Sexy sexism talk

• @Buddy said:

Filed under: First they came for the floppy disks... And then they came for me!

πŸ‘

• @boomzilla said:

I know. But the result is that he started a fight. Maybe we could quibble on the use of "picked."

I fear to quibble with you... your quibbling has been honed to great heights by Blakey. ;)

I only know the tin vs aluminum foil story from a Parent Teacher conference... his teachers were laughing so hard they were practically in tears.

Maybe less of a fight, and more of "de-railing of the thread".

He's the only kid who would notice tin vs. aluminum and realize they're two different things.

• β™Ώ (Parody)

@ijij said:

He's the only kid who would notice tin vs. aluminum and realize they're two different things.

And decide that's somehow important. Yes, I have similar issues.

• @RaceProUK said:

I don't want to pry, and feel free not to answer, but that sounds a bit like how I used to be as a kid (I have mild Asperger's).

He lives in that neighborhood, or near it, maybe sub-letting a place?

That's to say, it's useful when trying to raise him, teach him, and lead him to pull out various lenses to figure him out... one is to view him as 2-4 years younger than he is, another is the Asperger's/Autism lens.

<soapbox attr="advice worth what you paid for it">
    I don't bother much with labeling it, since mostly we all have "these issues" on a sliding scale... for many values of "issues".
    </soapbox>

OTOH, go to a LEGO store some weekend (but don't be creepy πŸ‘Ώ) and observe. You can even tell when you're getting close to the store just by watching the number of "interesting" kids in the hallways.

...Adults, too. This guy checking out at the cashier next to me had this 3-ring binder open and I happened to see it was his personal-organizer - he had appointments blocked out for "Commuting to [work]" and "Drive Home".... I :facepalm: 'd out of recognition...I do that, too.

I'm just too self-conscious to carry around a big binder. Or too disorganized - I'd lose it. I have some "interesting" myself.

• FoxDev

@ijij said:

OTOH, go to a LEGO store some weekend

No. My budget would not survive such a trip, nor would next months budget.... nor the next... nay not even the next after that.

Have i mentioned before that i really love LEGO and my current collection weighs about 180 kilos?

I will imagine along side you though. is that close enough?

• FoxDev

@accalia said:

i really love LEGO and my current collection weighs about 180 kilos

That's my weight plus half again, then a bit more on top of that.

Still, not enough for one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HShqL3q8D7s

• @accalia said:

I will imagine along side you though. is that close enough?

Well, it is likely you have been to one, and can rely on your memory!

☁☁☁☁☁☁☁☁☁☁☁☁☁
    Or perhaps the experience was so transcendent β˜€ you don't even remember ☁ that other ☁people were there... ☁☁ ☁☁ ☁

• God that's ugly. Why didn't they build house brick sized blocks out of a single colour each, then put those together to make it look like a scaled up LEGO build?

• FoxDev

@RaceProUK said:

Still, not enough for one of these:

yep. @accalia wants!

• FoxDev

@Keith said:

Why didn't they build house brick sized blocks out of a single colour each, then put those together to make it look like a scaled up LEGO build?

...that's what they kinda did though.

• FoxDev

@ijij said:

Well, it is likely you have been to one, and can rely on your memory!

well...... there's that too.... :-P

• FoxDev

@RaceProUK said:

yeah, but i wonder what the R factor of those walls is.... I think i might have to move somewhere warmer to actually live in such a home.... (it's -12 centigrade here now.... and that number is supposed to drop later today.... DO NOT WANT!)

• FoxDev

@accalia said:

yeah, but i wonder what the R factor of those walls is.... I think i might have to move somewhere warmer to actually live in such a home.... (it's -12 centigrade here now.... and that number is supposed to drop later today.... DO NOT WANT!)

They made the bricks hollow (they had to fit round a load-bearing wood frame for Health And Fucking Safety reasons), so once the walls are in place, you could fill them with foam insulation. Though you may need to coat the walls with a sealant first; Lego isn't known for its ability to hold liquids...

• FoxDev

@RaceProUK said:

Lego isn't known for its ability to hold liquids...

yes. that was noted every time i attempted to build the titanic and recreate the sinking.

it always started flooding way too soon!

• @RaceProUK said:

Why did they make it striped?

It should totally have looked like this, including studs on top:

• FoxDev

@Keith said:

Why did they make it striped?

Ask James May 😜

• Can you just stop with your smear campaign against lizardpeople already? I RP a few, and they really don't appreciate it...

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@RaceProUK said:

They made the bricks hollow (they had to fit round a load-bearing wood frame for Health And Fucking Safety reasons), so once the walls are in place, you could fill them with foam insulation. Though you may need to coat the walls with a sealant first; Lego isn't known for its ability to hold liquids...

Should be OK; you've got lots of air in all the bricks and the air won't be able to move very far because it's partitioned up into lots of small voids. Since it's a double-layer building as you say, putting foam between the layers would improve it even more.

Keeping the rain out would be trickier. You'd need to lay those large flat pieces like tiles or slates, and perhaps use the boat β€œbricks” as ridge tiles…

• @Buddy said:

Bullshit, that's clearly misandry: firstly, do you know how demeaning it is to men for there to be a man whose job is basically just glorified secretary? Secondly, β€œbody” man? Men are only valued for their body now? Objectifying!

Men, you really need to wake up before the matriarchy figures out how to obsolete the entire gender.

Filed under: First they came for the floppy disks... And then they came for me!

Que the number of movies where a female protagonist treats generic men as furniture / targets.
    Kill Bill
    Tomb Raider
    Lucy
    and so on.

Now that I think about it.
    The examples where a man kills off a woman easily, treats them like objects, or furniture... it's always one or two women.
    The examples where women are treating men that way, it's hordes and hordes.

It's ironically become a badge of honor for a woman to go around defeating hordes of generic men.

What do men in action movies defeat? Hordes of men.

Could you imagine a movie where a man is defeating hordes of masked women?

Oh, don't need a movie for that one #MiddleEast

@xaade said:

Could you imagine a movie where a man is defeating hoards of masked women?

You probably meant "hordes" here. And in the rest of the post. Hoards of masked women is a different thing.

• β™Ώ (Parody)

@dkf said:

Keeping the rain out would be trickier.

Meh. Something Kragle-like should suffice.

• β™Ώ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

Hoards of masked women is a different thing.

:sniff: Some days I really miss @morbiuswilters.

@boomzilla said:

Some days I really miss @morbiuswilters.

Whatever happened to ol' Morbs?

• FoxDev

@dkf said:

Keeping the rain out would be trickier

Not really; it'd only seep through the outer layer. So long as you put in sufficient drainage at the bottoms of the walls, it should be fine, even without sealant.

• β™Ώ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

Whatever happened to ol' Morbs?

He comes and goes. I'm sure he'll be back when he gets bored of work or the local hooker pool thins out too much to hide his activity.

• Well, since we're talking about objectifying men/women. Hoards, in context, is possibly sensible.

But you're right, I meant the other.

• Actually -- real bricks aren't exactly waterproof, either -- masons installed them so they could sponge up water, then dry up when the rain quits. Nowadays, with the vapor, water, and air barriers roaming around modern construction (of which closed-cell spray foam is a prime example), you need to be a bit more careful with air-gapping so that your exterior veneer can drain.

I'd rather deal with wet Legos than wet drywall, though...

Filed under at least Legos aren't mold food, TRWTF is vinyl wallpaper

• @tarunik said:

wet drywall

MY HEAD ASPLODE!

• Hrm -- funny that you mention this -- because the "hero fights off generic horde" scene seems to be pretty gender-independent, its just that people comment on it more when it's a woman doing the butt-kicking.

Hordes are always going to be generic, btw -- it's the nature of the beast.

Filed under: here, have some [s]orcs[/s]evil snowman constructs to play with

• It goes back to a video that a feminist made in which she complained that women are always treated as generic throw-away or furniture objects.
    Like a man will show up at a party with two women and we never get their names.

However, the same happens with men, it's just, we don't care.

@tarunik said:

Hordes are always going to be generic, btw -- it's the nature of the beast.

Especially if you have to fight a large robot army with a large clone army.

@tarunik said:

Filed under: here, have some orcs to play with

Seriously. I was horde on WoW. I take offense to that.

• @xaade said:

Seriously. I was horde on WoW. I take offense to that.

FTFY above. (I just grabbed orcs because they were the first thing that came to mind -- I'm actually not a big fan of using them as generic enemies. Besides, illithids don't fit into that model, and kobolds are too cute.)

• But, don't lizardpeople resist poison and toxins.
    So +5 resist to toxic forum culture.

• *fails roll for recognizing whatever that is*

@xaade said:

But, don't lizardpeople resist poison and toxins.So +5 resist to toxic forum culture.

Kobolds are draconic in heritage, which is not to be confused with true lizardpeople!

(Of course, it's not very common to see a race of sapient reptiles detailed the way say the TES Argonians are...)

• @tarunik said:

fails roll for recognizing whatever that is

It's a snow monster created by a scared queen with freezing/snow powers. Its ice spikes get bigger any time it is provoked. The glint on the ground near its feet is from the queen's crown. Shortly after that screen cap, the snow monster puts on the crown, and its ice spikes shrink down.

Yes, I have daughters. Yes, I watched Frozen daily for about three weeks straight.

• @abarker said:

It's a snow monster created by a scared queen with freezing/snow powers. Its ice spikes get bigger any time it is provoked. The glint on the ground near its feet is from the queen's crown. Shortly after that screen cap, the snow monster puts on the crown, and its ice spikes shrink down.

At least it isn't an ice illithid backed up by a ten-foot mechano-mall-santa armed with rocket launchers...

Filed under: thank gosh the illithid had a WIS of 3

• @xaade said:

It goes back to a video that a feminist made in which she complained that women are always treated as generic throw-away or furniture objects.Like a man will show up at a party with two women and we never get their names.

However, the same happens with men, it's just, we don't care.

I probably haven't seen the video you're talking about, but the problem is usually that the women in the movie are objects, not that they don't have names, and that there are either no or few women with agency. Most people in movies, male or female, are nameless extras and that's not a problem.

@another_sam said:

Most people in movies, male or female, are nameless extras and that's not a problem.

Tsk. You just offended a bunch of feminists.

• @FrostCat said:

Tsk. You just offended a bunch of feministsnutjobs.

Feminist means desiring gender equality. Many other people call themselves feminists, or are called "feminists" with or without scare-quotes, usually intended in a derogatory fashion, when that's not really what they are.

@another_sam said:

Feminist means desiring gender equality. Many other people call themselves feminists, or are called "feminists" with or without scare-quotes, usually intended in a derogatory fashion, when that's not really what they are.

Yes, I know that. Of course, the feminazis just got offended again by you refusing to call them feminists.

But to bring back on topic again, your earlier post ("most characters are generic", if you'll permit the summarization) encapsulates why that woman's test is silly. You know the one I mean, whose name I CBA to look up, where the sub-pieces are "there has to be at least two women, that talk to each other, about something other than a man".

• @FrostCat said:

Yes, I know that. Of course, the feminazis just got offended again by you refusing to call them feminists.

That's okay, they can be offended. Nothing happens.

@FrostCat said:

You know the one I mean, whose name I CBA to look up, where the sub-pieces are "there has to be at least two women, that talk to each other, about something other than a man".

That test isn't referring to the generic characters if I'm remembering the video correctly.

@another_sam said:

That test isn't referring to the generic characters if I'm remembering the video correctly.

You are correct: it posits that there should be (at least) two mainish characters whose roles don't revolve around men.

I am generally opposed to such affirmative action. If a female character enhances the story, great! But don't put in a woman for the sake of having one. It is pretty easy to conceive of ways to game the test: create a movie that's full of men, and has one scene with two women in a coffee house complaining about all the damage done to the city and how it's going to be hell on their insurance rates, and don't specifically mention that the damage is because of the male characters who are fighting. Kind of like that shawarma scene at the end of Avengers II or whatever.

• @FrostCat said:

But to bring back on topic again, your earlier post ("most characters are generic", if you'll permit the summarization) encapsulates why that woman's test is silly

So if most characters are generic, why aren't more of them women?

@FrostCat said:

it posits that there should be (at least) two mainish characters
    Actually there's not a requirement for "mainish" in the test. Just any two women characters.

• @FrostCat said:

I am generally opposed to such affirmative action.

We know. πŸ˜„

I would also be opposed if I did not see it as necessary, if I did not see that gender equality is not yet balanced. And I don't support it as a hard-and-fast rule, especially not for art, but more as something that should be considered when making decisions because otherwise it's easy to go with the status quo and with the "default male" assumptions that persist.

So I wish I could say the same as you, but I don't think we are there yet.

@FrostCat said:

If a female character enhances the story, great! But don't put in a woman for the sake of having one.

I think the test is best viewed as an indicative score of the movie industry as a whole than a pass/fail for any specific movie. Movies are art and each will be made with a specific vision so it's not really fair to apply such a test individually. Overall, however, if most movies fail the test there's a big problem.

@EvanED said:

So if most characters are generic, why aren't more of them women?

Because who cares about generic characters? They could be martians.

@EvanED said:

Actually there's not a requirement for "mainish" in the test. Just any two women characters.

Well that makes my gamification idea above all the easier.

@another_sam said:

if I did not see that gender equality is not yet balanced.

Bah, artificial balance is stupid. Does everything in your life, including the population of every store you go to, match the gender and racial makeup of your country? No? RAGE. Hey, let's make sure half of all major league sports players are women!

• @FrostCat said:

Bah, artificial balance is stupid.

I always picture yall as 8 year olds at their first athletic event, complaining that some of the lanes get a head start.

• β™Ώ (Parody)

@another_sam said:

Feminist means desiring gender equality.

In your grandmother's day.

There are 3 types of modern feminist:

1. Feminists who are wrong
    2. Feminists who are crazy
    3. Feminists who are wrong and crazy

When in doubt, they're probably #3.

@FrostCat might know where I got that from.

• @another_sam said:

Most people in movies, male or female, are nameless extras and that's not a problem.

Indeed -- my late grandfather spoke of being an extra himself (in Dances with Wolves, as he was a Civil War re-enactor at the time).

@another_sam said:

I think the test is best viewed as an indicative score of the movie industry as a whole than a pass/fail for any specific movie. Movies are art and each will be made with a specific vision so it's not really fair to apply such a test individually. Overall, however, if most movies fail the test there's a big problem.

I think so indeed -- it's a test for a specific (mis-)portrayal of female characters more than it is a "you're doing it right" validation of any sort.