Cards Against Humanity is like if I got control of a successful e-commerce site

• ♿ (Parody)

@Jaloopa said:

Are you saying passable transvestites don't exist? With your avatar ⁉

No, just that we're imagining them for the purposes of the game. We're not referring to people who actually exist. Unless you know some are thinking of them.

• @accalia said:

Mine too! second place goes to pink!

Yaay!
    Pink is festively manly!

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@Buddy said:

GLAAD recommends not using the word ‘transvestite’ unless a person specifically describes themself that way.

So now we have to ask each person if they consider a word to be akin to a hate crime before using it?

This PC/SJW bullshit is getting out of control. I can't keep up.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Intercourse said:

So now we have to ask each person if they consider a word to be akin to a hate crime before using it?

No, you can't ask, because now you're just microagressing them.

• @Maciejasjmj said:

(except I don't agree that much with "brutal treatment" - yep, there's a stereotype all right, but that hardly matters when you cash in ten times your peers' paycheck).

In a GG context, I once saw a tweet along the lines of: $10k for anyone who can find a GG participant we'd be willing to sleep with.

This from a group which purports to be about equality, and which says they are bullied by evil nerds. If I had faith in humanity to begin with, this might have broken it. I'd really love to see a positive quote by any modern group focused on equality. Anyone have any? Anyone?

• FoxDev

@Intercourse said:

tell me about it.

my rule of thumb: if person is known to you use correct pronouns (or their name) otherwise if you are obviously male/female use correct pronouns for apparent gender, otherwise if reasonable guess can be made based on clothing use appropriate pronouns for apparent gender, otherwise use male pronoun.

Note, these steps from here on are general and i will use them regardless of why the person i am working with is upset, substituting the appropriate apology as needed

If person becomes upset at pronoun misuse, apologize, indicate that you did not intend offense and switch to the correct pronoun.

If person continues to be upset, apologize again and indicate what steps are necessary to escalate the complaint to management/appropriate authorities. (depends on where i am and what i'm doing) At this point provide person with my card so that they have my name and contact information for any necessary followup.

if person continues to be upset and will not disengage, apologize again and indicate that I cannot continue interacting with them at this time and if they do not calm down i will be forced to either leave the premises (if i am at client site or in public with an easily accessible exit) or call the appropriate authorities to remove them from the premises (if i am in public or client is at my office)

If person still will not disengage, apologize again and leave the premises or summon the appropriate authorities to remove them.

It's worked for me so far, and i've only once gotten to the final step. most encounters end after the first step.

• @Intercourse said:

This PC/SJW bullshit is getting out of control.

Considering that it is quite toxic to making actual headway on the problems they hold so dear, yes it is. They need to learn to buzz off, instead of poisoning any well they find that has any of the life-giving water of reasoned discourse in it.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Magus said:

$10k for anyone who can find a GG participant we'd be willing to sleep with.

Did they specify at all about their standards?

• The idea is "There is no such thing, nerds are ewww."

• ♿ (Parody)

Well, if we're casting directly from Revenge of the Nerds or something, I might agree. Such a challenge calls for a blind (double blind probably not necessary) test.

@accalia said:

tell me about it.

my rule of thumb: lots and lots of steps

My patience does not last that long. I will apologize once or twice and then I am highly likely to tell them to fuck off. There is no greater feeling in the business world than being able to fire a client. Said contract would have to be at least well in to the 6-figure range before I would go to those lengths.

You are, without a doubt, a nicer person than I am though... 😄

• ♿ (Parody)

I've never had an actual case where I made the mistake once (and I can't think of a time when it wasn't that I genuinely didn't know) and corrected it. No one has ever gotten angry at me that I'm aware of. This is probably my large white male's privilege's doing.

• FoxDev

@Intercourse said:

My patience does not last that long

i worked Retail for 8 years before i managed to make it to senior year of college (i took the scenic route) and get a job in the industry.

some habits are very hard to break.

i still stop to listen for my name if the store music pauses. ;-)

• @accalia said:

pronouns

If someone gets that upset by your pronouns, chances are the only pronouns they actually care about are I/me/my.

• FoxDev

@hungrier said:

If someone gets that upset by your pronouns, chances are the only pronouns they actually care about are I/me/my.

invariably. but then i wasn't getting paid to deal with that.

i have similar rules for swearing. you don't do it if you want me to continue interacting on a professional level.

• ♿ (Parody)

Fuck rules.

• FoxDev

@boomzilla said:

Fuck rules.

Sir, If you want to continue this transaction with me I'm going to need you to use civil language. Thank you.

NO! Bad Accalia! Bad!

• ♿ (Parody)

@accalia said:

civil language

Fuck civilization.

• kills Dumbledore

This is a place for civilised fucking discourse!

• FoxDev

@boomzilla said:

Fuck civilization.

Sir, if you continue to use uncivil language i will be forced to cancel this transaction and ask you to leave the prem.. the premi....

STOP IT!

THE FLASHBACKS!

BACK FRIDAY! AAAAAAARGLBLARG!

/me tries to flee but just runs face first into the wall next to the door, knocking herself out

;-)

• ♿ (Parody)

@accalia said:

Sir, if you continue to use uncivil language i will be forced to cancel this transaction and ask you to leave the prem.. the premi....

Man...I had to struggle with not giving a beat down yelling at a guy this weekend. Was out selling popcorn with the Cub Scouts, and a guy was talking about how microwave popcorn gives you cancer because it's made with motor oil.

• That's when you bring out the "secret" popcorn packages that weren't made with motor oil. Of course, that makes it more expensive, so it costs about 1.5X normal price, but you'll sell it to him for only 1.2X.

• kills Dumbledore

@boomzilla said:

microwave popcorn gives you cancer because it's made with motor oil

The stupid.. it burns!
    I wonder if he got that from FoodBabe. Sounds like the kind of shit she'd come out with

• FoxDev

@boomzilla said:

Man...I had to struggle with not giving a beat down yelling at a guy this weekend

if you want to learn patience work the resgister at a entry level retail job on black friday.

you'll learn patience in a hurry, possibly with a side of PTSD.

which for the record i don't have regarding black friday... i just thought it was funny to pretend.

i mean about half the time i'm pretending to be an actual fox on here for the lulz so that can't be too surprising. ;-)

• ♿ (Parody)

@accalia said:

if you want to learn patience work the resgister at a entry level retail job on black friday.

Between Cub Scouts and teaching martial arts classes to children, my patience isn't in doubt.

• FoxDev

@boomzilla said:

teaching martial arts classes to children

that's like herding cats on speed right? (the cats are on the amphetamines, not the herder)

• ♿ (Parody)

@accalia said:

that's like herding cats on speed right? (the cats are on the amphetamines, not the herder)

Possibly, but I'd note that I'm not allowed to kick the kids.

• FoxDev

@boomzilla said:

not allowed to kick the kids.

that's probably for the best...

• ♿ (Parody)

The key, IME, is to keep stuff high tempo / loud and not do the same thing for too long.

@Jaloopa said:

I wonder if he got that from FoodBabe.

I had almost forgotten about that dizzy bitch. If anyone ever needed a good beating with a bag of oranges, it is her. She is batshit crazy.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@boomzilla said:

This is like those precious snowflakes who were so triggered by Ferguson they had to postpone their final exams.

I hope someone posts a list. I wouldn't want one of those people representing me if I ever need a lawyer.

@accalia said:

Snort. Must suck to have worked where you were in situations like that. The one time someone swore at me at retail I told her that was it, I wasn't going to serve her any more. She started to argue and her husband grabbed her by the shoulders and frog-marched her out of the store. It was awesome.

@Intercourse said:

If anyone ever needed a good beating with a bag of oranges

QFF.

• FoxDev

@FrostCat said:

Must suck to have worked where you were in situations like that.

it does suck. once i got promoted to service desk had to do it twice before word got around that while i'd practically bend over backwards to help you if you had a genuine grievance, i also wouldn't put up with shit at all.

it's something to do that to one of your customers that has driven associates into the break room in tears and have practically the entire store cheer you on when you tell her that she has the choice to leave or be removed by the police but i would not be taking her return today.

even better when she screams to see my manager, who by that time was standing behind her, he just taps her on the shoulder and says "you heard the lady. time to leave"

my manager at the time was built like a line backer.

that was a good day....

-sigh-

@accalia said:

it's something to do that to one of your customers that has driven associates into the break room in tears

In spite of probably 5 years of work at retail I never had someone quite that bad, and I've seen people throw shopping carts (as in, they went briefly airborne).

My favorite excuse is still probably "I'm illiterate, so I didn't see your sign that says you don't take back opened CDs." That requires enough chutzpah to either admit or actually lie about I'd be tempted to give the guy his money back, heh. He tried to get all solidarity and enlist the person behind him. I'm not sure if he planned on camping out in the line and singing We Shall Overcome or what.

• FoxDev

@FrostCat said:

In spite of probably 5 years of work at retail I never had someone quite that bad,

you want to know what's better?

we never did accept her return ever. she just kept comming in to return a 1950's vintage LLBean coat and we were "off brand clothing store that has never carried LLBean products"

i'm sure she was doing it because she was a weapons grade [she dog in heat] and got off on causing misery in others.

never did see her again after i stood up to her. i think i broke her mind a bit by refusing to swallow her shit.

either that or she started going to a different store.

@accalia said:

either that or she started going to a different store.

It was this. Eventually she probably found someone who took the coat to shut her up.

I worked for a now-defunct chain, and every once in a while I would hear about a problem customer who store-shopped. He'd try the same trick with every new cashier he could spot until he was well-known enough that nobody'd let his scam through (price-tag switching: put a $20 tag on a $200 vacuum cleaner, throw away the receipt, return it the next day for the $200) and then move on to another store. He screwed up once and tried to come through my line with that trick twice, after I'd been yelled at by Security for letting him do it. The next time I pointed out that the SKU on the tag was for the wrong department, and if he'd hold on a sec, I'd call up the right department. He tried to argue for a minute or so, and then stormed off in high dudgeon because I wouldn't take his word for it.

• FoxDev

@FrostCat said:

It was this. Eventually she probably found someone who took the coat to shut her up.

I worked for a now-defunct chain, and every once in a while I would hear about a problem customer who store-shopped. He'd try the same trick with every new cashier he could spot until he was well-known enough that nobody'd let his scam through (price-tag switching: put a $20 tag on a $200 vacuum cleaner, throw away the receipt, return it the next day for the $200) and then move on to another store. He screwed up once and tried to come through my line with that trick twice, after I'd been yelled at by Security for letting him do it. The next time I pointed out that the SKU on the tag was for the wrong department, and if he'd hold on a sec, I'd call up the right department. He tried to argue for a minute or so, and then stormed off in high dudgeon because I wouldn't take his word for it.

oh i had fun with one of those.

i had one guy that did that to me. the tag was for the wrong department so i immediately called for a price check.

he got pissed about it so i pointed out that that he had a luggage set that was ringing up as lingerie, so obviously there was a mistake in tagging the item (i was very careful to avoid accusing him of switching it.

so we got the price and he was still willing to take it. odd...

so as we were finishing the sale, before i gave the luggage to him i opened it and searched it in front of him, removing all sorts of items he'd shoved in there and ringing them up for him. i then carefully packed them back in the luggage and placed it on the floor next to me. Since i'd used the loss prevention department code on the initial price check call (as per procedure, the page was phrased something like "Department 45, Price check for Luggage at register 5, Department 42") out loss prevention agent was already hanging out at the registers.

watching him grab the guy when he made a grab for the luggage to run out without paying was awesome.

Frank was something like a 5th dan blackbelt or something. ain't nobody messing with him and getting away with it!

• @boomzilla said:

Ok either I suck at summarizing or yall suck at reading comprehension, because I don't see how you got there from the article, which says don't use the word at all, unless the person in question has already used it to identify themselves.
    I personally would also specifically point out that that's how the person identifies, so that uninvolved third parties don't assume that I'm just ignorant. Unless I want them to think that, I guess.

@Intercourse said:

It's a style guide. You don't have to follow it if you don't want, but as with any style guide, if you don't follow it, people are going to assume certain things about you. The point is that if you actually cared about your use of language, there are resources available, and established best practices, and keeping up with them is not nearly as hard as you're making out.

@Intercourse said:

There is no greater feeling in the business world than being able to fire a client.

Where I grew up there were signs on all the shop doors that said “right of admission reserved”. Eventually I realized that was just the South-African way of saying “no black people”.

@hungrier said:

Or that they've had a lot of instances of people intentionally misusing pronouns at them and are now a bit touchy. Has anyone ever intentionally called you the wrong pronouns? How did you feel? How do you think you'd feel if that was the norm rather than an exception?

• @Buddy said:

Has anyone ever intentionally called you the wrong pronouns?

Not intentionally, but I also don't go around asking people to refer to me using bun/bun/bunself.

An extreme example, yes.

But if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it asking to be called a goose doesn't make it one.

@Buddy said:

Where I grew up there were signs on all the shop doors that said “right of admission reserved”. Eventually I realized that was just the South-African way of saying “no black people”.

Is this place being overrun with SJW's? Now not wanting to work with touchy fucking pricks is akin to racism?

I said it before, this PC/SJW bullshit is getting insane.

• @Buddy said:

transvestite

That's what a transvestite looks like. None of this "transexual" crap. It's a man pretending to be an old woman for comedic effect and also because they only had one female actress.

• Ok by get this, alright: If you look like a duck, ok, and you quack like a bigoted fucking duck, nobody's gonna stick around to find out if your ignorance is actually totally legit, see, because it's born from a hatred of SJWs, not of trans* folk. Like, I totally don't hate trans* people, just anyone that claims to represent them, and I resent any advice that is offered to me about how to make trans* people feel comfortable. Not a transphobe, ok.

• Shit I'm worried I may have gone too far with that last message. Before you answer it could you pause and let me know how perturbed you're feeling right now?

@Buddy said:

Before you answer it could you pause and let me know how perturbed you're feeling right now?

On a scale from 1-10, I am feeling "I don't get rankled by insignificant disagreements on the internet".

• ♿ (Parody)

How about a minor change of pace? Let's make fun of Femsplaining strawmen:

http://www.salon.com/2014/12/09/to_my_white_male_facebook_friends/

• I like how the preview instantly conveys that whoever wrote it considers white males to be bigots who don't listen to anyone else.

Which encourages me to not read it. And if I don't read it, I'm being defensive and not listening to their experiences. It is clever indeed.

Thankfully, the first thing wins out. If they think so, they are bigots, and I don't read articles by bigots.

@Magus said:

And if I don't read it, I'm being defensive and not listening to their experiences. It is clever indeed.

No, it's someone who thinks they're clever. I, however, maintain that someone who manages to drip so much condescension into one clause and one sentence doesn't have an experience to share that will enlighten me, except perhaps as a "how not to" lesson.

• ♿ (Parody)

Eh, I read it and after thinking about her arguments decided that it doesn't apply to me, because I haven't dismissed complaints without investigating them. It sounds like she's only friends on facebook with dumb white guys. Or shoulder aliens.

@boomzilla said:

because I haven't dismissed complaints without investigating them.

Perhaps. Then again, I've read enough of that general kind of drivel that I think I might have hit my lifetime maximum.