And back out



  • I'm just assuming this post will make it to.... anywhere.
    Dropped in to the forums, thinking "hey, maybe today will be the day I'll reconsier and rejoin".
    This is what i se:

    That's 0.75PX font. So is the wysiwyg window, so forgive any typos. I'm basically typing blind here.
    So rejoin... nope. Turn right around and head back out. Bye.
    Also I think I need to select something from the right drop down list, but there's nt.... nothing in there..... "elem.dispatchEvent is not a function"
    So we're at two bugs? three bugs? typing to make a post.
    I ha... may have to load this shit in a different browsers.... browser. Holy fuck.

    bye



  • I've not gotten any of the tiny text, but people complaining about it started today so we'll see how long it lasts.


  • sockdevs

    *sigh*

    This bug has now been reported three or four times... in separate threads.



  • Well, it is not like people experiencing it could see that... :smile:



  • This is what makes Discourse interesting. Community Server had a finite, fixed set of bugs. But with Discourse, each day brings you a new bugset!


  • sockdevs

    @RaceProUK said:

    This bug has now been reported three or four times... in separate threads.

    good news is it seems to only affect one browser.

    browser compatibility testing is hard! ;-)


  • :belt_onion:

    @mott555 said:

    This is what makes Discourse interesting. Community Server had a finite, fixed set of bugs. But with Discourse, each day brings you a new bugset!

    It's Continous [s]Deploy-[/s] [s]Enjoy-[/s] Tor-ment!


  • mod

    It'd be really nice to have @Lorne_Kates back.

    Damn you Discourse!



  • @accalia said:

    browser compatibility testing is hard!

    Perhaps, for Christmas, I should buy them a free trial for http://www.browserstack.com



  • To repeat what has been said hundreds of times... we've had this thing for almost (I think) a year and we're STILL finding a new site-breaking bug every two weeks. WHAT THE FUCK?!


  • mod

    @anonymous234 said:

    To repeat what has been said hundreds of times... we've had this thing for almost (I think) a year and we're STILL finding a new site-breaking bug every two weeks. WHAT THE FUCK?!

    We're in month 8 of regular usage.


  • BINNED

    @anonymous234 said:

    To repeat what has been said hundreds of times... we've had this thing for almost (I think) a year and we're STILL finding a new site-breaking bug every two weeks. WHAT THE FUCK?!

    This isn't a newly found bug that's been sitting there for a while, it's a newly introduced bug (or, in JeffSpeak :tm:, a regression)


  • sockdevs

    @anonymous234 said:

    we've had this thing for almost (I think) a year and we're STILL finding a new site-breaking bug every two weeks.

    and for the past four months or so we've been infested with @sockbot and friends!

    (i just checked. initial commit of my bot code was 2014.09.04 so slightly less than 3.5 months with some discorounding)



  • @accalia has summoned me, and so I appear.

    <!-- Posted by SockBot 0.15.1 "Zany Zoe" on Tue, 16 Dec 2014 17:25:14 GMT-->

  • sockdevs

    if they use it i'll buy them their second month.



  • My bad.

    we're STILL getting a new site-breaking bug every two weeks.



  • There are no regressions. Your attempts to use this software are simply regressive :smile:


  • sockdevs

    @KillaCoder said:

    Your attempts to use this software are simply recursive

    i read that wrong the first time.... i think i like the wrong reading better. it's very meta that way.



  • @abarker said:

    @anonymous234: said:
    To repeat what has been said hundreds of times... we've had this thing for almost (I think) a year and we're STILL finding a new site-breaking bug every two weeks. WHAT THE FUCK?!

    We're in month 8 of regular usage.

    I'd start a poll about whether you think the extra four months will help...


    But I don't want to be responsible for someone laughing themselves to death.


  • mod

    @ijij said:

    I'd start a poll about whether you think the extra four months will help...

    Honestly? We're in year 2 of twatwood's 10 year Dicsourse plan. I don't think the extra 8 years will help.


  • sockdevs

    @abarker said:

    Honestly? We're in year 2 of twatwood's 10 year Dicsourse plan. I don't think the extra 8 years will help.

    i'd like to disagree.

    Discourse is far more functional than CS was. it needs a LOT of work, but already it's better to use, and offers a lot of features that CS lacked or implemented painfully.

    i've seen discourse improve a fair bit in the months i've been active here, and while the improvement is slow and there have been many small steps back, the overall direction is forward to a better software.

    I'd still like to see better testing. it is annoying to get code pushed to the stable main branch that utterly breaks a browser that they should have tested with....



  • I dunno, who knows how the web will be like in 10 years. My guess is that most websites will just be a single script that creates a < canvas> element and loads another script containing a virtual machine of some sort (written in another language but compiled to Javascript) that then runs an HTML+Javascript engine (Blink or whatever the latest fork of it is called) that then proceeds to dynamically load and render the page.

    It will be so slow that Discourse will seem fast by comparison.


  • mod

    @accalia said:

    improvement is slow

    For example:

    • "We don't want this bug bumped, so we're deleting your post."
    • "We don't like you, so we're deleting your bug topic"
    • "Look at all these old bugs! Let's delete them without confirming if they're resolved!"

    @accalia said:

    have been many small steps back

    So making the site unreadable on a major browser is a "small step back"? New and regressed bugs in every release are "small steps back"?

    @accalia said:

    I'd still like to see better testing.

    TDWTF is the testing.

    I'll admit, in several ways it is an improvement over CS, but at best, it is still beta quality. This is in no way market ready software.


  • mod

    @anonymous234 said:

    I dunno, who knows how the web will be like in 10 years. My guess is that most websites will just be a single script that creates a < canvas> element and loads another script containing a virtual machine of some sort (written in another language but compiled to Javascript) that then runs an HTML+Javascript engine (Blink or whatever the latest fork of it is called) that then proceeds to dynamically load and render the page.

    It will be so slow that Discourse will seem fast by comparison.

    So if you went to a banquet, and every dish was made of shit, would you eat the iced shit, or the grilled shit?


  • sockdevs

    @abarker said:

    For example:

    those are symptomatic of dev team issues, not of code issues. dev team issues are important to get resolved but when the team leaders are complicit in, or the cause of, or even simply fail to recognize the issues there's not much that can be done about that.


  • sockdevs

    @abarker said:

    So making the site unreadable on a major browser is a "small step back"? New and regressed bugs in every release are "small steps back"?

    it's a huge step back. for now. i'm waiting to see how ling it takes to fix it.


  • sockdevs

    @abarker said:

    TDWTF is the testing.

    What testing?



  • @abarker said:

    I'll admit, in several ways it is an improvement over CS, but at best, it is still beta quality. This is in no way market ready software.

    CS was buggy, but it was usable and fairly stable as long as nobody was abusing the bugs. And most of the bugs I witnessed required some technical knowledge to trigger, they generally weren't random occurrences.

    Discourse is buggy, often unusable, and only occasionally stable. And most of the bugs here require no technical knowledge, they turn up by doing simple, easily-testable things like loading the main page or replying to a topic using the built-in formatting buttons.

    One felt like a rushed, but okay, project with naive developers who didn't understand web security. The other platform feels like it was thrown together by university sophomores who barely survived Programming II.


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    Except what.tdwtf isn't on stable. It's not even on beta. It's on "smoke tested".

    Insert joke about needing to take longer smoke breaks here.



  • @accalia said:

    it's a huge step back. for now. i'm waiting to see how ling it takes to fix it.

    heh


  • mod

    @accalia said:

    those are symptomatic of dev team issues, not of code issues. dev team issues are important to get resolved but when the team leaders are complicit in, or the cause of, or even simply fail to recognize the issues there's not much that can be done about that.

    Dev team issues lead to/perpetuate code issues.


  • sockdevs

    @izzion said:

    Except what.tdwtf isn't on stable.

    according to discourse we're on stable. which was somewhat of my point.


  • sockdevs

    @chubertdev said:

    heh

    no spellar badge for you! pick on a tougher target to get spellar flags.


  • sockdevs

    @abarker said:

    Dev team issues lead to/perpetuate code issues.

    won't deny that, so long as you accept my point about resolving the issues



  • @accalia said:

    according to discourse we're on stable.

    I think that means our instance is literally hosted from a laptop in a stable inside a barn somewhere. And sometimes the horses craps on the laptop which plugs up the fan and makes everything quit.



  • @mott555 said:

    I think that means our instance is literally hosted from a laptop in a stable inside a barn somewhere. And sometimes the horses craps on the laptop which plugs up the fan and makes everything quit.

    I do NOT want to know what causes the white pages, then.


  • sockdevs

    paging @algorythmics?


  • mod

    @accalia said:

    won't deny that, so long as you accept my point about resolving the issues

    You mean the resolving the dev team issues? Yeah, I think that would be an important step for CDCK. Thing is, those issues have been mentioned (civilly) over on meta.d by members of our forum, and other forums. Nothing has changed. The points I've mentioned re:Dev team issues (aside from deleting old bugs, they only do that infrequently) have all happened in the past week. The main problem with resolving these issues is that they are perpetuated by Jeff.


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    Back in September, eviltrout noted that the branches were split into latest - beta - stable (In increasing order of stability & decreasing frequency of release). There've been a couple discussions around & after that time over on meta.d that basically state that latest has very minimal pre-release testing -- the term they use is "basic smoke testing", which I take to mean "the build didn't break".

    Maybe @PJH or @sam can confirm, but I'm 99.99% sure that I've seen referenced at least once since September that WTDWTF is on latest. Not on stable or beta.

    ETA: http://what.thedailywtf.com/t/docker-upgrades/1929 - we were on tests-passed (which I believe got renamed to latest) as of July, no notes in the update thread that I could find in a quick skim to suggest it got changed.

    The point of my arguing over this point is that, if you want to argue that WTDWTF should be switched to beta or stable branch so that we get more stable forum software, I think that's fair.

    If you want to argue that the latest/tests-passed branch should get more pre-release testing before it's put out for public consumption, you have a valid argument but I disagree with your premise, as latest is billed pretty clearly by the Discoteam as an alpha-channel release.

    If you want to rag Discourse for having bugs pop into their alpha-quality releases, well, I don't know that anyone here can help you -- the blakeyrant thread is :point_right: way...



  • @izzion said:

    It's on "smoke tested".

    As in "what were they smoking"


  • sockdevs

    @abarker said:

    The main problem with resolving these issues is that they are perpetuated by Jeff.

    DING DING DING

    give the man a cookie...

    this is why they need a proper bug tracking software.

    ANY bug tracking software. because forums don't cut it.



  • @izzion said:

    Back in September, <a href=http://what.thedailywtf.com/t/discourse-dmz/2914/99>eviltrout noted</a> that the branches were split into latest - beta - stable (In increasing order of stability & decreasing frequency of release). There've been a couple discussions around & after that time over on meta.d that basically state that latest has very minimal pre-release testing -- the term they use is "basic smoke testing", which I take to mean "the build didn't break".

    Maybe @PJH or @sam can confirm, but I'm 99.99% sure that I've seen referenced at least once since September that WTDWTF is on latest. Not on stable or beta.

    The problem with "latest" is that most of the testing is done by us.


  • mod

    @accalia said:

    this is why they need a proper bug tracking software.

    ANY bug tracking software. because forums don't cut it.

    And they've been told this. Repeatedly. To which Sam and Jeff basically replied, "Nah. We like tracking our bugs at meta.d."


  • mod

    @chubertdev said:

    The problem with "latest" is that most of the testing is done by us.

    FTFY



  • They track the bugs in the same way that a dog tracks mud all over the house.



  • @abarker said:

    FTFY

    The rest is done by other forums. :smirk:


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    As I kinda edited into my post -- "WTDWTF administration" has volunteered us to be alpha testers for Discourse. So, this is what we get.

    I'm totally willing to sign onto a community petition to switch us to a more stable branch and move us out of the alpha testing gig. I just don't have a ton(ne) of confidence that we'll get anywhere with said petition :P


  • mod

    @chubertdev said:

    The rest is done by other forums. :smirk:

    Good point.

    I like to think of the following:

    • We're one of the few instances on the latest schedule. I've seen Jeff or Sam mention that most instances are on Beta or Stable.
    • Some of our critical bugs get rejected because we're "the only instance reporting the issue"

    Could it belgiuming be because no one else is using the same belgiuming version you idiots?!



  • @anonymous234 said:

    To repeat what has been said hundreds of times... we've had this thing for almost (I think) a year and we're STILL finding a new site-breaking bug every two weeks. WHAT THE FUCK?!

    I don't think we've made it to two weeks yet. And that's only considering breaking bugs (i.e. bugs that make the forum unusable.) The "blank posts" bug happened like 5 weekends in a row.


  • sockdevs

    @abarker said:

    Could it belgiuming be because no one else is using the same belgiuming version you idiots?!

    QFT


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.