Support for an existing codebase



  • This isn't really coding help, but it's the closest category.

    In May, I'll be leaving my current company where I've been employed as the sole developer for the last five years. I've built four main websites in PHP (using the Yii Framework). The main development work is basically complete, so the company has decided not to replace me as they don't think there will be enough work for a full time developer. They would like to find a separate company that can offer support on an ad-hoc basis for any small developments or urgent maintenance. For reference, the company is in Retford (Nottinghamshire) in the UK.

    Do such companies exist, and if so, what terms should I search for to find them? Does anyone have recommendations for suitable companies in the UK, or any other advice? Do any of you guys do PHP contracting work and would you be willing to offer such support?

    Fair warning: there's definitely some ugly code in there. You're not allowed to submit it to TDWTF.


  • β™Ώ

    @Keith said:

    The main development work is basically complete, so the company has decided not to replace me as they don't think there will be enough work for a full time developer.

    Do you think there'll not be enough work for a full time developer?


  • SockDev

    @Keith said:

    They would like to find a separate company that can offer support on an ad-hoc basis for any small developments or urgent maintenance.
    …
    Do such companies exist, and if so, what terms should I search for to find them?

    Search for IT consultants; that should be a good starting point at least ;)



  • @PJH said:

    Do you think there'll not be enough work for a full time developer?

    It would depend on whether they were going to do further development. If I was staying, I probably would have started to do some Android development work to provide information to engineers (non-software) when they're out at customer sites. The main value added work has been done though, so they're happy to stick with what they've got and just keep everything ticking over.

    @RaceProUK said:

    Search for IT consultants; that should be a good starting point at least

    I shall. It may be worth noting that the company doesn't want to have a support contract. The work would be purely on an ad-hoc basis.


  • SockDev

    @Keith said:

    @RaceProUK said:
    Search for IT consultants; that should be a good starting point at least

    I shall. It may be worth noting that the company doesn't want to have a support contract. The work would be purely on an ad-hoc basis.

    That's why I pointed you in that direction ;)



  • This one looks like a possibility:


  • SockDev

    those rescue or crisis moments when you have an issue with your site and your existing (in-house) developer or supplier is not available

    Yep, sounds like they'd fit the bill ;)



  • Why don't you do the consultancy. I mean, who better? Find yourself a 9-5 job and do consultancy with them later in the day. I'm sure you can get some juicy earnings this way.


  • SockDev

    He may not be able to, depending on time constraints and his new employer's contract terms.



  • @RaceProUK said:

    time constraints

    Money!

    @RaceProUK said:

    new employer's contract terms

    Negotiable.

    I've seen several coworkers take this path and become full-time freelancers. All they needed was their first client and he already has one.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @Eldelshell said:

    Negotiable.

    Doesn't mean that the negotiations will succeed. Sometimes the employer takes this as indicating that you just want a part-time job; if the post they're looking to fill is full-time, they'll say β€œthank you for coming; don't call us, we'll call you” and go to the next person in the stack of CVs.



  • @Eldelshell said:

    Why don't you do the consultancy. I mean, who better? Find yourself a 9-5 job and do consultancy with them later in the day. I'm sure you can get some juicy earnings this way.

    I was asked whether I'd be willing to do exactly that. My main concern is becoming financially liable if I break something and the fact that I don't eventually want to be attached to every previous job that I've ever had. I did say that I could ask my new employer about it, but I get the feeling that my current employer wanted a less formal arrangement.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @Keith said:

    Retford (Nottinghamshire)

    Dude! I didn't know you lived near me...


    Filed under: Nottingham bros!


  • I only work here. I'm living in York and will soon be working in Leeds. I think we can still be bros though. :+1:


  • SockDev

    @DoctorJones said:

    @Keith said:
    Retford (Nottinghamshire)

    Dude! I didn't know you lived near me...


    Filed under: Nottingham bros!
    I grew up in Nottingham (three months in the Meadows, then Bulwell from age 1 to 16, Kimberley after that); does that mean I can be in the Nottingham Bros. too?

  • β™Ώ


  • β™Ώ

    @RaceProUK said:

    does that mean I can be in the Nottingham Bros. too?

    Man, this stuff is just too confusing nowadays.


  • SockDev

    brother
    noun
    A thing which resembles or is connected to another thing

    Seems simple enough to me :stuck_out_tongue:


  • β™Ώ

    @RaceProUK said:

    A thing

    Ah, I see you're of the, "TDWTF members aren't people" faction.


  • SockDev

    @boomzilla said:

    Ah, I see you're of the, "TDWTF members aren't people" faction.

    :expressionless:

    :stuck_out_tongue:



  • I've been to Nottingham. Maybe as many as 3 times. I went to Rock City once.



  • What's the scope for ShNottingham Bros?

    I used to live like 35 miles from Nottingham.

    I even drove through part of Nottingham this morning.


  • SockDev

    @loopback0 said:

    What's the scope for Nottingham Bros?

    I'd say you have to have lived or worked there, but I don't want to presume too much; maybe @Keith and @DoctorJones wish to wade in?



  • Been drunk there far too many times, and did sort of technically work there.

    To be fair, I wasn't really expecting formerly living in the next county to count as Nottingham Bros. I just wanted to get the Shottingham dig in. :laughing:


  • SockDev

    @loopback0 said:

    Shottingham

    I know the city used to be called Snotingham, but Shottingham is a new one to me.



  • Gun crime, yo.


  • SockDev

    Ah, I remember now; The Meadows was meant to be the worst area for it, IIRC.


  • β™Ώ


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place



  • @loopback0 said:

    I even drove through part of Nottingham this morning.

    :scream:


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @RaceProUK said:

    I know the city used to be called Snotingham, but Shottingham is a new one to me.

    @loopback0 said:

    Gun crime, yo.

    St Anns is notorious for it. It's affectionately known by the locals as Stan's.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @loopback0 said:

    What's the scope for Nottingham Bros?

    @RaceProUK said:

    I'd say you have to have lived or worked there, but I don't want to presume too much; maybe @Keith and @DoctorJones wish to wade in?

    I think it'd be fair to say you need to have lived or worked there. Bonus points for living or working there right now.

    Perhaps this calls for a Nottingham Bros thread...


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.