Tablet Quirks

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Maybe not really bugs per se, but I've just bought a Nexus 9 (running Lollipop), and I want a place to jot down issues I'm having since I've started visiting here from it.

Issue numero uno: Discourse doesn't play nice with suspension of apps. For some reason, when I switch away to go do something else, when I come back to Chrome, Discourse appears in a state that is significantly outdated -- not the last state I left it in, which I could understand, but some state from hours or days ago. In that state (most recently), I have a PM and a single notification, and there's one thread with unread posts. If I click the notifications bubble, neither of those things are real, and if I refresh the page, I find 5-6 threads with unread posts. I think Chrome is trying to save me a round-trip to the server and screwing up the AJAX somehow. It's highly peculiar.

Annoying fucking glitch numbero zwei: Images that end in something other than .jpg, such as photobucket's peculiar ".jpg~800x600" extension. I wanted to embed one in a PM. I longpress on the image, and click "Copy image", but when I go to the post, longpress, and hit paste, it pastes the URL. Which is typically fine for Discourse, since it'll try to embed anyway. Only because it's not a .jpg extension, but an unknown extension, it embeds a link. That's no good, I wanted the image. So I delete the line and I click the "image" button on the toolbar and click "From the web" and paste in the URL. That should get me the image, right?

Wrong. It gets me the same fucking link. WTF? I had to type out an img tag. Thankfully I have a keyboard on my nexus or I'd probably not use the forums at all.

• FoxDev

Issue #1 is replicatable on the desktop as well; if you close a tab and re-open it, it won't always restore to the correct state.
    It's a browser thang.

• FoxDev

@RaceProUK said:

It's a browser thang.

it may be a browser thang but that should be resolvable by the app.

it is highly annoying when on mobile.

My theory: it has to do with being a one-page AJAX-heavy JS application probably -- Chrome wants to restore a snapshot of the page as it was when it was opened, but that bears no relationship to the page as it currently exists. Since you never really navigate, there's no further snapshots taken....

Which means the app has to manage its own state and recognize when it hasn't been updated in a while.

• Issue #2 happens quite often to me on desktop. My workaround hack is to copy the image, paste it in to Paint, then copy from Paint and paste into Discourse, but that's probably not possible on a tablet.

• FoxDev

@Yamikuronue said:

Which means the app has to manage its own state and recognize when it hasn't been updated in a while.

Which would just put a bigger drain on the battery.

Still, could be worse: could be running Discour… oh, wait…

Maybe check for stale updates when it receives focus somehow, was my thought. I don't claim to be a mobile dev though XD

@mott555 said:

Issue #2 happens quite often to me on desktop.

On the desktop, "copy image" works differently than "copy image URL", and I can use that to upload the image. But for whatever reason, on my tablet, it pastes the url.

• Not for me, could be Firefox but idk. On a Discourse site, they do exactly the same thing when pasting, but anything else there is clearly a difference between the two.

Copy image:

Copy image URL:

If you view raw, you can see the distinction in what it does in Chrome on desktop

• FoxDev

And Firefox for comparison.

Copy Image:

Copy Image Location:
    http://animeshow.tv/img/logo.png

Again, view raw.

• Must be Firefox then. Both look like image URLs to external places, but with different syntax. Neither looks like an upload.

So the real question is what is Firefox putting in the clipboard that is interpreted as a bitmap by Paint, but as a URL by Firefox itself.

• BINNED

Didn't we have this with SVGs and Excel tables already? It's sticking multiple representations of same data in the clipboard so whatever reads it next can choose what it likes the most. For example, if I try copying an image from my computer now and hit paste I get:

/home/onyx/Desktop/test.jpeg

While dragging it into editor will properly upload it. And my file manager knows to paste the file instead of plain text.

Whether Firefox always choosing the URL over the image is a WTF is a different matter. I'd say yes because it does provide two different copy commands and pasting should respect that.

• If so I missed that discussion. I had no idea you could do that to the clipboard.

• @Yamikuronue said:

Discourse appears in a state that is significantly outdated

Agreed, the 'flat UI' look is so 2010.

• @Yamikuronue said:

Wrong. It gets me the same fucking link. WTF? I had to type out an img tag. Thankfully I have a keyboard on my nexus or I'd probably not use the forums at all.

That's not a tablet quirk, it's yet another fucking Discourse bug. The insert image button simply does nothing.

I noticed that a while ago, along with the problem of Firefox "copy image" doing the same thing than "copy image URL". But there's a point when you just don't care enough to report these things.