Topic random rewind?

• OK, I haven't been able to come up with a repro case for this yet, but it's happening often enough that the threshold of annoyance has been breached.

Every so often, something happens in Discuorse, which causes it to start rewinding the topic, sometimes maybe only 10-20 posts, but on at least one occasion I watched it scroll up a long thread for at least thirty seconds, and it probably got back into the top quarter of the topic, easily 400-500 posts earlier.

This is irritating because I don't know what I'm doing that causes it (it seems to be a bad mouse cursor movement), so I don't know how to avoid it. It's also a pain trying to find where you were in a topic that you weren't expecting to lose your place in and so hadn't made a note of the post number you were on.

Happens probably 5 or 6 times a day, I wrote most of this up yesterday, and it just happened again this morning, so it's a thing now, so...

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

The 10–20 posts is probably where it decides to put you at the start of a post load chunk for some inscrutable reason. It seems to be particularly correlated with having a reload (because Disocurse!) in a topic, then going back to the topic list, then going forward to something else. But not always.

I don't think I've seen the 400–500 one yet.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

It's the discourse patented random-random >.> Just jam the noodle!

• @tar said:

Every so often, something happens in Discuorse, which causes it to start rewinding the topic, sometimes maybe only 10-20 posts

Seen this. As bad as 60 posts one time.

@tar said:

on at least one occasion I watched it scroll up a long thread for at least thirty seconds, and it probably got back into the top quarter of the topic, easily 400-500

Woah! Never had it that bad!

• FoxDev

Does it happen more often in threads with a lot of images in posts?

• This happens ALL the time on mobile for me. 😡

• That happens to me on Windows Mobile like every 4th or 5th topic view.

When it happens I usually get pissed off at this broken forum and see what's cooking on Fark.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

I get this on desktop and mobile sometimes.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

what's cooking on Fark

Anything good?

• FoxDev

@RaceProUK said:

Fark

you just answered your own question. :-P

/me wanders off to try and sell snakeoildiscourse to Fark

• FoxDev

@accalia said:

/me wanders off to try and sell snakeoildiscourse to Fark

The Evil Ideas blah blah blah arrows and such ;)

• @RaceProUK said:

Anything good?

Fark actually restyled their webpage so it works like shit on Windows Phone, too. Content's the same as it ever was.

• I get this on my WP8.1 phone too. It sometimes gets into a loop where it keeps jumping to the top of the loaded posts, loading the previous chunk, then jumping to the top of that until it gets back to the beginning of the topic. When I see it happening, I can get it to stop by quickly scrolling downwards (or swiping upwards) repeatedly, but I still end up maybe 60 posts away from where I should be.

On a related note, has anyone noticed the page completely freezing on Windows Phone? Sometimes I'll be scrolling through a topic, the page will freeze up with the green bar about two thirds of the way up the screen, and the page won't respond to any actions. The only way out of that is to reload the page, which takes me back to wherever I entered the topic because I've disabled URL history spamming.

• @Keith said:

On a related note, has anyone noticed the page completely freezing on Windows Phone?

Yep! Try putting focus in the address bar then hitting the phone back button taking you back to the page. That work around seems to work for me most of the time, but the longer I browse without doing a full reload the wonkier it gets.

•   // Called the the topmost visible post on the page changes.
      topVisibleChanged: function(post) {
        if (!post) { return; }

var postStream = this.get('postStream'),
            firstLoadedPost = postStream.get('firstLoadedPost');

this.set('currentPost', post.get('post_number'));

if (post.get('post_number') === 1) { return; }

if (firstLoadedPost && firstLoadedPost === post) {
          // Note: jQuery shouldn't be done in a controller, but how else can we
          // trigger a scroll after a promise resolves in a controller? We need
          // to do this to preserve upwards infinte scrolling.
          var $body = $('body'),
              $elem = $('#post-cloak-' + post.get('post_number')),
              distToElement = $body.scrollTop() - $elem.position().top;

postStream.prependMore().then(function() {
            Em.run.next(function () {
              $elem = $('#post-cloak-' + post.get('post_number'));

// Quickly going back might mean the element is destroyed
              var position = $elem.position();
              if (position && position.top) {
                $('html, body').scrollTop(position.top + distToElement);
              }
            });
          });
        }
      },

• Changing the orientation normally works for me.

• Banned

Repro on WP8.1. It's been irritating me from the first day when I decided to use this site on my mobile. But I think it's more of a fuck up on IE's side than Discourse's .Still, it makes browsing the forum a terrible experience.

But Windows Phone has too small market share for @codinghorror to give a fuck.

• FoxDev

@Gaska said:

But Windows Phone has too small market share for @codinghorror to give a fuck.

Also this:
    @Polygeekery said:
    It is a well known fact <that i just made up> that Windows Phone is used entirely by furry enthusiasts. Jeff is a furry hater.

😆

• If it's any consolation to you Windows Phone users, a lot of my interaction at the moment is through an absolutely awful Samsung phone, which has two favorite tricks:

• pegging the CPU at 100% for seconds at a time, and
    • oh hey, let's reboot why not.

Can't really hold the DiscoDevs responsible for that, but there are some pretty horrible Android experiences out there too...

• @tar said:

oh hey, let's reboot why not.

Unfortunately that's not exclusive to awful Samsungs. I had an old HTC that would sometimes do that and I thought "maybe it's the custom roms". Then it happened on a locked-down Sony-Ericsson phone, and I thought maybe it was carrier/manufacturer overlays as well. Then it happened on a bone-stock Nexus 4 and I concluded it just sometimes happens on Android.

• FoxDev

I had an old LG Optimus 7 that randomly rebooted, and that was a WinPhone.

My current Lumia 920 though; it makes rock-solid look soft and squidgy 😄

• @hungrier said:

it just sometimes happens on Android.

Could be. I'm usually on some version of CM, so it goes with the territory to some extent. I remember my Motorola being pretty stable before I smashed it, the difference between that phone and this one was night and day. (I have a new Motorola in the mail, it was that good...)

This Samsung probably needs reflashing, but I CBA to spend 4 hours on xda-developers download .zip files and so on...

• I think the thing that stands out most to me is the question of what happens if topicVisibleChanged gets called again before the function scheduled by Em.run.next gets run. Particularly, what if prependMore happens to trigger the topicvisiblechanged event with the new firstLoadedPost? I don't speak javascript, so I wouldn't know where to begin testing for that, but it sure feels like that's what's happening.

Filed Under: Infiniloop™

• @dkf said:

The 10–20 posts is probably where it decides to put you at the start of a post load chunk for some inscrutable reason.

Yes, but I've seen it go back far enough to load the previous chunk, then scroll back to the start of it. Maybe lather-rinse-repeat, but I'm not sure. I've definitely not seen it do it more than a couple of times.

• Awesome.

• ♿ (Parody)

• FoxDev

• @boomzilla can we give @Buddy the title of "Buddy"?

• FoxDev

Would have to be @PJH because a badge would have to be created.

Nope. it doesn't have to be a badge. It just needs to be a abdge if @buddy wants to set it himself.

I also second the motion.

• Nope, "Edit Title"

• ♿ (Parody)

Cool...Done...@Buddy...holler if you don't like it.

• Winner.

• Awesome!
    Thanks

• BINNED

:inception_joke.jpg:

• @tar said:

Every so often, something happens in Discuorse, which causes it to start rewinding the topic, sometimes maybe only 10-20 posts, but on at least one occasion I watched it scroll up a long thread for at least thirty seconds, and it probably got back into the top quarter of the topic, easily 400-500 posts earlier.

I just had this happen to me for the first time. Evil Ideas topic, post 806. I tried to like the post, but nothing happened when I clicked the heart. I tried clicking "12 people liked this" to see who had already like it, and Discourse took me to somebody's (@tar's I think) profile page and opened the editor for a PM to him‽‽‽ Since I didn't want to write a PM to him or anyone else, I clicked the back arrow to return to the topic. It loaded at post 806, then I watched it scroll up, a chunk at a time, all the way to post 1. :wtf:

• @HardwareGeek said:

I tried to like the post, but nothing happened when I clicked the heart.

@HardwareGeek said:

and Discourse took me to somebody's (@tar's I think) profile page and opened the editor for a PM

That is a different bug, where the user card is invisible but still active wherever you last opened the user card. It will be "fixed" whenever the next beta release is.

As for the bug in the topic, I would say there might be a connection regarding going back, as I get the rewind on mobile now and again when I hit back.