SpeedTouch POS

• Ok - I didn't want to write about it, but after it happened 4 times today, I'm really pissed off.

Have you ever seen home SpeedTouch wireless/dsl device? It works (most of the time). But every time, I try to make a connection, that times out, I don't just get message from browser - oh no. Even if my browser can wait 5 secs for timeout, this router can't stand waiting 2 secs. If I don't get response in that time, it takes over the connection, sends page with 302 redirect to:
    http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/ic/connect/?nm=1&client=192.168.1.65&server=server_ip&event=ServerTimeout&url=whateverIWantedToSee
    This page shows:

Network Error... 

Your requested host could not be reached. Click on the link below to retry.
    my url 

Of course there are some minor glitches in this action:

1. Url is not escaped, so parameters are lost.
    2. It gets redirected, so POST is lost.
    3. Url is now correct and points at router, so I can refresh.... the error page.

At least you get a nice "Network Error..." (doh!) page when you timeout, and not the sad old information from browser, which actually allows you to work normally after you close it.
    And it's not my network, so I'm not able to log to that box and see if it can be turned off :/

Note to self - NEVER buy SpeedTouch boxes.

• I've been with BT for years on various broadband packages and their always peddling some form of Speedtouch modem to their users.  I've got through about 4 different types and their all pure crap.  Some of my favorite "features" are when they power down for no reason at all, disconnecting without giving any indication i.e. the leds are still lit and it reports everything is cool and my all time favorite; the total device lockup, nice.

• Have had a speed touch home for several years (an old non wireless/ non router one) without noticeable problem. It was one of the only ethernet adsl modem at that time and it was very important when it came to linux connectivity. Later, i tricked it into a speed touch pro (well known trick) and upgraded the firmware. The only noticeable problem was when i uploaded a very wrong firmware, but even at that state i could recover it.

Maybe the quality of speedtouch is not what it was in the past. But at that time, the fact you could just change 1 bit in memory to switch a speedtouch home (plain PPPOE modem) into a speedtouch pro (activating routing, nat, firewall and dhcp capabilities) was indeed a nice wtf.
    Ho yeah, i forgot that easily corrected TFTP security hole that allowed any internet user to gain access to modem.... (hint to viraptor).

• Indeed a small WTF, but a WTF all the same is the fact that the poster decided not to screencap, but instead copy and paste an HTML page, including a picture which resides on his router with a local IP address.

Reminds me of SOOOOOO many of the Frontpage newbies out there who ask "Why can't anyone else see my pictures or use my links??"

Oh well. Decent post besides that.

• Nice one.
    Two wtfs now:

1. I didn't know I can c&p images from site, but it's impossible to copy text that is bold and red...
    2. You didn't miss much - the image is cute little "spacer.gif".

For those who really wanted to see it: (image is between "Network Error..." and "Your requested host..."
    speedtouch 

Still hating speedtouch...
    I'd like to break in and check if that can be disabled, but tftp upgrade is turned off :(

• It's a feature, and it can be disabled (if yours hasn't been locked down by the provider).

Telnet to the router (Standard port). The default username is 'Administrator' with a blank password.
    I think the command to disable it is ':dsd config state disable', but all commands have a help function so you should be able to figure it out by yourself.

• [quote user="tchize"]

Have had a speed touch home for several years (an old non wireless/ non router one) without noticeable problem. It was one of the only ethernet adsl modem at that time and it was very important when it came to linux connectivity. Later, i tricked it into a speed touch pro (well known trick) and upgraded the firmware. The only noticeable problem was when i uploaded a very wrong firmware, but even at that state i could recover it.

Maybe the quality of speedtouch is not what it was in the past.

[/quote]

Several years ago means you probably have an Alcatel Speedtouch device. Those were very good, compared to most consumer ADSL kit. We can see from the screenshot that this guy has a Thomson Speedtouch. Those are utter junk. For once, it's not a buyout - these two companies have some freaky agreement whereby they both produce devices under the Speedtouch label. However, most older devices were made by Alcatel and most new ones are made by Thomson.

• [quote user="viraptor"]

Ok - I didn't want to write about it, but after it happened 4 times today, I'm really pissed off.

Have you ever seen home SpeedTouch wireless/dsl device? It works (most of the time). But every time, I try to make a connection, that times out, I don't just get message from browser - oh no. Even if my browser can wait 5 secs for timeout, this router can't stand waiting 2 secs. If I don't get response in that time, it takes over the connection, sends page with 302 redirect to:
    http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/ic/connect/?nm=1&client=192.168.1.65&server=server_ip&event=ServerTimeout&url=whateverIWantedToSee
    This page shows:

Network Error... 

Your requested host could not be reached. Click on the link below to retry.
    my url 

Of course there are some minor glitches in this action:

1. Url is not escaped, so parameters are lost.
    2. It gets redirected, so POST is lost.
    3. Url is now correct and points at router, so I can refresh.... the error page.

At least you get a nice "Network Error..." (doh!) page when you timeout, and not the sad old information from browser, which actually allows you to work normally after you close it.
    And it's not my network, so I'm not able to log to that box and see if it can be turned off :/

Note to self - NEVER buy SpeedTouch boxes.

[/quote]