TDWTF-based survival text-adventure


  • BINNED

    I can now see a TDWTF-based survival text-adventure arising...

    You wake up on a deserted island. Several TDWTF members are with you
    Your options are:

    • explore the area
    • argue about the best algorithm to use when exploring the area
    • draw a meme in the sand
    • start a random politics flamewar by blaming the shoddy boat construction on <insert political party here>
    • be a pedantic dickweed and point out that the island is, in fact, not deserted, but uninhabited, since no evidence of prior inhabitants can be found
    • find a bug in this game and post a rant about it on the forums

  • sockdevs

    @Onyx said:

    draw a meme in the sand

    That would be your job I guess ;)
    @Onyx said:
    be a pedantic dickweed and point out that the island is, in fact, not deserted, but uninhabited, since no evidence of prior inhabitants can be found

    That'd be one of the Viscounts, @abarker and @HardwareGeek
    @Onyx said:
    find a bug in this game and post a rant about it on the forums

    @blakeyrat :smile:



  • @Onyx said:

    - find a bug in this game and post a rant about it on the forums

    Ohhh.... a tba that breaks the fourth wall.

    And we have enough people and diversity to accomplish all that at once.



    • explore the area.

    With the sea to your back...

    You pick several visible points in the area and spend the next three days solving the traveling salesman problem.

    With solution in hand you embark to see what the island has to offer.

    You take ten paces and stumble upon sea again. The island is definitely small.

    blakey points to your right and you realize you were on the tip of a peninsula.

    Looks like we're back to recalculating the algorithm.




  • BINNED

    @RaceProUK said:

    That would be your job I guess

    Only if I can quote <insert random movie/show here> loudly while I do it.



  • I know,
    It's been in the back of my mind all this time.



  • @Onyx said:

    Only if I can quote <insert random obscure movie/show here> loudly while I do it.

    There you go ...



  • Hence why I replied to Onyx :D


  • BINNED

    @Luhmann said:

    There you go ...

    Not sure it counts as obscure with this crowd. At least one of you nerds usually gets it unless I botch the quote too badly trying to make it fit with the current conversation.

    @JazzyJosh said:

    Hence why I replied to Onyx

    I am aware of it. Still, those things are (relatively) easy to build and if I had enough time maybe I'd play with making one. I'd probably crowdsource the decision trees though.



  • @RaceProUK said:

    That'd be one of the Viscounts, @abarker and @HardwareGeek
    You rang@mentioned?
    @Onyx said:
    Your options are:
    - explore the area
    ...
    - be a pedantic dickweed and point out that the island is, in fact, not deserted, but uninhabited, since no evidence of prior inhabitants can be found

    However, it would be premature to make the claim that no evidence can be found until the area has been explored. Therefore, I would suggest that this option not be available until at least some exploration has been conducted. OTOH, having it provides the opportunity for additional pedantry by pointing out that it is inappropriate to jump to such a conclusion.


  • BINNED

    I so saw that coming... :expressionless:



  • @Onyx said:

    I so saw that coming... :expressionless:

    No INB4, so it doesn't count. :stuck_out_tongue:


  • sockdevs

    @HardwareGeek said:

    However, it would be premature to make the claim that no evidence can be found until the area has been explored. Therefore, I would suggest that this option not be available until at least some exploration has been conducted. OTOH, having it provides the opportunity for additional pedantry by pointing out that it is inappropriate to jump to such a conclusion.

    I r not disappoint :smile:



  • @RaceProUK said:

    I r not disappoint :smile:

    Does that make you appoint?


  • sockdevs

    @NedFodder said:

    @RaceProUK said:
    I r not disappoint :smile:

    Does that make you appoint?

    :rimshot:



  • @NedFodder said:

    Does that make you appoint?

    Hedgehogs have many points.



  • @HardwareGeek said:

    Hedgehogs have many points.

    So a disappointed hedgehog is basically naked.


  • sockdevs

    @NedFodder said:

    So a disappointed hedgehog is basically naked.

    Well, yes. Y'know, apart from the fur.



  • @Onyx said:

    - be a pedantic dickweed and point out that the island is, in fact, not deserted, but uninhabited, since no evidence of prior inhabitants can be found

    pe bedantic and point out that island may in fact be previously uninhabited.



  • I'm just going to start preemptively muting my own threads.


  • BINNED

    That's it, no game. We aren't past the first screen yet and you bastards managed to make the whole thread about it.


  • area_deu

    Would you prefer if we all ran to Steam right now and bought you that game?



  • @Onyx said:

    We aren't past the first screen yet and you bastards managed to make the whole thread about it.

    Correction: we derailed a pointless thread to discuss this



  • Can you collectively purchase a gift?
    That would be cool.

    Donate towards the purchase of a game for user x.


  • BINNED

    Send me some money and once there's enough I'll buy him the gift.

    You can trust me because I'm not a Nigerian prince


  • mod

    @HardwareGeek said:

    @RaceProUK said:
    @Onyx said:
    be a pedantic dickweed and point out that the island is, in fact, not deserted, but uninhabited, since no evidence of prior inhabitants can be found

    That'd be one of the Viscounts, @abarker and @HardwareGeek

    However, it would be premature to make the claim that no evidence can be found until the area has been explored. Therefore, I would suggest that this option not be available until at least some exploration has been conducted. OTOH, having it provides the opportunity for additional pedantry by pointing out that it is inappropriate to jump to such a conclusion.

    You are forgetting, however, that a deserted island would still be uninhabited. So technically, the "uninhabited island" moniker would be correct, regardless of whether we had discovered any evidence of prior inhabitants. Until such evidence was discovered, "uninhabited island" would be the most appropriate of the two terms to use, since it has the broader definition.

    OTOH, since the members of WTDWTF are now inhabiting the island, it is no longer uninhabited. Therefore, an even more appropriate term to use would be "previously uninhabited island." If we wanted to be truly specific, we would also need to acknowledge that other forms of life - such as bacteria, and likely animals - inhabit the island. With that in mind, the most appropriate phrase for the island would be "an island previously uninhabited by humans."


  • sockdevs

    Ooh, pendantry war…
    :popcorn.mp4:



  • @abarker said:

    "an island previously uninhabited by humans."

    Depends on which definition you are using.

    1. to live or dwell in (a place), as people or animals: Small animals inhabited the woods.
    2. to exist or be situated within; dwell in: Weird notions inhabit his mind.

    If you use the first definition, the correct statement would be, "Uninhabited by humans" (if you know there are no other humans). The reason being, as of that moment, you have no intention to live or dwell in the island. Maybe there's a ship offshore that saw the wreck.

    If you use the second definition, your statement is correct (if you know there are no other humans).

    The most correct statement, upon surviving a crash on this island would be,

    "OMG, someone please help. I don't want to inhabit this island."

    Unless, you saw the island and always wanted to go off grid. Then your statement would be,

    "Thank the heavens. I don't have to go to that 10 o'clock meeting in Bangkok. FREEDOM!!!"


  • mod

    @xaade said:

    Depends on which definition you are using.

    1. to live or dwell in (a place), as people or animals: Small animals inhabited the woods.
    2. to exist or be situated within; dwell in: Weird notions inhabit his mind.

    If you use the first definition, the correct statement would be, "Uninhabited by humans" (if you know there are no other humans). The reason being, as of that moment, you have no intention to live or dwell in the island. Maybe there's a ship offshore that saw the wreck.

    If you use the second definition, your statement is correct (if you know there are no other humans).

    The most correct statement, upon surviving a crash on this island would be,

    "OMG, someone please help. I don't want to inhabit this island."

    Unless, you saw the island and always wanted to go off grid. Then your statement would be,

    "Thank the heavens. I don't have to go to that 10 o'clock meeting in Bangkok. FREEDOM!!!"

    Normally, I would say you have a point. However, there is no indication that we were wrecked on the island. @Onyx simply said:

    You wake up on a deserted island. Several TDWTF members are with you

    In other words, we don't know how we got on the island. For all we know, we were placed on the island deliberately. The option to start a flamewar over the shoddy boat construction could be a diversionary tactic. Until more information is gleaned, we must assume that we will be residing on the island for the foreseeable future.


  • BINNED

    @abarker said:

    You wake up on a deserted island. Several TDWTF members are with you

    That's logically inconsistent. How can there be anybody with me if the island is deserted.

    The only logical conclusion is that you're all ghosts


  • BINNED

    You people are all fucking insane! What is this madness? Holy crap, I expected to get someone to chuckle at that, maybe even hit "Like" if they feel extremely generous. I leave the computer and return to a Jeffed topic where people are picking apart something I wrote in 2 minutes as a silly aside. You are all, every each one of you, completely mental!

    I love all of you crazy bastards right now. I'd hug you all but I don't know where you've been before I found you.


  • BINNED

    @Onyx said:

    I don't know where you've been

    we were on...

    the Island


  • BINNED

    Oh, it's not that nice. I forgot to mention lasers, didn't I?


  • mod

    @Onyx said:

    Oh, it's not that nice. I forgot to mention lasers, didn't I?

    Glad I'm just standing around arguing pendantry. @xaade is belgium­ed though.



  • I'll go with the option to find the guy that is in the middle of a rant and see if I can make his mouth froth.

    Then, as he starts throwing things around, I suggest that someone tracks where they land and thereby make a map of the vincinity.


  • BINNED

    @Mikael_Svahnberg said:

    Then, as he starts throwing things around, I suggest that someone tracks where they land and thereby make a map of the vincinity.

    I am unclear on how you intend to track the thrown objects. If you just mean "go out and look for them" then you're just wasting time and objects since you could just go to the place where they landed anyway.



  • @abarker said:

    In other words, we don't know how we got on the island. For all we know, we were placed on the island deliberately.

    Shit, are we in Lost?



  • That's The Village...



  • "An argument arises as to how the objects should best be tracked"

    I meant visually following their orbits and see where they land. But I leave this as a detail to whoever the 'someone' is that actually decides to track the objects.

    Are there any supplies? I am getting hungry.

    oh, and stay clear of the shrubbery over there for now. It's infested with foxes and hedgehogs.


  • mod

    @tar said:

    Shit, are we in Lost?

    Nah, they know how they got on the island. They crashed. Or went there deliberately, depending on who you are talking about. We're just utterly clueless.

    @Onyx said:

    Oh, it's not that nice. I forgot to mention lasers, didn't I?

    Going back to our previous discussion regarding the deserted/uninhabited/previously uninhabited status of the island, I propose that the presence of a functional laser grid indicates the following possibilities:

    • The island is inhabited by sentient beings we have yet to encounter.
    • The island is recently deserted.
    • The island is not inhabited, but is frequently visited. The fact that those who visit the island feel the need to protect it indicates one of two things:
    • Those who visit the island are protecting something on the island and will not hesitate to kill us on sight.
    • They are protecting the rest of the world from something on the island.


  • @abarker said:

    They are protecting the rest of the world from something on the island.

    :wave:

    That something would be us.



  • Perhaps the island is inhabited by lasers? Or sharks? Or some combination thereof?



  • You see that you are shadowed briefly, and then can hear the crackling whoosh of wake turbulence hitting the ground. You look up, and see a very large flying serpent soaring overhead...



  • Someone didn't get the joke?



  • @Onyx said:

    past the first screen yet

    He he he...poking the bear, eh? No, that was not a euphemism about a queen, @tar.



  • @RaceProUK said:

    Ooh, pendantry war…

    Pg Dn



  • Is there such a thing as a bearqueen? Or a queenbear? I'm not sure how to relate these two concepts.



  • @Mikael_Svahnberg said:

    am getting hungry.

    oh, and stay clear of the shrubbery over there for now. It's infested with foxes and hedgehogs.

    Maybe we can kill two birds with one stone ... Clear out the bushes and have something to eat.



  • After all ... There could be berries at those bushes


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.