Because there's so much wrong with iTunes

• Dupa

@TimeBandit said in Because there's so much wrong with iTunes:

@kt_ said in Because there's so much wrong with iTunes:

Yeah, sure, like any of that even matters when you're an Apple fanboy

Makes more sense like this

Yeah, sure, like any of that even matters.

• Dupa

Ok, I'll try to be serious for a moment.

@accalia said in Because there's so much wrong with iTunes:

I think @accalia's rant about Apple making SD card slot in their laptops half inside/half outside so that people can't easily extend their drives (cause yeah, sure, that's why so many manufacturers do it that way).

then tell me, why is it that "full sized" SD card slots are not full sized.

Are you even serious? There could be a hundred of reasons! A lot of them having to do with the way the internals are built and that most people don't really care about the ad card slots 'a construction.

oh, and i interact with apple products daily because about half the company laptops are apples.

we buy the apple laptops for 2.5 k$, and they are outspecc'd by the HP Elite books we buy for 2.2k$.

the elitebooks have a 3 year warranty, the apples have two, and an extra year is not available to us wholesale, we have to buy them separately. We don't bother however, because one in ten apple laptop makes it past the 2 year mark without needing to get replaced for damage, or under warranty.

the elitebooks on the other hand have a 60% survival rate well on into 5 years, although we replace them every 3-4 (depending on yearly budget) because after that they are underperforming to the point efficiency suffers.

Additionally our helpdesk spends 3-5x as much on replacement parts for the Apple products as they do for the PCs. and yes this is all itemized out and verifiable.

oh, and 3 out of 5 laptops that land on that helpdesk with issues that require diagnosis and resolution by our helpdesk technicians are apple laptops.

we pay more, for lower specs, for lower survivability and lower reliability, and higher helpdesk resource requirements.

I wouldn't know, I've never owned an Apple laptop. I've been talking mainly about their phones the whole time, however none of my friends who own MacBooks has ever complained about that and I know a few have laptops older than 2 years. Either way, I wouldn't know.

Apple may work well for you personally, and bully for you if it does, but from where I sit the only way to make apple work "right" is to have a completely homogenous network where the only products in it are apple branded. Otherwise, you will have issues.

I don't have any other apple piece of equipment and I've never had any problems. Are you talking iTunes? I use iTunes only for backups. Spotify rules!

That's nothing i'm willing to accept for my personal use, and it's the reason i am vocal against apple product (that and the business practices of apple and apple's board partners)

I wanted to say something about "then stop going around calling Apple users iDiots but then I realized it's not you who does that.

• @kt_ said in Because there's so much wrong with iTunes:

Ok, I'll try to be serious for a moment.

I think @accalia's rant about Apple making SD card slot in their laptops half inside/half outside so that people can't easily extend their drives (cause yeah, sure, that's why so many manufacturers do it that way).

then tell me, why is it that "full sized" SD card slots are not full sized.

Are you even serious? There could be a hundred of reasons! A lot of them having to do with the way the internals are built and that most people don't really care about the ad card slots 'a construction.

oh, and i interact with apple products daily because about half the company laptops are apples.

we buy the apple laptops for 2.5 k$, and they are outspecc'd by the HP Elite books we buy for 2.2k$.

the elitebooks have a 3 year warranty, the apples have two, and an extra year is not available to us wholesale, we have to buy them separately. We don't bother however, because one in ten apple laptop makes it past the 2 year mark without needing to get replaced for damage, or under warranty.

the elitebooks on the other hand have a 60% survival rate well on into 5 years, although we replace them every 3-4 (depending on yearly budget) because after that they are underperforming to the point efficiency suffers.

Additionally our helpdesk spends 3-5x as much on replacement parts for the Apple products as they do for the PCs. and yes this is all itemized out and verifiable.

oh, and 3 out of 5 laptops that land on that helpdesk with issues that require diagnosis and resolution by our helpdesk technicians are apple laptops.

we pay more, for lower specs, for lower survivability and lower reliability, and higher helpdesk resource requirements.

I wouldn't know, I've never owned an Apple laptop. I've been talking mainly about their phones the whole time, however none of my friends who own MacBooks has ever complained about that and I know a few have laptops older than 2 years. Either way, I wouldn't know.

Apple may work well for you personally, and bully for you if it does, but from where I sit the only way to make apple work "right" is to have a completely homogenous network where the only products in it are apple branded. Otherwise, you will have issues.

I don't have any other apple piece of equipment and I've never had any problems. Are you talking iTunes? I use iTunes only for backups. Spotify rules!

That's nothing i'm willing to accept for my personal use, and it's the reason i am vocal against apple product (that and the business practices of apple and apple's board partners)

I wanted to say something about "then stop going around calling Apple users iDiots but then I realized it's not you who does that.

Yeah, sure, like any of that even matters.

Yeah, sure, like any of that Nescafé even matters.

FTFG

• FoxDev

Are you even serious?

yes, i am actually.

they are not the full size of a SD card so advertizing them as a full sized card slot is disengenuous. they could advertize them as a "Slimline SD card slot, compatible with Full Size SD cards" or any number of a hundred other ways. they don't, and in doing so they cause much annoyance to those of us who desire expandable storage in our devices.

If they don't have the room for a full depth slot then put a micro SD card slot in instead. that takes up less room than the full depth one and doesn't take extra circuitry (though it does take slightly smaller circuitry)

I wouldn't know, I've never owned an Apple laptop.

then do me a favor mate, don't dismiss it out of hand without considering matters. you called me out on apple hating (even if you were conflating me with someone else at the time) and i left a reasoned response why i do infact hate apple, which you then responded to with naught but a brush off.

If you want to be serious then be serious, if you want to be a wack wavy inflatable arm man then be a wacky wavy inflatable arm man, but don't expect me to respond in kind, nor be amused, when you call me out in all apparent seriousness and then brush my response off as if it's meaningless when i reply.

I don't have any other apple piece of equipment and I've never had any problems.

bully for you! congratulations! unicorns do exist! huzzar! hip hip horray! and all that toff!

no, that's me. but i have learned to say it with my inside my head voice because of conversations such as this where i try to argue from a position of reason and i am refuted from a position of devotion. the two positions are not conducive to continued conversation so i steer clear of it when possible.

not sure who it is that says it with their outside voice these days.... some one here probably does though.

• area_can

@RaceProUK said in Because there's so much wrong with iTunes:

Same applies to Windows Phone: you can turn on the ability to sideload apps without getting a dev license or anything.

Not true. There are no apps available for Windows phone

• @accalia said in Because there's so much wrong with iTunes:

costing more cash, costing mroe maintenance, delivering less performance, and delivering less usable lifetime

Personally I haven't had these problems (other than the initial cost). I got a Macbook in 2012, I think the last model where you could upgrade RAM and disk, and so far I haven't had any major problems with it. The battery isn't as good as when it was brand new, and lately the wifi has got a bit flaky, but it's hard to tell how much of that is the fault of the laptop, or due to being in an apartment with like 40 networks nearby interfering with my obviously more important radio waves.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Tsaukpaetra said in Because there's so much wrong with iTunes:

Almost no phones have manufacturer support.

Except iPhones up to four years old. Which was my point.

@Polygeekery said in Because there's so much wrong with iTunes:

I don't even know what Kenco is, but just by looking at its name I can tell it's shite compared to Nescafé!

How does it compare to iTunes?

Easier to drink, harder to buy music on.

@RaceProUK said in Because there's so much wrong with iTunes:

@hungrier That's the image!

So oft-repeated is just an old image about a phone released in 2014? Keep up.

Like 4 people use NFC anyway, except for payments.

• @loopback0 said in Because there's so much wrong with iTunes:

Like 4 people use NFC anyway, except for payments.

Just because Apple doesn't support it doesn't mean it's useless.

I have a Bluetooth speaker that, when you want to pair to it, you can just tap your phone on it.
    Except if you have an iPhone, then you need to do the whole "put-it-in-pairing-mode" dance.

But don't worry, maybe one day Apple will "invent" that !

Oh hell, you started the SD card slot thing again?! Godspeed my friend.

anecdata on Apple vs HP

My anecdata differs.
    It differs even more now our Windows machines are all Lenovo because they're fucking terribly made, which is a total shame because Thinkpads were awesome back in the day.

Just because Apple doesn't support it doesn't mean it's useless.

I didn't say it was useless, just barely anyone uses it except for payments.
    Also Apple were behind on adding NFC payments to the phone but they got it widely adopted in the UK before Android did.

But don't worry, maybe one day Apple will "invent" that !

Nah they'll just invent something very similar yet not entirely compatible and call it something else.

• Dupa

Are you even serious?

yes, i am actually.

they are not the full size of a SD card so advertizing them as a full sized card slot is disengenuous. they could advertize them as a "Slimline SD card slot, compatible with Full Size SD cards" or any number of a hundred other ways. they don't, and in doing so they cause much annoyance to those of us who desire expandable storage in our devices.

If they don't have the room for a full depth slot then put a micro SD card slot in instead. that takes up less room than the full depth one and doesn't take extra circuitry (though it does take slightly smaller circuitry)

I wouldn't know, I've never owned an Apple laptop.

then do me a favor mate, don't dismiss it out of hand without considering matters. you called me out on apple hating (even if you were conflating me with someone else at the time) and i left a reasoned response why i do infact hate apple, which you then responded to with naught but a brush off.

If you want to be serious then be serious, if you want to be a wack wavy inflatable arm man then be a wacky wavy inflatable arm man, but don't expect me to respond in kind, nor be amused, when you call me out in all apparent seriousness and then brush my response off as if it's meaningless when i reply.

I don't have any other apple piece of equipment and I've never had any problems.

bully for you! congratulations! unicorns do exist! huzzar! hip hip horray! and all that toff!

no, that's me. but i have learned to say it with my inside my head voice because of conversations such as this where i try to argue from a position of reason and i am refuted from a position of devotion. the two positions are not conducive to continued conversation so i steer clear of it when possible.

not sure who it is that says it with their outside voice these days.... some one here probably does though.

I wanted to respond but then I read this:

no, that's me. but i have learned to say it with my inside my head voice because of conversations such as this where i try to argue from a position of reason and i am refuted from a position of devotion.

And then I remembered that the position of reason you tried to argue was the Tim Cook shtick and I realized: why bother?

For the last time: listen, matey. I'm not going around saying "Apple makes the best stuff", or even "Apple makes better than stuff than Samsung/HTC/Google/LG/Sony/whoever else". What I do do, and what you could have seen me doing around here for a while, is getting worked up when I see stupid ad hominem (Apple stuff users are idiots/sheeple), or infuriating lies (Apple' stuff is no good and my stuff made by manufacturer is so much better, oh, and I'm not a sheeple this way).

I don't give a fuck, that you got me on the laptop quality compared to the HP business series (which is really great, BTW, I like it very much), it was not the point. The thing that's central to what I'm always trying to say is, apple products are good, the ecosystem is nice and a lot of stuff you care about is not important for most of the people who invest in their products. Walled garden? Cried me a river, never missed how in the past I was able to install apks from outside of the store. iTunes? Cry me a river, I use it for backups only, works great for that. Cost? Cry me a river, those phones are not that expensive, especially when you buy them on a plan from the carrier. No headphone jack? Cry me a river, I never charge and listen and this could lead to an increase in the quality of wireless ear/headphones in general.

And on the other hand: it's easy to buy from Apple, their marketing is simple, clear, you don't have to choose from x different models which all differ in some weird numbers most people don't even understand. The lock-in that comes with iOS/macOS also means that people don't have to choose not only between Samsung XY1Z234*+{> and Acer *133@ super power edition, they simply buy Apple: one company, one website, easy decision. Thank you very much. This is what you pay for, this why it's more expensive. It's important to some people.

Hardware quality? You're the first person I hear ranting about MacBooks. I don't know, maybe your company uses it in a very intensive manner, because no one I know has had problems with the hardware. There's quite a few people here, on this site, that use MacBooks and look no further than @Polygeekery's tale of becoming an Apple products user for a story of why this works for people and why they are satisfied with this stuff.

And this is the crux. I don't go around these boards shouting: LG users are sheeple, *those who bought the latest Note are morons staying for too long with an awful company, following the hype!", "HP personal line laptop users are idiots, because they make awful hardware for home that breaks much too often!", "windows phone users are fanboys investing in a dying platform!". But for some reason that's what you do. There's more! You say that just to add at the end of a long rant that "maybe it works for you for your personal use case". Of course it fucking does! Can't you get it? That's the reason why my friend bought an Alcatel phone, another one has some Chinese device I don't even know the name of the company that manufactured it. My girlfriends has a Lenovo Yoga laptop that I would've never bought, but she's satisfied with it for the reason that could ever have spoken to me.

And this is the reason why you fucking see me ranting in those Apple-bashing threads. Because I fucking cant believe that there could really be people that can't fucking understand why some people like Apple's products and decide to stay with them. Why some people would prefer a fucking Nokia 3310 or a win phone to material design. Why, the fuck? It's so clear!

Do you really think that everyone around you using an Apple product is a brainwashed zombie? Of course you don't, you said it yourself "maybe it works for you". So why do you pretend you do? Why do you have to fucking start up a conversation about the quality of Apple products and sanity of their clients by going into the full Tim Cook shtick? Even after I (the Apple fanboy, as you have called me, always answering from the position of devotion!) have humorously dismissed @masonwheeler's provocation with a South Park joke?

I'm really extremely tired of being called a moron just because I like the phone I have. It's ridiculous and although I know I shouldn't react when I see those insults, it still does sometimes infuriate me.

So yeah, either grow up and stop the adolescent "all Apple userz are stupid fanboys fuck them hard and the company I'm start" and we can start having real conversations, or GTFO.

grow up and stop the adolescent ... and we can start having real conversations

YMBNH™

• Dupa

@loopback0 said in Because there's so much wrong with iTunes:

grow up and stop the adolescent ... and we can start having real conversations

YMBNH™

Yeah, I know. But I wouldn't have suggested that if it wasn't what she ranted about not being able to have here. :D

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@Polygeekery's tale of becoming an Apple products user

I'm a poster child for something. I've never been a poster child. I have been an antithesis, a failed example, a counter example, an alcoholic, a bad son, a shitty employee, a raving lunatic, a capitalist pig, a guy who could break an anvil, a bad code monkey...Never been a poster child.

Not sure how I feel about this.

• Dupa

@Polygeekery said in Because there's so much wrong with iTunes:

@Polygeekery's tale of becoming an Apple products user

I'm a poster child for something. I've never been a poster child. I have been an antithesis, a failed example, a counter example, an alcoholic, a bad son, a shitty employee, a raving lunatic, a capitalist pig, a guy who could break an anvil, a bad code monkey...Never been a poster child.

Not sure how I feel about this.

Your story was just soooo moving! Perfect for making you a poster child!

In all seriousness though, you have written a post about how you changed your opinion about stuff based on first-hand experience. You had it coming. :P

you changed your opinion about stuff based on first-hand experience

:doing_it_wrong:

• @Polygeekery said in Because there's so much wrong with iTunes:

Not sure how I feel about this

Bah, just have another glass of vodka, you'll feel better about it.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@TimeBandit way ahead of you.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

About the SD card thing, I'm not going to say either side is complete right-- but @accalia is completely right.

Fuck whatever penny-pinching shitwad invented the half-depth slot. They probably thought "hey if I eliminate the spring and use 5mm less plastic that's a whole saving of 0.05 cents (not 0.05 dollars) per unit. We're going to manufacture 10M of these. That's a saving of FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!!

Now I have half of my tiny, thin, flimsy plastic chip sitting outside the laptop case. The laptop itself is several pounds of SOLID. The SD card is elevated. Effectively, it's now a nice lever to multiple any force applied to it. One wrong move by me, someone around me, my kid, my dog-- or just a stray book falling off a shelf-- and the SD card goes SNAP.

Fuck you hard, idiot designers, whoever you are.

@Lorne-Kates said in Because there's so much wrong with iTunes:

. One wrong move by me, someone around me, my kid, my dog-- or just a stray book falling off a shelf-- and the SD card goes SNAP.

Half an SD card isn't that much. It'd take a lot of effort to snap one in the slot.

• Dupa

@HardwareGeek said in Because there's so much wrong with iTunes:

you changed your opinion about stuff based on first-hand experience

:doing_it_wrong:

Oops… but… eh. Fuck!

• :belt_onion:

@loopback0 said in Because there's so much wrong with iTunes:

@Lorne-Kates said in Because there's so much wrong with iTunes:

. One wrong move by me, someone around me, my kid, my dog-- or just a stray book falling off a shelf-- and the SD card goes SNAP.

Half an SD card isn't that much. It'd take a lot of effort to snap one in the slot.

Eh, I can see that happening easily. Whether I'd make as big of a deal as @accalia is? Nah. But to each their own pet peeve.

Oh fuck, I am grumpy in he morning!

You need better coffee. :trollface:

they simply buy Apple: one company, one website, easy decision. Thank you very much. This is what you pay for, this why it's more expensive

That doesn't follow though. Why do you pay more for that? It seems like people want to literally pay more money just to think less. About something that isn't even that hard to think about. It's not that much work to, to take the laptop example, go to a site like Newegg and compare options. Especially when we're talking about $100+ savings. I'm not trying to insult you here, but that's where the "sheeple" comments come from. You're paying a significant amount more just to avoid having to think about your decision.

My biggest beef with Apple, from personal experience, is how hard it is to integrate their crap with everyone else. If you're not running Apple MacBooks via Apple AirPorts taking to Apple iPhones, using Apple iTunes to talk to the device, and Apple iMessage to chat, exclusively, you're :doing_it_wrong: and it just won't work like it should. This may be an exaggeration, but not by much. Apple seems to have the philosophy of "bully everyone else into using our stuff". And I'm really not a fan.

• Dupa

@sloosecannon said in Because there's so much wrong with iTunes:

they simply buy Apple: one company, one website, easy decision. Thank you very much. This is what you pay for, this why it's more expensive

That doesn't follow though. Why do you pay more for that? It seems like people want to literally pay more money just to think less. About something that isn't even that hard to think about. It's not that much work to, to take the laptop example, go to a site like Newegg and compare options. Especially when we're talking about $100+ savings. I'm not trying to insult you here, but that's where the "sheeple" comments come from. You're paying a significant amount more just to avoid having to think about your decision.

A valid point, but not as much.

Imagine you don't work in IT, imagine you know nothing or very little about computers. Now, is i5 6600k better than i7 6700k better than i7 4790k? Well, you sure as hell can find out. But then you see an AMD processor and so you need to start looking around again. Then, is Asus better than an Acer? Will HP be a good computer for you? Should you get a probook or an elitebook? Is Lenovo as good as they say? But then a Thinkpad or a yoga? Get an SSD or a HDD, is it worth it to buy a 128 GB surface book or should you invest more and get the 256 one?

It's not "not much work", it's a lot of work, especially if you want to it right. Or you could ask a friend "who knows a lot about computers" and maybe they'd choose a computer for you. But maybe they wouldn't, they don't have the time. With Apple you can be sure the hardware will be good, at least good enough. You can be sure that if you own one device, it'll be easy to get used to a new one. You can be sure they will be playing nice together. These are all great benefits for the average user!

Also: if you start investing in the platform, it's worth it to stay with it. Moving to a new one is another great amount of work, you need to find new services, transfer data, set them up so that you can use them easily, learn to use them. That's another very high cost.

Sure, for some it's a no brained: you know the subject, you can choose something and you're sure you'll be satisfied with what you have chosen, you have those extra hours to make the switch, etc. not everybody does.

Me? I like iPhones and that's the only Apple thing I have. iOS is very intuitive, hardware is nice, I like the ecosystem, I've invested in the platform. It doesn't have feature X or it's got Y worse than competitor Z? Doesn't really matter to me, I like the ease of use and that I know it I can just use it, without a hitch. Cause for me that's what is, in the end: a tool and I don't want it to get in my way.

My biggest beef with Apple, from personal experience, is how hard it is to integrate their crap with everyone else. If you're not running Apple MacBooks via Apple AirPorts taking to Apple iPhones, using Apple iTunes to talk to the device, and Apple iMessage to chat, exclusively, you're :doing_it_wrong: and it just won't work like it should. This may be an exaggeration, but not by much. Apple seems to have the philosophy of "bully everyone else into using our stuff". And I'm really not a fan.

Another valid point. To some extent. iMessage is nice and it won't ever bite you in the ass. No iMessage? You'll send a text message. No biggy.

Other than that? Sure, Apple wants to you use Apple products. That comes at the added benefit of knowing they will mostly Just Work, so f you can and want to invest in that, you'll get a seamless experience.

If not, depends on your use case. My phone rarely talks to my computer. Only to make backups. I've got my music in the cloud, I've got my photos in the cloud, I've got my contacts in the cloud, I've got my reading list in the cloud, I've even got my cloud in the cloud. So it doesn't bother me, although I know that syncing music can be a pain and I wouldn't recommend getting an iPhone to people who do that often, or who are in the risk of losing their music library somewhere along the way, unless there is another reason an iPhone would be good for them.

On the other hand, that doesn't mean I will always stay with iPhones, I've been thinking about getting a Nexus some day (now it would have to be a Pixel?). They seem quite nice. Or if Microsoft ever recovers from the Lumia fiasco, maybe a surface phone?

• BINNED

@sloosecannon said in Because there's so much wrong with iTunes:

how hard it is to integrate their crap with everyone else.

and that's the walled garden part. It's not about installing apk's ... it's about not being locked in at a certain environment or company. Or at least allowing me to choices. On Android if you don't like Google's offer, use a different application of service but to the rest of the phone the other service will be handled no differently.

those phones are not that expensive, especially when you buy them on a plan from the carrier.

😆

They're actually very expensive to buy that way; it's effectively a truly shit financing plan for the phone with some phone and internet service attached. Don't believe me? Do the figures. Shop around.

• @dkf Not in Poland. Hardware is pretty expensive, but services are cheap.

• Dupa

@dkf said in Because there's so much wrong with iTunes:

those phones are not that expensive, especially when you buy them on a plan from the carrier.

😆

They're actually very expensive to buy that way; it's effectively a truly shit financing plan for the phone with some phone and internet service attached. Don't believe me? Do the figures. Shop around.

In Poland it's around 5% more expensive than buying the phone outright. Unless you count in the dodgy eBay sellers. But I wouldn't buy a phone that way.

Also, as @coldandtired said, we have pretty awesome carrier plans around here.

I guess this is a country-specific thing.

They're actually very expensive to buy that way

Not always. Paying for my phone as part of a 2 year contract costs £30 extra than what it would have cost to buy outright.

• kills Dumbledore

iMessage is nice and it won't ever bite you in the ass. No iMessage? You'll send a text message. No biggy

Unless you move to another platform and don't realise that you have to tell Apple you're not using an iPhone any more. Then any text from an iPhone user goes into a black hole because it's not sent as a text even though it's sent from the app you use to send text messages.

It's usually cheaper to buy the phone on a 20% APR credit card and pay it off over a year or two, than to get a phone contract, assuming you get a decent SIM only plan (I pay £7.50 a month and could pay less for my usage, but it doesn't seem worth it for a couple of quid a month)

@Jaloopa said in Because there's so much wrong with iTunes:

Unless you move to another platform and don't realise that you have to tell Apple you're not using an iPhone any more. Then any text from an iPhone user goes into a black hole because it's not sent as a text even though it's sent from the app you use to send text messages.

It doesn't work like this any more. If I even try to send one message to another iPhone which is out of signal or off or whatever, it'll fall back to SMS fairly quickly.

• kills Dumbledore

@loopback0 fair enough. That's one complaint sorted then

On the other hand, that doesn't mean I will always stay with iPhones, I've been thinking about getting a Nexus some day (now it would have to be a Pixel?). They seem quite nice. Or if Microsoft ever recovers from the Lumia fiasco, maybe a surface phone?

As a current Pixel owner, I can attest to it being a fantastic choice. It's essentially Google's iPhone, except with the same ecosystem and advantages as the rest of the Android devices. If you're looking to try an Android phone, it's a great choice. It's the first phone I've owned that I haven't even rooted - I don't need to!

iMessage is nice and it won't ever bite you in the ass.

0_1484662741143_upload-617f3db0-8bb7-45d0-b557-408fdd2d21d5

• @sloosecannon said in Because there's so much wrong with iTunes:

It seems like people want to literally pay more money just to think less.

That surprises you? Most people will do almost anything to avoid thinking.

My ex-wife is computer semi-literate — she knows how to do stuff with a computer but almost nothing about computers themselves. She knows what she knows, but she doesn't really know how to learn; she needs someone to teach her, step by step, any new task that she needs or wants to learn.

As we were splitting up, she wanted to buy a new computer — a laptop — with some of the money from the sale of the house. (I took the desktops, the newest of which was already getting a bit long in the tooth.) I suggested she would get the most bang for the buck with a Windows system, but she decided on Apple. The main reason for this was that, for an extra $100 when she bought it, whatever she needed, she could walk into the Apple Store and they'd make it happen. Whether that was showing her how to, say, copy-and-paste from one application to another, creating and restoring backups, or reinstalling the OS, she paid the Apple Geniuses to think about it so she didn't have to. (Sadly, the initial $100 didn't cover damage from dropping it — my ex loves things that are fragile, but they don't love her — but still, she didn't have to think about it, just pay them to make it right.) She considered this money well spent, and she used it for far more than $100 worth of support.

it's easy to buy from Apple, their marketing is simple, clear, you don't have to choose from x different models which all differ in some weird numbers most people don't even understand.

Yet, people are able to shop for cars, even if every manufacturer propose different models with different options.
    Should I get a manual or automatic ?
    4 or 6 cylinders ?
    Gas, diesel or hybrid ?
    Hatchback or sedan ?
    All-wheel-drive or not ?
    With or without a remote starter ?
    Which of the 10 different colors should I choose ?

AH !!! FUCK THIS SHIT !
    Why doesn't Apple make cars with only one model, no options and only 2 different colors. It would make my life so much easier.

Imagine you don't work in IT the automobile industry, imagine you know nothing or very little about computers cars. Now, is i5 6600k 4 cylinders better than i7 6700k 6 cylinders better than i7 4790k 8 cylinders? Well, you sure as hell can find out. But then you see an AMD processor hybrid car and so you need to start looking around again. Then, is Asus BMW better than an Acer Audi? Will HP Ford be a good computer car for you? Should you get a probook compact or an elitebook mid-size? Is Lenovo Toyota as good as they say? But then a Thinkpad Corolla or a yoga Camry?

Fuck this, I'm using Uber.

Why doesn't Apple make cars with only one model, no options and only 2 different colors.

Apple should invent the Ford Model T?

• @loopback0 said in Because there's so much wrong with iTunes:

Apple should invent the Ford Model T?

Yes, and you can have it any color you want.

As long as it is black.

@TimeBandit heh you got to the car analogy before I did.

• Dupa

it's easy to buy from Apple, their marketing is simple, clear, you don't have to choose from x different models which all differ in some weird numbers most people don't even understand.

Yet, people are able to shop for cars, even if every manufacturer propose different models with different options.
    Should I get a manual or automatic ?
    4 or 6 cylinders ?
    Gas, diesel or hybrid ?
    Hatchback or sedan ?
    All-wheel-drive or not ?
    With or without a remote starter ?
    Which of the 10 different colors should I choose ?

AH !!! FUCK THIS SHIT !
    Why doesn't Apple make cars with only one model, no options and only 2 different colors. It would make my life so much easier.

Imagine you don't work in IT the automobile industry, imagine you know nothing or very little about computers cars. Now, is i5 6600k 4 cylinders better than i7 6700k 6 cylinders better than i7 4790k 8 cylinders? Well, you sure as hell can find out. But then you see an AMD processor hybrid car and so you need to start looking around again. Then, is Asus BMW better than an Acer Audi? Will HP Ford be a good computer car for you? Should you get a probook compact or an elitebook mid-size? Is Lenovo Toyota as good as they say? But then a Thinkpad Corolla or a yoga Camry?

Fuck this, I'm using Uber.

You buy cars less often and you spent a lot more money on them.

Really, a car analogy? It's like the WTDWTF Godwin!

• BINNED

Really, a car analogy? It's like the WTDWTF GodwinVW Beetle!

FTFY

Really, a car analogy?

You want me to do it with a TV / refrigerator / washing machine ? 😛

• @TimeBandit said in Because there's so much wrong with iTunes:

Really, a car analogy?

*pulls out camera* Go ahead.

• Dupa

Really, a car analogy?

Yes, please do it with a TV, so I can say it's not true and people mostly just go to the store and buy the one that looks nice and the guy in the shop tells them is he best.

Also, as @coldandtired said, we have pretty awesome carrier plans around here.
    I guess this is a country-specific thing.

Yeah. In the US, there are no awesome carrier plans. You have to look for the this-won't-hurt-as-much plans...