Can you play chess with two queens on one team?

• SockDev

Continuing the discussion from SHIP IT NOW culture produces shit like Discourse:

@accalia said:

i'm not in the habit of sacrificing my queen. ;-)

So, I'm your queen, and you're my queen… and how does that work in chess? :smile:

<!-- Emoji'd by MobileEmoji 0.2.0-->

• area_deu

Converting pawns.

• SockDev

Oh.

Forgot about that.

• I thought you could only convert a pawn to a piece you didn't currently have.

Nope. I was wrong.

That was an old rule from centuries ago.

• SockDev

@RaceProUK said:

So, I'm your queen, and you're my queen… and how does that work in chess?

@aliceif is right, you can't start the game with two queens but you can gain more throughout the course of the game.

up to a theoretical maximum of 9, but to do that you need to have an opponent who is basically trying to help you get the queens

i've rarely seen more than two queens on one side in competitive chess

• @accalia said:

up to a theoretical maximum of 9, but to do that you need to have an opponent who is basically trying to help you get the queens

And actively avoid trying to win the game while you accumulate queens.

• @boomzilla said:

And actively avoid accidentally winning the game while you accumulate queens

FTFY

• @xaade said:

I thought you could only convert a pawn to a piece you didn't currently have.

You choose the piece. No rule involving what's already in play or not.

@xaade said:

Nope. I was wrong.

That was an old rule from centuries ago.

Hanzo'd again. That's twice today.

• SockDev

@boomzilla said:

And actively avoid trying to win the game while you accumulate queens.

this too.

i wonder what the most number of queens on one side was during all recorded competitive chess games? I would be shocked if it was more than 3 (because with three you've basically won already)

• @accalia said:

(because with three you've basically won already)

Unless you take the idiot ball back.

• Back in high school, we'd play a custom version of team chess - two players on each side, two chessboards, two chess clocks. If I'm black, my partner was white, or vice-versa. [INB4 race comments of any kind here. :stuck_out_tongue:] When we captured an opponent's piece, we'd hand it off to our partner who, in lieu of moving a piece on the board, could place any partner-captured piece anywhere on the board. You would win by either:

1. You or your partner checkmates their opponent
    2. You or your partner captured the opponent's king
      2A) Yes, you did not have to say "check" when you open an attack on the king, to allow this.
      2B) If you were check-mated but in the process they left their king open to capture, you can capture their king and snatch victory from them!
    3. Your or your partner's opponent's time flag fell and you called them on it (too late if they did 1 or 2 on you).
      3A) Always fun to do this when your opponent calls "mate in one" or some such statement and you point at their clock. Look on face = priceless.

That kind of high-pressure chess playing was awesome. 2 queens on one player's side was common.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Bughouse chess!

The one thing I miss about the good ol' ICC.

• When I was in university we would play something very similar to that, but without the clocks and with some restrictions on dropping captured pieces:

1. You couldn't drop a captured piece on the turn that it was captured, so you couldn't just sit there waiting while your partner got you a piece that you wanted for that turn. Any pieces your partner captured would only be available on your next turn.
    2. You couldn't drop the piece in the front or back row.

• area_deu

That was fun, indeed.
    Long ago for me, though.

• @boomzilla said:

accumulate queens.

I'm sure there's a joke here...
    accumulate queens like Davie Street?
    *shrug*
    Filed under: Vancouver. BC, not the stupid one in Oregon...

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@tar said:

Filed under: Vancouver. BC, not the stupid one in Oregon Washington state...

FTFY

• I'll note that you fixed the location, but not the assertion that it is, in fact, "stupid".

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

It's not my fault that it's on the wrong side of the Columbia river.

• Every time I play chess with my gay friend, he's starting the game with two queens.

• @izzion said:

Bughouse

From the Wiki: The game is usually played at a fast time control; this, together with the passing and dropping of pieces, can make the game look chaotic and random to the casual onlooker; hence the name bughouse, which is slang for mental hospital.

• SockDev

@redwizard said:

hence the name bughouse, which is slang for mental hospital.

That's a new one on me; I'm more familiar with the term 'nuthouse'.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.