A sneak peek at Microsoft AR


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place


    Filed under: accurate

    Bonus points to anyone who shops in screenshots of Discourse


  • SockDev

    .... the windows XP BSOD?

    please... get with the times.

    this is a proper BSOD these days:



  • People who make fun of Microsoft are invariably at least 10 years behind-the-times.



  • @DoctorJones said:

    Bonus points to anyone who shops in screenshots of Discourse


  • SockDev

    a valid point.

    also i had to google what the windows 8 BSOD looks like. i can't recall ever seeing it before.



  • I'm disappointed at the lack of red screens of death.

    As I recall, you get those in Vista and later if there's an unrecoverable error in the video driver.


  • SockDev

    RSOD?


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    @blakeyrat said:

    People who make fun of Microsoft are invariably at least 10 years behind-the-times.

    Why? Because MS has not done anything wrong in the last 10 years?


  • SockDev

    no, that's how long it takes the kind of people that like to complain about microsoft to finally upgrade because they've finally run out of material and need a new OS to ridicule.

    :-P


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    Maybe it is because MS only releases a good OS about every 10 years? ;)

    You know you deal with financial information more than technology when you see the intialism "AR" and think "accounts receivable" instead of "altered reality".


  • SockDev

    @Polygeekery said:

    "altered reality".

    i always thought "Augmented Reality was a better term for that sort of thing. :-D


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    Meh, you are correct. Same difference. :stuck_out_tongue:

    Yet another technology that I see no point in.



  • Altered reality is quite easily achievable with minimal technology.


  • SockDev

    @Polygeekery said:

    Meh, you are correct. Same difference. :stuck_out_tongue:

    Yet another technology that I see no point in.

    it's a cool technology and could be really useful for HUDs in things like trucking (so you can see into your blindspots more reliably) or in medicine (always have the right charts on hand) but we're a good twenty years at minimum out from that.

    right now it's a toy. a very geeky toy.

    @accalia wants!


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    @hungrier said:

    Altered reality is quite easily achievable with minimal technology.



  • @Polygeekery said:

    instead of "altered reality".

    Is that what "AR" stands for here? I always associated that with drugs, not computers.



  • @accalia said:

    "Augmented Reality

    Ah, yes, that.



  • And here I thought Microsoft was purchasing Armalite.


  • area_deu

    I saw one!


  • area_deu

    What happened to those AR cards for the 3DS anyways?



  • @Polygeekery said:

    Why? Because MS has not done anything wrong in the last 10 years?

    I do not claim to know why.


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    @blakeyrat said:

    I do not claim to know why.

    Who are you and what did you do with @blakeyrat?


  • SockDev

    @blakeyrat said:

    People who make fun of Microsoft are invariably at least 10 years behind-the-times possessing a sense of humour.

    FTFY

    But yes, you do have a point ;)
    @accalia said:

    it's a cool technology and could be really useful for HUDs in things like trucking (so you can see into your blindspots more reliably) or in medicine (always have the right charts on hand) but we're a good twenty years at minimum out from that.

    Or for airliners, so you can scare the shit out of the passengers :smiling_imp:
    @aliceif said:
    What happened to those AR cards for the 3DS anyways?

    You have five minutes of ooh, shiny! when you first get the 3DS, then they sit on a shelf for the next decade, until you have a massive cleanout and throw them in the trash.

    <!-- Emoji'd by MobileEmoji 0.2.0-->

  • area_deu

    @RaceProUK said:

    You have five minutes of ooh, shiny! when you first get the 3DS, then they it sits on a shelf for the next decade, until you have a massive cleanout and throw them in the trash pick up one of the many good DS (NOT 3DS) games you don't have yet. After that, the cycle repeats.

    FTFY.



  • @accalia said:

    i had to google what the windows 8 BSOD looks like. i can't recall ever seeing it before.

    Because Windows never crashes.


    Filed under: I've actually seen it


  • SockDev

    @loopback0 said:

    Because Windows never crashes.

    you want windows to crash? i can make windows crash! easy!

    sudo bash -c "while true; do dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/mem bs=1 count=1 skip=$RANDOM; done;"
    


  • `sudo : The term 'sudo' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check
    the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
    At line:1 char:1

    • sudo
    •   + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (sudo:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException`
      
      

    :laughing:


  • SockDev

    Wait, you actually tried that?!

    :facepalm:

    You do know I deliberately gave you instructions on how to crash the wrong operating system?

    Although random filling the first 16mb of RAM would probably work just as well on windows....



  • @accalia said:

    Wait, you actually tried that?!

    Knowing it would fail miserably, yes. I even opened Powershell for the better error.

    @accalia said:

    You do know I deliberately gave you instructions on how to crash the wrong operating system?

    Yes.

    For reference I actually just typed sudo into Powershell not the full command.



  • @accalia said:

    You do know I deliberately gave you instructions on how to crash the wrong operating system?

    I wonder what would happen if I tried that in Cygwin. No, I have no intention of finding out first-hand.


  • SockDev

    I am pretty sure it would fail under cygwin too



  • @loopback0 said:

    Because Windows never crashes.

    Unless it's running third-party software, or running on hardware?



  • This breaks windows (7 at least)

    [code]
    cd /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administradores=F /grant=system=F
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administradores=F /grant=system=F
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administradores=F /grant=system=F
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administradores=F /grant=system=F
    subinacl /subdirectories %windir%*.* /grant=administradores=F /grant=system=F
    [/code]

    in a really wtf way.


    Filed under: Do not ask why i know


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    @tar said:

    Unless it's running third-party software, or running on hardware?

    If you just install Windows and then power the machine down and disconnect mains power, it will not crash.



  • @Polygeekery said:

    Why? Because MS has not done anything wrong in the last 10 years?

    No, it's because the people making fun of Microsoft always use content from 10 years ago.

    Microsoft is failing so hard, MFC is terrible.

    And stuff like that.

    10 years from now people who ALWAYS make fun of Microsoft will finally get to make fun of Windows 8 because Microsoft will have finally made something better, and Windows 8 will be bad in comparison.

    IMO, it's really the nostalgia effect. Because it's funnier to say, "Hey remember when Microsoft's Windows failed so hard in this way." Than it is to say "Hey you know the OS we all have to use right now. Isn't it funny when it craps out on us."



  • @Polygeekery said:

    If you just install Windows and then power the machine down and disconnect mains power, it will not crash.

    If a tree falls in a forest, and no-one's around, does it crash?



  • @xaade said:

    10 years from now people who ALWAYS make fun of Microsoft will finally get to make fun of Windows 8 because Microsoft will have finally made something better, and Windows 8 will be bad in comparison.

    !0 years from now? Windows 10 is out in just a couple of months!



  • @powerlord said:

    I'm disappointed at the lack of red screens of death.

    I had red screens of death in 1993 on Windows 3.1!



  • If a man speaks his mind and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?


  • SockDev

    @Mikael_Svahnberg said:

    If a man speaks his mind and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?

    The temptation to say

    Is the man Blakey

    is very strong, but I shall be a good girl and resist :smile:

    <!-- Emoji'd by MobileEmoji 0.2.0-->

  • BINNED

    Your level of self control is admirable.



  • @RaceProUK said:

    The temptation to say

    You've never resisted a temptation to run your mouth in your goddamned life and you know it.

    Oh wait you're not Accalia. Well still.


  • SockDev

    @blakeyrat said:

    You've never resisted a temptation to run your mouth in your goddamned life and you know it.

    Oh wait you're not Accalia. Well still.


    I'm getting there. Slowly.

    Click for interactive graph.

    <!-- Emoji'd by MobileEmoji 0.2.0-->

  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @xaade said:

    10 years from now people who ALWAYS make fun of Microsoft will finally get to make fun of Windows 8

    I make fun of Windows 8 now, but that's because of the finger-painting color scheme and not because of any stability issues.



  • I've seen Linux and OS X crash more than any version of Windows post year-2000. For me, even fresh installs of Ubuntu crash regularly on their first boot, across multiple machines with vastly different hardware!

    (sometimes it pays to be a tester with access to tons of operating systems)


  • area_deu

    @mott555 said:

    crash more

    elaborate.



  • @mott555 said:

    Ubuntu crash regularly

    QFT. and don't get me started on upgrading ubuntu.



  • @aliceif said:

    elaborate.

    Well, I actually can't remember the last time I had a Windows machine BSOD aside from sudden hard drive failure or overclocking failure. I experience probably 1 - 2 Ubuntu crashes per week, and they're random and don't seem to have anything to do with testing the hardware I'm paid to test. As for OS X it was 99% the fault of Xcode and various iOS development tools. The iPad emulator is good at bringing down the entire system, along with any other VMs on the same machine (we used VMware and had 3 - 4 OS X VMs because management WTFs thought a team of four developers only needed a single iMac).

    I don't believe I've seen a CentOS crash yet, but we have more customers on Ubuntu than CentOS so that controls the amount of time I spend on each OS.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    That's my experience with Windows too, the only BSODs I've ever experienced on Windows have been down to hardware problems and not the OS.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @DoctorJones said:

    That's my experience with Windows too, the only BSODs I've ever experienced on Windows have been down to hardware problems and not the OS.

    With the exception of OSX, the only problems I've seen in recent years (well, in over a decade) have been down to either hardware problems or dodgy drivers. The hardware problems were things like a bust graphics card (the GPU snapped itself in two with some kind of thermal problem) and a bad disk (that hit Windows, knocking out the executable that the NT kernel calls first to start up the rest of userspace — the equivalent of init(1) on Unix — and it was very fatal).

    I'm not so sure about the cause of the OSX problems. Occasionally things just get stuck, and as I don't have any externally visible services running ('cos I'm paranoid that way) I can't even begin to do things like trying to connect from another machine to see if it is the OS itself or just the UI layer.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.