Wherein we buy a .sucks domain

• mod

Continuing the discussion from 😈 The Evil Ideas thread:

@Polygeekery said:

I will pitch in.

Alright, the existing posts do belong where they are in the Evil Ideas thread, but I thought we should continue this idea elsewhere.

Here are the relevant bits for those who didn't catch it:

@Yamikuronue said:

Companies with registered trademarks will have to pay an astounding $2,499 to register their trademarked names in .sucks. Registration of non-trademarked names during the "sunrise" period (March 30 until June 1) before .sucks goes live will cost at least $199 per name, while the standard registration fee after June 1 rises to $249 per name.

@locallunatic said:

Hrmmm

From: http://www.trademarkia.com/trademarks-search.aspx?tn=discourse first suggestion on searching for it

@loopback0 said:

Reckon we could get enough money together for discourse.sucks? Kickstarter maybe?

So:

• Discourse doesn't have an active registered trademark
    • Purchasing a .sucks domain before June 1 costs $199

Now, two questions:

1. Who should be in charge of collecting fund?
    2. Who wants to pitch in for discourse.sucks?

• Grade A Premium Asshole

When is the deadline? What are we going to do with it? If we are going to do something clever and creative with it, I am in. If we just sit on the name...then we would just be doing the DiscoDevs a favor if we bought it and sat on it...

• @boomzilla handled the previous funds responsibly. I'd nominate him to do so again. Unfortunately, though the cause is most worthy, my imminent loss of income precludes my donating any actual money at this time.

• @abarker said:

Discourse doesn't have an active registered trademark

The discourse that we would be referring to doesn't, but there were others on the quick page I pulled that from which may invalidate that. Plus I didn't look into the trademark junk on .sucks, so they may count things without statements of use or whatever. Don't know much about trademark law, just did a quick google search on checking trademarks and threw in "Discourse".

• @HardwareGeek said:

@boomzilla handled the previous funds responsibly. I'd nominate him to do so again.

😟

• mod

@Polygeekery said:

When is the deadline? What are we going to do with it?

Well, for the $199 price, it appears the deadline is June 1 to complete the purchase.

@Polygeekery said:

What are we going to do with it?

That's another good question. Maybe we could use it as a secondary site for posting things like the Discopædia and Things Discourse Customers have said.

• @abarker said:

Who wants to pitch in for discourse.sucks?

I'm in.

@HardwareGeek said:

I'd nominate him to do so again

Agreed. If he's willing.

• @abarker said:

Discopædia and Things Discourse Customers have said

👍

• mod

@locallunatic said:

The discourse that we would be referring to doesn't, but there were others on the quick page I pulled that from which may invalidate that. Plus I didn't look into the trademark junk on .sucks, so they may count things without statements of use or whatever. Don't know much about trademark law, just did a quick google search on checking trademarks and threw in "Discourse".

Hmmm … well maybe we should just spitball ideas and check the price on March 30 then.

• @boomzilla said:

😟

That said, there's still ~$13 left after the mugs. I suppose it would be poetic to dump the rest of the booty funds into the domain fund.

• @boomzilla said:

😟

It's easier this time. The hard part (at least from the POV of an outside observer) was reaching a consensus on how to use the money. This time we already have that.

• kills Dumbledore

@abarker said:

Maybe we could use it as a secondary site for posting things like the Discopædia and Things Discourse Customers have said.

in a PHPBB forum?

• @HardwareGeek said:

It's easier this time.

Possibly.

@HardwareGeek said:

The hard part (at least from the POV of an outside observer) was reaching a consensus on how to use the money.

Nah, @PJH reminded me of the mugs and I pretty much decided that's what we were going to do right then. I just let you all think you had some input.

But I also had to actually order and stuff, which also required people trusting me with actual names and addresses and stuff.

• SockDev

@abarker said:

Who wants to pitch in for discourse.sucks?

Pass... Feels a bit too much like stepping over that line in the sand to me.

• mod

@Jaloopa said:

in a PHPBB forum?

You mean … another forum? There would be a sense of justice to it.

Ooooh! Another idea! We could have some part of the setup redirect to @matches' discourse bug tracker! 😆

• @abarker said:

We could have some part of the setup redirect to @matches' discourse bug tracker!

++

• BINNED

Actually...

Ok, here's an idea. We buy discourse.sucks. But instead of mocking it, we fill it with our own improvements for the damned thing. Custom CSS. The bugtracker. Userscripts. JSON API docs. SockBot docs (hey, it can be useful, our abuse notwithstanding). I'll throw in my API / app as well if I ever get it off the ground.

We poke fun and at the same time don't mock it outright in a hostile manner.

• mod

@Onyx said:

Actually...

Ok, here's an idea. We buy discourse.sucks. But instead of mocking it, we fill it with our own improvements for the damned thing. Custom CSS. The bugtracker. Userscripts. JSON API docs. SockBot docs (hey, it can be useful, our abuse notwithstanding). I'll throw in my API / app as well if I ever get it off the ground.

We poke fun and at the same time don't mock it outright in a hostile manner.

I like it!

• SockDev

• BINNED

I am aware of that. Having it all under one domain would be nice though.

I think the most important question that remains to be tackled is... should we run a site, or use Discourse? 😛

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.