New Badge request/nomination

• SockDev

@loopback0 said:

:checkered_flag: :triangular_flag_on_post: :triangular_flag_on_post: :triangular_flag_on_post: :triangular_flag_on_post: :triangular_flag_on_post: :triangular_flag_on_post: :triangular_flag_on_post:
    :checkered_flag: :triangular_flag_on_post: :triangular_flag_on_post: :triangular_flag_on_post: :triangular_flag_on_post: :triangular_flag_on_post: :triangular_flag_on_post: :triangular_flag_on_post:
    :checkered_flag:

@accalia said:

http:// what.thedailywtf.com/t/nan-posters-and-hamster-surfing/4069/1306

special snowflake nomination.

that is excellent button pressing and a very inventive manner of pushing that button!

it deserves recognition and pedantry, woosh, and spellar just won't cut it.

@PJH said:

But not snowflake.

Feel free to start a topic to solicit details for a suitable new badge. Name, criteria, fa icon etc.

so this is a request for a new user nominated badge i call:

That'll do... That'll do

(think "Babe/The sheep-pig")(name subject to negotiation)

using the icon :fa-ticket:

with the description

A special badge for exceptional actions deserving of special recognition as nominated by non-staff users.
    (think of it as a user nominated equivelent to the snowflake badge)

Criteria:
    At least one nomination by a user who is not a staff member and not the target of the nomination and the agreement of the awarding staff member that the nomination is of sufficient quality (good or bad) to earn the badge

• kills Dumbledore

@accalia said:

think "charlotte's web"

Do you mean Babe/The Sheep Pig?

• @accalia said:

That'll do... That'll do

(think "charlotte's webBabe")

FTFY.

EDIT: HANZO by @Jaloopa

• We need top n% flagger badges :laughing:

• SockDev

@Jaloopa said:

Do you mean Babe/The Sheep Pig?

do i?

/me goes to look at wikipedia

[very bad word]! i did....

serves me right for not checking my sources.

• SockDev

@loopback0 said:

We need top n% flagger badges

separate request that would be.

• @loopback0 said:

We need top n% flagger badges

• Irritant (bronze): Has submitted 50 flags in the past month, 1 day suspension on acquisition
    • Pest (silver): Has submitted 100 flags in the past month, 2 day suspension on acquisition
    • Scourge (gold): Has submitted 150 flags in the past month, 3 day suspension on acquisition

:imp:

Paging @boomzilla

• @PJH said:

+䓼

I had a similar thought when I read that. :-)

• kills Dumbledore

Would you get to keep your attendance up while banned? Otherwise the badges would be a barrier to getting badges.

I do like the idea that submitting flags gets you banned though. Nice inversion of a Discofeature

• @Jaloopa said:

Would you get to keep your attendance up while banned?

Nope - you wouldn't be able to log in.

• @PJH said:

Irritant (bronze): Has submitted 50 flags in the past month, 1 day suspension on acquisition
    Pest (silver): Has submitted 100 flags in the past month, 2 day suspension on acquisition
    Scourge (gold): Has submitted 150 flags in the past month, 3 day suspension on acquisition

:laughing:

Maybe without the suspension?

• kills Dumbledore

@PJH said:

you wouldn't be able to log in

• SockDev

ooooh....... @accalia likes

/me goes to look up how many flags she has handed out recently to make sure she's below the threshold.

• SockDev

@PJH said:

Nope - you wouldn't be able to log in.

hmm..... As i recall actually you can log in but you get the notification that you are banned and cannot dismiss that, but that also marks you as visited that day so you would count for attendance.

• 49 in the last month for me, based on the contents of my PM folder.

• SockDev

@loopback0 said:

49 in the last month for me, based on the contents of my PM folder.

29 for me, unless i miscounted.... IIRC (i'm not opening them all to check) they are mostly spellar and pendant nominations with one or rwo wiki requests in there.

• Hmm - I may have to lower the actual boundaries on my badges.

[postgres@sofa ~]$ sql_tdwtf count_flags_month
    # Flags in past month
    SELECT count(*) c, u.username
    FROM post_actions pa
    JOIN users u on u.id = pa.user_id
    WHERE pa.post_action_type_id=7
    AND pa.created_at > CURRENT_DATE - INTERVAL '1 month'
    GROUP BY u.username
    ORDER BY count(*) DESC
    LIMIT 25

c  |   username
    ----+--------------
     52 | loopback0
     36 | accalia
     20 | FrostCat
     17 | abarker
     11 | HardwareGeek
      8 | tar
      7 | dkf
      7 | ben_lubar
      7 | Polygeekery
      6 | antiquarian
      6 | boomzilla
      6 | riking
      5 | RaceProUK
      5 | tarunik
      5 | aliceif
      5 | Arantor
      5 | TwelveBaud
      5 | Jaloopa
      4 | Gaska
      4 | OffByOne
      4 | PleegWat
      3 | JBert
      3 | Luhmann
      3 | another_sam
      2 | rad131304
    (25 rows)

Elapsed: 0.317s
    Backup taken:  2015-01-29 04:00:00.118409
    [postgres@sofa ~]$

• SockDev

.... i missed a few flags then....

does that count replies to flags?

also i need to cut back on those. I knew that @loopback0 was flaghappy but apparently i'm also too damn flaghappy.

• Hey how about we get rid of everything that isn't discussion of idiot badges!? There's too much content here! Way too much! There's a risk someone visiting this site might actually see something new or interesting!!!

HOW MANY BADGES DO YOU HAVE MORE BADGES VOTE FOR BADGES DID YOU FLAG FOR BADGES FLAGS FLAGS FLAGS BADGES I GOT A FLAG BADGES GIVE ME A FLAG OR A BADGE OR FLAG A BADGE FLAGS <- every fucking topic.

• SockDev

well we really should get back on topic. @loopback0 has rather effectively diverted us away from discussing the possibl;ility of creating the "That'll do... That'll do" badge.

• @PJH said:

Irritant (bronze): Has submitted 50 flags in the past month, 1 day suspension on acquisition
    Pest (silver): Has submitted 100 flags in the past month, 2 day suspension on acquisition
    Scourge (gold): Has submitted 150 flags in the past month, 3 day suspension on acquisition

This I can actually get behind.

How about a "shut the fuck up" badge? We could award it to the people who post 67,008 times a day and yet somehow don't actually say anything at all.

(Yes, yes, you're about to make a "clever joke" about how Blakeyrat should get that badge first. Haha. Fuck off.)

• SockDev

@blakeyrat said:

(Yes, yes, you're about to make a "clever joke" about how Blakeyrat should get that badge first. Haha. Fuck off.)

based on your criteria that would actually be awarded first to the current holder of the wooden spoon.

.... oh.... frack...

• Oh yeah, let's get back on topic of posting smileys and pretending we're a fox and getting into these idiotic back-and-forth banters that a 12-year-old would find juvenile. God forbid we get away from that.

Let's get that signal-to-noise ratio at an even zero.

• @accalia said:

get back on topic

You must be new here.

@accalia said:

@loopback0 has rather effectively diverted us away from discussing the possibl;ility of creating the "That'll do... That'll do" badge.

• SockDev

@loopback0 said:

You must be new here.

no, but i am hopeful that we can stay on the original topic for more than ten minutes.

• SockDev

@blakeyrat said:

Let's get that signal-to-noise ratio at an even zero.

pretty sure, at least according to some people here, my S/N is zero, or possibly negative

• Look at this:

http://what.thedailywtf.com/t/show-tdwtf-my-side-project/7652/5?u=blakeyrat

Look at it. This Eldelshell guy made a post that basically took a pretty funny joke and removed all humor value from it. (Pro-tip: recycling a joke but making it very slightly more specific does not make it funnier.) Because he himself has zero sense of humor, apparently.

But that's not even the bad part. You expect idiots with no concept of humor to infest tech forums like a particularly virulent plague.

The bad part is his post has 2 likes. 2 likes. That's more likes than the original funny version of the same joke, exactly one post before it. The post was humor cancer.

And you people wonder why I don't use the likes button. Would I want to be in the same group as the idiots who hit "like" on that post? No. No I would not. Is that even a forum you want to be a part of?

OH NOES WE'RE OFF TOPIC! *waves hands frantically* Fuck off. You've fucked over more threads than I can count with your bullshit, and you're telling me I'm going off-topic?

• We need more badges, if only to see more of :point_up_2: this.

• kills Dumbledore

I didn't find either version funny...

• SockDev

@blakeyrat said:

and you're telling me I'm going off-topic?

no, actually i was pointing those barbs at @loopback0.

But thank you for caring.

• Hey here's a badge idea: how about "a person who has some small amount of original thought in their brain and put that original thought here on the forum for other people to read". Let's just switcheroo it. Nothing gets a badge except normal actual human communication.

We're obviously incentivizing everything except actually participating in a web forum here. At least for the morons who only give a shit about forumpointzzz.

And anybody who pretends to be some sort of woodland creature, instant hellban.

• We average a little under 10 per day around here. I think weekends are usually quieter.

• Some of those are legitimate spam flags.

• Meanwhile the mods don't even bother to actually moderate threads, even when the thread creator asks them too. What a great use of their time. Meta-badge-flag-bullshit.

Of course, half the time, the moderator's the worst offender in turning the thread to boiled shit. Lovely.

• @boomzilla said:

Some of those are legitimate spam flags.

They aren't.

[postgres@sofa ~]$ psql -d discourse -c "select id, name_key from post_action_types order by id asc"
     id |     name_key
    ----+-------------------
      1 | bookmark
      2 | like
      3 | off_topic
      4 | inappropriate
      5 | vote
      6 | notify_user
      7 | notify_moderators
      8 | spam
    (8 rows)

[postgres@sofa ~]$

• @blakeyrat said:

Oh yeah, let's get back on topic of posting smileys and pretending we're a fox and getting into these idiotic back-and-forth banters that a 12-year-old would find juvenile.

I have a quote for this....lemme see...

Aha!

QOTD on Ace's OOT

"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

-- C.S. Lewis

http://what.thedailywtf.com/t/the-thread-of-movie-titles-and-absence-of-badges-in-previous-episodes-it-was-signs-youre-getting-older-chiropractic-vs-medicine-atheism-vs-mormonism-and-religion-vs-science-with-no-existentialism-nor-philosophy-thrown-in/6979/308?u=boomzilla

• @PJH said:

They aren't.

Oh, very good. Details are hard.

• area_deu

I have to say, I agree with you.

Frequent arguments about deserving or not deserving whoosh badges are annoying.

• @boomzilla said:

Details are hard.

So is staying out of Meta for some people apparently.

• Great.

Could they maybe do the back and forth banter in their own little segregated topic I don't have to see? Instead of polluting every goddamned other topic with it?

@PJH said:

So is staying out of Meta for some people apparently.

If this bullshit stayed in meta, I wouldn't be complaining about it.

• @blakeyrat said:

If this bullshit stayed in meta, I wouldn't be complaining about it.

If the bullshit stayed in meta, you'd find something else to complain about to keep this persona up and running.

• Possibly; but that doesn't make my complaint here any less valid. In any case, that's a hypothetical assertion because the bullshit is spread evenly over the entire goddamned forum right now.

Hey, why don't we try it ("it" being getting rid of the bullshit) and see what happens?

• area_deu

@blakeyrat said:

Would I want to be in the same group as the idiots who hit "like" on that post? No.

But you wouldn't like that post. Which means you would NOT BE PART OF THE FUCKING GROUP.

Seriously, some of your posts don't even make zero sense.

• @blakeyrat said:

We're obviously incentivizing everything except actually participating in a web forum here.

Isn't it the whole point?

@blakeyrat said:

At least for the morons who only give a shit about forumpointzzz.

AFAIK, people here behaved like that even back on ye olde Community Server which had zero badges, not even a like button.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@accalia said:

more than ten minutes.

I present exhibit A:
    http://what.thedailywtf.com/t/where-do-templates-go/7634/

Not one single reply so much as mentioned Office or Word or pointless redundant configuration options. And we're up to 32 posts.

• I think we need badges titled "Somebody's A Bit Rankled". Or something funnier if it means approximately the same thing.

• SockDev

@Yamikuronue said:

Not one single reply so much as mentioned Office or Word or pointless redundant configuration options. And we're up to 32 posts.

huh.... well true.

but hope springs eternal.

there are moments i think @blakeyrat is right about how much we go off topic. and then i remember lurking in the old forums and how quickly the topics got off topic (just as fast, if not faster than here) and realize that that's just who we as a community are and i should accept it or i'll turn into a giant squid of anger.

and nobody wants me to be that.

;-)

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@mott555 said:

I think we need badges titled "Somebody's A Bit Rankled". Or something funnier if it means approximately the same thing.

I second the motion. Let's all vote by using various pictures of cute animals, just to hit rankle saturation.

• I don't have a problem with off-topic AS LONG AS THERE'S A TOPIC. What I object to is the constant meta-discussion.

Off-topic is like, "oh we were talking about motorcycles, now we're talking about politics." Every goddamned thread here is, "oh we were talking about motorcycles, then we had a 47 post discussion about who was or was not deserving of an idiot badge, then another 58 posts talking about some Discourse bug, then another 34 posts pretending to be a fox."

• Grade A Premium Asshole

Do you ever read WTF you type before you click reply?

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.