Step 1: Become recruitment consultant

• Step 2: Ask other people to do the work for you. Constantly. At least twice a month or 3 times a day. 7th time since the new year that this has landed in my inbox from the same person - one of at least 4 doing it. 3rd time today. Is this common for anyone else?

At first I thought it was just a shockingly unsubtle marketing ploy but now I'm thinking it's just laziness and idiocy.

• sockdevs

i'd report them to the BBB (or proper UK equivalent)

Seriously. that sort of spamming is not cool..

• So you get contacted by someone trying to fill an opening and they ask if you know anyone who might be looking? That doesn't seem odd at all, though how often from the same person does sound like they don't have enough people to reach out to (or need to start tracking who they have reached out to before).

• If it's unsolicited, it's called "spam". I don't know what Irish people do about spam (eat pickled meat products?), but here in the US we have laws against it.

• sockdevs

@accalia said:

or proper UK equivalent

I was going to say the Trading Standards Authority (yes, TSA; no, not that one), but I'm not sure they deal with that sort of thing…

• sockdevs

well to be honest i'm not sure BBB is the correct place to report them to in the US either....

it would be a start though.

• @locallunatic said:

So you get contacted by someone trying to fill an opening and they ask if you know anyone who might be looking? That doesn't seem odd at all

Occasionally, yes. 7 times in under 3 months including 3 times in one day and every single one untargeted and vague? Poor business practice. Especially when other recruitment consultants do a far better job (And at least include "Hello Thegoryone" instead of "Hi".

• sockdevs

Ah, it seems the correct UK authority is the Information Commissioner's Office

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

I get a few job specs with a "if this isn't suitable pass it on to someone else and we'll give you £250 if they're placed", nothing as lazy as yours

• @thegoryone said:

Occasionally, yes.

Which was my point. Are you responding to any of their messages? If you aren't then you are probably on a "spam this person" list rather than the actual contacts list. Try asking them to knock it off.

• @locallunatic said:

Are you responding to any of their messages?

Good god no, they aren't even a direct contact - they're a 2nd level - 2nd degree...2nd...er...2nd ContactIn? LinkedFriend? Whatever. Paying for InMails.

@locallunatic said:

Try asking them to knock it off.

I have done so (politely). If they send me another message though I'm going to send their info to @blakeyrat and pay him to annihilate their self-worth.

@Jaloopa said:

I get a few job specs with a "if this isn't suitable pass it on to someone else and we'll give you £250 if they're placed", nothing as lazy as yours

That wouldn't be so bad, I've seen that a couple of times and it doesn't bother me because at least it's "Do you want this? No? We'll give you money if you know someone else who does!"

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

I get those from time to time. I think the wording is such that they really would like you, the recipient, to express interest in whatever position they're presenting, without them coming right out and asking that in case you decide to tell your employer about it.

• As long as I get part of your commission.

Yours Sincerely,

The other guy that likes money.

@thegoryone said:

At first I thought it was just a shockingly unsubtle marketing ploy but now I'm thinking it's just laziness and idiocy.

You should ask them if they give finder's fees.

• I read the title as "PHP Vaccines". Take from that what you will.

• I did too, at first glance.

• If there was a vaccine for PHP, I think even the anti-vaxxers would get it.

• Just put this in your cron.daily:

find / -name php* -exec rm -rf {} +

• mod

@thegoryone said:

If they send me another message though I'm going to send their info to @blakeyrat and pay him to annihilate their self-worth.

How can I get in on that deal?

• There was at one time a very active "black list" for awful recruiters, along with helpers to add all of the e-mails from the list into your favorite e-mail blockers...It might be time to reactivate that...

• FYI, you don't need to use -exec since you also have -delete which works only on files and since you're deleting folders, wouldn't work in this case, but I think it would be good for you to know if you didn't.

Also, php is usually installed in /usr so no need to check the whole filesystem.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@Eldelshell said:

usually

You can't be too careful, this is PHP

• I know about -delete. It doesn't work here since I may be deleting a PHP installation folder...

• @Eldelshell said:

Also, php is usually installed in /usr so no need to check the whole filesystem.

Assuming you're not one of those masochists who runs a WAMP stack.

@RaceProUK said:

but I'm not sure they deal with that sort of thing…

I'm not sure they actually deal with anything (effectively.)

They're toothless.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@ben_lubar said:

I read the title as "PHP Vaccines". Take from that what you will.

@HardwareGeek said:

I did too, at first glance.

I will third that.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.