Sony hacking theory (now just Matrix and 1984 references (that was quick))

• Grade A Premium Asshole

Am I the only person that thinks the circumstances of the latest Sony hacking scandal are more than a bit fortuitous for them? Or that every time Sony is hacked the people that get the blame for it always say that they did not do it? North Korean leaders are crazier than shithouse rats, and would love to be able to say that they took down some great Western capitalist company<yes, I realize that Sony is Japanese, fuck off>, yet they have said repeatedly that they had nothing to do with it. When Anonymous got blamed for taking out the Playstation Network, they immediately said they were not behind it, despite having a track record of always owning up to it when they do something.

I am beginning to think that Sony just uses hackers as either a scapegoat or a publicity stunt whenever they see fit. I am probably wrong about this. Who knows? This is just the incoherent ramblings of a random internet asshole.

• @Intercourse said:

I am beginning to think that Sony just uses hackers as either a scapegoat or a publicity stunt whenever they see fit.

And bringing White House into it and threatening a nuke war just to promote a lousy movie? Not saying it's impossible, but quite... unlikely.

Come to think of it, who knows, maybe North Korea is in fact a somewhat isolated utopia and we're all being brainwashed by American propaganda to think it's a ridiculous dictatorship,

• Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

@Maciejasjmj said:

maybe North Korea is in fact a somewhat isolated utopia and we're all being brainwashed by American propaganda to think it's a ridiculous dictatorship,

@Maciejasjmj said:

And bringing White House into it and threatening a nuke war just to promote a lousy movie?

Meh, they probably did not think it would go this far? As I said, incoherent ramblings, etc. I am not saying I have it all figured out.

@ben_lubar said:

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

How true.

Interesting side note: A good friend owns a business that does penetration testing, white hat hacking, etc. They once were called to take a look at Sony's web services after their first hacking scandal (pre-Anonymous) and he has said that their security and code base are total rubbish.

• DPRK has some pretty impressive places, we should see if Obama folds would allow us to visit them!

• @Maciejasjmj said:

Come to think of it, who knows, maybe North Korea is in fact a somewhat isolated utopia and we're all being brainwashed by American propaganda to think it's a ridiculous dictatorship,

Alas, we'd have no way of knowing it. Book a trip there? They'll just take you to fake-NK with several hundred actors pretending to be poor oppressed citizens. Take a GPS with you? It has a backdoor and just tells you you're in the correct spot. Assuming the world maps we have are even real. How do we even know the people we talk online to are even real?

The good news is those kind of conspiracies would require ALL data we have (satellite images, history of the world, etc) to be modified, any slip-up would create inconsistencies. This is a huge amount of work. So by Occam's razor we can just assume what we know is most likely real.

• ♿ (Parody)

@anonymous234 said:

So by Occam's razor we can just assume what we know is most likely real.

Supreme Leader would like to have a word with you.

• Banned

@anonymous234 said:

The good news is those kind of conspiracies would require ALL data we have (satellite images, history of the world, etc) to be modified

@anonymous234 said:

So by Occam's razor we can just assume what we know is most likely real.

You took the blue pill, didn't you?

• @anonymous234 said:

Book a trip there? They'll just take you to fake-NK with several hundred actors pretending to be poor oppressed citizens.

Waaait... isn't that what US claims NK is doing, but the other way around - that wherever you're allowed to go, everything is faked out to look awesome and the citizens look shiny and happy?

Huh.

@anonymous234 said:

How do we even know the people we talk online to are even real?

I come from the assumption they're not.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Maciejasjmj said:

Waaait... isn't that what US claims NK is doing, but the other way around - that wherever you're allowed to go, everything is faked out to look awesome and the citizens look shiny and happy?

My sister in law did an exchange program with students from the Soviet Union back in the 80s. When the Sovs came here, one of the chaperons kept telling the kids that everything (malls, cars on the road, etc) was being faked for their benefit. Apparently one of the American kids spoke Russian and called the commie on her bullshit.

• BINNED

@anonymous234 said:

The good news is those kind of conspiracies would require ALL data we have (satellite images, history of the world, etc) to be modified, any slip-up would create inconsistencies. This is a huge amount of work.

All of that really isn't necessary. Once an idea/theory/fact gets to the point where it's "common knowledge", most people don't bother looking at the data any more, and the ones who do can be written off a crackpots.

@Maciejasjmj said:

This reminds me of my last trip to St. Petersburg. The city was preparing for its 150th anniversary by putting new paint jobs on buildings. I noticed pretty quickly that they were only repainting buildings that tourists would be likely to see, and only the sides of the buildings that were visible from the street.

• Fake News

@antiquarian said:

Once an idea/theory/fact gets to the point where it's "common knowledge", most people don't bother looking at the data any more, and the ones who do can be written off a crackpots.
    That shit doesn't happen in the free world, where everyone has a collij edjikashun, does it? 😀

• What if the conspiracy was that [i][u]there is no conspiracy?[/u][/i]

Like, woah, you guys, it's just rabbitholes inside rabbitholes, all the way down...

• ♿ (Parody)

@tar said:

What if the conspiracy was that there is no conspiracy?

That's really the scariest theory of them all.

• Yeah, we really need to get together and work on suppressing that one.

• BINNED

@lolwhat said:

That shit doesn't happen in the free world, where everyone has a collij edjikashun, does it? 😀

Definitely not, and there's absolutely no fuckwittery that is reserved for college students because it requires the capacity to grasp abstract concepts to fall for it. 😉