Filed under: #NotYourHashtag

• Honestly I could care less.
    Long as I can put effort into and extract goodness from, I don't care what 1-5% make.

The idea that money is limited, is ridiculous. Money is tied to productivity.

• @xaade said:

Honestly I could care less.
    Long as I can put effort into and extract goodness from, I don't care what 1-5% make.

The idea that money is limited, is ridiculous. Money is tied to productivity.

I see, so you're just complaining that you don't work hard enough, then?

• Do I get a prize now?
    Can I go to Davos now, or something?

• No, I'm satisfied with my income. Like I said, I don't have any debt (other than a mortgage), and that's what we focused our income on, killing debt and savings.

What I'm complaining about, is the line of people who would say that my financial responsibility is their entitlement, because I somehow fall into the rich category.

What these people fail to realize, is that by including the entire world in the calculations, the American poor's standard of living is in the 1-5%.

• @xaade said:

No, I'm satisfied with my income. Like I said, I don't have any debt (other than a mortgage), and that's what we focused our income on, killing debt and savings.

I think we're roughly in the same boat, financially.

@xaade said:

What I'm complaining about, is the line of people who would say that my financial responsibility is their entitlement, because I somehow fall into the rich category.

Is that people in general, or specific people, though? I mean, I pay taxes, because I like having my garbage collected and so on. If people think I should be paying more tax, they should be voting accordingly...

@xaade said:

What these people fail to realize, is that by including the entire world in the calculations, the American poor's standard of living is in the 1-5%.

That's a legitimate observation.

• @tar said:

they should be voting accordingly...

But the voting system is racist, because the polls don't come door to door.
    Neither does the McDonalds, but you know... that has more immediate benefits.

I find it funny that 60% of the population can't manage to commit tyranny of the majority and finish off the middle class.

Well, I'll have to hold on to that thought.... they did just pass the ACA.

• @xaade said:

I find it funny that 60% of the population can't manage to commit tyranny of the majority and finish off the middle class.

Ain't got no time for political activism if you're working two fulltime jobs to keep your family fed...

• ♿ (Parody)

@Buddy said:

- Barack ObamaValerie Jarrett

• :trollface:

FTFY

• ♿ (Parody)

@Maciejasjmj said:

Voltaire's "I hate your guts, but you have the right to talk"not an actual quote is still a thing, y'know.

Actually, it wasn't Voltaire, though he, like Marie and the cake, always gets the credit.

• ♿ (Parody)

@tar said:

Do I get a prize now?

+g

Well done!

• All I really took away from that 'test' is that I'm pretty optimistic...

• BINNED

@xaade said:

Oh god.... another idiot that believes that 100k is rich.

In Dallas we have what are called $30K millionaires. I don't think they really believe they're rich, though. it's more that they'd rather have a BMW than furniture.

• @antiquarian said:

they'd rather have a BMW than furniture.

That is a pretty tough call, though...
    Filed under: they see me rollin'

• FoxDev

@tar said:

That is a pretty tough call, though...

Furniture every time.

Now, if it was furniture or a Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag😖

• Bentley or get out.

• FoxDev

@tar said:

BentleyFootballist's penis extension or get out.

*gets out*

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@tar said:

Bentley

I think I'd rather have the BMW.

• @xaade said:

Oh god.... another idiot that believes that 100k is rich.Box house, non-luxury car, and crap for internet.The only thing my income gives me is not being in debt.

I didn't say I agree with the options. Just pointing out the gaps.

• @tar said:

Do I get a prize now?
    Can I go to Davos now, or something?

Sorry @boomzilla. You must give up your position as president of the WTDWTF chapter of The Patriarchy. @tar out-scored you.

• @loopback0 said:

I think I'd rather have the BMW.

In my capacity of Shitlord in Chief, I think a Bentley is more befitting of my status.

• Hmm, so in the interests of "science", I took the test again, with a slighty more pessimistic POV on a couple of questions (short-sighted-->blind, etc.), and this happened:

#What is this I don't even

• Not directed at you. Sorry, should have clarified.

• Ah, got it. Need to be more careful with those discoquotes. ;)

• Trying to avoid the temptation to say things 15 times because I still don't believe the listener understood me.

Communication is hard.

• @tar said:

What is this I don't even

Hm, I don't know... maybe... it's not a very accurate and scientifically based survey?

@xaade said:

Trying to avoid the temptation to say things 15 times because I still don't believe the listener understood me.

When talking to muggles, you may need to repeat yourself. The first few times are to get their attention, the next few are to overcome the shock that you're able to speak coherently. Indeed, I was always taught that when writing a paper (so, communicating with my peers), I should say what I'm going to say, say it, and then say what I've said.

I'd usually much rather write things exactly once except when I'm teaching someone something, but then I'll try to make the ways in which I say things vary. (For example, once with quotes from the standard/documentation, and once with short worked examples.)

• I'm about to tell you how I feel about that.

It's not exactly my problem where I am explaining something 15 different ways, but I suppose explaining what I feel doesn't change the problem.

That about sums up the complexity of my feelings.

@xaade said:

It's not exactly my problem where I am explaining something 15 different ways, but I suppose explaining what I feel doesn't change the problem.

Yeah, but you've got to keep on pushing that rock up that hill, even if it keeps falling down.

@xaade said:

She's Chinese and looked at the section labeled minority, and the only races there were Black and Hispanic checkboxes.

I suppose 13% black population is a minority, but 11% ASIAN TOTAL is not a minority.

That's how it works. Asian people work too hard or something to be considered a minority. More specifically, there's no need for SJWs to "help" them.

@antiquarian said:

In Dallas we have what are called $30K millionaires.

That's a new one to me.

@FrostCat said:

That's a new one to me.

The best term I've heard of was South African: the M'benzi, for their choice of vehicle. 😄

• @RaceProUK said:

Furniture every time.

Now, if it was furniture or a Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag😖

Time to brag a bit: my first car was a Jag. XJR (from 1995). One word: damn!

Actually, I have plenty of more superlatives for the supercharged beaut, but that pretty much sums it up.

@Mikael_Svahnberg said:

my first car was a Jaaaaaaaaaaaaag. XJR (from 1995)

FTFY.

• ♿ (Parody)

@abarker said:

Sorry @boomzilla. You must give up your position as president of the WTDWTF chapter of The Patriarchy. @tar out-scored you.

He did, but I think he's only recently married and without daughter.

• @boomzilla said:

He did, but I think he's only recently married and without daughter.

Good point. Now we have a conundrum. By score alone, the position just got to @tar. But he is otherwise unqualified. In which case the position devolves to you ...

I know, you should duel for it!

• I have no daughter (in any meaningful sense of the word), and I recently became Extremely Oppressed, so I may have to concede the position :<Eric Idle, wasn't it?>/

• @tar said:

and I recently became Extremely Oppressed, so I may have to concede the position :/

Doesn't that just make you eligible as fuck nowadays?

• @Maciejasjmj said:

I suppose it could, but I have no idea what "eligible as fuck" might entail, I'm afraid...

• ♿ (Parody)

@Maciejasjmj said:

I don't think you're understanding the point of the position:

@abarker said:

president of the WTDWTF chapter of The Patriarchy.

• Ah, well.

I'm merely "advantaged", so what do I know.

• I've heard they have "honorary white" status.

Then there was an article posted here about privilege.

Said I was privileged even though my parents were barely in middle class, just simply because I could see more white people on TV than blacks saw black people. Don't really know how that affected my attitude about life, but I suppose if we got a nice fluffy red couch, we could discuss it.

Now, when I considered that there's even less oriental people on TV, then I wonder how the above means anything at all.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

So, comparing orientals to black, and eliminating all "privileges" the only thing we have left is, single parent household.

Therefore, no matter how improbable, the fact that blacks have the most single parent households, means that their entire "victimhood" is caused by their parents.

@xaade said:

Therefore, no matter how improbable, the fact that blacks have the most single parent households, means that their entire "victimhood" is caused by their parents.

There's a whole bunch of things that correlate. More single parent households. More crime. More incarceration. More poverty. More violence. More state dependence. More state intervention. Fewer opportunities. Reduced ability to take up opportunities that exist. Higher charges for credit. More difficult financial situation. They're all stewed together, and very hard to truly separate. (It's a sort of “social syndrome” I suppose. I've only just thought of that concept though; it's not been road-tested. 😄)

Unfortunately, in the US they're also stewed with a substantial chunk of race politics, which boosts the toxicity of the whole thing. I suspect that race is the least important part of it, merely a historical happenstance, and that's in large part because other countries have the same sorts of problems but without the racial component. My guess is that when people in the US are going on about race, they're really going on about the same sorts of things that people in the UK are thinking about when they're going on about class.

It appears as if many people go to great lengths to hide from themselves the fact that they can sometimes be beastly and unfairly prejudiced towards others. I sometimes wonder how I delude myself. Does that bit of self-awareness make me a better person? I dunno…

• @dkf said:

It appears as if many people go to great lengths to hide from themselves the fact that they can sometimes be beastly and unfairly prejudiced towards others.

And the prejudice toward others is sometimes just disguised self-pity.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dkf said:

I suspect that race is the least important part of it, merely a historical happenstance, and that's in large part because other countries have the same sorts of problems but without the racial component.

Yes and no. There's more history WRT certain races, obviously. And there is a serious amount of cultural segregation based on race, so it's not simply happenstance any more.

@dkf said:

My guess is that when people in the US are going on about race, they're really going on about the same sorts of things that people in the UK are thinking about when they're going on about class.

It's probably a reasonable analog, but don't get too caught up in it.

@boomzilla said:

There's more history WRT certain races, obviously. And there is a serious amount of cultural segregation based on race, so it's not simply happenstance any more.

It's not a cause, it's a correlate. (If it were a cause, you'd predict similar things to occur elsewhere in the world. Not observed.) The whole race thing is going to be closely linked with culture, and culture most certainly can strongly act to reinforce problems. It's a lot of different things that all feed into one another, self-reinforcing the original cultural bias towards problems (itself originally happenstance).

For example, if men are more likely to join a gang for cultural reasons, they're then more likely to commit crimes, more likely to perpetrate violence, more likely to be arrested, and more likely to be incarcerated. That in turn makes it more likely that their families will end up broken, and with problematic finances, which leads to the children being more likely to be keen on taking part in the one organised thing around them which isn't immediately oppressive, which is all too often gang culture. And that closes the feedback loop. There are probably many others too; CBA to analyse them all.

With all those feedbacks, fixing things will be genuinely hard. Just changing some of it will probably not work. (Similar things can be seen with the effects of some kinds of drugs on cellular metabolism: quite often, cells just automatically compensate for what you've thrown at them by boosting other parts of their feedback loops.)

• ♿ (Parody)

@dkf said:

It's not a cause, it's a correlate. (If it were a cause, you'd predict similar things to occur elsewhere in the world. Not observed.)

You're making things too simple. Life isn't that simple. Race is definitely a cause. For a lot of people.

• I don't think it's a cause any more than it caused the race to adopt a certain culture. And that culture evolved over time into what we have now.

What causes it today is different however, because I've spent time in the innercity for various reasons, and I can tell you that any race caught up in it has the same culture and limitations.

The problem however, is that the issue is recursive and self-fulfilling. At this point it doesn't matter what opportunities are offered, none are taken.

They are at the survival level of the needs pyramid. And any opportunity that would be used to fulfill more than the survival level, won't be appreciated by the group at large.

• ♿ (Parody)

@xaade said:

I don't think it's a cause any more than it caused the race to adopt a certain culture. And that culture evolved over time into what we have now.

I'm more saying that it's a cause of its own as far as perpetuating it all.

• I will admit that I catch myself generating emotions that I know are not appropriate upon witnessing a person of a certain composure.

However, I know this is not racism, because upon seeing an identical genetic makeup from west africa generates a different response from me.

Why, because west africans compose themselves differently than "african-americans".

I think I'm more attitudist, and I have attitudism. However, I've been conditioned to expect that certain attitude from that certain image.

• @dkf said:

If it were a cause, you'd predict similar things to occur elsewhere in the world. Not observed.

It's more that these issues correlate with a particular sub-culture that happens to be composed of mostly one race, and that this race has a history in America that's led to a recursive self-damaging sub-culture. One that has been negatively reinforced to continue to behave this way, by way of entitlements.

We can't undo the past, but whenever we try to address the modern problem, we're told that because of the past we aren't allowed to solve the problem because the solution lacks an understanding of the past.

But this is the modern enlightenment mentality.

The problem with this mentality is that it always has to select a point in time with which to judge causation and determine the victimized culture.

However, if we were to continually move this point into the past, we'd find out that all cultures have practically equal share-time in being the victim to another. Therefore, the whole thought process does not produce anything useful.

Liberalism always tries to find someone to blame before solving a problem. 80/20 rule dictates that they will never solve a problem in a meaningful way.

Conservatism says, eff the blame, let's just fix it, and then proceeds to find a pragmatic solution. As soon as one of those solutions doesn't fulfill every target point, liberalism says it's unsuccessful and then proceeds to demand authority.

However, liberal implementations never have a clear and defined measure of success, and thus can always piggyback on the various variables that correlate success.