Another /bin/true thread

• http://www.miketaylor.org.uk/tech/oreilly/truenut.html#

I know it's a joke, but it's a pretty good one.

• Does this cover the open source implementation of /bin/true ?

• Dear God, the Web page is longer than the book itself is!

• Hrm I'm not really a UNIX programmer... WOOHOO! There's a link to the Win32 implementation!

I also think it's hilarious that the reviews of the book are longer than the book itself. Well, it's more of a pamphlet.

Which reminds me of that SNL skit where Chris Parnell had a 2-page pamphlet that helps you save money called "Don't buy stuff if you can't afford it".

"But what if I really want it?"
    "If you have the money, you can buy it"
    "And if I don't have the money?"
    "Then you don't buy it"
    "Geez I'm still confused"
    "Don't worry, it's all in the pamphlet."

This reply went completely off-topic, and for that I apologize.

• The animal featured on the cover of True in a Nutshell is a slug (common or garden). Slugs are molluscs, members of the class Gastropoda (which has about 8000 species), subclass Pulmonata (in which the mantle cavity has become a lung). All gastropods show torsion: the body is twisted by 90°-180° so the mantle ends up over the head, along with anus, kidney opening, etc. Slugs are secondarily detorted.

Slugs can stand six to seven feet tall at the shoulders. They are well known for their use as draft and saddle animals in the desert regions, especially of Africa and Asia, and the slug is sometimes known as ``the ship of the desert''. Slugs can go for days without water. If food is scarce, they will eat anything, even their owner's tent. Slugs live up to 50 years, unless I'm thinking of camels. (I often get those two confused.)

Priceless.