Now testing civilized mute on meta

• @RaceProUK said:

You actively refuse to play the game;

Right; but inaction isn't "doing something", it's the exact opposite of that. I got accused of "doing something" to prevent access, when that is not what is happening. The default position is always "nothing".

@FrostCat said:

No, it's not, because I thought it was true when I said it.

It doesn't matter what you think, what you think wasn't true. We have a word for that. I think it's "lie".

@FrostCat said:

It's too bad you don't understand that not all false statements are lies.

Well at least you admit you're in the wrong. Now maybe don't post the wrong statements in the first place? Maybe?

@FrostCat said:

Clearly, though, you wanted to, because you said you were going to, and then you said you couldn't.

The "lie" part is the motive you attributed to me, not the action. You stupid fucker.

I never hit the "like" button before I posted that, except I think once or twice to test stuff and by accident when using Windows Phone, which spazzes around like crazy when you attempt to scroll.

• FoxDev

@boomzilla said:

This thread is neither civilized nor mute.

But is it meta?
    @blakeyrat said:
    Right; but inaction isn't "doing something", it's the exact opposite of that. I got accused of "doing something" to prevent access, when that is not what is happening. The default position is always "nothing".

If you were anyone else, I'd accuse you of fishing for a pendantry badger 😛

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

It doesn't matter what you think, what you think wasn't true. We have a word for that. I think it's "lie".

"a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive"

Suck it.

@blakeyrat said:

It doesn't matter what you think

It doesn't matter what you think, a lie requires deliberation. QED. You may now slink away without admitting you were wrong, like you always do.

@blakeyrat said:

Well at least you admit you're in the wrong. Now maybe don't post the wrong statements in the first place? Maybe?

Sauce for the goose, O Immensely Wrong One.

@blakeyrat said:

You stupid fucker.

Awww, you're like a little kid who heard his cousin swear and has to say it a bunch.

@RaceProUK said:

If you were anyone else, I'd accuse you of fishing for a pendantry badger

He's been flagged twice on the same post, just a few minutes ago! Give him his badge!

• @FrostCat said:

"a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive"

In that case, nothing's ever a lie. Because if you just lie about your intent, you're free and clear. And if people call you out about THAT lie, you just say you didn't intend to lie about your intent, and, again, free and clear.

There is no such thing as a lie!

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

Liar.

@FrostCat said:

IOW, his own actions keep him out of the lounge, but don't keep him out of the other two.

That's not true. It's my lack of actions keeping me out of the lounge.

And that's only because the rules were changed on me suddenly, and I wasn't grandfathered-in because the site is developed and run by dicks.

EDIT: imagine this edit with yellow background please, this post earned a pedantic dickweed badge. -b

Now with NEW STAFF COLOR!

@blakeyrat said:

In that case, nothing's ever a lie.

How many calories a day do you eat? I'd imagine maintaining this level of incandescent rage and faked obtuseness must require a lot of energy.

"I think the blakeyrat persona is very pleasant." There ya go, there's a bald-faced lie for ya. I'd ask if you were happy but I'm sure you aren't.

:moving_goal_post:

@boomzilla said:

Now with NEW STAFF COLOR!

Enjoy your badge, @blakeyrat, you earned it!

I'm jealous, myself. <-- Not a lie. Not even a falsehood.

• That made some error come up that says I'm not allowed to view the resource. Fuck Discourse.

@FrostCat said:

badge

Seriously, I'm giggling so much I have to get up and go for a short walk.

Thanks for brightening my day, @blakeyrat! Again, literally not a falsehood.

• FoxDev

@FrostCat said:

I'm jealous, myself

I am a little too; I keep trying, but no-one ever thinks I'm being pendantic or dickweedy enough 😢

@blakeyrat said:

That made some error come up that says I'm not allowed to view the resource.

I saw that too. Then I got over it because it didn't do anything, and I'm not a Dalek, nor do I play one on forums.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

That made some error come up that says I'm not allowed to view the resource

Try Liking some posts.

• It's awesome how some dumbshit thousands of miles away can make errors pop-up on my screen. Fuck all of this, I am having the worst week.

• ♿ (Parody)

It's probably because I made that post staff colored. You should complain about that.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

It's awesome how some dumbshit thousands of miles away can make errors pop-up on my screen.

• Right; obviously an error from one user causes an error to another user thousands of miles away because that's just how the Internet is!

Why are you constantly defending Discourse?

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

Why are you constantly defending Discourse?

Why do you keep forgetting all my Discobashi- oh, you're not forgetting, you're ignoring 😛

@RaceProUK said:

I am a little too; I keep trying, but no-one ever thinks I'm being pendantic or dickweedy enough

There is little to no justice.

@blakeyrat said:

Fuck all of this, I am having the worst week.

Well, you brought some of it on yourself.

My week has suddenly started shaping right up, and it was looking pretty bad yesterday.

• @FrostCat said:

My week has suddenly started shaping right up, and it was looking pretty bad yesterday.

Ah so that is why you bothered to call blakey on his shit, now I understand.

@blakeyrat said:

I am having the worst week.

Also, inquiring minds and/or @miketheliar want to know if it's the worst of the worst.

• It's always nice to know that, no matter how bad your week is going, there's always someone having a worse week than you.

Filed under: yeah, except for that guy, but odds are you are not that guy...

• @antiquarian said:

There is the thing reddit does where you can make your username show up in green for official moderator posts.

@boomzilla said:
    That sounds similar to making the entire post yellow (or whatever "staff color" gets styled to in the future) here.

I was more thinking about stuff I did that seemed like official moderation as opposed to normal participant stuff that wasn't obvious as to what it was.

Well... you could...

.moderator .topic-body {
        background-color: inherit;
    }

.moderator .topic-meta-data .names span {
        background-color:  green;
        border: 2px solid green;
        border-left: 8px solid green;
    }

.moderator .topic-meta-data .names span a {
        color: white;
    }
    .moderator .topic-meta-data .names span .fa {
        color: white;
    }

.moderator .topic-meta-data .username a[data-user-card]:before {
        content: "[M] "
    }

🚎 🛂

using border to extend the background is TR

• TL3 membership is based on a sliding 30-day window. Grandfathering is not applicable to something like that.

• kills Dumbledore

@RaceProUK said:

Why do you keep forgetting all my Discobashi- oh, you're not forgetting, you're ignoring

That's a lie

<probably

• ♿ (Parody)

@aliceif said:

TL3 membership is based on a sliding 30-day window. Grandfathering is not applicable to something like that.

In America (probably lots of your little countries out there have been, too), we've been working hard to remove consequences from actions. That's all he's asking for. Won't someone think of the consequences‽

• @aliceif said:

TL3 membership is based on a sliding 30-day window. Grandfathering is not applicable to something like that.

It's wrong to deny me access to my own threads. Preventing me from reading new threads by other people, fine. Preventing me from reading my own content that I posted myself, that's wrong and stupid.

@boomzilla said:

In America (probably lots of your little countries out there have been, too), we've been working hard to remove consequences from actions.

I'm not performing any actions. We already went over this.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

I'm not performing any actions.

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

@blakeyrat said:

It's wrong to deny me access to my own threads.

No it isn't. Just click the Like button and Bob's your uncle. This is like complaining because you can't see your stuff if you don't log in. And then people tell you to just enter your user name and password, but you complain because you hate passwords.

@blakeyrat said:

Preventing me from reading my own content that I posted myself, that's wrong and stupid.

At least we can all agree that you're wrong and stupid.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

Preventing me from reading my own content that I posted myself, that's wrong and stupid.

By that argument, banning someone from a forum is wrong and stupid too.

• kills Dumbledore

Or deleting their posts, especially in a forum where deletion is actually just moving to a mods only area

• @boomzilla said:

No it isn't.

Yes it is. So obviously so, that I have no idea why you're even debating it, or what possible reasons you could have to do so.

@boomzilla said:

This is like complaining because you can't see your stuff if you don't log in.

Not even remotely.

@RaceProUK said:

If you prevent them from seeing content they themselves posted, yes it is.

@Jaloopa said:

Or deleting their posts, especially in a forum where deletion is actually just moving to a mods only area

That is also wrong and stupid. And why I'll never again try to contribute to Wikipedia.

Look, you don't have to agree with me, and I'm not even saying it has to be fixed. Just stop acting like I did something wrong when I did absolutely nothing at all and got punished for it. One day I didn't use the "likes" feature and I could post in the lounge. The next day, I didn't use the "likes" feature and I couldn't. I don't like the "likes" feature, for reasons we've gone over what feels like 57,000 times. I didn't ask for it, I don't want it, and I'll never use it.

And definitely stop saying I'm being punished for something I've done, because that's clearly wrong. My position on the "likes" feature has never changed.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

@RaceProUK said:

If you prevent them from seeing content they themselves posted, yes it is.

I think the case of preventing an abusive/malicious user from poisoning a community overrides preventing them from seeing their own content. Needs of the many, etc.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

Just stop acting like I did something wrong when I did absolutely nothing at all and got punished for it.

What you're doing wrong is claiming that you're being punished. Or that this stuff is wrong.

@blakeyrat said:

And definitely stop saying I'm being punished for something I've done, because that's clearly wrong. My position on the "likes" feature has never changed.

So you're one of the 2+2=5 guys, then?

• @RaceProUK said:

I think the case of preventing an abusive/malicious user from poisoning a community overrides preventing them from seeing their own content.

You could just block them FROM POSTING. Duh.

But if they wrote the post, they ought to be able to read it as long as it exists. Again, I have no idea what argument there could even be against this... so far I haven't seen any.

We're dealing with people who want to "reinvent" forum communication, and they apparently haven't spent even 10 minutes thinking over these fucking fundamental issues.

@boomzilla said:

What you're doing wrong is claiming that you're being punished.

I am. My behavior didn't change, and yet I have less access than before.

@boomzilla said:

Or that this stuff is wrong.

It is.

Hey, here's an idea: instead of just saying I'm wrong over and over again, provide a counter-argument? And hopefully one that's not as easily defeated as RaceWhateverUkShit's.

@boomzilla said:

So you're one of the 2+2=5 guys, then?

I have no idea what you mean by that.

• kills Dumbledore

Out of interest, have you tried the "Download my posts" feature? I'm wondering if it would include posts in topics you don't have access to. Knowing the Discodevs, there's probably even chances it works, shows only the posts you can see, or fails massively.

• @Jaloopa said:

Out of interest, have you tried the "Download my posts" feature?

I didn't even know there was one.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

I am. My behavior didn't change, and yet I have less access than before.

That doesn't mean you're being punished.

@blakeyrat said:

Hey, here's an idea: instead of just saying I'm wrong over and over again, provide a counter-argument?

This stuff is in a restricted category that requires certain behaviors to gain admittance. You knew all this going in. The behaviors changed slightly and you freaked out instead of adjusting.

You assume there's some divinely granted right to see every turd you've ever dropped on this site. I don't see why that should necessarily be so. Neither does anyone else. I know we can't shake you from this bedrock of your position, but no one else is buying your crap, so I guess you hope that someone somewhen will swallow it. Good luck.

@blakeyrat said:

I have no idea what you mean by that.

It's a 1984 reference. You're trying to deny me from speaking the truth.

• @boomzilla said:

That doesn't mean you're being punished.

What do you call it? I can't even read my own topics. Whether it's intentional or not, it's still punishment for doing nothing.

Call me crazy, but I think it's wrong for me to get punished when I did nothing to deserve it.

@boomzilla said:

This stuff is in a restricted category that requires certain behaviors to gain admittance. You knew all this going in.

I didn't know the behaviors would change. If I did, I wouldn't have posted in there. (Or, at least, I wouldn't be complaining about it now.)

@boomzilla said:

You assume there's some divinely granted right to see every turd you've ever dropped on this site.

It's my material. I typed it. I own it. Why shouldn't I have access to it?

@boomzilla said:

I don't see why that should necessarily be so.

Why shouldn't it? That's the argument I'm looking for. Not just saying, "I'm too stupid to have any actual reasons, so I'm just saying you shouldn't have that right, derp" is not what I'd call convincing.

@boomzilla said:

I know we can't shake you from this bedrock of your position, but no one else is buying your crap, so I guess you hope that someone somewhen will swallow it. Good luck.

Translation: "I have this opinion I can't defend, because it's a complete knee-jerk and I also have never spend more than 47 milliseconds trying to back up my opinion with any sort of rational argument."

@boomzilla said:

It's a 1984 reference. You're trying to deny me from speaking the truth.

What the fuck are you talking about? How exactly am I "trying to deny you from speaking the truth"?

What does "deny me from speaking the truth" even mean?

• kills Dumbledore

@blakeyrat said:

I didn't even know there was one.

Profile page, bottom of the left hand bar.

If that does allow you to access your lounge posts, will you stop moaning about this particular Discourse problem?

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

What do you call it? I can't even read my own topics. Whether it's intentional or not, it's still punishment for doing nothing.

Like I said, it's not much different than refusing to log in. The privilege of getting access to The Lounge is that you're an active and constructive member of the community as defined by the proxy of those statistics. If you don't want to live up to that, fine, but don't expect the extra privilege.

A punishment is taking away a right. This is simply not granting extra privilege. You can easily earn that privilege back, but you won't.

@blakeyrat said:

It's my material. I typed it. I own it. Why shouldn't I have access to it?

Why would you own it? I couldn't quickly find anything on this site talking about ownership, but the usual practice is that the site owns it. Or something. Just because you banged on a keyboard while logged into a site doesn't mean that the site must always regurgitate that for you upon demand.

If this shit was so important, you should have saved it locally to some resource over which you had control.

@blakeyrat said:

Why shouldn't it?

For starters, you're making someone else do something. When that's the case, the burden is on the person making the demands. I think you're wrong about this specific case, but you are starting from a hole in the general case, though I understand that you see it the opposite of everyone else. That might be a clue.

@blakeyrat said:

Translation: "I have this opinion I can't defend, because it's a complete knee-jerk and I also have never spend more than 47 milliseconds trying to back up my opinion with any sort of rational argument."

Yes, this sums up what everyone thinks when they read your posts on this topic.

@blakeyrat said:

What the fuck are you talking about? How exactly am I "trying to deny you from speaking the truth"?

Shit...I'm saying you're clearly wrong when you're saying I'm clearly wrong.

@blakeyrat said:

And definitely stop saying I'm being punished for something I've done, because that's clearly wrong.

@blakeyrat said:

What does "deny me from speaking the truth" even mean?

Which word are you having trouble with?

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

But if they wrote the post, they ought to be able to read it as long as it exists. Again, I have no idea what argument there could even be against this... so far I haven't seen any.

You're assuming that you have an inalienable right to see every post you've made here, when that just isn't true; unless the terms and conditions of this site guarantee you can always access your own posts, you have no leg to stand on. And even if you did, no lawyer would take the case up; they have more important cases to pursue, like suing people downloading two songs that one time.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

Proposed solutions to end this "punishment" that you seem to feel you are having:

1. just click the freaking like button periodically. we already have a thread where the likes mean absolutely nothing in so it won't even be a big deal.
    2. ask @pjh to create you your own category that we'll jeff all your posts from the lounge into so you can see your posts again.
    3. use the download my posts functionality to download a CSV of your posts so you can see your posts that are in the lounge

whichever one you chose can you please stop beating that dead horse already. you've already reduced into a red mush and we're all tired of hearing the same "i'm being punished for doing nothing" line when all you literally have to do to go and see them is wander into /t/1000 periodically and click the damn like button

• @boomzilla said:

If you don't want to live up to that, fine, but don't expect the extra privilege.

I don't consider "seeing my own posts" as an extra privilege. I consider it a basic bedrock feature of any forum system.

@boomzilla said:

I couldn't quickly find anything on this site talking about ownership, but the usual practice is that the site owns it.

Since the site doesn't say otherwise, I retain ownership of what I type.

@boomzilla said:

Just because you banged on a keyboard while logged into a site doesn't mean that the site must always regurgitate that for you upon demand.

I disagree.

@boomzilla said:

If this shit was so important, you should have saved it locally to some resource over which you had control.

None of this is important.

Look, there's two continuums here: right -> wrong, and unimportant -> important. This is wrong, definitely wrong. But it's not important.

That's why I've said like a million times I'm not asking for anything here to necessarily change. I just want people to stop acting like I did something wrong when I didn't.

@boomzilla said:

For starters, you're making someone else do something. When that's the case, the burden is on the person making the demands.

I'm not "making" anybody do anything. What "demand" have I made here? Quote me, I dare you.

I am asking for people to not make changes to Discourse that fuck over users. Since Discourse developers are incompetent dumbshits, I'm sure that won't happen. But I can still ask.

@boomzilla said:

Yes, this sums up what everyone thinks when they read your posts on this topic.

If people dance around the issue without giving any actual rational arguments, what else am I supposed to believe?

@boomzilla said:

Which word are you having trouble with?

I didn't know if you meant you were speaking the truth and I was somehow denying that you were. (Which isn't the case.) Or whether you meant I was somehow doing voodoo magic to prevent you from speaking the truth in the first place. (Which also isn't the case.)

@RaceProUK said:

You're assuming that you have an inalienable right to see every post you've made here, when that just isn't true; unless the terms and conditions of this site guarantee you can always access your own posts, you have no leg to stand on.

I have a moral right, whether or not I have a legal right.

@RaceProUK said:

And even if you did, no lawyer would take the case up; they have more important cases to pursue, like suing people downloading two songs that one time.

See above. "Importance" is a different continuum than "right and wrong". You know this. I know you know this. I know Boomzilla knows this. Stop being stupid.

@accalia said:

whichever one you chose can you please stop beating that dead horse already. you've already reduced into a red mush and we're all tired of hearing the same "i'm being punished for doing nothing" line when all you literally have to do to go and see them is wander into /t/1000 periodically and click the damn like button

Why should I have to?

• FoxDev

He could even use a bot to autolike in /t/1000; that way, he'd only have to spend a few minutes setting one up, and then he can have TL3 without any extra effort.

Yes @blakeyrat, I know you don't like the fact there are bots around here, but you have to admit that one would come in handy for regaining your TL3 status ;)

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

I have a moral right, whether or not I have a legal right.

Won't stick in a court of law.

• @RaceProUK said:

Won't stick in a court of law.

I'm not talking about law. I'm talking about right and wrong. I've been wronged. I want people to stop acting as if I haven't.

@accalia said:

3) use the download my posts functionality to download a CSV of your posts so you can see your posts that are in the lounge

You're assuming that even downloads posts you don't have access to.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

I've been wronged.

Normally, when one person holds an opinion that is not shared by anyone else, it's the one person that is wrong.