Encryption: Lets ban it, what can go wrong?

• The amount of hassle I had on leaving my old house and trying to put my ex on the phone bill was staggering.

• kills Dumbledore

I tried to transfer my BT account to my housemate when I moved out. 3 months later I got a call asking why I hadn't been paying my bill. That one was at least partly on me for not confirming it had been transferred properly

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@algorythmics said:

virgin media

I think we're going to be shortly ditching their TV offering for the XBMC/Kodi box we're starting to get used to.

We're currently paying over £100/mnth for Phone/Internet/TV - they're offering a very similar package to new customers for £49 after the initial sweetheart-deal period.

• My story:

we moved house, signed up in my name to get a new customer deal, my wife cancelled her account just as we moved to ensure we had minimal dropout (happy to pay the overlap to ensure no dropout), day before installation we get a call from someone saying that we can get the same introductory discount price on my wife's account without having to cancel and restart, saving us the extra month's cost. Foolishly we agreed.

Charged full price from day 1. No one told us but they swear they informed us that they couldn't do what they said. They couldn't/wouldn't do anything about it, we had to wait until our contract (which re-locked us in when we moved, how nice of them) expired paying full price before we could actually get what we wanted in the first place.

Have also had them threaten me with bailiffs within a month of signing up for a new contract for no reason (I was on direct debit etc). Had them tell me my contract still had 6 months before I could cancel when I had specifically paid extra to be able to cancel when I was trying to (they caved pretty fast about that one though) Had several months go by with connection speeds worse than dial-up while paying for their fastest package, but that was in Wales (Swansea) so what can we expect?

Had lines crossed at my current property and took 2 or 3 engineer visits before they actually fixed it. First guy just put signal boosters in and said it worked and fucked off, broke within an hour. Phone would ring and I would hear an old lady answer it when I answered it and then she would hang up cutting the line off for both of us, or I would pick up to hear the NHS direct helpline automated messages (pretty depressing to interrupt someone getting medical help...).

Basicaly when everything works VM are fine, but when shit goes wrong they can be pretty rubbish (but are not always, and better repair response times than other companies I must admit). When the choice is between Virgin Media, BT, and BT Reseller X, Virgin Media doesn't have a very high bar to overcome to be the best. Still, I can't complain about ISP monopolies while America has the whole comcast debacle going on.

@algorythmics said:

Had several months go by with connection speeds worse than dial-up while paying for their fastest package, but that was in Wales (Swansea) so what can we expect?

One of the call centres is in Swansea - should've turned up in person demanding a fix ;)

They're pretty typical experiences from when stuff goes wrong with Telcos. They're all as bad as each other - that's not justifications that VM aren't bad because they all are - more they all are so it's not surprising any more.

@algorythmics said:

Had several months go by with connection speeds worse than dial-up

paging @ben_lubar, @ben_lubar to the white courtesy phone. Someone needs an "I feel your pain".

• @FrostCat said:

I feel your pain

@algorythmics Yeah, that.

@ben_lubar said:

Yeah, that.

I think he bought it. You totally nailed "sincerity" there.

• @loopback0 said:

On Digital was terrible, and not satellite. It's terrestrial TV

Thanks for the correction. It was something like 13 years ago that we had it and I've tried to forget it.

• VM's support is a hell of a lot better than the others, if you phone in office hours.

If you phone outside of office hours you'll get the overseas callcentre who appear to have a script and nothing else.
    It doesn't matter whether those guys are any good or not because they haven't got the power to actually do anything whatsoever to help, and some (most?) of them are even happy to lie to you to get you off the phone.

-Don't tell me "It'll be fixed in two days" when you know damn well that capacity ticket is scheduled six months away - and isn't the problem I called about anyway.

Blew my top at the in-office-hours manager about that one, so he offered me six months half price and arranged the engineer's visit that should have happened in the first place.

Which was nice of him, but I'd still prefer not be lied to.

The others have no power to fix anything as they're almost all BT Wholesale resellers.
    "We'll call BT" is the usual response, hence going Virgin.

@lightsoff said:

Don't tell me "It'll be fixed in two days" when you know damn well that capacity ticket is scheduled six months away

Ah, so you got "Dave" from Manila.

@lightsoff said:

they haven't got the power to actually do anything whatsoever to help

Generally this.