Badge Requirements and Gamification

• @PJH said:

Looked this up because I apparently lost Regular (TL3) today. At this point I'm curious to know what statistic suddenly disqualifies me? :wtf:

• SockDev

//TODO: kick @accalia's furry backside until she gets off her paws and go writes that code so these questions can be asked of @shadowmod instead of needing @PJH

at a guess i'm saying probably topics viewed or posts read.

you've been visiting most days right?

• You need to view more topics:

• Thank you!

Now I'm curious to know what constitutes a "Topic Viewed." <2.5 topics a day requirement for the last 100 days - I read a LOT more than that. Unless it only counts new topics?

Edit: screen shot at bottom of my screen:

I mean, sheesh, the Topics Viewed All Time requirement is less than the Topics Viewed requirement for the last 100 days!

• Go into at least 23 new (to you) topics and read at least a few posts. I think that would do it.

• :belt_onion:

@redwizard said:

Unless it only counts new topics?

I think it only counts topics created within the last 30 days or something, so if you do nothing but read the same old long-running topics, they probably don't even get counted.

Not the mention the whole problem where if your browser (or a bot) sends the mark-as-read on a post before it sends the mark-topic-as-viewed you can never get credit for viewing that topic.

• I'll try it, as soon as time at work allows. Thanks!

• @darkmatter said:

if your browser (or a bot) sends the mark-as-read on a post before it sends the mark-topic-as-viewed you can never get credit for viewing that topic

:wtf:

• This was discussed somewhere recently in the context of bots not getting TLs they should have. There are some complications with bots not sending events to the server in the right order and forever preventing themselves from "visiting" topics where they did things wrong, but yeah, basically it comes down to reading new topics.

• :belt_onion:

@darkmatter said:

I think it only counts topics created within the last 30 days or something, so if you do nothing but read the same old long-running topics, they probably don't even get counted.

the above is just a total guess though. the other thing is proven 100% by mine and accalia's bots.

• For the record, I don't use any bots.

INB4 Chrome|Firefox|IE is TRWTF...

• @accalia said:

TODO: kick @accalia's furry backside

Jeesh, try to shave once in a while.

@HardwareGeek said:

There are some complications with bots not sending events to the server in the right order

You mean, the thing relies on the order? Of asynchronous requests? Probably sent at roughly the same time?

...I'll be over there in a corner, weeping softly.

• @Maciejasjmj said:

You mean, the thing relies on the order? Of asynchronous requests? Probably sent at roughly the same time?
    Apparently, Discourse must receive the "topic visited" message before it receives any "post read" messages. Once it receives a "post read" message, it ignores any "topic visited" message for that topic. Or something like that.

@Maciejasjmj said:

I'll be over there in a corner, weeping softly.
    A common reaction to Discourse.

• SockDev

@Maciejasjmj said:

Jeesh, try to shave once in a while.

what? shave this glorious coat off? NEVAR!

• @HardwareGeek said:

basically it comes down to reading new topics.

New, as in created in last 100 days I see. Not new to me, but posted 8 months ago.

• You're good now. Should get promoted overdisconight.

• @redwizard said:

New, as in created in last 100 days

Good point. For me, it makes little difference. I'm not up-to-date, but I'm close enough that all (or almost all) of my unread topics are within the 100 day window (or have been sent into the oblivion of dismissal, but I rarely do that).

• Nooooope, it counts all reading you did in the last 100 days.

@redwizard said:

I mean, sheesh, the Topics Viewed All Time requirement is less than the Topics Viewed requirement for the last 100 days!

That's a protection against sites with no topics improperly having people get TL3. Though the 50-day minimum takes care of that pretty handily...

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.