Insert or Not

• Got sniped at 15:30 with a load-testing environment that was losing 6% of data along the way. Got isolated to a database insert: 100% of rows was going into the INSERT statement, only 94% ended up in the table. How much of it ends up in the DB seems to vary with insert batch size.

I went home anyway but it feels like it's gonna be one of those weekends.

• @PleegWat said:

Got sniped at 15:30 with a load-testing environment that was losing 6% of data along the way. Got isolated to a database insert: 100% of rows was going into the INSERT statement, only 94% ended up in the table. How much of it ends up in the DB seems to vary with insert batch size.

:wtf: How does a database mangle an INSERT that badly? (Also, just who made such a terrible excuse for a DBMS?)

• @tarunik said:

How does a database mangle an INSERT that badly?

Triggers, is all I can think of.

@tarunik said:

(Also, just who made such a terrible excuse for a DBMS?)

Don't blame the DBMS for running triggers it's told to run.

• @tarunik said:

:wtf: How does a database mangle an INSERT that badly? (Also, just who made such a terrible excuse for a DBMS?)

Oracle. Who else.

@blakeyrat said:

Plain insert, up to 16k rows per execute, no triggers whatsoever. One index.

• @PleegWat said:

Oracle. Who else.

Oh.

I take back what I said.

• @blakeyrat said:

I would be quite astonished if the amount of rows a trigger deleted varied with the insert batch size...

@PleegWat said:

Plain insert, up to 16k rows per execute, no triggers whatsoever. One index.

and yeah. HOWTF is Orrible Belgium-ing an INSERT that badly?

Filed under: Join the Larry Ellison Coal Shipment Fund today!

• @tarunik said:

and yeah. HOWTF is Orrible ■■■■■■■-ing an INSERT that badly?

Tell me when you find out...

• genetic algorithms and natural selection?

i'm sure that 6% could'n adapt to the medium

• Also occurs on the old hardware (and older OS version) after updating the database... so probably a DB fault.

Guess that version's going on the blacklist.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.