From my friend who works in IT at a school, here are some screenshots of PDFs:








  • mod

    Someone is actually teaching this?! Oh, and they spelled license wrong.



  • Wait until they learn about Akismet.



  • The resolutions, they burn! 1020x1080?




  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    There is more wrong with that than there is correct information...



  • That hand-drawn captcha is more readable than most I see on the actual web.

    EDIT: I don't get the criticism here:

    @Intercourse said:

    There is more wrong with that than there is correct information...

    Like what? I haven't read all of the last scan, but the rest seem perfectly fine.



  • This post is deleted!


  • @blakeyrat said:

    the rest seem perfectly fine.

    Blakey is trwtf?


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    @blakeyrat said:

    Like what? I haven't read all of the last scan, but the rest seem perfectly fine.

    Either you are being obtuse, or you have had an embolism. Either way, I am not playing this game.



  • @Magus said:

    Blakey is trwtf?

    What, you want me to go through point by point?

    Yes the screen resolutions are "wrong" but those are also not actual real life laptops, it's just a dumb mocked-up chart for a quiz.

    The most common ways of connecting to the Internet on the move are wi-fi and mobile broadband on 3G. What's wrong about that?

    Wi-fi works about 60 meters. That's about right.
    Wi-fi has speeds of up to 54 Mbps. That's right.
    Wi-fi is widely available. Correct.

    What's the wrongness here?

    Unless every single bit of wrongness is in the very last scan (which I still haven't read) I honestly do not get the complaint here.



  • HD movies can only be played from Bluray disks? Netbooks have SSSD drives?



  • @ben_lubar said:

    Netbooks have SSSD drives?

    Ok I'll hand you that one. "Solid state SD cards" could mean two things, both of which are probably not what the author intended. It's not outside the realm of possibility for a Netbook to use SD cards for storage instead of SSDs, though.

    The HD thing is a case of pedantic dickweedery. It's obvious from the chart and the question what they meant.

    EDIT: surprised nobody jumped on the "open source software has fewer security features than closed-source" thing. Hahaha.



  • The last scan is fairly accurate, if the class is "IT Stereotypes 101"



  • It also cites "open source software has a different feature set than proprietary software" as a disadvantage of open source software, even though the proprietary software would have a different feature set than the open source software.



  • It's British, so I assume there's an unspoken "LESSER feature set" implication there. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but it would be a very British thing to say.

    Other than that, yes, obviously every program has a different feature set than every other program.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    The HD thing is a case of pedantic dickweedery. It's obvious from the chart and the question what they meant.

    I'm not aware of any movies that were released in 17:18 1080p HD.


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    @blakeyrat said:

    Wi-fi has speeds of up to 54 Mbps. That's right.

    It is pedantically right, in that you could read it as:

    @blakeyrat said:

    Wi-fi has speeds of up to and more than 54 Mbps.

    It would be more correct to say that wifi has speeds up to 1900Mb/s.

    The mocked up laptops are just all fucked up on their specs. There is just so much wrong with it. Yes, it is just a chart for a quiz but some of the screen resolutions don't even exist and the specs are all jumbled to fuck. Let's assume they meant that the screen resolution was 640x480, there was never a laptop made (to my knowledge) that has that resolution and supports that much RAM.

    There is no software that can read the letters displayed and enter them into the required field.

    Yeah, that is just fucking wrong.

    Netbooks have either SSD drives, or conventional spinning rust. I do not recall any of them that boot from an SD card.

    Designed for using the Internet and 'cloud' computing.

    ...and basically everything else. As long as you do not need a lot of horsepower or large display, they are very capable. <pedantically speaking, I suppose it is possible they were talking about an Acer netbook earlier, but that would violate their whole "they run from SD cards" thing>



  • @Intercourse said:

    Netbooks have either SSD drives, or conventional spinning rust. I do not recall any of them that boot from an SD card.

    The EeePC that kicked off the whole netbook fad ran off SD cards. Then idiot manufacturers said "Hey let's put shitty intel atoms and 5400 RPM drives in netbooks! Brillant!"


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    Yeah, that was the EeePC. I do not recall seeing any on the market that ran entirely from SD card though. I could certainly be wrong.



  • @hungrier said:

    The EeePC that kicked off the whole netbook fad ran off SD cards.

    I did not know that.

    I had the MSI ... something 10", and it had a little SSD in it. Had just barely enough horsepower to run an MP4 full-screen. Before I realized "skinny" is better than "small", and bought my Acer Aspire S7.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @blakeyrat said:

    Like what? I haven't read all of the last scan, but the rest seem perfectly fine.

    Are you of the opinion that, for example, you can't watch HD movies without a "Bluray" player? Or that a laptop might have 640x420 resolution? Or that netbooks are "very strong and robust"?

    Or that "open source software is developed by volunteers who gradually improve it"?

    Edit: Hanzo'd, but I'm sure you'll piss and moan about it anyway.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @blakeyrat said:

    "Solid state SD cards" could mean two things, both of which are probably not what the author intended.

    True, although eMMC is sort of what the author wrote, even if it's not what he meant, if you know what I mean.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @Intercourse said:

    >blakeyrat:
    Wi-fi has speeds of up to and more than 54 Mbps.

    It would be more correct to say that wifi has speeds up to 1900Mb/s.

    How old are these charts? In (say) 2004, "up to 54Mbps" wasn't an unreasonable statement--wireless N wasn't really widespread yet.



  • @FrostCat said:

    Or that "open source software is developed by volunteers who gradually improve it"?

    What's wrong with that?
    Seems like a fairly accurate (yet non-exhaustive) assessment of most open source software.


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    @created_just_to_disl said:

    What's wrong with that?Seems like a fairly accurate (yet non-exhaustive) assessment of most open source software.

    Well, for starters more than a few open-source projects are also commercial enterprises that are developed by people who draw a paycheck from their open-source projects. Open-source software runs the gamut from "slapped together by volunteers in their spare time" to "full-blown commercial businesses".



  • @created_just_to_disl said:

    What's wrong with that?

    I'm sure Blakey will be glad to tell you how all FOSS is shit because it is either not being improved (the developers are idiots/just want to work on shiny/don't give a shit) or are being improved, but only 0.00001% as fast as commercial software.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @created_just_to_disl said:

    What's wrong with that?Seems like a fairly accurate (yet non-exhaustive) assessment of most open source software.

    It's the kind of thing that would make @blakeyrat screech about because he thinks it's categorically untrue[1], which was the main reason I mentioned it.

    [1] Except unless someone says something like that in which case I would expect him to come up with a wild-eyed spittle-flecked rant about how that's not what he meant all the times he raved about how horrible OSS is.



  • Intercourse - And which percentage of open source software is that? What percentage of open source development is that? What percentage of open source developers are those?
    Unless all three percentages are above 15, the blanket statement in the OP is fine.

    [size=5]EDIT: I will be gradually moving the percentage up and down for the rest of the day[/size]


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    @created_just_to_disl said:

    I will be gradually moving the percentage up and down for the rest of the day

    I am going to wait until you adjust it to the point that it crosses the thresholds before I reply, just to ensure that I am right.

    <Yeah right, like I have time for that.>



  • I'll start by editing the percentages so that they make sense :embarassed: [size=6]As far as I care, that's a working emoshticon[/size]


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @created_just_to_disl said:

    And which percentage of open source software is that?

    It doesn't need to be 85%, or [pick a number]. Even ESR bitched about how horrible CUPS was, and [insert JWZ CADT reference here].

    All it takes is one instance of experiencing horror like CUPS[1] to make someone swear off OSS forever.

    I've been trying to get my company to retire the lame Wise installer (which we've been using for about 15 years, long before I got here) for about 3 years. I suggested NSIS, which I think will do everything we need, but I can't get my boss to get past "it's Open Source, who will support us if we have problems?" (Admittedly, the answer is, roughly, "and who will support us if we have a problem tomorrow with our current software?" but that hasn't gotten me any traction.

    [1] as it was at the time of ESR's lament. Maybe it's better now, but that's not the point.



  • So, um, do we make a list, or what?

    • 640x420 resolution exists at all, and in modern days
    • the aspect ratios of laptops are all wrong
    • you can play HD movies only on a laptop with a blu-ray
    • SSD drives are SD cards
    • Netbooks cannot have HDDs, despite existing way before the SSD craze
    • There is absolutely no captcha-breaking software. Move along.
    • Captchas are used to protect systems vulnerable to email spam. Despite the fact that there's no way to implement CAPTCHA on e-mail.
    • "Many students confuse open-source software with online applications". HOW DO YOU EVEN.
    • SaaS is "not secure, since hosting company can be attacked by hackers", but your computer will be just fine
    • COMIC SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANS


  • @Maciejasjmj said:

    "Many students confuse open-source software with online applications". HOW DO YOU EVEN.

    They're saying five out of six British students didn't give the correct response for "why is open source software always worse than proprietary software no matter what?". I'd like to meet that sixth student because apparently they've outsmarted reality.



  • @Maciejasjmj said:

    "Many students confuse open-source software with online applications". HOW DO YOU EVEN.

    Because the entire rest of the lesson is about online vs. downloaded applications, and the open source bullshit comes out of NOWHERE in the last 3 minutes? Probably.



  • @ben_lubar said:

    They're saying five out of six British students didn't give the correct response for "why is open source software always worse than proprietary software no matter what?". I'd like to meet that sixth student because apparently they've outsmarted reality.

    But notice how the question asks you for two advantages of open-source, but only one disadvantage! BLATANT FOSS PROPAGANDA!

    @blakeyrat said:

    Because the entire rest of the lesson is about online vs. downloaded applications, and the open source bullshit comes out of NOWHERE in the last 3 minutes? Probably.

    Makes sense. Still a reading comprehension fail, though.



  • @Maciejasjmj said:

    But notice how the question asks you for two advantages of open-source, but only one disadvantage! BLATANT FOSS PROPAGANDA!

    The first advantage they give is "free" and the second one is about freedom, so they must be talking about money. But they're just flat out wrong.

    The advantage is that the other people have to share the source code. The disadvantage is that you have to share as well.


  • area_deu

    You have to pay to use propietary software

    How has everyone overlooked this?



  • There is technically definitely such a thing as captcha breaking software. What you do is, you are a shady person with a bunch of shady websites that a bunch of people comment on, and you write bots that write comments on captcha protected websites. And you then proceed to simply serve the captchas your bots encounter to the humans on your own sites as if they are your own captchas.



  • That captcha perfectly visualises what I hate about captchas.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    Weren't you listening? There is no software capable of working out CAPTCHAs. You'll never pass the exam and become a first level support guy if you insist on all this "thinking" malarkey.

    Posted from my (presumably pirated) free copy of Chrome



  • This is also how I'd imagine my bank interface would work. They have 3 levels of questions to verify it is me. A MITM attack could simply relay the questions and answers to gain access.
    Forget all those layers and just give me a regular password. Or do a proper 2-layer interface where I have a keyfob.



  • @Maciejasjmj said:

    So, um, do we make a list, or what?

    • 640x420 resolution exists at all, and in modern days
    • the aspect ratios of laptops are all wrong
    • you can play HD movies only on a laptop with a blu-ray
    • SSD drives are SD cards
    • Netbooks cannot have HDDs, despite existing way before the SSD craze
    • There is absolutely no captcha-breaking software. Move along.
    • Captchas are used to protect systems vulnerable to email spam. Despite the fact that there's no way to implement CAPTCHA on e-mail.
    • "Many students confuse open-source software with online applications". HOW DO YOU EVEN.
    • SaaS is "not secure, since hosting company can be attacked by hackers", but your computer will be just fine
    • COMIC SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANS
    • The figures are made up, it's to show how much resolutions can vary and how to work out which ones are better (one higher number does not always equal a better res for example)
    • Again, they are made up to show the concept of different aspect ratios.
    • That's generally correct for most people, Blu Rays are how you watch HD movies. Streaming HD isn't very good and how many people are downloading full quality Blu Ray rips?

    The rest are pretty silly though!



  • @KillaCoder said:

    Streaming HD isn't very good

    Huh? It works for me.

    @KillaCoder said:

    and how many people are downloading full quality Blu Ray rips?

    Compression? I mean, a 1080p episode of a TV series is what, 1GB on most torrents? Nothing you can't download.

    @KillaCoder said:

    Again, they are made up to show the concept of different aspect ratios.

    Which mostly don't exist, and some of them are vertical. They kinda fail at "showing the concept".



  • Depends what you consider HD I guess. The quality on the "HD" streams I've seen is nothing like Blu ray. Ditto for compressed rips. There's just no comparison to a movie on Blu Ray, at least for me.

    There are vertical aspect ratios too though, and that's something that should be taught too. If they changed the label to "Samsung Phone" would that make it better?

    Seriously, they're just made up figures. It's like those maths questions where a train is going 120 miles an hour or whatever. You're not supposed to argue that it's unrealistic for a train to maintain that exact speed for that amount of time :stuck_out_tongue:



  • @KillaCoder said:

    Seriously, they're just made up figures. It's like those maths questions where a train is going 120 miles an hour or whatever. You're not supposed to argue that it's unrealistic for a train to maintain that exact speed for that amount of time

    If a train is going 0.9c, however, it starts to raise questions.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Like what? I haven't read all of the last scan, but the rest seem perfectly fine.

    Meh...I read the first one or two, and was wondering what TRWTF was (i.e., I agreed with @blakeyrat). The rest is still tldr after reading all the comments, and I agree that it's old stuff and most WTFs are pedantic dickweedery, so it's a good find by @ben_lubar.



  • Oh come on, "slightly incorrect resolution/aspect ratio" = "train going near the speed of light"? Really?

    ...I admire your pedantry ;)



  • @KillaCoder said:

    Depends what you consider HD I guess. The quality on the "HD" streams I've seen is nothing like Blu ray. Ditto for compressed rips. There's just no comparison to a movie on Blu Ray, at least for me.

    I can't imagine how much you can improve over YouTube's 1080p in image quality. But then, I played all games with antialiasing turned off until about 2011, and it never bugged me...



  • @Gaska said:

    I can't imagine how much you can improve over YouTube's 1080p in image quality.

    Yeah, you can - if only by reducing compression artifacts. Then again, most 1080p releases hardly have any noticeable ones, unless you really want to look for them.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.