Used to be about weaseling free stuff from Pizza Hut, now about more trifling matters

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@ijij said:

Root Beer and it's weird cousin in the basement Birch Beer

sputters incoherently

www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/04/10

• @RaceProUK said:

And I believe it's still a thing where if you ask for Coke and the place only has Pepsi, they have to ask you if Pepsi is an OK substitute.

Yeah, I don't really get this. Pepsi's a brown sugary drink, Coke's a brown sugary drink, but to hear people talk about it, you'd think one of them is pine cones and the other is tabasco. Get a grip, people! Or you'll end up like that mentally ill man we read about earlier...

@tar said:

Yeah, I don't really get this. Pepsi's a brown sugary drink, Coke's a brown sugary drink, but to hear people talk about it, you'd think one of them is pine cones and the other is tabasco

They don't actually taste alike, though, and people have different tastes. I don't like Pepsi because it seems too sweet, and it's got an undertaste I don't like.

People getting all Hatfield v. McCoy over it is a bit excessive, though.

• ♿ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

I don't like Pepsi because it seems too sweet, and it's got an undertaste I don't like.

I prefer Coke for this reason, but I wouldn't say that I dislike Pepsi.

• @boomzilla said:

I prefer Coke for this reason, but I wouldn't say that I dislike Pepsi.

They both taste like cola...

• The smallest Dwarf Fortress map is 13056×13056 (17 region tiles per map, 16 embark tiles per region tile, 48 tiles per embark tile).

I meant a fortress, not the entire map.

• @tar said:

They both taste like cola...

That's a bit like saying Breckenridge Vanilla Porter and Goose Island Imperial Stout both taste like beer — nominally true, but rather different from one another. The range of cola flavors is probably not nearly as great as the range of beer flavors1, but they do not all taste the same.

1 Not that I would know; I don't drink it, and I have tasted only a few brands of cola.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@FrostCat said:

I don't like Pepsi because it seems too sweet, and it's got an undertaste I don't like.

👍

Agreed. Pepsi tastes so sweet that I could put it on pancakes.

• @Polygeekery said:

Pepsi tastes so sweet that I could put it on pancakes.

Once we got some leftover coca cola syrup and marinated some steaks for a barbecue. From what I remember it was really nice but it was when I was a student so my memory might be tainted.

• No I did not :)

• @Jaloopa said:

You could order for collection then take it into the restaurant?

Every dine-in Pizza Hut I've been to as an adult has been buffet with "all you can eat" pizza and salad. So you'd still have to pay to enter. And my closest store has the take away/delivery completely separate from dine-in. Like, about 200m away.

@Jaloopa said:

Go in store, order for delivery, ask the driver to give you a lift. Sometimes cheaper than a taxi (especially if you wanted a pizza anyway)

Have to be careful of delivery areas. I rarely lived in the delivery area of the store down town.

But I worked for a competitor as a delivery driver and this was explicitly banned. As was picking something up for the customer on the way (milk was common: I think the store even trialled selling milk directly) of entering their house.

(Edit: dammed auto correct)

@Zemm said:

Every dine-in Pizza Hut I've been to as an adult has been buffet with "all you can eat" pizza and salad

This is one place, sadly, where Texas falls down. Not a single Pizza Hut in DFW, last I checked, has a buffet, or even, as far as I can tell, a dine-in area.

• @Polygeekery said:

Pepsi tastes so sweet that I could put it on pancakes.

I wouldn't go that far, but it's a bit sweeter than I like, so I carry a squeeze bottle of lime-juice extract around with me and "adjust" the flavor.

For a time, the Pepsi people actually made and sold a version with the flavor already corrected, but for some reason it went the way of Clear Pepsi while the cherry and vanilla abominations remained.

• kills Dumbledore

@Zemm said:

entering their house

One time when I was a delivery boy I went to my last drop of the night and the guy had left (I think he was getting cash). His house mates invited me in and gave me a cup of tea while I waited for him. Since it was the end of my shift and I didn't have any plans for the evening it just meant I got an extra 15 minutes of pay and a free cuppa, so a win all round. He was also really embarrassed about it and gave me a pretty sizeable tip

• @FrostCat said:

They don't actually taste alike, though, and people have different tastes. I don't like Pepsi because it seems too sweet, and it's got an undertaste I don't like.

People getting all Hatfield v. McCoy over it is a bit excessive, though

My grandmother was a McCoy (yes, one of those McCoys), so I don't see a problem with "getting all Hatfield v. McCoy". Count me in for Pepsi.

@Jaloopa said:

Northampton is firmly in the Midlands

I thought it was in North Londonshire?

• ... did he just refer to "red-black spiders"? I've listened to it a couple of times and that's what it sounded like to me.

I can understand how that confusion could arise, but it's "redback".

• @Scarlet_Manuka said:

did he just refer to "red-black spiders"?

Do they live in red-black trees?

• @FrostCat said:

This is one place, sadly, where Texas falls down. Not a single Pizza Hut in DFW, last I checked, has a buffet, or even, as far as I can tell, a dine-in area.

Well yeah three dine-in Pizza Huts I had been to as a child/student have shut down completely. One was even where we rocked up at open and lingered until close, doing some study alternating with pizza or ice cream.

At the moment the closest PH dine-in is a bit of a drive and the number of bogans in there probably means it will never shut down. There was talk of a dine-in Domino's but it never happened.

Oh and it's all Pepsi here for Pizza Hut too, but Pepsi isn't common elsewhere.

• @Maciejasjmj said:

Do they live in red-black trees?

You are never more than 3 feet from a spider in Australia. I actually got bitten by a spider on Australia Day!

• How big was the biggest spider that you've seen in your house?

• @tar said:

Yeah, I don't really get this. Pepsi's a brown sugary drink, Coke's a brown sugary drink, but to hear people talk about it, you'd think one of them is pine cones and the other is tabasco.

It's not about thinking people who wanted Coke would be unhappy with Pepsi - especially since there's a 99% chance the person asking for coke actually means cola and doesn't care about the brand. It's a legal CYA.

Even though it's often [i]used[/i] in the generic sense Coke is still technically the specific brand. If you sell someone a cola, and you tell them it's Coke when it's Pepsi (or vice versa), that's a false description, and legally is just the same as something like serving a supposedly vegetarian meal that contains gelatin or was fried in lard.

Though they do taste different and I'm sure there's a few people who dislike one brand or other, and also I know of people who boycott each company for ethical reasons (that I shan't discuss as it's hardly relevant), so there will be a few people who'd refuse.

Personally, I don't drink cola because lemonade is simpler to ask for as well as less unpleasant to drink.

• Banned

Coca-Cola and Pepsi actually have quite different tastes - as mentioned, Pepsi is very sweet, and Coca-Cola is more bitter. It's like with apples - apple is apple is apple, but particular genres of apples differ greatly.

• FoxDev

@Gaska said:

genres of apples

Heavy metal apple vs. blues rock apple?

I think you meant 'variety', not 'genre'

• Banned

What's the difference between variety and genre, except for that you use one in some contexts and the other elsewhere?

• @Gaska said:

Coca-Cola and Pepsi actually have quite different tastes - as mentioned, Pepsi is very sweet, and Coca-Cola is more bitter. It's like with apples - apple is apple is apple, but particular genres of apples differ greatly.

If you think Coke and Pepsi are interchangeable at will, I assume you have similar opinions of mayonnaise and Miracle Whip, of Oreo and Hydrox, and of Ford and Chevrolet. (There, that'll push pretty much everybody's buttons.)

(When I was little, my grandmother apparently believed "ice milk" was the same as "ice cream", but then she was more than a little dotty.)

• @da_Doctah said:

Coke and Pepsi
    not interchangable, they are different kinds of good
    @da_Doctah said:
    mayonnaise and Miracle Whip
    interchangable
    @da_Doctah said:
    Oreo and Hydrox
    both inedible

• FoxDev

@Gaska said:

What's the difference between variety and genre, except for that you use one in some contexts and the other elsewhere?

genre tends to be confined to describing the arts, whereas variety is the normal term when it comes to rabbit food ;)
    @da_Doctah said:
    Ford and Chevrolet Holden

FTFY
    After all, in Australia, every October, at a mountainous ribbon of tarmac near Bathurst, Aussies have a massive Holy War between Ford and Holden. I have heard the Bathurst 1000 described as 'a massive fight where, occasionally, a motor race breaks out'; yes, the rivalry really is that intense 😆
    Aussies even judge people based solely on whether they drive a Ford or a Holden; after lager and barbecues, Ford vs Holden is an Aussie's most important interest 😸

#CasualRacismAgainstAFormerColony
    #ICanUseHashtagsIfIWant

@xaade said:

I'm not allowed to comment.

Not unlike here then... 👿

• Banned

@RaceProUK said:

There's no difference between genre and variety except the appropriate context.

I see.

• @FrostCat said:

@ijij said:
    Root Beer and it's weird cousin in the basement Birch Beer

sputters incoherently

www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/04/10

Dude.

Chill.

I got nothin. 'Cuz I can't tell what point I'd be debating for or against.

OK. This. Birch Beer really is that thing* that nobody really talks about. ooh, maybe that's it - like "first rule of Birch Beer" - sorry, I'll stop talking about Birch Beer now -dang did it again.

• For the record, IMHO:

Best Cola: Jamaica Cola from Canada Dry.

For daily use: Coke Zero, a perky drink with a peppery defiant taste with ebullient afternotes reminiscent of the "Hi-mal-yas".

Preferable to Diet Coke mostly because DC has some mysterious grip on me - if I drink one I want two. It's much easier to stop at one/day with CZ. Although, as noted above, they do taste a bit different.

• @Gaska said:

"Variety" has a specific botanical meaning, similar to, but not quite entirely unlike "subspecies." What is the difference between and "variety" and "subspecies?" Good question. The answer is almost, but not quite entirely unclear, except in the area of plant breeding.

In plant breeding, "variety" or "plant variety" has not only botanical meaning, but legal meaning under the International Union for the Protection of New Varieties of Plants (UPOV) Convention. This is the same as the botanical term "cultivar" (cultivated variety).

"Cultivar" is the most appropriate term to use in describing, for example, different apples, as essentially all of these are the result of human breeding efforts; "variety" would also be correct. "Genre" might be a reasonable (though unusual; "type" would be more common) term to use for identifying general types such as cooking apples vs. eating apples vs. juice apples.

• Banned

Much facts. So explanation, Wow.

• @da_Doctah said:

When I was little, my grandmother apparently believed "ice milk" was the same as "ice cream", but then she was more than a little dotty.

When I was little, I knew only of "imitation ice milk" (yes, such a thing exists, though I'm not at all sure why), at least at home. "Ice cream" existed only at Sav-On Drug store for $0.05/scoop (or Thrifty Drug, but they charged $0.10, or Baskin-Robbins, which was even more expensive).

More recently, my ex-wife once bought an issue of Cooking Light magazine with a recipe for ice milk that was really good. I wonder what ever happened to that...

• @HardwareGeek said:

"Variety" has a specific botanical meaning, similar to, but not quite entirely unlike "subspecies." What is the difference between and "variety" and "subspecies?" Good question.

I'd always understood variety/cultivar to be analogous to breed in animals. I'm fairly certain a Great Dane and a chihuahua are both canis lupus familiaris, even though they appear far more different than a husky and a wolf. Which is something I've never thought about before - what's the difference between a breed and a subspecies? It occurs to me that I have no idea, so this isn't a very helpful analogy even if it's correct.

...what's ice milk?

• Banned

@CarrieVS said:

...what's ice milk?

Wikipedia says it's very like ice cream.

Fun fact: in Polish, ice, ice cream and blowjob are all the same word.

• @CarrieVS said:

I'd always understood variety/cultivar to be analogous to breed in animals. ... what's the difference between a breed and a subspecies?
    Zoology does not recognize any designations below species other than subspecies. Breed or variety are not concepts that are recognized in the nomenclature. That's not to say that the concepts don't exist, but the naming of such is not regulated by the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature (ICZN) and, as I understand it, such names are not used in scientific literature.

A taxonomist decides whether to recognize a subspecies or not. A common way to decide is that organisms belonging to different subspecies of the same species are capable of interbreeding and producing fertile offspring, but they do not interbreed in nature due to geographic isolation or other factors.

Unfortunately, this is almost identical to sort of language used to define "variety," so in botany, where "variety" is a valid designation, the difference is far from clear. (Never mind that different botanists can't even agree whether similar plants are different varieties/subspecies of the same species or entirely separate species.)

That said, I think your analogy between cultivar and breed is a good one.

@CarrieVS said:

what's ice milk?
    It's basically ice cream, but made with milk instead of cream, so it's lower in fat. Not surprisingly, this changes the texture as well. It's been years since I had ice milk, but I'd say it's lighter, more like a sherbet or sorbet.

Birch beer is better than root beer, and if you don't understand that, you're probably a hopeless Philistine.

• FoxDev

@Gaska said:

in Polish, ice, ice cream and blowjob are all the same word

:wtf:
    😆

• @Gaska said:

in Polish, ice, ice cream and blowjob are all the same word.

From whichever thread that you Slavs were discussing words, I get the impression that this is characteristic of Polish — almost every word can be used to mean something vulgar and/or sexual.

• FoxDev

@HardwareGeek said:

I get the impression that this is characteristic of Polish — almost every word can be used to mean something vulgar and/or sexual

To be fair, you can more or less do the same in English.

Want proof? Anything by George Formby 😆

• @FrostCat said:

Birch beer is better than root beer, and if you don't understand that, you're probably a hopeless Philistine.

I didn't say it was better or worse...

• Banned

@HardwareGeek said:

almost every word can be used to mean something vulgar and/or sexual.

If you try very hard, everything can be made sexual, as evident by Urban Dictionary. There's a Polish proverb that goes like "hungry man thinks about bread".

Filed under: 15" rim with rubber tire

• @Gaska said:

I think you've pretty much nailed it.

• ♿ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

I agree, but @ijij was absolutely correct about the relative visibility and availability.

Of course, give me a good ginger beer any day.

• @ijij said:

I didn't say it was better or worse...

But it is, of course!

• @tar said:

But it is, of course!

Unless they're exactly the same... which they can't be unless you can pour them at a rate where the beer-velocity is equal to the speed of light.
    Wait. That's a different thread.

"I can't always choose Birch Beer,
    but when I can...
    I am not dissapoint."

• BINNED

@HardwareGeek said:

From whichever thread that you Slavs were discussing words, I get the impression that this is characteristic of Polish — almost every word can be used to mean something vulgar and/or sexual.

Pretty much, yeah. No such luck with ice/ice cream/blowjob in Croatian though.

Wait... do we even have a dedicated word for "blowjob"? I mean, the term exists, of course, but it's not a single word...

I smell an opportunity here.