Testing Deleting and Undeleting with multiple styles

• FoxDev

Haven't worked on it yet.

Should soon.

Been busy after work with robotics.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Kuro said:

I'd actually be interested in knowing when I will lose my status for not posting / reading / liking enough

Looks like you'll get promoted soon!

Eh...you seem safe for a while.

• Will be promoted soon

that's a clientside display bug, @accalia won't have that bug, just need more if-conditions to make it right

• tri-state: Trust level (<TL2, TL2, TL3+)
    • tri-state: Requirements (Below 90%, 90-100%, Above requirements)
    • bool: trust level locked

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Kuro said:

What happens to the badges when you move the topic to a category that is restricted (like the Lounge) and leave it there for a DiscoDay?

It depends on whether this option is checked or not...

@loopback0 said:

I think you just need to move it into the normal Lounge for it to stop counting

I found out the other day that this is a thing and I really need to examine what's going on with badge_posts:

@boomzilla said:

Hmm...no, it's not hard coded any more, but has the magic UUID.

It's hard-coded in the Post/Topic badges, UUID on 2^n and derivatives.

@PleegWat said:

The arrows icon is hardcoded to the topic ID. Does that change on move?

No.

@riking said:

tri-state

TL_NOT_FOUND...

• @PJH said:

I found out the other day that this is a thing and I really need to examine what's going on with badge_posts:

meta_discourse=# \d+ badge_posts

SELECT
       (...  all columns  ...)
       FROM posts p
         JOIN topics t ON t.id = p.topic_id
         JOIN categories c ON c.id = t.category_id
      WHERE c.allow_badges AND p.deleted_at IS NULL AND t.deleted_at IS NULL AND NOT c.read_restricted AND t.visible;

c.allow_badges is boolean default true.

In other words, your UUID exclusion stuff could have been done with a category. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

@riking said:

In other words, your UUID exclusion stuff could have been done with a category.

No. It couldn't. The purpose of the UUID is to exclude single topics in a category that should otherwise be included.

• @Jaloopa said:

Could someone shed some light on how 90s era PHP hellstew forums manage it?

IIRC on GameFAQs forums a million years ago, you could delete your topic if nobody else had replied. Once the first reply came in, the topic was there to stay, unless a mod deleted it.

• @VinDuv said:

They don’t care which post in a topic is the first post. They (soft-)delete the whole topic when its last remaining post is (soft-)deleted.

The real question is why Discourse doesn’t manage it.

Actually, that's not entirely true. Let's take SMF as an example.

Deleting own posts, deleting replies to own topics and deleting any posts are separate permissions, as is deleting own topics and deleting any topics. (In all cases, any trumps own, so if you can delete any topic you can delete your own too)

The first post in a topic, if you attempt to delete it, is treated as deleting the entire topic with attendant permission check.

SMF has two ways of processing deletion. By default, deletion means just that: deletion. Hard deletion. Delete and it is gone. Bereft of bits it rests in the ethernet somewhere.

There is also soft deletion, which allocates an entire board (forum/category/whatever your terminology of choice) to deletions. Individual posts are pushed into new topics there, entire topic deletions are simply moved there. There were reasons for this at the time but I have long campaigned to simply flip a flag on the post/topic instead of moving them around (so deleting replies still leaves them in-situ for moderators) but this was shouted down because 'this way we can't find any of the deleted stuff' (because it never occurred to them that this couldn't be queried or anything, and it never occurred that I would never intentionally remove actually useful functionality but replace it with something at least as functional if not moreso)

@Arantor said:

intentionally remove actually useful functionality

Aka DiscoDevelopment.

• Indeed. I'll remove functionality that is not useful or so marginally useful it actually isn't useful for most users, but I won't remove functionality people actually care about just because I don't like it.

I have worked with people in the Discodev category before Discourse was a thing though >_<

• @Arantor said:

The first post in a topic, if you attempt to delete it, is treated as deleting the entire topic with attendant permission check.

I’m not sure why this limitation is in place. From a technical standpoint, deleting the first post of a topic is no more involved than deleting any other post in the topic (unless I’m missing something...)
    Sure, a topic without a first post is a weird thing, so you may want to prevent regular users from doing that, but IMHO moderators should be able to do it.

@Arantor said:

There were reasons for this at the time but I have long campaigned to simply flip a flag on the post/topic instead of moving them around (so deleting replies still leaves them in-situ for moderators)

It would also make undoing deletions easier, I guess.

• It's not a technical limitation, it never was.

A topic without a first post is a weird thing - but if you're deleting the OP, presumably you intended for the entire topic to disappear anyway including its replies? That's the thinking behind it, even if it's not necessarily correct. It's certainly matched how users have used it in our experience...

• And if it's not what you want, you can just edit the first post to say

DISREGARD THAT, I SUCK fluffy bunnies and unicorns

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@riking said:

Disregard that I like fluffy bunnies and unicorns

FTFY

Filed Under: I feel bad for bringing that meme back

• FTOP

<invalid

• Actually, that's configurable to prevent; you can lock editing of posts after a given x minutes.