Evidence Etiquette

• mod

Continuing the discussion from The WTF Cooking Show Thread:

@accalia said:

no, too lenient.

they get sent to the circle of hell reserved for mutineers with the word "snitch" tatooed all over their body.

oh and they will reanimate an hour after any mortal blow.

:-)

Lets us posit a scenario[1] wherein @accalia whooshed on a pop-culture reference. In this scenario, let us further conjecture that a user first flagged @accalia for said whoosh, and then sent her a PM to notify her of the flag. During the ensuing private conversation, @accalia first denied the whoosh, then realized that she did, indeed, commit said whoosh, and should have known better.

Should we have some sort of etiquette concerning the presentation of such evidence? Should it be held in confidence? Or should it be submitted to the staff as they consider awarding the appropriate badge?

[1] Definitely hypothetical, possibly based in reality.

• SockDev

With the agreement of all parties involved (or extensive peer pressure from other forum members (or the fiancée)), I'd say publish ;)

<!-- Emoji'd by MobileEmoji 0.2.0-->

• SockDev

you ■■■■ ■■■■■■■■■■ ■■■■■ ■■■■■■!

i told you to keep that ■■■■ing private!

:stuck_out_tongue:

well no i didn't but it seemed like the thing to say.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@abarker said:

Should we have some sort of etiquette concerning the presentation of such evidence? Should it be held in confidence?

Is it interesting evidence? If so: release it to the public. @accalia is a celebrity for holding the spoon anyway, right?

Filed Under: This comment may or may not represent my thoughts on this and might be purely comedical

• mod

@RaceProUK said:

extensive peer pressure from other forum members (or the fiancée)

Would this constitute the beginning of such peer pressure?

@Kuro said:

Is it interesting evidence?

YMMV. I found it interesting to see the progression from "I got it!" to "Huh?" to "Doh!" as the conversation progressed.

• BINNED

So... if someone recognizes that it's a reference, but has to google the origin, does that qualify as a woosh? Asking for a friend.

• SockDev

yeah... i thought i had the joke at the beginning, but then you cited the reference more directly and it confused me. then you out right showed me the reference and i realized that what i thought i had at the beginning was way wrong and i should have got it at the first.

That being said even if i had gotten it actually in the first place i still say my counterpoint is a more fitting punishment.

• mod

@Onyx said:

So... if someone recognizes that it's a reference, but has to google the origin, does that qualify as a woosh? Asking for a friend.

IMHO, only if you post about it. ;)

• mod

@accalia said:

That being said even if i had gotten it actually in the first place i still say my counterpoint is a more fitting punishment.

But you would have written it in such a way to tie into the reference, I'm sure.

• SockDev

well obviously!

it was a good reference, and i should have gotten it.

• This is admission of whoosh. Let's get the flags out :laughing:

• SockDev

YIP KYON YIP BARK KYON YIP YIP GROWL!

<descriptive

• SockDev

@accalia said:

YIP KYON YIP BARK KYON YIP YIP GROWL!

Why do you keep bringing this onto yourself then? :laughing:

• SockDev

@RaceProUK said:

Why do you keep bringing this onto yourself then?

i honestly have no idea.

• If the whoosh relies on any sort of cultural reference, it's probably a good idea to say more than "whoosh" in your flag, just in case the hypothetical moderator who sees your flag has no fucking clue what the fuck someone is supposedly whooshing about.

I know that I've granted whoosh badges on a single flag when it's been particularly obvious and egregious to my POV. (There's no official 3-flag requirement for them, so it's just a guideline for judging community sentiment, AFAI concerned.) I'm certainly open to pleadings, though.

• Flagged unable to NLS.

Inb4 WONT_FIX

• SockDev

@JazzyJosh said:

NLS

in the assumption that this has something to do with translation that's oine of the many creative way i self censor.

I realize i don't have to self censor here. It amuses me to so i do.

• Computing
    NLS (computer system) or oN-Line System, a pioneering computer system by Douglas Engelbart
    National Language Support or Native Language Support, in software

You do realize these flag posts in actual topics are in jest? If it was an actual flag I wouldn't be posting :3

• SockDev

@accalia said:

i honestly have no idea.

Speaking of ideas, a UK MP once diverted speeding tickets to his wife; we could come to a similar arrangement over whoosh badges :laughing:

• SockDev

@RaceProUK said:

Speaking of ideas, a UK MP once diverted speeding tickets to his wife; we could come to a similar arrangement over whoosh badges

hmm.... i can't speak for that MP but i like my fiancée too much to do that to her!

• Maybe @RaceProUK meant any flags heshe potentially earns going forwards.

• SockDev

@accalia said:

hmm.... i can't speak for that MP but i like my fiancée too much to do that tofor her!

I wouldn't mind taking a few whoosh badges; I don't seem to be able to earn any of my own anyway :laughing:
    @loopback0 said:
    Maybe @RaceProUK meant any flags heshe potentially earns going forwards.

I don't earn enough flags to be worth it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• SockDev

@RaceProUK said:

I don't earn enough flags to be worth it

i find attempting to build on the jokes of others a particularly good way of getting woosh badges.

usually because the person whose joke you tried to extend complains that you didn't get their joke and everyone jumps on the flag bandwagon.

• SockDev

@accalia said:

i find attempting to build on the jokes of others a particularly good way of getting woosh badges.

Don't think I'll need that trick; seems I've whooshed spectacularly today :laughing:

• SockDev

who said it was a trick? i'm actually annoyed that it works that way. i like meta humor

• mod

@RaceProUK said:

Don't think I'll need that trick; seems I've whooshed spectacularly today

Yeah, that was a pretty bad one.

• And yet the post which started this topic survived the whoosh badgering. :laughing:

• SockDev

for which some of us are thankful.

• mod

@loopback0 said:

And yet the post which started this topic survived the whoosh badgering.

That is not my fault! I did good by Firefly and Shepherd Book!

• @accalia said:

for which someone of us areis thankful.

FTFY

• Yeah, so did I.

Maybe it's @boomzilla not doing his job again. :laughing:
    Where's @blakeyrat? He's normally a fair judge of such matters. :laughing:

Filed under: I'm a bloody comedian

• @loopback0 said:

Maybe it's @boomzilla not doing his job again.

But on purpose or just being lazy?

• Result's the same? ;)

• @abarker said:

IMHO, only if you post about it. ;)

Great advice. It would never work on @accalia, of course, but ignoring a reference to something you don't get never awarded any flags.

• @Mikael_Svahnberg said:

ignoring a reference to something you don't get never awarded any flags.

That has probably avoided the awarding to me of a large number of badges. Pop culture and I are not exactly best buddies.

• @HardwareGeek said:

That has probably avoided the awarding to me of a large number of badges. Pop culture and I are not exactly best buddies.

Yeah. For those, the whoosh is so hard it's a wham!

For those, the whoosh is so hard it's a wham!

• Yup. Not your usual flock of seagulls.

flock of seagulls

• Damn. I was baiting @loopback0 to see if he would catch on to the wham! reference earlier. Was not sure whether he had whooshed on purpose or not...

Spoilsport.

• There'd be quite the Hue & Cry if @loopback0 had an A-ha! moment, but would we all be Proclaimers of the whoosh, or Pretenders that it never happened? What a Duran Duran!
    Filed under: Echo and the Bunnymen

• Meanwhile, I'm thinking I should have gone with housemartins instead of seagulls, but it did not fit that well with the total eclipse in the picture he posted.

Ah, well. I'll get my fixx elsewhere instead. Madness, I tell you, but that's the way it is with simple minds.

• mod

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.