Closed Poll: New Badge Request

• FoxDev

@loopback0 said:

Isn't that the dickweedery badge?

not really. the dickweedery is about being pedantic, and being an asshole about it. there isn't a badge for being a non pedantic asshole.

@loopback0 said:

This is the scenario which probably requires actual moderation.

hmm... possibly.

The idea I had for this series of badges would be more to be used for community moderation. A way for the community to decide that they don't like what someone is doing and both bringing it to the attention of the mods and have that behavior recognized.

The overall idea being that @PJH and @boomzilla are excellent moderation, and quite possibly all the moderation we need most of the time, but maybe not all the time, and the flagging system would be a natural way for people to bring things to the attention of the mods and the badges a way for the mods to say "hey! the community doesn't like that. it's not actually bad enough that i'm going to take administrative action but you might want to cut that out because the community doesn't like that"

a gentler moderation if you will.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@accalia said:

a gentler moderation if you will.

It starts out as gentle moderation and ends up as civiliced communication! We can't risk that!

Let's make more useless badges before we actually try to moderate through them.
    OR how about a badge for logging in after not being logged in for X days (starts at 1 day, ends at 150 days and you don't get lower tier badges.) That would give people who left the forum a reason to come back for one login! Also it would be the most useless badge I can think of!

Filed Under: There is no "We can't risk that!" quote in my head... even though the line could probably sound pretty epic

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@accalia said:

A way for the community to decide that they don't like what someone is doing and both bringing it to the attention of the mods and have that behavior recognized.

The overall idea being that @PJH and @boomzilla are excellent moderation, and quite possibly all the moderation we need most of the time, but maybe not all the time, and the flagging system would be a natural way for people to bring things to the attention of the mods and the badges a way for the mods to say "hey! the community doesn't like that. it's not actually bad enough that i'm going to take administrative action but you might want to cut that out because the community doesn't like that"

IMO that's mostly the same as a user getting several flags for being a jerk, followed by a polite (or impolite) message from the mods saying "stop that". Except with a badge they're either marked permanently as being an asshole, which if they really do carry on they'll do themselves anyway, or there needs to be a process for the community some how getting it removed.
    The proper asshole type will just be encouraged to carry on being one because they've got a badge and they need to live up to it, or it'll turn into some perverse gamification, and the eventual result would be the same. Banhammer.

The idea behind it is sound but in practice not so much.

We need more useless/fun badges, rather than using them as a form of moderation.

• kills Dumbledore

@accalia said:

The idea I had for this series of badges would be more to be used for community moderation. A way for the community to decide that they don't like what someone is doing and both bringing it to the attention of the mods and have that behavior recognized.

Isn't that what flags are for (when you're not Doing It Wrong of course)

• ♿ (Parody)

@loopback0 said:

We need more useless/fun badges, rather than using them as a form of moderation.

+ᘐ

@loopback0 said:

IMO that's mostly the same as a user getting several flags for being a jerk, followed by a polite (or impolite) message from the mods saying "stop that".

Yes, this seems like a good use of flags. Of course, you could also / additionally contact the person by PM directly.

• @accalia said:

I'll make no secret of the fact that i believe this community would be improved for the better by a significant amount if the individuals i have in mind as potential recipients of the asbestos cork award were no longer to be part of the community.

Oh go plug that cork up yours. Because as far as I can see, you're the one who's flaming, trying to pull off the passive-aggressive "either they leave or I'm leaving!" stunt.

Look, I get that you have some vision of this forum - I don't know if it's some sort of MLP-style land where everybody has fun and laughs at cute pictures and nobody ever disagrees with anyone or says anything mean or snarky, or what the hell else do you want from us - but stop trying to play boss and brand people you don't like and who you don't think fit in.

Because I, personally, don't care if you put a mark on my forehead, paint me as a bully who stuffs kids into lockers, or even outright call for banning me. But I don't agree with what you're trying to do, and I'm going to argue against it as long as people here let me.

And to be honest, I don't think you care for quality of discussion here. I think you care for your own agenda.

• FoxDev

@Maciejasjmj said:

Oh go plug that cork up yours. Because as far as I can see, you're the one who's flaming, trying to pull off the passive-aggressive "either they leave or I'm leaving!" stunt.

did i say i was leaving here? no. i said i would leave myself before asking (or telling) anyone else to leave. that's rather different.

in fact i explain my position there more fully not one paragraph later from the text you quoted. If the individuals that i'd be happy if they left the community want to be here than I have no leg to stand on saying that they shouldn't be here. that decision is up to them, or the mods should they step over that line in the sand.

@Maciejasjmj said:

some sort of MLP-style land where everybody has fun and laughs at cute pictures and nobody ever disagrees with anyone or says anything mean or snarky

that sounds like the most boring place ever. everyone agreeing on everything? no thank you!

@Maciejasjmj said:

but stop trying to play boss and brand people you don't like and who you don't think fit in.

i think the voting and discussion has shown that we don't want the badges i proposed. Unless all those who voted BADGER_NOT_FOUND did so because it was called BADGER NOT FOUND.

@Maciejasjmj said:

But I don't agree with what you're trying to do, and I'm going to argue against it as long as people here let me.

Thanks for your opinion. it is valued. As i said before I appear to have been voted down on this one, so that's the matter settled.

@Maciejasjmj said:

And to be honest, I don't think you care for quality of discussion here. I think you care for your own agenda.

perhaps. I'd say rather that I care about the community and do not like it when small parts of the community seem to like to spew venom and vitriol at all and sundry; to the point that they appear to mostly end up in echo chambers as the other community members stop participating in the threads they show up in and spray their venom around.

But, I'm just one fox, so i don't and shouldn't have the power to impose my will by fiat. all i can do, and all i will do, is try and have civil discussion about various topics. Here i had an idea that i thought might improve the community, and the community said "no thanks". and you know what, I'm okay with that because the community is more important than any one individual of the community.

now... how does one close a poll again? without locking the thread i mean. I have my answer so no real reason to leave the poll open, right?

• FoxDev

@accalia said:

now... how does one close a poll again?

I thought it might be as easy as changing the title to 'Closed Poll: yadda yadda', but that doesn't seem to have done it...

https://meta.discourse.org/t/how-to-use-the-poll-plugin/13541/9

So it seems my guess was right, it's just not working.

• I thought there was supposed to be a "Close Poll" button in the OP. Either I'm crazy or the button Disco-disappeared.

• FoxDev

@mott555 said:

I thought there was supposed to be a "Close Poll" button in the OP.

that's what i remember. if you're going crazy that's two of us.

or one of us, and another of us going crazier....

• @accalia said:

perhaps. I'd say rather that I care about the community and do not like it when small parts of the community seem to like to spew venom and vitriol at all and sundry, [here's the comma, take a break, it's a looong sentence] to the point that they appear to mostly end up in echo chambers as the other community members stop participating in the threads they show up in and spray their venom around.

That (the venom thing) is what the community is!

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

That (the venom thing) is what the community is!

the most vocal parts of it anyway. From what i've seen those parts are not in the majority.

i could be wrong of course, that is only my opinion.

EDIT: i also took your editing advice. I hope a semicolon is sufficient pause.

• There used to be that button, but it went away awhile ago.

I'm not surprised that they broke their own plugin.

• @accalia said:

did i say i was leaving here? no. i said i would leave myself before asking (or telling) anyone else to leave. that's rather different.

No, you didn't say you were leaving, you threatened to leave. A moot threat to me, but I guess it could sway some people against some people.

@accalia said:

If the individuals that i'd be happy if they left the community want to be here than I have no leg to stand on saying that they shouldn't be here. that decision is up to them, or the mods should they step over that line in the sand.

But you're the one who already has a list of people who they want to mark as evil. Stop covering your ass with the "well it's up to mods in the end" bullshit. You want people out.

@accalia said:

that sounds like the most boring place ever. everyone agreeing on everything? no thank you!

Oh sure it does. Then what the hell are you trying to achieve?

@accalia said:

i think the voting and discussion has shown that we don't want the badges i proposed. Unless all those who voted BADGER_NOT_FOUND did so because it was called BADGER NOT FOUND.

Oh stop playing dumb. It's not about badges, it's about what you're trying to achieve by those badges. And it's pointing out people you don't like, in a passive-aggressive way.

@accalia said:

perhaps. I'd say rather that I care about the community and do not like it when small parts of the community seem to like to spew venom and vitriol at all and sundry; to the point that they appear to mostly end up in echo chambers as the other community members stop participating in the threads they show up in and spray their venom around.

That's your shoulder aliens speaking. Nobody just spews venom here unprovoked. Yes, there are discussions and arguments, and sometimes they get heated, and when somebody's tired of it they stop participating, and that makes sense.

Nobody forces you to participate. You can defend your point, or you can concede it, or you can just point out that personal attacks aren't an argument. There's no need at all to bring out the banhammer just because somebody's failed their debate class.

Besides, your obvious "list" contains of people who are mostly on the receiving end of vitriol and bile:

@Arantor said:

Like you for example. I don't think you're wielding much of a persona, I actually believe you are that arrogant and intolerable in real life.

, and let' not start on Blakey, which just raises a question again - do you care for the community, or do you just want to call Daddy on people you, personally do not like?

• FoxDev

@Maciejasjmj said:

you threatened to leave.

@accalia said:

Honestly I'm far more likely to just say goodbye to the community as a whole than to try and force another to leave.

you seriously read that as "i'm threatening to leave"? because that was not the intention of the line. the intention was to make it clear that I would not tell another to leave the community because i didn't want them as part of the community.

I sincerely apologize if my comment was interpreted as a threat, it was not intended as such and I am deeply sorry that you interpreted it so.

@Maciejasjmj said:

You want people out.

Yeah, i do. I'll make no secret to that fact. But at the same time the people on my list of people i'd like to leave actually want to be here themselves and I'm not going to say they can't be.

I was wrong in my OP that the proposed badges would be a good idea. I was wrong. I'll admit that, that's not covering my ass, that's admitting an idea i had, and initially though was a good one, turned out to be a fracking stupid idea.

@Maciejasjmj said:

And it's pointing out people you don't like, in a passive-aggressive way.

My idea in the OP is both wrong and evil. I may have thought it a good idea at the time but after the discussion that has ensued in this thread I am now convinced that my idea was both wrong and evil and should not be implemented.

• FoxDev

@Maciejasjmj said:

Should just point out the irony of accusing someone of flaming... by flaming 😜

• ♿ (Parody)

@RaceProUK said:

Should just point out the irony of accusing someone of flaming... by flaming

Do it or don't do it. Stop annoying us with your angst! Emacs forever!

• FoxDev

@boomzilla said:

Emacs forever!

an Emacs user, eh?

Ve have ways of making you talk convert.... 👿

• @boomzilla said:

Emacs forever!

New flamewar: Emacs vs iMacs.

Go!

• Java Dev

@boomzilla said:

Emacs forever!

Stop fooling yourself. We all know vim is superior.

• ♿ (Parody)

@PleegWat said:

Stop fooling yourself. We all know vim is superior.

Hah! I fooled you all. I never use either! I do all my text editing in Microsoft Word.

• Do your projects have a Main.cs.docx file?

• FoxDev

@boomzilla said:

I do all my text editing in Microsoft Word.

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! IT BURNS US! lT BURNS US!

• ♿ (Parody)

@mott555 said:

Do your projects have a Main.cs.docx file?

Fool! Main.py.docx

• Java Dev

OK, never mind. The True Path is wasted on some people.

• FoxDev

@boomzilla said:

Emacs forever!

I used to use Emacs. Then, one day, I stopped using Emacs.

And that is the epic tale of the period of time in which I used Emacs 😆

• A gripping story, I'm surprised it hasn't been adapted into an HBO series.

• @hungrier said:

A gripping story, I'm surprised it hasn't been adapted into an HBO series.

I've been waiting for reality TV to start following over-dramatized software engineers. Hasn't happened yet.

• "In a world... where developers use Notepad or Vim; some decide to go their own way... now they must fight... for recognition. In a world where most would pound Esc, some struggle for the right to pound CtrlMeta... Now they must prove... to themselves and to the world... that one editor... is as good as another... Coming soon to a theatre near you... EMACS THE MOVIE. Oh yeah, and then they stopped using it. FIN"

• FoxDev

"attack of the killer Bucky Bits"

that sounds more like it, at least given the budget the film is likely to have. ;-)

@Maciejasjmj said:

you're the one who's flaming

If you think what @accalia is doing is flaming, either you don't know what that word means, or you're just using it your own way for some reason.

@blakeyrat flames. @Accalia doesn't.

• @FrostCat said:

If you think what @accalia is doing is flaming, either you don't know what that word means, or you're just using it your own way for some reason.

She flames people that mess with her foxes.

As a person who's been the recipient of that, I continue to maintain that's not flaming. You could make a "laming" joke, but I'm not about to do that.

• FoxDev

@chubertdev said:

She flames people that mess with her foxes.

it's more "THE TEETH! OH GODDESS THE TEETH! SHARP! OWW! SHARP! OWW! SHARP! OWW! SHARP! OWW! SHARP! OWW! SHARP! OWW!"

than flaming, really. ;-)

• @FrostCat said:

Blakey rants for comedy. Accalia wanted to basically stir up a lynch mob.

My definition stands.

@Maciejasjmj said:

My definition stands.

You can say that if you want. She may even rant, but she doesn't flame.

Flagged for pest control, another one's escaped!

• FoxDev