Price Rollback WTF



  • I'll just leave this here:


  • SockDev

    Isn't this technically an Error'd?


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @RaceProUK said:

    Isn't this technically an Error'd?

    Since it's deliberate, no, though the juxtaposition of the slogan is a bit funny. Saving $-1.59 isn't something I'll be trying to do very often.



  • @dkf said:

    Since it's deliberate, no, though the juxtaposition of the slogan is a bit funny

    Sure it's deliberate and someone just didn't swap the prices around or made some other error with either price displayed?


  • SockDev

    It does look like someone just put it up without checking


  • Fake News

    Walmart customers \ lottery players ≈ ∅


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    They're all at it. Tesco seems to have the image search monopoly however; a sample:


  • BINNED

    The any in that would suggest there are other things in the deal that might cost more. Still silly that the cheaper one is in the deal tjough


  • SockDev

    @Jaloopa said:

    The any in that would suggest there are other things in the deal that might cost more. Still silly that the cheaper one is in the deal tjough

    True; those deals usually cover a whole range of items. Plus I believe the Tesco tills are set up properly so they'll charge the normal price instead of the deal, if the normal ends up cheaper anyway.



  • The checker at my local grocery store told me the terrible secret of space: if you see a sign like "3 for $4", they always pro-rate it no matter how many you buy. Even if the sign says it doesn't. (I can't guarantee all stores do this, but mine does.)



  • Not always, probably depends what you're buying, but I've seen it charge the deal price even if it's more.



  • This definitely varies per store. Some always just calculate the percentage discount, others only calculate a percentage if you bought that many, and when there's a '3rd free' offer some stores actually only offer the cheapest item free.


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    Every self-check I've ever seen does prorate it, they're not designed to have bulk discounts. So if you're not sure, try the self-check :)



  • The ones around here don't. Say 3 for $2 special, normal price $1 each: scan first $1; scan second $2; scan third $3 with $1 discount. On the docket it would print "wtfwidget discount -1.00" as a line item after the discount kick in. The screen adds all the discounts together so you can wow at the savings!

    I haven't really tried if it pro-ratas past the minimum for a while but it appeared to last time I tried.

    The duopoly supermarkets use the same pos too.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @Zemm said:

    The ones around here don't. Say 3 for $2 special, normal price $1 each: scan first $1; scan second $2; scan third $3 with $1 discount. On the docket it would print "wtfwidget discount -1.00" as a line item after the discount kick in. The screen adds all the discounts together so you can wow at the savings!

    The supermarkets round here don't print anything until after you've paid. They can correctly apply whatever discounts they've been told to apply.



  • Yeah nothing is printed until the end but there is screen for normal checkouts or a touchscreen for self serve checkouts where subtotals and these discounts appear during the process of checking out. They display ads when not being used.



  • They usually explicitly ask "do you want a receipt?" So to avoid printing if they can!



  • Round here, it gets printed off either way. If they ask you and you say no, it just gets binned.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @loopback0 said:

    Round here, it gets printed off either way. If they ask you and you say no, it just gets binned.

    Italy:

    The crime: dealing a 100-lire bag of popcorn without a scontrino (cash register receipt). The penalty: a 300,000-lire (about $240) fine for the bar owner who had sold the popcorn, and one of 33,000 lirefor Salvatore - who had to be bailed out by his father, seeing that he is only 7 years old.
    ­
    According to Italian law, not only must a shopkeeper issue a receipt but those buying goods must be able to produce it on demand.This draconian system was first introduced in 1983 by the then-Minister of Finance Bruno Visentini as a desperate measure to persuade Italy's 4 million or so shopkeepers - some of them regularly declaring incomes lower than their lowest-paid workers - to pay their share of taxes.

    Though that was over 20 years ago, so parts of the law may have changed since..



  • :wtf:


  • SockDev

    They fined a 7yo $25 for failing to produce a receipt for popcorn‽


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    Apparently Portugal currently has a similar system, but couldn't find a(nother) credible source.

    Portugal actually does this for example: you can be stopped while driving by the police. If they see shopping in the car they will ask you to produce the receipts. If you cannot then they will fine you for not having the receipt to prove that you have paid VAT.


  • BINNED

    @PJH said:

    According to Italian law, not only must a shopkeeper issue a receipt but those buying goods must be able to produce it on demand.

    Same shit here, though I don't think I heard of the second part enforced, ever.



  • Glad that doesn't happen here. I don't even keep the receipt for most things.


  • SockDev

    @loopback0 said:

    Glad that doesn't happen here. I don't even keep the receipt for most things.

    Sometimes I don't even take the receipt out of the store.
    Sometimes I don't even take the receipt.

    After all, why would I need a receipt to prove I paid VAT on a bottle of Dr Pepper? It's not like I can choose whether to pay VAT :smile_cat:

    <!-- Emoji'd by MobileEmoji 0.2.0-->


  • @blakeyrat said:

    The checker at my local grocery store told me the terrible secret of space: if you see a sign like "3 for $4", they always pro-rate it no matter how many you buy. Even if the sign says it doesn't. (I can't guarantee all stores do this, but mine does.)

    Yes, this is almost always true. Unless there's fine print that says "Must buy X." I know my local store does this with Coca-Cola products in particular. They'll do a 4/$4.00 or something, and it does say "Must buy 4." There's some other amount discounted if you buy more or fewer.

    But that's the only exception I can recall seeing.



  • I've seen stuff like
    #2/$3
    1/$1.59
    or similar.



  • @RaceProUK said:

    They fined a 7yo $25 for failing to produce a receipt for popcorn‽

    Exactly my sentiment.

    @RaceProUK said:

    It's not like I can choose whether to pay VAT

    Exactly the point.

    Stupid laws put in place to generate $$, no other reason. :wtf:


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @blakeyrat said:

    Even if the sign says it doesn't.

    Kroger sometimes does and sometimes doesn't. You can tell if you look closely, because in small print it will say "when purchasing 3 or more".


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @dkf said:

    The supermarkets round here don't print anything until after you've paid.

    Supermarkets here usually have monitors now where you can see a running window on a virtual receipt. It will retroactively apply discounts. So let's say soda 12-packs are $4.99 or 3 for $12, it'll say
    SODA $4.99
    SODA $4.99
    SODA $4.99

    and then when the third one is scanned it'll go back and put DISCOUNT -$0.99 under each row. At the end is when it prints out the finalized receipt.



  • @PJH said:

    dealing a 100-lire bag of popcorn

    I read that as "100 litre bag of popcorn" and wondered what a 7 year old would do with such a massive bag. Paired with "dealer" also suggested he was buying something you'd better call Saul about.



  • @redwizard said:

    Stupid laws put in place to generate $$, no other reason.

    So you have to have a receipt for everything you have ever bought ever? Clothes? Bag? Phone? Sounds a bit ridiculous, but then poorly thought out revenue raising laws often are!



  • I had to work on POS software (and it was a POS...) that had to work in Italy. The receipt printer had to be a special type that had nonvolatile memory so that totals, taxes and such could be reported to the government -- by giving the printer to the government... Those printers were a pain to deal with.


  • BINNED

    Just printers? Bah!

    New(ish) law here is that you need to be connected to the internet, 24/7. A receipt is only valid if there's a many-digits hex key printed on it, which is given out by the government servers.

    Yes, they require it for stuff like taxi drivers, or food markets which are out in the open. They have to have devices capable of connecting to the Internet, loaded with proper software and able to print with them at all times. You can delay the confirmation by 24h or something like that, how that is handled legally if you give someone a receipt without the code I am not quite sure.

    The market is now full of PoS POS software: hastily cobbled together Access applications, old software with support for this bolted on by fuck knows what means (I saw DOS software with this functionality), Android applications (including cheapest possible tablets preloaded with the stuff) paired with Bluetooth printers, custom devices with GPRS support...

    It's a glorious mess.



  • @Zemm said:

    So you have to have a receipt for everything you have ever bought ever? Clothes? Bag? Phone? Sounds a bit ridiculous, but then poorly thought out revenue raising laws often are!

    I have a retired first grade teacher home schooling my autistic son. She had her car booted by the city last month. Why? Unpaid parking tickets from 6 years ago (2 of them). They came to her house to boot the car, the same place she's lived at for the last 3 years. She knows she paid them. When she queried them, they said: "Got a receipt to prove it?"

    I'll come back later when I have more time to post what the county tried to pull on me last fall.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @RaceProUK said:

    It's not like I can choose whether to pay VAT

    I believe the implication is that hitherto, that's exactly what happened - the shopkeepers could reduce the price of items by the amount of VAT if the money didn't go through the till...



  • Or not reduce it, charge the same, and still skip the till.



  • @PJH said:

    RaceProUK:
    It's not like I can choose whether to pay VAT

    I believe the implication is that hitherto, that's exactly what happened - the shopkeepers could reduce the price of items by the amount of VAT if the money didn't go through the till...


    That's exactly it. The customer can't choose whether to pay VAT, the shopkeeper / salesperson can choose whether to charge it - and whether to pay it forth.

    Of course I'd suppose that the more common trick is not finalizing the sales in the machine at all, just taking the money and putting them into one's own pockets. Reducing the prices by the amount of VAT sounds like a very complicated method for maximizing the chances of getting caught.



  • Around here there's no hassle for the end customer. If a business purchases something, AFAIK, then they have to keep the proof of purchase listing VAT paid for their own VAT application.

    I believe certain shops targeting small business owners have card systems to simplify this, but I've never come into contact with this myself.



  • @Onyx said:

    PoS POS

    Why is the capitalization different? The middle word is the same in both meanings.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @ben_lubar said:

    Why is the capitalization different? The middle word is the same in both meanings.

    1. Disambiguation
    2. Because the people who came up with "POS" were unclear on capitalization rules.


  • @redwizard said:

    I have a retired first grade teacher home schooling my autistic son. She had her car booted by the city last month. Why? Unpaid parking tickets from 6 years ago (2 of them). They came to her house to boot the car, the same place she's lived at for the last 3 years. She knows she paid them. When she queried them, they said: "Got a receipt to prove it?"

    I'll come back later when I have more time to post what the county tried to pull on me last fall.

    Over here they'd have a bit of a problem, given that the statute of limitations for parking tickets is at most 6 months. And that's only 6 months if you actually get the notification that you received a parking ticket. Otherwise it's a mere 3 months.



  • Stupid laws put in place to generate $$, no other reason. wtf

    Yes, but not from fines.

    The whole point is that shop keepers weren't keeping a paper trail, and shop keeping is largely a cash industry, so shop keepers weren't paying their taxes.



  • What about POTUS?



  • @ben_lubar said:

    What about POTUS?

    Why even bother including little words like "of" and "the" in the initialism at all? Consider, for example, light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation is "laser," not "labsteor." PUS is just fine for President of the United States.


  • SockDev

    @HardwareGeek said:

    PUS is just fine for President of the United States

    ...there's a reason it's POTUS :laughing:

    <!-- Emoji'd by MobileEmoji 0.2.0-->


  • @RaceProUK said:

    ...there's a reason it's POTUS :laughing:

    There's a reason I think PUS is just fine. :P At least for certain occupants of the office.



  • @Rhywden said:

    statute of limitations

    7 years over here, for most things.



  • @HardwareGeek said:

    light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation is "laser," not "labsteor."

    To be fair, "labsteor" sounds more like sci-fi weaponry...



  • @tar said:

    "labsteor" sounds more like sci-fi weaponry.

    Maybe if you added a laser on top ...


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.