Used to be about weaseling free stuff from Pizza Hut, now about more trifling matters

• @blakeyrat said:

Ok. Not liking the taste of alcohol is one thing; fine. But being like, "OMG people who drink are TASTING POISON!!!!!" that's Utah.

Alcohol is a poison. That's a scientific fact, not anyone's opinion. Many people seem to find the milder effects of it pleasant; I do not.

@Jaloopa said:

Utah is the homeland of the Mormons

Yes I know that, but my understanding is Mormons as a rule avoid alcohol on principle, not because they find it unpleasant.

• kills Dumbledore

@CarrieVS said:

Alcohol is a poison

Anything is a poison in high enough quantities. It's a pretty meaningless "fact". Nothing wrong with disliking the taste or effect, but don't act like people who do are unenlightened idiots for not agreeing with you. Who do you think you are, @blakeyrat?

• @CarrieVS said:

Alcohol is a poison.

Everything's a poison. So... you'll excuse me if I don't panic.

@CarrieVS said:

That's a scientific fact, not anyone's opinion.

I R SCEINCE AND I R NO DRINK BECAUSE SCIENTCDE!!!

@CarrieVS said:

Many people seem to find the milder effects of it pleasant; I do not.

I wager:

1. You haven't even tried it, and
    2. Still going with Mormon

@CarrieVS said:

Yes I know that, but my understanding is Mormons as a rule avoid alcohol on principle, not because they find it unpleasant.

Maybe they do is because SCIENTCE!@!!!@

• Your avatar is awesome.

• @blakeyrat said:

Everything's a poison. So... you'll excuse me if I don't panic.

Yes, technically. But alcohol is a poison at the dosages that it's commonly ingested recreationally. Acute alcohol poisoning isn't too hard to achieve, and the milder ill-effects such as nausea and vomiting, loss of coordination, and being ill the next day are widely considered normal parts of recreational alcohol use.

I had no idea that 'alcohol is a poison' would be such a controversial idea, it's just a simple, true, extremely widely known and accepted, statement. I wasn't and am not trying to preach here, it's perfectly possible to drink a little regularly, or more than a little sometimes, without suffering any long-term harm (and if you know the harm it's doing you to drink too much too often, and still want to do it, it's no skin off my nose) and many people apparently experience pleasant effects from it. I don't, and I very much dislike the taste, so I don't drink.

I don't drink these days, but I did try to get used to it when I was a little younger. First I get unpleasantly dizzy, then I get uncoordinated, and I get violently ill. No other effects are noticed. I am not, as it happens, a Mormon, and I have no moral or religious objections to alcohol, I just don't like the wretched stuff.

@Jaloopa said:

Anything is a poison in high enough quantities. It's a pretty meaningless "fact". Nothing wrong with disliking the taste or effect, but don't act like people who do are unenlightened idiots for not agreeing with you. Who do you think you are, blakeyrat?

I'm not acting like he's an unenlightened idiot. He is acting like that to me, but I'm given to understand that's just what Blakey does.

I made a flippant comment about disliking the effects of getting drunk, referencing the fact that alcohol is a poison, and not merely in the 'if you have enough of anything...' sense (though that is of course true, bu not especially helpful) since it is toxic at dosages typically ingested. He replied mocking me and Mormons both, so I explained what I had meant. To which you both jumped down my throat for stating a simple, true, common fact.

• @CarrieVS said:

But alcohol is a poison at the dosages that it's commonly ingested recreationally.

That's a blatant lie.

@CarrieVS said:

Acute alcohol poisoning isn't too hard to achieve,

Actually it's pretty difficult. You basically have to replace your entire solid diet with alcohol-derived calories. (That's not to say it's uncommon, since there's a physical addiction factor to it, but it's definitely hard to achieve.)

@CarrieVS said:

I had no idea that 'alcohol is a poison' would be such a controversial idea, it's just a simple, true, extremely widely known and accepted, statement.

I didn't say it was false, I said it was useless.

Potatoes contain cyanide. OMG potatoes are poison! Do you eat potatoes? You're EATING POISON! POISON EVERYWHERE!

Without getting into dosages, talking about things being "poison" is worthless. But of course you know this, being a big fan of SCIENCES!!!... right?

@CarrieVS said:

I wasn't and am not trying to preach here,

Another blatant lie.

@CarrieVS said:

First I get unpleasantly dizzy, then I get uncoordinated, and I get violently ill.

The first two are normal. The third means you were drinking way too much.

• FoxDev

@CarrieVS said:

First I get unpleasantly dizzy, then I get uncoordinated, and I get violently ill.

To be fair, that just sounds like getting drunk ;)

• @blakeyrat said:

Well you know how it is, you start with one beer and you're going "Ugh! I don't like the taste OR the poison, why do I keep doing this?" and next thing you know you're yacking in the back of some bogan's Holden.

edit: Yacking? Of course I meant chundering.

• @blakeyrat said:

That's a blatant lie.

Untrue.

@blakeyrat said:

Actually it's pretty difficult. You basically have to replace your entire solid diet with alcohol-derived calories.

Also untrue.

@blakeyrat said:

I didn't say it was false, I said it was useless.

Yes, I understood that. That is what I was refuting. However you incorrectly dismissed my argument as untrue, so I'm sure there's no point me trying to make it again.

@blakeyrat said:

Potatoes contain cyanide. OMG potatoes are poison! Do you eat potatoes? You're EATING POISON! POISON EVERYWHERE!

Potatoes contain cyanide at a level so low that any remotely normal consumption would not result in ingesting a toxic level. Not so ethanol in alcoholic beverages. Your analogy would be appropriate were I making this argument about sherry trifle.

@blakeyrat said:

Another blatant lie.

I wish I was a clever bugger like you who knew what other people's intentions were better than they did themselves.

@blakeyrat said:

I'm not denying that on the only occasion I got as far as the third, I drank way too much. My point is that through the entire process up to the point of having drunk way too much, I did not experience any effects that were in any way pleasant.

• @CarrieVS said:

Not so ethanol in alcoholic beverages.

There's no ethanol in alcoholic beverages.

You really have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, do you?

• @blakeyrat said:

What kind of alcohol is in there instead?

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

Ethanol ≡ Ethyl alcohol ≡ Alcohol
    @blakeyrat said:
    YouI really have absolutely no idea what you areI am talking about, do youI?

No, you don't…

Edit: I missed a correction.

• @blakeyrat said:

Are you perhaps confusing ethanol and methanol? There is no methanol in alcoholic beverages, and drinking any amount of methanol is dangerous as it is far more toxic than ethanol.

• kills Dumbledore

• FoxDev

Double @Hanzo

• kills Dumbledore

Yeah, but I sourced it

• OH NOES quick everybody, call me an idiot!!! QUICK! YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

A minor mistake makes ALL MY DEBATE POINTS WORTHLESS!!!!

• @blakeyrat said:

OH NOES quick everybody, call me an idiot!!! QUICK! YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

well if you insist...
    Blakey, you're an idiot. And I'm a bigger one for not just shutting up...

@blakeyrat said:

A minor mistake makes ALL MY DEBATE POINTS WORTHLESS!!!!

No, the fact that half of them are incorrect and the rest are strawmen does.

• Java Dev

I've got a flyer somewhere about this extremely addictive poison called dihydrogen monoxide...

• To be fair, you come across as slightly preachy by actually defending your disliking of alcohol against blakey.

• kills Dumbledore

• @CarrieVS said:

No, the fact that half of them are incorrect and the rest are strawmen does.

Which ones?

Look, I fucking mixed-up ethanol and methanol. The stupid thing is I even thought I might have while I stood up on the keyboard, and thought to myself, "man I better correct that post or the jackels are sure going to crawl all over this one." WELL GUESS WHAT I brushed my teeth too slow and look what happened.

If you wanna be a preachy Mormon about alcohol, fine. Go ahead. Just don't spread bullshit. Bullshit is my enemy.

• kills Dumbledore

@blakeyrat said:

Bullshit is my enemymain debating tool

OK, I think I'm done fanning this particular flame war. Have fun, kids

• @aliceif said:

To be fair, you come across as slightly preachy by actually defending your disliking of alcohol against blakey.

I did realise after the fact that it may have come across that way, so I took pains to explain that I had nothing against drinking in principle, I just don't enjoy doing it myself. That's no big deal to me, I said it entirely casually and if Blakey doesn't believe me about my intentions, I can't make him.

Otherwise, I was defending the perfectly true and reasonable statements I made against people saying they were either untrue or unreasonable, purely on principle of not liking to leave bad arguments unchallenged.

@blakeyrat: For the record, the fact that you mixed up ethanol and methanol, a perfectly understandable mistake, has nothing to do with me disagreeing with any of your arguments except that one. As for 'which ones', the ones I said were untrue in my earlier posts are the ones that are untrue, the strawmen are the rest.

I'm tired now. Congratulations on successfully trolling me.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Jaloopa said:

I've heard that if an American invites you out for a drink, you go for one drink. When a Brit says the same, you may well come back at 2am wearing a traffic cone with no idea what happened to your trousers

On the one occasion I had cause to be State-side for 2+ months for work, I can relate to this...

• BINNED

@PJH said:

On the one occasion I had cause to be State-side for 2+ months for workleave the pub, I can relate to this...

Ok, I'm done with pub trolling now. I vowed I will stop already but in this context it was just too tempting...

• ♿ (Parody)

@CarrieVS said:

I made a flippant comment about disliking the effects of getting drunk

And now you seem surprised at the efficacy of that particular bit of flamebait.

• ♿ (Parody)

@CarrieVS said:

I wish I was a clever bugger like you who knew what other people's intentions were better than they did themselves.

Blakey lied, POTATOES FRIED

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

ALL MY DEBATE POINTS WORTHLESS!!!!

BOOKMARK THIS POST!

• @boomzilla said:

And now you seem surprised at the efficacy of that particular bit of flamebait.

In hindsight I see how it came across. Hindsight is always 20:20
    It was not intended as flamebait, any more than it was preaching, and yes, I was surprised at the results.

Everyone seems to have enjoyed themselves, but we've probably played it out now.

@Onyx said:

Ok, I'm done with pub trolling now. I vowed I will stop already but in this context it was just too tempting...

... erm - I didn't leave the pub while over there, a few that I went in with - however - did leave after one drink. Hence my comment.

• ♿ (Parody)

@PJH said:

a few that I went in with - however - did leave after one drink.

It's just so expensive drinking out. So much cheaper and easier if I just drink home alone and can simply collapse into bed.

@boomzilla said:

So much cheaper and easier if I just drink home alone and can simply collapse into bed.

Home at that time was a hotel. The pub was cheaper... (no off-licences near by either)

• ♿ (Parody)

@PJH said:

Home at that time was a hotel. The pub was cheaper... (no off-licences near by either)

That's a fair cop.

• @boomzilla said:

It's just so expensive drinking out. So much cheaper and easier if I just drink home alone and can simply collapse into bed.

Standard practice where I come from is to partake of a pre-lash gathering at (somebody's) home and go out already drunk.

• FoxDev

@CarrieVS said:

Standard practice where I come from is to partake of a pre-lash gathering at (somebody's) home and go out already drunk.

And if you're a student in a Hall of Residence, you get pre-lashed before going to the hall bar to get pre-lashed before going out on the town 😆

• @RaceProUK said:

And if you're a student in a Hall of Residence, you get pre-lashed before going to the hall bar to get pre-lashed before going out on the town

I was speaking from experience in Halls. The hall bar was just used for having a quiet drink while watching some sport or playing pool. Everyone just got trollied in the common area of their block. Everyone except me. Except that once, and then I never got any further than pre-lash. Most of them did the legal high du jour as well.

• FoxDev

Different at different unis I guess; where I was, we got lashed at the hall bar then went to a nightclub. The hall bar was so cheap we didn't really bother with drinking in the common areas.

• @blakeyrat said:

You really have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, do you?

Go drunk. You're home.

• @CarrieVS said:

Alcohol is a poison. That's a scientific fact

I suppose that it's a scientific fact that lysergic acid diethylamide is a poison as well?
    Filed under: my hands can touch anything but themselves....

• @blakeyrat said:

@CarrieVS said:
    Acute alcohol poisoning isn't too hard to achieve,

Actually it's pretty difficult.

Maybe she means chronic alcohol poisoning?

• @aliceif said:

What kind of alcohol is in there instead?

Propranolol?

• @tar said:

Maybe she means chronic alcohol poisoning?

No, I mean acute. I'm not sure if chronic alcohol poisoning is in use as a medical term, but if it is it's not what I mean.

• That's when your liver inflates to the size of a soccerball and then dies...

• I've never heard it referred to as chronic alcohol poisoning, is all. Alcoholic liver disease is what I thought they called it.

• Well, I managed to tease one reference to my terminology out of the internet, so I feel validated.

• @CarrieVS said:

Unfortunately I can't bear the taste of alcohol

I know a bunch of people like this. I understand because the taste of alcohol itself at high concentrations isn't nice, it's the other tastes in the drink that are interesting. That's why I mostly drink beer and red wine, scotch occasionally, vodka never, tequila only when I'm already drunk enough that I make stupid decisions. "Tequila? Yes, what a great idea!" said nobody sober ever.

@CarrieVS said:

entirely dislike the sensation of being poisoned.

That sensation happens the next morning, which I'm not usually thinking about too much while actively poisoning myself.

Fortunately, while I do like a drink and have a few quite often, I don't drink to excess more than a couple of times a year and even then not to falling-down drunk so most of the time the hangover is fairly short-lived.

@CarrieVS said:

sherry trifle.

Silly Pom, none of the Yanks here know what that is.

@CarrieVS said:

through the entire process up to the point of having drunk way too much, I did not experience any effects that were in any way pleasant.

Okay, so before the dizziness is supposed to be a pleasant state of mild happiness (a "buzz") which persists through the dizzy stage and into loss of coordination. At about that point you realise you've had too much and that if you continue you're going to be ill, soon or in the morning, and you either stop drinking or often don't.

@blakeyrat said:

Actually it's pretty difficult.

Drink til you fall down and can't get back up and/or pass out. Congratulations, you have alcohol poisoning. That wasn't so hard.

• @FrostCat said:

This is one place, sadly, where Texas falls down. Not a single Pizza Hut in DFW, last I checked, has a buffet, or even, as far as I can tell, a dine-in area.

Way behind on this thread, but, there's one in Oak Cliff if you're ever near there.

3233 Fort Worth Ave
    Dallas, TX 75211

• @another_sam said:

That sensation happens the next morning, which I'm not usually thinking about too much while actively poisoning myself.

Lucky bastard. More brands of alcohol than not have me hugging the bowl way earlier than it would seem from the alcohol content. I can't drink pretty much anything outside of beer, dry wine, and gin and tonic.

The absolute record holder is whisky, which I tried twice or so and both times I've been nauseated, almost puking and hungover while still sober enough to drive a goddamn car.

@another_sam said:

Drink til you fall down and can't get back up and/or pass out. Congratulations, you have alcohol poisoning. That wasn't so hard.

I'd assume you all meant lethal poisoning. Otherwise we can :moving_goal_post: to the point of all of us having oxygen poisoning.