Lessons in EOL

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

Things Blakeyrat makes aren't under the name "Blakeyrat". Generally speaking.

The obvious exception being Let's Play videos.

• I kind of meant software things, but yes.

@blakeyrat said:

I kind of meant software things, but yes.

Yes, I know, you meant the stuff you do at your day job(s), for example. It's hard to pass up a chance to be pendantic aroudn here.

• @Polygeekery said:

How many 8.1 Enterprise installs are not going to be on a freaking domain?

👋
    sigh. It's fun being a Windows developer in (basically) Apple shop... (still on w7, but that's because that's what came with the machine)

• Grade A Premium Asshole

That is Pro. Enterprise is a different animal. Only available to volume license or MSDN. It is fairly unlikely that someone will buy a machine, wipe it, and install Enterprise on it.

Pro machines not on a domain are pretty common. I get your point though.

• @Polygeekery said:

That is Pro. Enterprise is a different animal. Only available to volume license or MSDN. It is fairly unlikely that someone will buy a machine, wipe it, and install Enterprise on it.

I am on Enterprise. Pretty sure IT wiped it - but they may have just done an "upgrade" since all the Lenovo control panel things are still there... (All I know is when I started here, I had to special order the hardware I wanted, and then they did what they wanted to it, then I got it.)

Personally, I just keep whatever OS comes on the hardware. I'm past that point in life that I like changing the OS (free upgrade, sure. Pay for one? fuck off). And I'm quite happy with 8.1 on my Yogas.

But FUCK all the programs that claim DPI awareness in their manifest and LIE! At least I can extract the manifest, kill dpiAware and drop the new one in side-by-side (enable with HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide (DWORD)PreferExternalManifest=1) (Multi-monitor with a Yoga2Pro is ... interesting...)

• BINNED

@accalia said:

sure 2k was a server OS.

Pretty sure 2000 pro or NT4 workstation where not server releases. They where however business only not consumer like 9x or XP

• FoxDev

@Luhmann said:

They where however business only not consumer like 9x or XP

fair enough.

• BINNED

@loopback0 said:

To use OneDrive it irritatingly wants you to sign into the whole computer with the Microsoft account, rather than just OneDrive, so despite getting 1TB of OneDrive storage with Office365

While on 7 you can just do exactly that ... Especially on the business side I don't get this ... Because some one wants to use OneDrive for his personal files he has to link his enterprise AD account with his hotmail account. Sure if you know what you are doing you can at least get it to work with a different mail account ... But that is no obvious option.

• BINNED

@Jaloopa said:

Were older NT versions used as client OSes as well? 2000 was released a few months before ME, so the upgrade path presumably wasn't meant to be 98-2000-ME-XP

Yes NT had a workstation version.
    It's more like Consumer: 3.0 > 95 >98 > me> xp
    Business: NT > 2000 > xp

Xp merged both lines

Xp

• BINNED

@FrostCat said:

There was nothing wrong with Me that couldn't be cured by getting rid of the shovelware that came bundled with PCs.

It had a seriously ugly default theme ...

Yeah. It's irritating because it's the only thing that forces it.

• @flabdablet said:

I played with Vista long enough to recognize it as a half-baked source of trouble

I ran Vista for from 2007 on a older Core 2 Duo and other than the indexing making my hardrive a bit noisey it was fine.

This thread sounds like the usual moaning when stuff changes. XP wasn't that good when it was released, I was running 98SE/2000 SP3/Redhat 7.3 Triple boot until Service Pack 2 came out because XP had shit performance, none of my older games worked (not XP's fault but it still sucked).

8/8.1 is faster than 7, has better multiple monitor support, I haven't had a single crash and I only have to reboot for updates (even booting/rebooting is a lot faster), hibernation and suspend work correctly.

I don't even notice Windows updating, installing additional Windows components like IIS is painless and when I am installing older versions of things like SQL Server it actually tells me useful info about compatibility and where I can get the relevant updates.

Even in Win 7 (I use it at work) I get weird problems where the wireless won't work until a reboot, IIS just stops working or the display manager starts doing odd things because I haven't rebooted in a few days.

But all people give a crap about is the new start screen which tbh while it is the biggest visual change, the functionality of the start menu hasn't actually changed, especially if you've been using the newer start menus where it is easier just to use it as a search + launcher.

• FoxDev

@lucas said:

hibernation and suspend work correctly.

i know it's a flaky driver, but my laptop will about once a week decide to crash when coming out of hibernate.

of course it is an i7/SSD build so the whole boot process takes about 4 seconds and it's only a minor annoyance.

• I had the same with my old PC and Hibernate because the bios saw my mouse and decided to wake it up immediately after it went into hibernate ... and sleep just didn't work probably because of the iffy bios.

• @lucas said:

But all people give a crap about is the new start screen which tbh while it is the biggest visual change, the functionality of the start menu hasn't actually changed, especially if you've been using the newer start menus where it is easier just to use it as a search + launcher.

To be fair that thing is awful. There's no reason for it to cover your entire screen with gigantic tiles on a desktop. Luckily there's Classic Shell and other similar apps to put it back into a small menu in the corner where it belongs, leaving the rest of your screen unobstructed.

When you compare Win 7 to 8.1 and it's reliability is this on similar hardware with the same drivers?
    If not, it's not a straight comparison.
    I don't find Win 7 any worse or better than 8.1 when it comes to reliability. I only ever need to restart either for updates.

I'm glad Win 8.1 doesn't seem to do the annoying "I've applied an update so I'm restarting in 15 (or whatever it was) minutes and you can't stop me" shit that 8 did.

• The only problem I have is that the UI slows down when I have a game up.
    I don't quite understand it because I have enough RAM, and my CPU isn't fully used. So why is the display so laggy?

I've got some setting really wrong somewhere.

• @loopback0 said:

When you compare Win 7 to 8.1 and it's reliability is this on similar hardware with the same drivers?If not, it's not a straight comparison.

I've upgraded my machine as of June or July, before that I ran every version of Windows since XP 64bit -> 8.1 and 8.1 on the same Core 2 Duo machine.

Also the work machine I am running 7 on is a HP Z820 workstation. I would expect that to be more reliable than the rig I have built myself.

Honestly other than the odd time where I say "Where the fuck has My Computer gone", I find the UI in 8.1 mostly an improvement over 7.

@lucas said:

8/8.1 is faster than 7, has better multiple monitor support, I haven't had a single crash and I only have to reboot for updates (even booting/rebooting is a lot faster), hibernation and suspend work correctly.

8's got all kinds of improvements. If you are using a laptop you'll probably like shit like the timer coalescement as it saves power, just to give one example.

@accalia said:

it's only a minor annoyance.

Except for the part where that tanks your Performance and Reliability score. My desktop does the same thing, but I haven't figured out what the problem is, nor could Gigabyte when I sent it back.

• Any ideas?

@hungrier said:

To be fair that thing is awful. There's no reason for it to cover your entire screen with gigantic tiles on a desktop

Not really. The only real problem is the fact that the switch is animated so it takes a second or two. On a modern monitor the hitbox for Start Menu items is tiny, you can't change the order of menu items, if the thing you want requires scrolling there's all sorts of minor WTFs, and so on. Every one of those things is fixed on the start screen.

I hated it at first too, but then I found out about the down-swipe to get the full menu, and the fact that you can reorder the menu, and it became a lot better.

I only run games on 8.1 full screen so don't know how the OS UI runs. I expect it's fine, mind.

I didn't get on with it. Classic Start Menu saved Win 8(.1) for me.

• @FrostCat said:

On a modern monitor the hitbox for Start Menu items is tiny, you can't change the order of menu items, if the thing you want requires scrolling there's all sorts of minor WTFs, and so on. Every one of those things is fixed on the start screen.

The hitbox is way bigger than, for example, a dropdown menu. But anyway that's all moot because it only affects filthy casuals who use the mouse/touch screen to launch apps.

Basically what I wanted was a built-in Launchy, and Windows 7 Vista did that very nicely. They didn't exactly take it away in 8, but they put it behind an ugly full-screen grid of useless BS.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@loopback0 said:

I'm glad Win 8.1 doesn't seem to do the annoying "I've applied an update so I'm restarting in 15 (or whatever it was) minutes and you can't stop me" shit that 8 did.

It did that for me, until I turned it off. Even more WTF is that it also does it on Server2012R2 until you turn it off. I was on-site with a client and we had some LOB software to update, etc. I installed updates, expecting to reboot before I left. I was on an RDP session to the machine and it started its countdown. As that is something you only have to halt every few years, I could not remember the command line halt for it. I barely got it Googled in time to stop the inevitable catastrophe that would have occurred if it had rebooted before their shitty software was done installing and migrating the database...

It was a pretty new server, so we had not changed all of the settings yet to what we prefer, which is that they never automatically install updates.

• @xaade said:

The only problem I have is that the UI slows down when I have a game up.I don't quite understand it because I have enough RAM, and my CPU isn't fully used. So why is the display so laggy?

You don't have enough VRAM. But there shouldn't be any difference between performance here between 7 and 8-- if anything, 8 requires less work from the GPU as it's not putting shader effects on widgets. None I'm aware of at least.

@lucas said:

I find the UI in 8.1 mostly an improvement over 7.

I think a lot of it is just getting used to the change. I thought the minimal 8 chrome was weird until I'd used it for a while. Now 7 and XP system seem overly busy.

@loopback0 said:

I didn't get on with it. Classic Start Menu saved Win 8(.1) for me.

A lot of people say that. I'm just saying that most of them seem to simply reflexively refuse to use the new screen. If you spend enough time with it to get used to it--and as i said above, if you also discover the things about manipulating it that MS doesn't tell you about--it's pretty nice. The one change I'd like to see is to get rid of the animation as it switches to/from the desktop.

And as I mentioned earlier today, I now find that I dislike the Win 10 reincarnation of the start menu. I wish they would keep the screen as an option.

@hungrier said:

But anyway that's all moot because it only affects filthy casuals who use the mouse/touch screen to launch apps.

But if you're not using the menu to launch apps, that's most of the reason to use the menu at all! Once you pin your most-frequently-used stuff, you barely need to go to the menu/screen, so there's much less reason to bemoan the loss of the menu.

And in 8.1 you have the right-click popup which, for what it has, is better than the old menu!

@Polygeekery said:

It was a pretty new server, so we had not changed all of the settings yet to what we prefer, which is that they never automatically install updates.

I used to never automatically install updates either, but with 8 I decided to let it do it, and it turns out to work--at least for me--better, enough that I left it on. Now you get a one-day grace period for a reboot, which is normally plenty.

• As I've pointed out in the past, I think the biggest problem with Windows 8 is that Microsoft developed it assuming that people had learned/adopted the features of Windows 7 and weren't just using Windows 7 as a shinier Windows 95.

If you actually use Windows 7 the way it's intended to be used, the switch to 8 is a breeze.

I like the Win 10 version. If that's how it is when it's released then I'll probably keep it.

@Polygeekery said:

It did that for me, until I turned it off.

Quite. But I haven't had to turn it off with 8.1. It just doesn't seem to happen.

@loopback0 said:

I like the Win 10 version.

really? Including having all those apps on All Programs, so you have to scroll two full menu heights just to find your installed stuff? All of those should've been in Accessories or something. Not to mention having 2 copies of PC Settings, only differently named, was dumb.

I am aware that could be fixed for RTM, but it's annoying now.

At this point I've gotten used to all the extra space on the screen, though, and will hate to give it up.

• @loopback0 said:

Right - except that isn't the current version. Why would a software company say "Hey, move from this 14 year old OS to this 6 year old OS which is effectively 2 versions back from our current version".

It wouldn't be the first time Microsoft has suggested using an earlier version of one of its products.

@loopback0 said:

This is all a big non-issue. Company selling software wants people to not be using a 14 year old version they don't support and buy their current version. Shocker.

It's a fact of life that maintaining software costs money. It's difficult to tell customers that they need to pay up when their current version seems like it "works just fine." I appreciate both of those truths. What I don't like is the implication that today's computers are any more magical than the computers of 10 years ago, or that a touch screen is a selling point when a keyboard and mouse are available.

• FoxDev

@FrostCat said:

Except for the part where that tanks your Performance and Reliability score.

since i don't hibernate the desktop i have no idea if that effects it and the laptop is a playing device so no real lost work when it happens.

sure it's annoying and i could probably track down the driver and fix it but..... why?

@accalia said:

since i don't hibernate the desktop i have no idea if that effects it and the laptop is a playing device so no real lost work when it happens.

Any app crash or driver crash will affect it, even if you get something like the "the video driver froze and was restarted".

• FoxDev

-shrug- like i said it's a play laptop. so long as it doesn't crash while i'm actually using it (and it hasn't yet (knock on wood)) i don't care so much really.

:-P

@accalia said:

i don't care so much really.

:jawdrop:

THAT'S NOT RIGHT!

• FoxDev

Liara's alright. like i said as long as she doesn't crash when i'm using her i'm fine.

now if Tsukiyomi was doing that that i would care about.

Liara i ordered prebuilt, Tsukiyomi i built myself.

• @Groaner said:

or that a touch screen is a selling point when a keyboard and mouse are available.

Before I got a touch screen, I thought the same thing. I was very surprised to discover that it's very natural to tap the screen in combination with keyboard/mouse. I now find myself tapping on my non-touch screens (damn, wrong computer!).

I haven't gotten a touchscreen monitor, but I can see how that could be the case: a lot of times, you can't imagine how something new could be useful until you actually use it.

• @FrostCat said:

I haven't gotten a touchscreen monitor, but I can see how that could be the case: a lot of times, you can't imagine how something new could be useful until you actually use it.

When I start working consistently with my Yoga + external monitor, that will be really weird. 1 touch, 1 non-touch. Odds are very high I'll tap the non-touch screen more than once.

@dcon said:

Odds are very high I'll tap the non-touch screen more than once.

Bet on it. I find myself wanting to like comments on other forums or blogs all the time these days.

• FoxDev

@FrostCat said:

for a desktop not that useful, but for a laptop i find it essential.

come to the dark side.... we have cookies made of unicorn farts!

• Windows 8 is acceptable, thanks to Win+X and Win+Q. As long as I can keep using the desktop as god intended and I never have to worry about the Start Page or store apps, then I'm OK with it. (Don't even miss the Start Menu that much, tbh.)

Here's to Windows 10 being more 7 than 8.

Also, I don't seem to have any problem with Unity/Gnome 3 on Ubuntu 14.04 (although I do sometimes use KDE as a desktop instead)...

• Fake News

So how's the GNOME 3 alt-tab switcher doing, is it still switching by application instead of window?

• Oh is that what was upsetting people? I know you need to long Alt+Tab occasionally but I can't remember exactly when, and I'm not at home atm. Alt+` cycles through all the windows in a single app though, I'm pretty sure of that...