Cell phones! (a/k/a I can haz SSDD?)

• @anonymous234 said:

gorilla glass and virtually un-scratchable already, so I don't think they really protect anything.

Almost every phone now has a gorilla glass screen. However, that just makes them more durable, not invincible. Scratches can and will happen. Breaks are still possible. The most common breakage scenarios are:

• Point Impacts This is when the phone lands in such a way that all the impact force is focused at a point on the screen. This can be because the phone landed on a corner, or landed such that the screen hit the point of a rock. In either case, if the fall is even a few feet, the screen is likely to crack.
    • Repeated Impacts Each non-cracking impact weakens the glass in your screen. At some point, the cumulative damage will cause the screen to crack.

I personally see no need for the tempered glass protectors, but I'm also very careful with my phone. I only have a screen protector because my phone spends so much time in my pocket.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@abarker said:

I only have a screen protector because my phone spends so much time in my pocket.

In the past, those things ate a lot of the brightness. I've gotten to the point where I just make sure nothing else goes in the pocket that the phone goes into.

• BINNED

@anonymous234 said:

Moto G

I have this one http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/accessories-protection-moto-g/Flip-Shells-for-Moto-G-4G/moto-g-shells-flip.html but that is no advise if you had a bad experience with those.

• FoxDev

@abarker said:

focused 81st a point on the screen.

that is a very odd swypeo. @accalia is proud.

@accalia said:

that is a very odd sypeo

Indeed it is.

• @FrostCat said:

In the past, those things ate a lot of the brightness.

Never had a problem with that.

@FrostCat said:

I've gotten to the point where I just make sure nothing else goes in the pocket that the phone goes into.

Sure, nothing like keys, But there's always lint, dirt working it's way in, maybe sand (depending on your location), you get the idea. Pockets aren't really safe for phones.

• @accalia said:

that is a very odd swypeo. @accalia is proud.

I had a good teacher ;)

• I was going to buy the Ringke Slim because everyone says it's great and costs just $6.99 on their website...

Apparently though, they ship everywhere in the world except to Europe. In the country list there's Somalia, DPRK, Azerbaijan and Timor-Leste, but no Germany, United Kingdom, France or even Russia :wtf:.

@abarker said:

Never had a problem with that.

The last time I used a screen protector was with my hx4705 iPaq, which was awesome, but not nearly as bright as today's phone screens get. But you had two choices for screen protectors: cheap, softish plastic ones that scratched easily and had to be replaced regularly, because the stylus would scratch them with normal use, and the thick layer of scratches also made it harder to see the screen, or ones that cost $10 each, and were about twice as thick, but protected the screen really well, but ate a good amount of light.

Of the three touch-screen Android phones I've had at this point, the first one didn't have gorilla glass but only picked up a small number of scratches. My Note II's screen was nearly invulnerable; it only picked up about 2 tiny little scratches. My current LG G3, I've only had a month, but the screen seems to be even tougher so far. So I don't see the value of the protectors in modern times. However as I said above, it behooves you to modify your behavior a bit; I make sure the pocket the phone goes into doesn't get anything else in it that might scratch it, basically only paper or maybe an aspirin or something. Also, when I set it down I make sure it's placed where nobody, even me, is going to come along and put anything on it.

• @FrostCat said:

So I don't see the value of the protectors in modern times. However as I said above, it behooves you to modify your behavior a bit; I make sure the pocket the phone goes into doesn't get anything else in it that might scratch it, basically only paper or maybe an aspirin or something. Also, when I set it down I make sure it's placed where nobody, even me, is going to come along and put anything on it.

Even then, $15 of protection is worth the peace of mind in case of an accident.

• I haven't used a protector since they began using gorilla glass. I've never broken or cracked a phone screen. I am a klutz.

• @blakeyrat said:

I haven't used a protector since they began using gorilla glass. I've never broken or cracked a phone screen. I am a klutz.

Lucky you. My wife has a screen protector on her Galaxy S3, which has gorilla glass. She's still managed to break the screen three times. As I outlined above, it can depend a lot on how the screen impacts and on the cumulative damage to the screen.

A screen protector wouldn't protect the glass from a drop, of course, so your post doesn't make a lot of sense.

Me, I guess I like to live dangerously. My Note II was fine until I butterfingered it in the car in December and dropped it getting out of the car and it landed face-down on blacktop and shattered. Fortunately I had just hit the period when I could upgrade, so I did.

Phone's still usable, so I play a few games on it, because the glass isn't bonded to the digitizer. I am considering making the effort of replacing the glass: I can get replacent parts for $20, shipping included, and Youtube claims it's easy, as phones go.

• I smashed (smashed to bits, mind) my first ever phone screen last week, on the first day of my vacation, because of course I did.

Screen looks like a bowl of sugar now, not even sure the digitizer survived. It fell about 4 feet, one inch in either direction it would've hit a wooden floor, but no, it has to hit the thin metal table leg on the way down.

Not sure whether to try & get it fixed or just buy a new one, tbh...

• @FrostCat said:

A screen protector wouldn't protect the glass from a drop, of course, so your post doesn't make a lot of sense.

I was just responding to @blakeyrat's post.

• Which of the 3 sentences did you have trouble with?

• @blakeyrat said:

Which of the 3 sentences did you have trouble with?

The sentences themselves make sense. The logic behind them doesn't. Screen protectors don't protect from breaks and cracks. They are meant to protect against scratches.

• Ah, so you're reading some imaginary fantasy story a fairy whispered in your brain and not the actual words on the screen. Then declaring me somehow "wrong" as a result. What a shocker.

• @blakeyrat said:

I haven't used a protector since they began using gorilla glass. I've never broken or cracked a phone screen. I am a klutz.

You said:

@blakeyrat said:

Logical Translation:
    @blakeyrat does not need screen protectors to keep his screen from breaking or cracking even though he is a klutz.

Conclusion:
    @blakeyrat is an idiot because screen protectors do not protect against screen breaks or cracks.

Now if you meant something else, perhaps you should have put those words on the screen instead of expecting me to read your mind.

I smashed the screen on my S3 then and my Nexus 5 (twice, before replacing the screen) and the corner of the screen on my S5.

Gorilla Glass hit in the wrong place is going to break, regardless of whether there's a screen protector or not. Even those glass ones wouldn't have saved the S5.

• @abarker said:

Now if you meant something else, perhaps you should have put those words on the screen instead of expecting me to read your mind.

The words I meant to put on the screen I put on the screen. Your "logical translation" includes many words I did not put on the screen. Not very logical if you ask me.

• @blakeyrat said:

The words I meant to put on the screen I put on the screen. Your "logical translation" includes many words I did not put on the screen. Not very logical if you ask me.

Whatever. I have no interest in a blakey-war. Go argue with your shoulder aliens.

• I think I see the misunderstanding here. Blakeyrat's original post should be interpreted as

I haven't used a protector since they began using gorilla glass, since they're unnecessary.
    Also, despite being a klutz, I've never broken or cracked a phone screen.

[implication: you won't crack a phone screen unless you're a careless idiot, so stop worrying]

and NOT

I haven't used a protector since they began using gorilla glass, and despite that, I've never broken or cracked a phone screen. And I am a klutz.

[implication: gorilla glass screens are strong enough that they don't need protectors to avoid cracking. Which is what @abarker was saying is wrong]

• I understood blakeyrat's intended meaning as soon as he said I was wrong, and I can see how his post can be interpreted that way. That's fine. However, he will never admit that his post could be interpreted in a way other than he meant it. Because the blakeyrat persona is an ass.