Large file uploads in ASP.NET

• The venerable asp:FileUpload usually works, but on spotty connections, it can fail even with relatively small files (~20megs). Does anyone have any experience with any good alternatives? I'm operating under some annoying constraints:

• Must support IE9 (I believe that means HTML5 is out the window?)
    • The full source code must be available, and in a commercial-friendly license
    • No Silverlight or Flash

Nice to have:

• Display upload progress
    • Cost = $0

• FoxDev

well it won't give you update progress but <input type="file" /> works well for me.

no universal ajax support for it, but the upload gets there. maybe use as a fallback if the fancy one doesn't work (something like a link saying if you have troubles try the fallback uploader?)

• IIRC the asp:FileUpload fails because of some of the things it tries to wrap around the <input type="file"/> on some spotty connections so you may be able to build a simpler version that is more resilient, but it would depend on what kind of spotty you are dealing with.

• I've been using this with a .Net back end and haven't had a problem yet;

• In terms of spottiness, think tethered internet where the nearest cell tower is miles away. Sadly, this is the main use case as people are uploading data from the field.

• Thanks, I'll check it out.

• FoxDev

@Groaner said:

In terms of spottiness, think tethered internet where the nearest cell tower is miles away. Sadly, this is the main use case as people are uploading data from the field.

.... and your site LOADS

colour me impressed.

like very impressed

• @Groaner said:

In terms of spottiness, think tethered internet where the nearest cell tower is miles away.

Uh... Then I hope your people are not using the old equipment like I have to support. Dunno if resumes are possible with the old stuff.

• @Groaner said:

Must support IE9 (I believe that means HTML5 is out the window?)

Disable Flash and go to YouTube, see what they're using. Whatever it is, it allowed multi-GB uploads in IE9. (Although I don't recall if they had a proper progress bar or just a spinner...)

• @accalia said:

.... and your site LOADS‽

colour me impressed.

like very impressed

Perhaps not surprisingly, we never have issues with downloads. It is a pretty light site, though.

@locallunatic said:

Uh... Then I hope your people are not using the old equipment like I have to support. Dunno if resumes are possible with the old stuff.

Most of the software and equipment are pretty recent. Unfortunately, our client is forced to use older IE on their systems. I'm optimistic that in a year or two, they'll be on a saner version, but in the meantime, I'm trying to make their experience more comfortable.

@blakeyrat said:

Disable Flash and go to YouTube, see what they're using. Whatever it is, it allowed multi-GB uploads in IE9. (Although I don't recall if they had a proper progress bar or just a spinner...)

That's another good idea. I've seen some clever solutions involving AJAX and custom HttpHandlers, so there's probably a hacky way to get it done.

* That's a real v1.0, not a Discourse v1.0.