The "Everything Zenimax has Done Wrong with ESO" digest.

• @PleegWat said:

I've heard that's a game that takes weeks of study to get just bad at. And you get insulted by teammates every step of the way.

That's every MMO with a large enough playerbase.

• @xaade said:

That might actually be more enjoyable than playing Facebook straight.

Did Bioware develop Facebook?
    @xaade said:

That's every MMO with a large enough playerbase.

Hence why I never got the appeal of the genre. "You know how people are terrible and you play games to escape from them for a while? Well we combined the two things together, making both far worse!"

• FoxDev

@xaade said:

playing Facebook straight.

:giggity:?

Filed under: late to the party

• @blakeyrat

Zenimax strikes again.

ESO+ subscription promised all future DLC content will be available on the subscription as long as you stay subscribed.

They just released DLC that you have to pay for even if you have the subscription.

Many people are pissed.

• They changed the ESO+ description to say that you'll get all DLC available in the crown store for free.

So, people won't have a legal argument right now, but they will if Zenimax releases DLC that's only available if you have the expansion and put that into the crown store.

So, either they won't be able to charge for DLC that's only available with Morrowind, eventually make Morrowind available in the crown store and the people that purchased Morrowind are just getting early access, or they'll stop releasing DLC altogether. Otherwise, they could be hit with a class action.

• @xaade I was reserving my pissy-ness until I actually saw the amount of new content in Morrowind. It's no bigger than Orsinium.

I do have a theory though. They wrote themselves into a corner. People who own Morrowind can create a Warden character, nobody else can. The problem is the new player who buys ESO+ and makes a Warden, then lets ESO+ lapse. Now Zenimax has this issue: do you FORCE that player to make a new character if they want to keep playing, or do you break your own (dumb) rules and allow them to keep playing the Warden?

In their mind (not necessarily a rational one), if they let anybody create a Warden with a cheap 1-month ESO+ subscription, they've "given away" a lot of the "value" they feel Morrowind introduces. That's why they made Morrowind a permanent thing. (Also perhaps because a ton of people just finished paying for a similar expansion in GW2 and their eyeballs were replaced with dollar signs with a comical cha-ching sound effect.)

Blowing smoke up our ass and saying "Morrowind isn't a DLC, it's an expansion" would MAYBE have worked, if it were larger or more expansive than past DLCs. It's not. Orsinium (another DLC) has just as much content. Possibly more. That's why people are pissed: not just because Morrowind isn't a "DLC" according to Zenimax, but that it's so small.

• @blakeyrat said in The "Everything Zenimax has Done Wrong with ESO" digest.:

@xaade I was reserving my pissy-ness until I actually saw the amount of new content in Morrowind. It's no bigger than Orsinium.

Me too

Making a class into a expansion purchase requirement has always been a sting for me. Why would you? It gives someone a reason to replay the whole game, and gives the company more opportunities to make money.

They should have just made the class free for everyone, and then make Morrowind into another crown store DLC.

Also perhaps because a ton of people just finished paying for a similar expansion in GW2 and their eyeballs were replaced with dollar signs with a comical cha-ching sound effect.

And we're just gearing up for the next round of expansion in GW2 for actual monies, since the 'expansion content' that came after HoT release (i.e. Living World season 3, aka HoT part II) is almost over. I guess we can expect to see another expansion in maybe October followed by another round of content after it as season 4.

I love how you can unlock season 3 but need to own HoT to play it, so that you can unlock it for free and then only play it once you've bought the game, an interesting mechanic - and one that seems to answer how Zenimax should handle some of the points mentioned up thread.

• @Arantor said in The "Everything Zenimax has Done Wrong with ESO" digest.:

I love how you can unlock season 3 but need to own HoT to play it, so that you can unlock it for free and then only play it once you've bought the game, an interesting mechanic - and one that seems to answer how Zenimax should handle some of the points mentioned up thread.

To expand on this for non-GW2 players:

When you log into a character, you are immediately given permanent access to the latest episode of Living World. At the time of this post, that's the Flashpoint episode with the Draconis Mons map. This is also how it worked for Season 2, but there wasn't a free version of the game at that point. Season 1 did not have a replayable version - it changed maps in the open world as it progressed.

If you don't own an episode of Living World, you can buy it for (season 2)($2.00, €2.00, or £1.70) (season 3)($2.50, €2.50, or £2.125).

However, you can't play the Living World content unless you own the base game (season 2, $50, no longer purchasable separately) or Heart of Thorns (season 3, $30, includes the base game). You can still unlock the latest episode even if you can't play it, or not have an episode unlocked even though you would be able to play it.

• @Arantor said in The "Everything Zenimax has Done Wrong with ESO" digest.:

so that you can unlock it for free and then only play it once you've bought the game

That would be the way to go, but it would still break the spirit of their promise in ESO+ subscription description. That all DLC in crown store would be available to a subscriber.

IMO, they fucked up big time. While it may fly right now, they've put themselves in a box that's going to restrict how they can develop the game further.

• @xaade The stuff they announced in E3 is all in the "DLC" bucket. At least there's that.

They also gave ESO+ subscribers double bank space, I assume as some kind of apology, except ESO+ subscribers already have a materials bank and thus don't need double bank space, that's stupid. But whatever, Zenimax.

How many decades do you think it'll be before we get a shortcut key for "mark as junk" BTW? The most obvious UI improvement in history, and we've gone 3 years without it, and the UI mod API doesn't have enough hooks to add it. What a shit.

How many decades do you think it'll be before we get a shortcut key for "mark as junk" BTW? The most obvious UI improvement in history, and we've gone 3 years without it, and the UI mod API doesn't have enough hooks to add it. What a shit.

At least there are mods that automatically mark [tier] and below as junk.

@blakeyrat said in The "Everything Zenimax has Done Wrong with ESO" digest.:

The stuff they announced in E3 is all in the "DLC" bucket. At least there's that.

I gave up subbing when they starting putting temp stuff in the store, then they put lockboxes, and then I just knew something like this was next.

They must want subbing to die.

Which is fine, GW does fine with a B2P model, but Zenimax seems like they don't know how to manage MMOs.

• @blakeyrat

Yes it does.

BTW I'm @Sir_Twist over in ESO (PC/NA), say hi next time you're on.

TIL: Apparently I have 2 accounts here.

• @SirTwist Well, that's a third of what I need, but it's better than the alternative one I found that tried to "guess" what you considered junk and ended up trashing valuable items.

EDIT: No I'm wrong, it does show up in the UI which is great because my memory is shit. That's like 90% of what I need. Ok cool, thanks for the tip.

• @blakeyrat
    If you haven't found it yet, you can bind a key in Controls/Addon Keybinds/User Interface Shortcuts/Junkee Returns. Warning: if you bind a key to Destroy, there is no confirmation. I bound J to Junk, which is also used to open the Journal, and the only drawback is that if a UI window is open, I have to hit escape before hitting J to open the Journal.