Fast parcel delivery



    • Origin: 3 countries away
    • Current status: hasn't even left the original warehouse, apparently
    • Estimated delivery: ... less than 2 days from now? Yeah I'd love to see that.

  • SockDev

    better than the one i got from UPS a couple of weeks ago.

    for some reason they had the expected delivery date as Jan 2nd.

    the tracking number was created on Jan 15th.

    wish i had thought to get a screencap of it when it happened. it fixed itself the next time the package was scanned.



  • @anonymous234 said:

    Origin: 3 countries away
    Current status: hasn't even left the original warehouse, apparently
    Estimated delivery: ... less than 2 days from now? Yeah I'd love to see that.

    Euro-countries are like 5 miles wide.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Euro-countries are like 5 miles8km wide.
    FTFE


  • BINNED

    Confirmed. I have a catapult that throws my garbage all the way to Hungary so I don't have to pay for it to be hauled.

    When they start complaining I just turn it slightly and shoot for Italy.



  • @anonymous234 said:

    Estimated delivery: ... less than 2 days from now? Yeah I'd love to see that.

    Amazon Prime?


  • SockDev

    @anonymous234 said:

    - Origin: 3 countries away

    • Current status: hasn't even left the original warehouse, apparently
    • Estimated delivery: ... less than 2 days from now? Yeah I'd love to see that.

    Any decent courier can make that date <!-- Emoji'd by MobileEmoji 0.2.0-->


  • Tell you what, if it's here before Wednesday at 6pm I'll give a free Steam game to everyone that has posted ITT.



  • ITT. <spank>



  • ITT.

    Got to cover all the bases.



  • ITT?

    (needs moar text!)



  • OK guys you can stop doing this now, it doesn't count.



  • no steam game? =(

    how many kilometers is 3 countries away?



  • Let me check... about 4ms.



  • @anonymous234 said:

    Wednesday at 6pm

    Isn't standard end of delivery day 8PM?



  • miliseconds?



  • @JazzyJosh said:

    Isn't standard end of delivery day 8PM?

    I don't know, I admit I'm not very familiarized with deliveries. To be honest I find the concept of having to be at home at an unknown time to pick up a package quite silly, why can't I just pick it up at the post office myself? I know it's possible but no shop ever gives me the option. Not even a web interface to know when it will arrive or propose a better time. And those package-sized mailboxes are absurdly rare around here.

    @Jarry said:

    miliseconds?

    Yes. Distance and time are practically the same thing, don't you know relativity?


  • BINNED

    @anonymous234 said:

    Yes. Distance and time are practically the same thing, don't you know relativity?

    Ah, yes, but is it c or c - C we're using as the speed?

    C is speed decrease due to a Crappy router you have to hit on the way, of course.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @anonymous234 said:

    Let me check... about 4ms.

    @anonymous234 said:

    Yes. Distance and time are practically the same thing, don't you know relativity?

    1,200km/745miles.


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    I don't have much to say but I like steam games and I've seen deliveries arrive surprisingly fast so I figure I'll take that bet.

    <!-- ITT -->


  • Well, it's not really a bet if we have nothing to lose.

    Oh, speaking of which... ITT

    Not that I need more games in my Steam library.



  • I would be amused if the game being gifted to everyone was just Bad Rats.

    <also, ITT>



  • Since when does any shipping service not just leave the package at the door unless it's high value

    Hell, I had a laser printer sit on my doorstep for half a week when I was on vacation in Seattle last year



  • @anonymous234 said:

    I don't know, I admit I'm not very familiarized with deliveries. To be honest I find the concept of having to be at home at an unknown time to pick up a package quite silly, why can't I just pick it up at the post office myself?

    postnl? You can't change delivery while it's on pre-alert, but check back daily or so - at some point it'll give you a 2-hour slot, and I'm pretty sure you can change delivery option as well. You need a track and trace code, or a failed delivery code, but you already have that..,

    There's also an app (MijnPakket) which offers the same information as the website.

    Regarding the estimated delivery, the timeframe does not seem extreme, but I also know they put up an initial delivery estimate on pre-alert, then don't re-estimate until there's another status update (IE it's picked up from the shipper). So it may well shift a week once that's happened.



  • @JazzyJosh said:

    Since when does any shipping service not just leave the package at the door unless it's high value

    You should be able to specify whether it is left or not. On our sites checkout pages there is usually a checkbox with a text field for instructions.



  • @JazzyJosh said:

    Since when does any shipping service not just leave the package at the door unless it's high value

    I've never seen any delivery company leave at the door here. They may try again the next day, leave at the neighbours, or leave at a local pick-up point (local may extend up to the other end of the country). Which they pick also depends on how the package is sent, as in insured or autograph required on receipt.



  • @HardwareGeek said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    Euro-countries are like 5 miles8km wide.

    FTFN3WR

    FTFY

    First attempt at nested quotes... A lot of effort for a dumb joke.



  • Of course that fix would apply to pretty much everyone except 'Muricans (maybe some old-fashioned Brits?), but since @blakeyrat's original joke referred to "Euro-countries," I decided to stick with "Euros" in my FTFY.

    @another_sam said:

    First attempt at nested quotes.
    The raw button makes it a lot easier than it used to be.

    Filed under: Can we kill this joke any deader?



  • @HardwareGeek said:

    Of course that fix would apply to pretty much everyone except 'Muricans (maybe some old-fashioned Brits?)

    Brits still commonly use miles for distance but are otherwise metricated. Except for beer which comes in pints.

    I was going to say that the US and Liberia are the only remaining non-metric countries since Myanmar is now adopting the metric system, but it seems Liberia has also largely adopted it. So I guess that leaves the US alone.

    @HardwareGeek said:

    Filed under: Can we kill this joke any deader?

    Yes. Yes, I think we can.



  • @another_sam said:

    Brits still commonly use miles for distance but are otherwise metricated.

    Oh really? How many "stone" do you weigh?

    The UK and US are "metricated" to the exact same degree. The only difference is the US isn't deluding itself about it.

    @another_sam said:

    I was going to say that the US and Liberia are the only remaining non-metric countries since Myanmar is now adopting the metric system, but it seems Liberia has also largely adopted it.

    Does Liberia even have a government capable of making such proclamations?


  • SockDev

    @blakeyrat said:

    Oh really? How many "stone" do you weigh?

    The NHS doesn't use that anymore; it's all metric now. The only people who use stone are older people who weigh themselves at home.

    <!-- Emoji'd by MobileEmoji 0.2.0-->


  • @RaceProUK said:

    The only people who use stone are older people who weigh themselves at home.

    And your TV shows, and your newspapers, and...

    You can't bullshit me, British-person, we have the Internets now. We see right though you.


  • SockDev

    Nothing official uses it, except for road signs. Culturally though, it's a veritable grab-bag…

    <!-- Emoji'd by MobileEmoji 0.2.0-->


  • @RaceProUK said:

    Culturally though, it's a veritable grab-bag

    and that is the point. Culturally is always the part that actually matters.



  • To paraphrase Dave Barry, we tried putting metric on street signs but all that happened was that rednecks shot holes in them. So it didn't increase the popularity of the metric system, unless you count the 9mm bullet.



  • Rednecks shoot holes in all kinds of signs. You can't blame that on metrification.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Oh really? How many "stone" do you weigh?

    Not a fucking clue. Not without looking up the conversion rate from kg, which I do know.

    @blakeyrat said:

    we tried putting metric on street signs but all that happened was that rednecks shot holes in them.

    How is that different to Imperial?

    Hanzo'd while actually doing work! Curses!



  • It's amazing how much @blakeyrat resembles a stereotypical American in this topic.



  • Blakeyrat is above all national identities.


  • SockDev

    You could set up your own nation, the nation of Blakeyrat. Or whatever you want to call it :smile:

    <!-- Emoji'd by MobileEmoji 0.2.0-->


  • @blakeyrat said:

    Blakeyrat is above all national identities.

    Maybe. But you ticked all the "typical American" checkboxes. Europe being bunch of little countries? Check. UK being exactly the same as US? Check. Believing that African countries are still at tribal civilization stage? Check. Thinking metric system is stupid? Check. Believing he's actually objective? Check. Weighing 180kg due to all those hamburgers? ...Okay, maybe not all the boxes. But you're pretty close.



  • @Gaska said:

    Europe being bunch of little countries? Check.

    As a west coast American, I must also point out that the eastern seaboard of my own country is full of a bunch of little States I frequently make fun of.

    @Gaska said:

    UK being exactly the same as US? Check.

    When did I say that? I said they were the same in exactly one (1) aspect: adoption of metric.

    @Gaska said:

    Believing that African countries are still at tribal civilization stage? Check.

    When did I say that? I made a joke about Liberia having no effective government, which is true.

    @Gaska said:

    Thinking metric system is stupid? Check.

    I didn't say this either.

    @Gaska said:

    Believing he's actually objective? Check.

    Nor this.

    @Gaska said:

    Weighing 180kg due to all those hamburgers?

    I don't know how many 180kg is.

    @Gaska said:

    ...Okay, maybe not all the boxes. But you're pretty close.

    And you can't fucking read. Go back to 3rd grade.


  • SockDev

    @Gaska said:

    Europe being bunch of little countries?

    True ;)
    @Gaska said:
    UK being exactly the same as US?

    It's not that outlandish; half the time, it seems the entirety of the UK population wants to be American.

    <!-- Emoji'd by MobileEmoji 0.2.0-->


  • @blakeyrat said:

    As a west coast American, I must also point out that the eastern seaboard of my own country is full of a bunch of little States I frequently make fun of.

    What can I say? Good for you?

    @blakeyrat said:

    When did I say that? I said they were the same in exactly one (1) aspect: adoption of metric.

    And we discussed exactly one (1) aspect so far. That gives 100% similarity.

    @blakeyrat said:

    When did I say that? I made a joke about Liberia having no effective government, which is true.

    You said it's so ineffective it can't not just enforce its official measurment system, but can't even state what it is. That kind if incapability is on par with northern Europe in 900BC, or central Africa in about 1400AD.

    @blakeyrat said:

    I didn't say this either.

    And what was your anecdote with shooting the street signs about?

    @blakeyrat said:

    Nor this.

    Brotip: being above the national identities implies you're too smart for this shit, and unlike the nation-identifiers, you can see the world more clearly, by avoiding cultural distortions imposed by the concept of nations. Or was it just generic rebuttal without much thought put into it?

    @blakeyrat said:

    I don't know how many 180kg is.

    So you are unable to make any counter to that? Good for me, I guess.

    @blakeyrat said:

    And you can't fucking read. Go back to 3rd grade.

    YOU WROTE IT SO YOU SHOULD MAKE SURE ALL YOUR READERS GET THE MESSAGE RIGHT YOU CANT COMMUNICATE BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!!



  • @Gaska said:

    What can I say? Good for you?

    Thank you.

    @Gaska said:

    And we discussed exactly one (1) aspect so far. That gives 100% similarity.

    I guess I can't argue with that "logic".

    @Gaska said:

    You said it's so ineffective it can't not just enforce its official measurment system, but can't even state what it is. That kind if incapability is on par with northern Europe in 900BC, or central Africa in about 1400AD.

    Correct.

    And that says what about Africa-in-general? Africa's a pretty big Continent, and Liberia's (relatively-speaking) a pretty small country. If I said Canadians were beer-swilling cheese-curd lovers who love hockey, does that mean Americans are too? No! We hate hockey!

    @Gaska said:

    And what was your anecdote with shooting the street signs about?

    It was a joke.

    @Gaska said:

    Brotip: being above the national identities implies you're too smart for this shit, and unlike the nation-identifiers, you can see the world more clearly, by avoiding cultural distortions imposed by the concept of nations. Or was it just generic rebuttal without much thought put into it?

    No, it means I'm a deity.

    @Gaska said:

    So you are unable to make any counter to that? Good for me, I guess.

    Yay we're all happy.


  • SockDev

    @blakeyrat said:

    No, it means I'm a deity.

    <!-- Emoji'd by MobileEmoji 0.2.0-->


  • @Gaska said:

    You said it's so ineffective it can't not just enforce its official measurment system, but can't even state what it is. That kind if incapability is on par with northern Europe in 900BC, or central Africa in about 1400AD.

    Or a certain small, modern, European country who can't figure out if they even have a government.

    That's not fair. They obviously know they don't, or didn't for a long time.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    No, it means I'm a deity.

    If you're not able to see things objectively, then you're pretty shitty deity.



  • since when deitys are objective?



  • @Gaska said:

    If you're not able to see things objectively, then you're pretty shitty deity.

    Most deities that humans have believed in throughout history have been pretty shitty, especially in polytheistic religions. In many cases the gods were fighting among themselves and generally displaying the worst of human character defects.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.