Grocery Aisle WTF

• Because old-timey country inns serve oriental fried rice?

• Even better is how they capture the taste of the Orient (whatever that should be?), in a sauce...

• "Oriental flavored sauce"?

Oh dear.

• [quote user="merreborn"]

"Oriental flavored sauce"?

Oh dear.

[/quote]

and all in a mere 10 minutes : P 

• [quote user="djork"]

Because old-timey country inns serve oriental fried rice?

[/quote]

Well... yes, actually, many of them do. Since you ask.

Just because the building dates from the 12th century doesn't mean the chef does too.

• [quote user="Iago"][quote user="djork"]

Because old-timey country inns serve oriental fried rice?

[/quote]

Well... yes, actually, many of them do. Since you ask.

Just because the building dates from the 12th century doesn't mean the chef does too.

[/quote]

I saw it more from the POV of a Country "style" Oriental meal (as opposed to the building, chef etc) - it only just struck me, I don't think I've ever seen a Oriental "style" country meal, certainly not in South East Asia, which I am most familiar with.
    Of course, the real WTF is that two entirely diverse groups (country style, and oriental style) have been completely generalised...

• I thought "Oriental" was actually a racial slur.... 😞

• If you're talking about a person from Asia then yes, but not if you're referring to the cuisine.

• [quote user="blee1105"]If you're talking about a person from Asia then yes, but not if you're referring to the cuisine.[/quote]

Or the rugs.

Never understood that. Asia is a HUGE continent which includes eastern russia, india, afghanistan, etc. A huge lump of veru diverse people to label "asian", no? Next, everyone will just be "North Hemispherian" or perhaps we'll just go 60's sci-fi and call everyone "Earthling". We won't be "allowed" to use any terminology to be any more precise than that.

• [quote user="unklegwar"]

Never understood that. Asia is a HUGE continent which includes eastern russia, india, afghanistan, etc. A huge lump of veru diverse people to label "asian", no? Next, everyone will just be "North Hemispherian" or perhaps we'll just go 60's sci-fi and call everyone "Earthling". We won't be "allowed" to use any terminology to be any more precise than that.

[/quote]

Well Oriental just means "Eastern", it's not a very precise term itself. Using Asian does tend to bother me as well, though.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.