The WTF Cooking Show Thread

• I don't even know what to say to that. No offense, but my kitchen workflow doesn't have a place for a knife like that. I'm not even sure what it is supposed to do. I'm not chopping vegetables with that. I'm not cutting meat with that. Maybe it works for bread, I guess?

I couldn't be happier with the knives I bought. Worth every penny, and I've only had them for about a week.

• @glathull said:

I'm not chopping vegetables with that. I'm not cutting meat with that. Maybe it works for bread, I guess?

The thing is it works great for all three. I know it seems weird, but I saw some reviews that said it was good so I gave it a shot and then ended up loving it and ordering more copies.

@glathull said:

Worth every penny, and I've only had them for about a week.

This feeling is pretty much why I ended up with multiples of what I linked.

• Fair enough. I'm not intentionally trying to knock you. the bottom line is that I just don't understand that knife. It doesn't make sense to me.

But if it works for you, that's awesome.

• Shun makes good knives. I bet that thing is still razor sharp.

• Slightly off-topic here, where's the best place to complain about Discourse? I'm fairly forgiving about a lot of things, but I fucking hate the way it displays numbers in your profile. That idiom with putting numbers in parens is thoroughly ingrained in me to mean that that's the number of new items.

Every time I look at my profile and I see Topics (2), I'm all WTF? I posted two new topics that I don't know about? Especially messages.

All (1)

Fuck you, Discourse, when I see that I think I have a new, unread message. And my sad, sad, lonely life is disappoint because it's the same goddam welcome message I've already clicked on, like 50 times.

So what's the right thread for me to put that in?

• @glathull said:

It doesn't make sense to me.

That is actually why I recommended it. It seemed like a "tries to do everything and thus does them all poorly" but while not amazing it did them well so I figured I'd point it out.

• FoxDev

@glathull said:

So what's the right thread for me to put that in?

Somewhere in Meta

• Okay, I get your drift now. Maybe I'll give it a try and see what happens.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@glathull said:

where's the best place to complain about Discourse?

Everywhere? 😆

• I do have crazy respect for Shun. I don't think they are quite as good as the ones that I bought (duh, otherwise I would have bought Shun), but they make really really good knives. No question there.

It's that one knife in particular that I don't understand. But I just bought it, so we'll see. Maybe it's awesome. I'll find out Monday.

• Serrated knives tend to actually out-perform smooth blades for slicing, but are much harder to maintain. (You need special tools to steel and sharpen them) That blade style is probably great on bread, and I know it will slice through a tomato like tissue paper, only smoothly.

• @Yamikuronue said:

Siracha

I am compelled to point out that it is actually Sriracha. There's an extra R in there. It has no business being there, but there it is...

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

That would explain why spellcheck didn't like it. All it had was Mirach though.

• @glathull said:

I'll find out Monday.

Once you get a feel for it give it a review with a mention of me. I'd like to hear others' feelings on it to tell if I was just so used to shitty tools that it seemed amazing or what.

• I hadn't thought about tomatoes. I could easily see that knife becoming my tomato knife. But I don't tend to buy specialized tools.

I do know up front that that knife won't do a fine mince or even a larger dice. But rough chopping and slicing for squishy things . . . I could see that working really well.

• I will do that.

• Garbage Person

Cooking? Like this?

I actually also enjoy cooking. I just don't do it often because I'm way worse at portion control when the food is actually good.

I did some apocalyptically good nachos and queso for the superbowel. I'll do baked goods for work every once in awhile (less often because baking for 50 is much more time consuming then baking for 10). I'll cook for friends house parties.

I specialize in adhoc Italian and Mexican based fusion and enjoy rice more than I should.

• Liked for calling it the superbowel.

Not for the DiGior-no-no-no's 😄

• Garbage Person

Walmart bakery pizza. Whether that's better or worse than frozen is a matter of much debate.

• I don't know anything about Walmart pizzas. I only go there for the girls.

• @dkf said:

get rid of the bones

Oxtail heresy! You leave the bones in until the end so you can feast on their marrows.

@glathull said:

What's your kit?

I've got a CCK that I absolutely love. The size and lightness of the blade makes it great for precise work (you can hold your thumb and index finger low in the blade, making it easier to steer than a french knife) as well as perfect for scooping the veges up off the board when they're chopped. And having a corner at the far end makes some jobs easier than I ever realized they could be. The stock handle is a bit tubby, so I filed it down on one side and made a bit of a divot for my fingers to hold on to.

Edit: added picture

My other knife is a Sabatier 💎 that I got back when their web store was still online. It got a massive notch near the bolster where a previous employer used it to chop duck bones. But I've pretty much sharpened it down to the point where that doesn't affect cutting.

• @Buddy said:

You leave the bones in until the end so you can feast on their precious, precious marrows.

FTFY.

The key to any cuisine is getting the right ingredients. Galangal is essential to a Thai Curry (you can add ginger as well if you like, but it will not substitute). If you try to make a Szechuan meal without Szechuan pepper you are lying to yourself.

• If you find yourself out of garum when preparing an ancient Roman dish, Thai fish sauce is basically the same thing.

• Sometimes you have to make do with what you have in hand. The other option is to live one block from an Asian supermarket! And ot's insane in there—I can get fresh turmeric root.

I did get all excited and thought about posting some recipes, but then I realized that I don't really make use of any measuring equipment—I just eyeball quantities until I get the texture/taste/consistency/whatever that I'm looking for. So all my recipes would basically be like:

take some chicken, and some cilantro, some chilli powder, some tomatoes, some peas, some potatoes, chop 'em up mix & cook, serve along with some rice

(don't try that btw, that's just a made up recipe to illustrate my point). Not sure how useful people would find that kind of thing...

• I view recipes as guidelines anyway, so what you are talking about would be useful to me.

I'm looking for combinations of flavors and ingredients that I might not have heard of before. Some kind of rough estimate might be helpful. Like when I'm making chili, I use equal amounts of chili powder, paprika, and garlic powder. But I use roughly a fourth of that amount of cumin.

But those kinds of guesses are not mandatory. I kind find very general ideas useful.

• ##Thai Chicken/Pork Red/Green Curry

You want to chop up and blend as many of the following as you can: galangal, ginger, garlic, lemongrass, bird eye chillis, lime (juice and zest), lime leaves, cilantro, iin rough order of importance. See if you can get about a cup of this blended 'mush'...

Chop up some chicken/pork into narrow strips (something like 5mm × 15mm × 50mm). And chop up some veggies into similar shapes/size (you want the meat/veg to cook through pretty quickly and be easy to pick up with chopsticks). Definitely chop up an onion, then add any of peppers, zucchini, carrots, peas-in-the-pod, broccoli those weird mini-corncobs. If you want to be a traditionalist, you can maybe add some (canned) bamboo shoots and/or water chestnuts, as well. Pour out about 1 cup of coconut milk.

Heat your wok to a pretty high temperature, throw some sesame oil in there so it starts to smoke, than add 2-3 teaspoons of red/green Thai curry sauce (you can find this in small red/green pots in most supermarkets, probably). Let that get hot and spitty, then throw the onion into the wok, then the chicken/pork, and after the meat's cooked a little, then the blended 'mush' of herbs from earlier. Throw a reasonable dose of fish oil in the wok at this point as well.

Throw the veggies in one-by-one, starting with carrots and things that take time to cook and moving on to the softer vegetables. Let it all simmer for a couple of minutes and pour in the coconut milk. Then you can add beansprouts and more cilantro for garnish, right at the end.

Serve on some white rice. I like a bit of Soy Sauce on it as well, but I am a western philistine. Usually makes enough for 5-6 people when I make it.

You can actually add both chicken and pork at the same time if you want to be absurdly decadent..

• Garbage Person

See, that's the thing that sucks about being Forever Alone. Cooking either involves eating leftovers for a week, massive overeating, massive waste, or using absurdly small amounts of ingredient.

Cooking for one is hard.

• When I was Forever Alone, I'd usually cook an enormous meal on Sunday, and then subsist on the leftovers until about Thursday of the next week. (Let Friday and Saturday take care of themselves! Of course, this approach requires that you eat the same evening meal for most of the week I'd alway hit Subway/Quizno's/etc for lunch to get some variety.

That worked for me because I enjoy cooking when I have the time, I wanted the option to crash in front of the TV with a microwaved meal after work, and I didn't mind eating the same food for days at a time (then again, I always made food which I thought was really tasty, so... ;<winking>)

• Pretty much what tar said. You are correct, however. Cooking for one is crazy inefficient. What I do is cook two very large meals (12 or more servings) over a weekend. Then I portion those out into manageable sizes and freeze them.

If you do this kind of thing, you will quickly build up a variety of things that can quickly be unfrozen and eaten conveniently. So you can not eat the same damn thing every single night.

@Buddy said:

Oxtail heresy! You leave the bones in until the end so you can feast on their marrows.

Why? It's been cooked long enough to get the tasty goodness out.

• I'm sorry, I don't have a good response to this. That's just the way we used to do it.

@Buddy said:

I'm sorry, I don't have a good response to this. That's just the way we used to do it.

To be fair, some of the oxtail stew recipes I've seen leave the bones in. This one didn't.

• Garbage Person

Tonight on cooking with fatass:

"Why do I have these useless noodles in my closet? "

1lb Farfalle, half pound garden aka multicolored rotini, 1lb chorizo, a handful of jalapeños and a jar of Wegmans mushroom tomato sauce, curry powder, chili powder.

• @RaceProUK said:

Beer works OK, but what you really need to neuter the spice is milk ;)

<!-- Emoji'd by MobileEmoji 0.2.0-->

Capsacin is fat-soluble. Whole milk works, but non-fat isn't going to do you much good. Anything high in fat — cheese, butter, fatty meat — will work better.

• @Yamikuronue said:

sushi is awesome

I like my dead animals, including fish, cooked. Fire, FTW!

• @glathull said:

What I do is cook two very large meals (12 or more servings) over a weekend. Then I portion those out into manageable sizes and freeze them.

I like to do this, too, but I'm not ambitious or organized enough to freeze small portions, so try to cook a quantity that I can eat before it spoils. I generally like to have two or three (but rarely get around to actually making more than one) things that I can alternate for lunches and dinners.

• FoxDev

Not all sushi is raw fish; some of it is cooked

Some of it isn't even fish.

• FoxDev

@loopback0 said:

Some of it isn't even fish.

QFT.

I was about to post that sashimi is sushi made with raw fish, but it actually isn't. Turns out it's only sushi if it's a dish made with vinegared rice; sashimi isn't.

@RaceProUK said:

sashimi isn't.

I don't like sushi (it uses… rice…) but I do like sashimi provided the fish is ultra-fresh. Preferably still alive at the point when I walk in the restaurant. Fish is very sensitive to that sort of thing; it decays rapidly (which doesn't matter much if you're going to cook it or otherwise process it, say into ceviche or gravlax).

• FoxDev

3 cups warm water
    3 TBSP dry yeast
    1.5 TBSP sugar
    1.3tsp salt
    1.5TBSP oil

proof 5 minutes

1c old fashioned oats
    .5c dried milk
    .5c wheat bran
    3-4c flour

Knead

Raise 30 minutes

Spread into pizza pans, add toppings. Bake 23 minutes at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C)

Makes: 1x 19" pizza and 4x 9" pizza

@accalia said:

oats

@accalia said:

pizza

Wot?

• FoxDev

@loopback0 said:

Wot?

yeah, i put oats in my pizza crust. i like the flavour and texture they impart. what of it?

:-P

Heretic

😆

• FoxDev

@loopback0 said:

Heretic

well if you don't like oats then just swap them out for corn flour or if you really want to be boring regular flour.

Oat flour is one thing, it's the oats that make me go :wtf:

• FoxDev

that works too, although you do lose the texture that's the reason i put the oats in there in the first place if you do that.

;-)

• I love all the sushi, but I especially love sashimi. I play it pretty fast and loose, honestly. I'll buy the flash frozen tuna steaks or a board of salmon and slice those and do sashimi at home. It's quite affordable that way.

Generally speaking those very large fish are killed and stuffed with ice or flash frozen on the fishing boat as soon as they are caught, so it's both reasonably fresh and safe. I've never gotten sick anyway.

• FoxDev

@accalia said:

i put oats in my pizza crust

O… K… :wtf:
    Guess it's just something else to add to the list of things to try… but that requires me actually learning how to make a pizza in the first place 😆
    @glathull said:

@glathull said:
    I'm at home in bed. Going back to sleep in a moment.

Sounds like a good plan ;)

• FoxDev

@RaceProUK said:

but that requires me actually learning how to make a pizza in the first place

read my post further up the reply chain. the recipe is there.

:-P