LG electronics world wide undefined

•  

wtf is that undefined on the right?

(i am viewing with firefox 1.5)

• From the looks of the page, the "undefined" comes from an external .js file (/js/embedControl.js) which contains only:

function __ShowEmbedObject(__ELEMENT_ID)

{
    document.write( __ELEMENT_ID.text );
    __ELEMENT_ID.id = "";
    }

and the element they're passing in (__GATEWAY__) isn't defined anywhere, so... undefined. 

Viewing the page in IE shows there's a <comment> block with that ID just before the flash applet, and works "fine" there.

• Using Firefox: highlight 'undefined', right-click, "View Selection Source." (Which just confirms what the previous poster said.)

It was some time before I discovered Firefox had such a feature. It had been on my 'wish list' in a browser for a good long while. 

• It appears to be generated by the line:

<SCRIPT>__ShowEmbedObject(GATEWAY);</script>

when I look in:

<SCRIPT language="JavaScript" src="/js/embedControl.js"></SCRIPT>

I see:

function __ShowEmbedObject(__ELEMENT_ID)
         {
             document.write( __ELEMENT_ID.text );
             __ELEMENT_ID.id = "";
         }

there is a tag:

<comment id="GATEWAY">

My WAG would be that IE is passing the object representing the comment tag to the function while Firefox is not.  The message from Firefox's JavaScript console is:

Warning: Element referenced by ID/NAME in the global scope. Use W3C standard document.getElementById() instead.
         Source File: http://www.lge.com/
         Line: 36

Is "GATEWAY" some kind of global variable in IE?

Bernie

• A Google search suggests it isn't.

I suspect that FF returns "undefined" when the not-explicitly-defined .text property is queried, whereas IE returns something else.

• It was even longer before I learnt fx did that. Ie just now reading that post.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.