Grocery Aisle WTF

• [img]http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/3651/unclewtfoj4.jpg[/img]

Because old-timey country inns serve oriental fried rice?

• Even better is how they capture the taste of the Orient (whatever that should be?), in a sauce...

• "Oriental flavored sauce"?

Oh dear.

• [quote user="merreborn"]

"Oriental flavored sauce"?

Oh dear.

[/quote]

and all in a mere 10 minutes : P 

• [quote user="djork"]

[/quote]

Well... yes, actually, many of them do. Since you ask.

Just because the building dates from the 12th century doesn't mean the chef does too.

• [quote user="Iago"][quote user="djork"]

[/quote]

Well... yes, actually, many of them do. Since you ask.

Just because the building dates from the 12th century doesn't mean the chef does too.

[/quote]

I saw it more from the POV of a Country "style" Oriental meal (as opposed to the building, chef etc) - it only just struck me, I don't think I've ever seen a Oriental "style" country meal, certainly not in South East Asia, which I am most familiar with.
    Of course, the real WTF is that two entirely diverse groups (country style, and oriental style) have been completely generalised...

• I thought "Oriental" was actually a racial slur.... :(

• If you're talking about a person from Asia then yes, but not if you're referring to the cuisine.

• [quote user="blee1105"]If you're talking about a person from Asia then yes, but not if you're referring to the cuisine.[/quote]

Or the rugs.

Never understood that. Asia is a HUGE continent which includes eastern russia, india, afghanistan, etc. A huge lump of veru diverse people to label "asian", no? Next, everyone will just be "North Hemispherian" or perhaps we'll just go 60's sci-fi and call everyone "Earthling". We won't be "allowed" to use any terminology to be any more precise than that.

• [quote user="unklegwar"]

Never understood that. Asia is a HUGE continent which includes eastern russia, india, afghanistan, etc. A huge lump of veru diverse people to label "asian", no? Next, everyone will just be "North Hemispherian" or perhaps we'll just go 60's sci-fi and call everyone "Earthling". We won't be "allowed" to use any terminology to be any more precise than that.

[/quote]

Well Oriental just means "Eastern", it's not a very precise term itself. Using Asian does tend to bother me as well, though.