The "Everything Zenimax has Done Wrong with ESO" digest.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dkf said:

MMO designers spanking people without pants.

Not very Enlightened, are they?

• @tarunik said:

Ick! BAD MMO DESIGNER! BAD BAD BAD!

Yes, I literally had to quit because of playability reasons.

Of course, established players would say its a great game, and it is, if you don't get gated.

• @blakeyrat said:

So anyway! ESO, gives you a cuirass but no pants.

It's the no-pants MMO.

eh?

I'm beginning to think you're playing a different game than I am.

• Oh I can repro this one ON DEMAND

• Me too....

Ok, character sheet.....

Unequip bottom gear....

Look ma! no pants.

• kills Dumbledore

I had a mod for Morrowind called Better Bodies, or something like that, which made the body models anatomically correct. There was also a version for teenage boys that kept the boobs but censored out the knobs. This post reminded me of that mod

• @Jaloopa said:

body models anatomically correct

@Jaloopa said:

censored out the knobs

I actually prefer having underwear that replaces gear when you unequip.

For one, I don't want my wife thinking I'm playing a game for the nudity.
    But also, I just don't have any interest in seeing that all the time.
    The vast majority of the time I would see a naked body, is after I loot something I killed, which makes the whole thing morbid.

However, I like the modified bodies (the realistic ones) because Bethesda does a horrible job at building bodies. Especially animating them.

Holy crap, if people walked and fought like that, they'd have all kinds of back problems. Posture people.

I mean, have you seen fallout3/newvegas people in power suits. You'd think they were dead inside those things.

• Right; but I'm saying when you start the game at least as a male khajiit and skipping the intro, you are given no pants.

• You're a cat..... with fur. You have natural clothes. I don't get it.

But in all seriousness, I'm going to try that and see if I get the same thing. I'll bug it.

• FoxDev

@xaade said:

You're a cat..... with fur. You have natural clothes. I don't get it.

It's weird how there are those have no issue with nearly naked women, but panic at the sight of a nearly naked furry; after all, you see less on the furry because of all the fur 😆

• Yet have no problem watching naked werewolves fight vampires.

Because, those be monsters.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

That's probably the furry, not the naked, that they have issue with.

• FoxDev

@loopback0 said:

That's probably the furry, not the naked, that they have issue with.

Oh, I get that; I just don't see the difference myself.

But, then again, I wouldn't 😆

• Let's see, furry monster that wants to kill you and fights like a badass.

Or creepy guy wearing suit from children's cartoon, in an age where people do that specifically to get close to children.

• FoxDev

@xaade said:

Or creepy guy wearing suit from children's cartoon, in an age where people do that specifically to get close to children.

I do hope you're not implying that's the only reason to wear a fursuit…

• @RaceProUK said:

It's weird how there are those have no issue with nearly naked women, but panic at the sight of a nearly naked furry;

That's because the furry thing is one small step from bestiality.

• I'm on your side, but it helps to be able to see you like other people see you. Explains their reaction.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

That's because the furry thing is one small step from bestiality.

Hmm… a difficult point to argue with, that one. I can't deny the link, but equally, it's quite a leap to equate furry with bestiality; it's a misconception at best.
    @xaade said:
    I'm on your side

🕶

• @blakeyrat said:

bestiality.

If by bestiality you mean sex with another type of creature that's also sentient and can express it's thoughts in a complex manner similar to speech (I'm saying that in case it talks by beeps, or through mind-reading, which I guess would actually be mindwriting, but meh).

Then it's no more bestiality than Kirk and his sexual escapades.

• @xaade said:

You're a cat..... with fur. You have natural clothes. I don't get it.

Right because a thin coat of fur would somehow obscure the cock waggling about.

EDIT: not that ESO developers modeled the cock, just sayin'.

• That's what the barbarian underpants is for.

But you can have that if you really want.

See skyrim mods.

• @blakeyrat said:

Right because a thin coat of fur would somehow obscure the cock waggling about.

• My satire alter triggered, and the space between the feat, looked like a cock.

• Email from Zenimax:

You are eligible for The Elder Scrolls® Online: Tamriel Unlimited™ for Console with account copy. You will find it on sale for pre-purchase for $20.00 at account.elderscrollsonline.com/store when logged in using your eligible The Elder Scrolls Online account on April 9, 2015.

So since I bought the PC copy of ESO, I can play it on consoles for only $20! Even though it's the same game. The game I already own. I have to pay again.

Also note: you still can't transfer your account to Steam, another PC platform, at all.

Oh but wait:

This special offer to pre-purchase a digital copy of an Xbox One and/or PlayStation 4 version of the game, will only be available on the store for 30 (thirty) days. After the 30-day period, you will no longer be able to purchase this special digital copy of The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited for console or copy your PC/Mac account to console in any other way.

It's TIME-LIMITED! If you miss this 30-day window to transfer your account, not only do you have to pay full price for the console version, but it's literally impossible to ever transfer your account after that point. ... wut?

IT'S THE SAME GAME! How does any of this make sense?

I clicked the link for more information, but of course the server it links to is down. Because when you send a promotional email, it's important that the links in it don't fucking work at all.

Revive this topic?

The last reply to this topic is now over 16 days old. Your reply will bump the topic to the top of its list and notify anyone previously involved in the conversation.

Are you sure you want to continue this old conversation?

Yes, also fuck off.

• @blakeyrat said:

I clicked the link for more information, but of course the server it links to is down. Because when you send a promotional email, it's important that the links in it don't fucking work at all.

Like it would be hard at all to provide a forwarding server that's always up. Then if the real server is down, you just load a static page with additional information and a reason why the service isn't available.

I mean, we figured out how to do that in the real world very easy.

It's called a building with windows, with a closed sign, hours of operation, and menu if a restaurant.

@blakeyrat said:

you still can't transfer your account to Steam,

I posted that already.

@blakeyrat said:

I can play it on consoles for only $20

I would like to know what demographic is wanting this. Because if you bought it on PC waiting for this opportunity.... I know an African prince.

@blakeyrat said:

It's TIME-LIMITED! If you miss this 30-day window to transfer your account

And we still don't have information on whether mods will work. I can't play the game without mods that have introduced basic functionality like a hotkey bar for potions, a minimap, a quest tracker that shows more than one quest, basic information about items like whether I KNOW THE FUCKING TRAIT YET OR NOT.

And I'm not mad at leaving this to mods.... I'm not....

I'm mad that they keep promising that one day in the fucking golden sky of tomorrow mods will work on console.

@blakeyrat said:

I have to pay again.

Going to disagree here.

To maintain the other server. No qualms here. I don't mind. You could make the same argument for any other game that can be played on more than one platform. About the only service that's offering multiple platform gamplay is Playstation with their mobile console, and mobile games like on Google Play, which are account based, not device based.

You need to pay them for their work to port it. Honestly, they didn't use Unity. And does Unity even offer a Playstation port option on compile.... didn't think so.

• The short version of all this.

ESO is a promising game with opportunities for enhancement into an experience that can rival any other MMO.

But they have the crappiest upper management ever.

EVERY :WTF: from them has been driven by top tier decisions. Like not offering a Steam account xfer, locking down offers to small time windows (thinking that exclusive works for basic functionality instead of just convenience or cosmetic items).

I mean, is there some vigorous account copy process? Well then they coded it wrong.

• @xaade said:

Going to disagree here.

Ok I disagree with your disagreement.

@xaade said:

To maintain the other server.

There is no "the other server". Both Xbox One and PS4 allow companies to "bring their own server" now. (Xbox 360 did not, but Xbox One does.) So the server cost should be normal scaling of their current PC servers, assume they didn't write the back-end software like idiots.

@xaade said:

You need to pay them for their work to port it.

They've been planning the console version since day 1, so, again, unless they did software development like morons, the "porting" costs should already be figured-in to their finances.

• @blakeyrat said:

So the server cost should be normal scaling of their current PC servers

But they aren't destroying your original account, they are adding a new console account. They aren't even transferring your characters, they are copying your characters.

So it's not a 1 for 1.

@blakeyrat said:

They've been planning the console version since day 1

And here's the problem with your argument.

There is no more monthly fee to play.
    Therefore, the monthly fee is going toward bonuses on the account, not the account itself.

Therefore the cost of the console accounts has to come from the sale of the game, and it can be subsidized with the people who do pay subscriptions and people that "purchase crowns".

This is why I hate F2P/B2P models. It means you no longer are paying for the work towards the game, but you're paying for everything. So of course the business model becomes "nickel and dime them for everything".

At this point, we have to blame F2P/B2P culture, and not just Zenimax.

Want to blame them for switching to this model, go right ahead. That's fine.

Then your argument becomes my argument, that it's just bad management decisions. It's no longer a costing decision, but a pure business decision.

The costing decision becomes justified, but not the management style.

And besides, who doesn't fluff difficulty when they are trying to sell a cost adjustment?

• @xaade said:

But they aren't destroying your original account, they are adding a new console account. They aren't even transferring your characters, they are copying your characters.

The email says "transfer", as in "move", as in, "if you do this you can only play on Xbox One from now on."

That might just be bad copy, but I wouldn't put it past them. Since the "more info" link is busted, I have no idea.

@xaade said:

And here's the problem with your argument.

Maybe, but I played those fuckers like $60 and I don't think I should be treated like trash as a result.

If I had NOT paid them $60 directly and instead have waited for the Steam edition, then they'd have made less money but I would have had a better product as a result. (The reason I didn't? They kept the Steam copy a secret until long after the standalone launch. Probably specifically so Newell wouldn't grab his percentage from the initial purchases.)

Grump grump grump.

@blakeyrat said:

How does any of this make sense?

They want more blakeydollars from you.

@xaade said:

My satire alter triggered, and the space between the feat, looked like a cock.

That sentence is pure gibberish until one realizes you spelled "feet" wrong.

@blakeyrat said:

IT'S THE SAME GAME! How does any of this make sense?

Is it? Can people on a console play in a group with people on a different console or a PC?

I moved 14 Morrowind related posts to a new topic.

Your next propylon chamber is in Kogoruhn

• @xaade said:

ESO is a promising game with opportunities for enhancement into an experience that can rival any other MMO.

Perhaps -- but they'd need to make a philosophical shift to make any money off of me. Hint: I seriously doubt that the lands of the Elder Scrolls have seen the full force and fury of the SA Goons. ;)

More seriously, though: they'd have to top the thrill ride that is EVE PvP, and that's not likely to happen soon with the way they're going.

@xaade said:

But they have the crappiest upper management ever.

QFT! Do they even care about where the genre is going nowadays? (Hint: it certainly isn't snapping up themepark rides in droves!)

@dstopia said:

TRWTF is playing ESO in the first place. Notwithstanding the fact that it's not even a Bethesda joint, and the fact that it's a cash grab, it's still playing a subscription MMO in a post WOW world every single big profile MMO that has come out has failed spectacularly to deliver a good game.

This is because the genre is shifting -- WoW established itself as the dominant vision of the letters "MMO" to the point where nobody else was willing to invest in a new game that didn't fit that model; the result was a saturation of WoW-clones that ruined the genre for a large proportion of the playerbase, and triggered the shift towards sandboxy MMOs we see today, led by a mix of resurging stalwarts (EVE Online) and new players (EQ:Next).

The main problem with sandbox games is that there's also a significant chunk of the MMO playerbase who grew up coddled in the post-WoW era, expecting the term "MMO" to be synonymous with "themepark ride". These folks simply do not accept the notion that the promise of the genre lies not in a many-party single-player RPG, but in a game where player conflict writes stories and drives gameplay. They also fail to accept the ancillary ideas that are needed to go with that, such as losing their stuff every so often being a normal and healthy part of the game, and PvP being something that just is, instead of being an "OMG YOU'RE TARGETING AND GRIEFING ME" act.

I just hope that we get a good game out of something like EQ:Next or perhaps Crowfall...because right now, sandbox gamers like me have pretty slim pickings to choose from.

@xaade said:

Well, the alternative is a very quickly put together craptacular F2P game, where everyone eventually complains about Pay 2 Win. Because to be honest, anything that offers an advantage is going to be P2W even if it's just an crafter's exp bonus potion.

EVE still gets along just fine on a subscription model, and there's also the GW1 "simply sell the game" model.

• Hey guys another post from Tarunik:

EVE EVE EVE EVE EVE EVE EVE EVE IS PERFECT BOW BEFORE EVE ANYTHING THAT ISN'T EVE SUCKS EVE EVE EVE EVE EVE EVEV EEV EVEVESFGsdfh

Not only are assholes attracted to the asshole-play in EVE, but people who are EVE assholes don't understand why other people aren't. Is basically the lesson here.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

Not only are assholes attracted to the asshole-play in EVE, but people who are EVE assholes don't understand why other people aren't. Is basically the lesson here.

I'm sure you'll take this as confirmation, but everything he's said about EVE makes it sound more interesting than all the other stuff you guys talk about around here.

• The difference is: I've played EVE, so I know it's lying.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

The difference is: I've played EVE, so I know it's lying.

But you think everything is lying.

• You've played it at the level a typical game reviewer does when reviewing a single-player game, and solo at that.

Soloing EVE in the "I won't interact with anybody" sense of the word is like trying to solo Facebook -- it won't ever work.

OTOH: I've played for 4-5 years, and flown alongside a corporation for just about all of that time. Sure, there are dull patches and blue (well, purple) balls at times, but it's hard to beat reading about accounts of something and getting to say "I was part of that", or the rush of EVE PvP for that matter -- because it's not like an arena, where all that's at stake are a few piddly tokens you can buy things with, or a raid, where you can sit there and bang on it over and over until you get the results you want. It's an unscripted experience, with one shot to get it right, and consequences that can reach far beyond the scene.

• Blah blah blah, it all equates to, "I like playing really fucking boring games full of assholes and I'm pretty much incapable of talking about anything else ever."

• My point is that you gave up on EVE before it ever got a chance to show what it was capable of.

Also: you call the EVE community full of assholes? I shall condemn you to play DOTA2 for the rest of your life, and suck at it.

• @blakeyrat said:

I'm pretty much incapable of talking about anything else ever."

Also, the reason why I don't talk about some of the other things I could talk about is because that I suspect that me trying to rope you into playtesting my experimental D&D 3.5e dungeon would end with ratgut all over the walls of the place. ;)

• ♿ (Parody)

@tarunik said:

Also: you call the EVE community full of assholes? I shall condemn you to play DOTA2troll TDWTF for the rest of your life, and suck at it.

FTFY

• Haha, yes. Anyone want to start a fund to send Blakey over to SA for trolling lessons?

• Java Dev

I've heard that's a game that takes weeks of study to get just bad at. And you get insulted by teammates every step of the way.

• ♿ (Parody)

@tarunik said:

SA

I have no idea what that is, but I'm sure I don't want to fund anything he does.

• @boomzilla said:

I have no idea what that is, but I'm sure I don't want to fund anything he does.

SA = SomethingAwful.com, the ancestral home of the Goons.

@blakeyrat said:

EVE IS PERFECT BOW BEFORE EVE ANYTHING THAT ISN'T EVE

Have you thought about getting an eye exam? Your reading comprehension on that post is bad even for you.

@boomzilla said:

FTFY

Thanks a lot, you insensitive clod! What did we ever do to you?

• @tarunik said:

trying to solo Facebook

That might actually be more enjoyable than playing Facebook straight.