Badge Discussion Category

• What about a new Meta subcategory for this? People could easily mute the category (right? that's how it works?). Hopefully we wouldn't have to heavily moderate this, at least for long, before people get trained.

Previous post:

@RaceProUK said:

Agreed; this should be done in a PM chain at most.

A OnePost might be better suited, since anyone could "invite" themselves, unlike a PM chain.

• SockDev

@boomzilla said:

TDWTF's own Puritan.

QFT
    @boomzilla said:
    A OnePost might be better suited, since anyone could "invite" themselves, unlike a PM chain.

Either works I guess :smile:

• SockDev

hmm.... a place just for discussions about badges and flags.

more topics to read, less chatter by the natives?

@accalia approves!

• Does it really happen enough to warrant its own category?

Btw I'm neutral on the subject.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

Sounds like more work for you mod / admins.
    I mean... who uses the "reply as new topic"-button here?

I still think the whole badge thing will die out eventually. It just takes a longer time on these forums because everybody in here is crazy.

Filed Under: The good kind of crazy

• @mott555 said:

Does it really happen enough to warrant its own category?

I think it happens a lot. I'd say just put it into meta, but it's pretty specific, and I can see why a lot of people would rather just ignore it all completely.

• This sounds awesome.

• @Kuro said:

Well, if we do this, I can think of 5 or 6 people (right away) who should start doing that.

• @Kuro said:

TL4s can do this stuff, too, I believe.

• SockDev

@Kuro said:

i have, although far less often than i should. i'm going to try and get better at that.

• mod

@boomzilla said:

Which "stuff" are you referring to?

• Moving posts? Yep, can do
    • Create categories? No dice
    • Create badges? Nuh-uh
    • Award badges? Negatory

• area_deu

@Kuro said:

I might be an edge case, but I feel anything but overworked on here.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@boomzilla said:

Well, if we do this, I can think of 5 or 6 people (right away) who should start doing that.

Actually, making new topics for everything would be bothersome to me. I usually just stop reading topics after a certain length or once they start evolving into something less useful to read.
    I do read pretty much every new topic, though. So using the Reply as new topic-shenanigans would expose those topics I can currently avoid to me.

@boomzilla said:

You gotta be careful with statements like these. Discourse can change stuff like this any discosecond!

@accalia said:

i have, although far less often than i should

It really depends on whom you ask. I am not really bothered by it. I just accepted long topics with various topics as the way this forum works. At the end of the day, do what you want. I trust the comunity / mods / admins / TL4 / Blakeyrat to tell you to stop once you go into the wrong direction :smiley:

@aliceif said:

I might be an edge case, but I feel anything but overworked on here.

I apologize. I will now make a sockpuppet bot account that spams advertisement on the forum so you have more work :smiley:
    Actually, though, not being overworked either means that the other mods / admins / TL4 / Blakeyrat does a goood job or that we are just a peaceful, easygoing comunity.

Filed Under: Don't you guys dare spam my "New Topic"-category!

• area_deu

@Kuro said:

I apologize. I will now make a sockpuppet bot account that spams advertisement on the forum so you have more opportunities to submit flags and give @boomzilla and @pjh more work

FTFY

• @abarker said:

Which "stuff" are you referring to?

Moving posts? Yep, can do

Just this one.

• @Kuro said:

Actually, making new topics for everything would be bothersome to me.

I'm just talking about the, "Hey, I flagged you! You guys! Flag him, too!" type of talk. Or the other badge / flag related navel gazing. It's an out of band way for people to talk about this stuff. Like the Wikipedia talk pages, kinda.

• SockDev

@boomzilla said:

Like the Wikipedia talk pages.

hey now..... THAT would be a good feature request for discourse.

• @accalia said:

hey now..... THAT would be a good feature request for discourse.

Well, like I pointed out, it already exists with the "Reply as Linked Topic."

• SockDev

@boomzilla said:

Well, like I pointed out, it already exists with the "Reply as Linked Topic."

but that creates a separate topic that's visible in /latest

What i actually meant was have topics get a meta-topic that ONLY appears inside the topic (and via quotes and stuff) for discussion about the topic.

changing the title of the topic changes the metatopic name too, and etc, etc, etc.

• That sounds horrible. But it's a reasonable use for meta categories.

• SockDev

@boomzilla said:

That sounds horrible

actually it does, but i bet it would be embraced by a certain discofounder.

:imp:

• BINNED

@boomzilla said:

>Moving posts? Yep, can do

Just this one.

I've been reading too many arguments on here. I assumed this was about moving goaposts

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

While I'm not adverse to creating new categories when needed (see: Programmers' testing for example) I'm wary of creating too many...

What would such a category contain?

• Just badge stuff? Do we need another for Flags? Discussion about CSS? </head>? I'm not too enamoured of that idea.
    • Or include everything (and more?) mentioned above - in which case Meta seems to be it.

Or something inbetween?

• @PJH said:

What would such a category contain?

Just badge stuff? Do we need another for Flags?

I was really talking about flags, which in this context are about badges. The idea is that there's a fair amount of this that goes on among a subset of posters. It's meta discussion about posts in the topic that a fair amount of people are really interested in not seeing.

Having its own subcategory would provide a way for those other people to mute the flag talk without muting all of meta. It could also be a TL1+ category (TL0 can't flag, IIRC) so it wouldn't count towards badges, either.

I might be over emphasizing the scope of the problem, too.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

It should also auto-close like OnePost. Nobody cares who flagged who last week.

• Maybe. I think OnePost was my original suggestion, but 1 hour is a bit short. Timezones guarantee that, plus sometimes people come back and bellyache about this stuff. I'm not sure making it auto-close is the way to go, though maybe a 24 hour limit would be OK. Eh...the more I think about it the less I like auto-close for this.

@boomzilla said:

. It could also be a TL1+ category (TL0 can't flag, IIRC) so it wouldn't count towards badges, either.

There appears to be a checkbox on the Category settings window that mark that category as eligible for badges...

I'm going to have to have a closer look at badge_posts

Anyway - http://what.thedailywtf.com/c/meta/flags-badges

@boomzilla said:

Eh...the more I think about it the less I like auto-close for this.

14 days. With a suggestion to stop the timer if it's one of those topics that tend to drag on a bit.

And this thread could probably go in there for starters, along with possibly a few others in Meta

• Done (this one).

• @boomzilla said:

Having its own subcategory would provide a way for those other people to mute the flag talk without muting all of meta.

Thank you - muting the shit out of this category as we speak :-)

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.