Cards Against Humanity is like if I got control of a successful e-commerce site

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@another_sam said:

And a whole bunch of others, according to the article.

Perhaps. Frankly, as @ben_lubar said, the whole point of the game is the offensive nature, so it's a bit...disingenuous to get offended by any particular card. If one bothers you, take it out and move on. If a whole bunch bother you, perhaps it's not the game for you.

@Groaner said:

So jokes aren't illegal and shouldn't be illegal, and yet they contribute heavily to violence and hate crimes? The implication I seem to be getting out of this is that if we could somehow reduce or eliminate jokes against marginalized groups, it might do wonders to reduce police brutality and violent mobs.

I think the goal here is you should cower in your apartment, too terrified to say or do anything that might possibly offend anyone.

• FoxDev

@FrostCat said:

I think the goal here is you should cower in your apartment, too terrified to say or do anything that might possibly offend anyone.

... and let the SJWs win?

FRACK THAT! with a giant purple dildo

• FoxDev

@accalia said:

with a giant purple dildo

I like purple; it's one of my favourite colours ☺

• FoxDev

@RaceProUK said:

I like purple; it's one of my favourite colours ☺

Mine too! second place goes to pink!

• FoxDev

@accalia said:

Mine too! second place goes to pink!

Certainly explains why you liked my last two avatars ☺
    How long do you think we can keep this going before someone blocks the use of nested <small> tags?

• Grade A Premium Asshole

The game is about being offensive. It is Cards Against Humanity, maybe they took out the transvestite card because they do not consider transvestites to be a part of humanity?

Everyone who is taking up for this decision should really look back to the list I made earlier in this topic. They passed over 63 other groups that were being marginalized and took out this card. I would be more likely to find the Holocaust cards more offensive, but that is just me...

• FoxDev

@RaceProUK said:

Certainly explains why you liked my last two avatars ☺How long do you think we can keep this going before someone blocks the use of nested <small> tags?

dunno. how much time do you have to find out?

• FoxDev

@accalia said:

dunno. how much time do you have to find out?

I say we just keep doing it until we can do it no longer ☺

@accalia said:

and let the SJWs win?

That's the SJW's goal, not mine.

@RaceProUK said:

I say we just keep doing it until we can do it no longer ☺

Must you all keep doing that? It's really hard to read.

• FoxDev

@FrostCat said:

Yes ☺

In truth, it gets old quickly, so I doubt it'll continue for much longer ;)

• FoxDev

@FrostCat said:

Must? no. will we? probably for a bit longer until we get bored.

Meh. Keep it up all you want. I'm tired of squinting so I'll probably just ignore small text from now on.

• kills Dumbledore

1. highlight text
    2. Quote Reply
      23434263434. read text
    3. winder why you bothered since it's invariably not funny

@Jaloopa said:

highlight text
    Quote Reply
    read text
    winder why you bothered since it's invariably not funny

I know I can do that. It's not worth it for 5 posts in a row. Nor is using the browser's zoom, because that's a global function, and then I have to unzoom, or new tabs are zoomed. I'll just complain about people selfishly ignoring my disability.

• @FrostCat said:

I'll just complain about people selfishly ignoring my disability.

Perhaps you need some help from SJW's?

@mott555 said:

No, that seems like overkill. I'd rather just gripe about it.

That Menard's article someone linked in another thread this morning (or last night?) was awful about that too--I had to F12 so I could kill the dumbass font styling. I know I mentioned that but I'm going to again. Web developers, STOP FUCKING DOING THAT.

Also, the person who wrote that article was an asshole too, just on a smaller scale.

• FoxDev

@mott555 said:

overkill much?

On the other hand: sometimes you really do need to nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...

On the gripping hand, it's a bad idea to nuke it from orbit while you're still on the planet that's about to get nuked.

• @accalia said:

On the gripping hand

Been a while since I've seen someone use that (or at least seen it and noticed that it was used).

• FoxDev

it has been a while...

@accalia said:

slightly off topic: @GOG now that i think of it i'm somewhat surprised that you didn't use on 'the gripping hand' It seems rather apropos in this context to me.

@ScholRLEA said:

On the gripping hand, this really only counts for going from SF to LA.

@marinus said:

On the gripping hand, this lets me post and CS doesn't. (Whether that's a feature is, of course, a different question.)

If i missed any let me know. that's all google found here...

@FrostCat said:

That Menard's article someone linked in another thread this morning (or last night?) was awful about that too

That was me, it was this morning and I just went and looked over it and you are right. It was shit for styling (agreed also about the author). I must have still been half asleep when I posted it because at the time it did not stand out to me. This time, it was all I saw. Tiny text.

• @Groaner said:

So jokes aren't illegal and shouldn't be illegal, and yet they contribute heavily to violence and hate crimes?

Yes and yes and it's far more complicated than that.

It's not necessary or desirable to make all undesirable behaviour illegal.

Jokes alone probably don't contribute heavily to violence. They are part of a pattern. Friendly jokes become unfriendly jokes (the target of the joke may not see the difference), then rude comments, bullying, then it's all downhill to socially accepted beatings and murders.

@Groaner said:

if we could somehow reduce or eliminate jokes [and other antisocial behaviour] against marginalized groups, it might do wonders to reduce police brutality and violent mobs.

It's far more complicated than that. But when was the last time a white guy was choked to death by a black cop on video and acquitted?

@Groaner said:

I'm skeptical that someone who's willing to end a life under racist pretenses will have his/her hand stayed by enforced political correctness.

It's far more complicated than that (do you see a pattern emerging here?).

History disagrees with you. Lynch mobs are far rarer today than they were fifty years ago because it's no longer seen as acceptable to treat people like that even if they have darker coloured skin. Lynching has been illegal for a very long time, yet it continued to happen until social pressure (mostly) stopped it. All-white juries routinely acquitted whites charged with murdering blacks. These days it's a lot less common.

There are other groups that haven't come so far.

@Groaner said:

My takeaway was that racism is present in everyone, that we should not perceive it as a personal attack, and that we should laugh about it rather than self-flagellate.

Again, I think it's more complicated than that. Ignorance is, to varying degrees, present in everyone. Sometimes ignorance leads to embarrassing situations. We should try to improve that situation instead of wallowing in it. You can improve yourself without self-flaggellation.

Racism born of malice instead of ignorance is a different matter and much harder to deal with.

• @Maciejasjmj said:

I can come up with about a hundred of jokes about computer nerds. Does that make IT guys a marginalized group?

Are you fucking serious?

@hungrier said:

is 0, for anybody of any group.

Nuh-uh!

@FrostCat said:

Not retarded, just trolling. Too obvious. 1/10

@another_sam said:

But when was the last time a white guy was choked to death by a black cop on video and acquitted?

Two years ago in Alabama. That was the first hit for "black man killed by white cop."

• The thing is, while nerds are bullied constantly and violently and always have been, we generally don't form 'that's offensive' committees to ban specific parts of games meant to offend everyone. We get downright brutal treatment, but we don't spend all our time shouting 'we're being repressed!' We know we don't have to, and that we can succeed and be happy anyway. Wallowing in it won't help, and will just make more people unhappy.

Those of us who have realized this have very little respect for the frantic cries of lunatics who won't put any personal effort into improving their situation, but rely on complaining in large numbers and try to get everyone to feel sorry for them. I'm sorry, but I don't feel sorry for them. Do they feel bad about the way they treat us? No, 'activists' happily label us in even worse ways. 'Kill all the misogynerds', huh?

I'd like to see some of them do positive things for society, but I can't hear it over all the 'U HATE US!' or see it over the signs they're waving. 'Passable' is an insult? What if CAH had a card about someone who is 'alright, for a nerd'? Would you call them? Would you organize people to write letters, calling it offensive, calling for a ban? If you wouldn't, don't even begin to talk about groups being marginalized.

@another_sam said:

Not retarded, just trolling. Too obvious. 1/10

Not trolling at all. Well, maybe a little. Based on behavior, it sure seems like that's the end goal. It's certainly not "get people to play nicely together" based on their acdtions.

• @another_sam said:

But when was the last time a white guy was choked to death by a black cop on video and acquitted?

If the white guy was choked to death, he's dead. Under our legal system, it would be pretty hard to convict him of anything, regardless of who did the choking.

<pedantry type="grammar">If you reduce that sentence to its fundamentals, it becomes, "But when was the last time a white guy was choked to death by a black cop on video and acquitted?" Thus, your question about acquittal refers to the guy who was choked, not the person doing the choking.</pedantry>

• @HardwareGeek said:

If the white guy was choked to death, he's dead. Under our legal system, it would be pretty hard to convict him of anything, regardless of who did the choking.

hehe

• @Maciejasjmj said:

Oh that's just bullshit. Look, I can come up with about a hundred of jokes about computer nerds. Does that make IT guys a marginalized group? Are they experiencing problems with violence and hate crimes?

You mean you've never gotten wedgies and swirlies from the jocks who now bag your groceries or mix your drinks?

Whoops, forgot the TRIGGER WARNING.

• @boomzilla said:

Sure they did. However, I'd probably have made the same decision as they did, since they're running a business. That doesn't mean I would have liked it. I'll bet the guy who makes the decision to stop the occasional McRib sightings wishes he could let it go on forever, too, but pork prices gonna pork.

Being in business puts one in a position of various chilling effects, and there appears to be a mostly-hammered-out ruleset that one must follow. However, if you've built your brand around offending people, sometimes you seem to be able to get a pass. I haven't heard much noise from the SJW crowd about, say, South Park or The Boondocks, and #CancelColbert seemed to fizzle out once the movement received due scrutiny.

• Who's "they"?

• @FrostCat said:

It's not like I need more reasons.

• Ugh, that article... Trash. Thinly-veiled racist hatred. I feel dirty having read it.

I could say "Heh, Alabama". Or I could demand the video I asked for. Or I could say bad things sometimes happen. Or I could say drugs were involved so it may have been justified, much as Ferguson may have been. Or I could do an analysis of how often it's black-on-white vs white-on-black and point out that racism is systemic.

SJWs. If you're talking to a woman in a bar, and you ask her if she wants to go back to your place, that's not rape, or attempted rape, or on a par with rape, or anything like that. The only reason to claim it is, is to terrify men. (And then to browbeat them because they have lost interest in women.)

This has nothing to do with MRAs, before you bring that up.

@another_sam said:

Or I could do an analysis of how often it's black-on-white vs white-on-black and point out that racism is systemic.

Blah blah blah, racism sexism "transphobia". This seems to tinge everything with you.

@FrostCat said:

Blah blah blah, racism sexism "transphobia". This seems to tinge everything with you.

He certainly seems to be a sensitive little fellow.

• @another_sam said:

Yes and yes and it's far more complicated than that.

I don't know if I can handle complicated. It's been a long day and my small brain has difficulty comprehending things that aren't black and white.

@another_sam said:

Jokes alone probably don't contribute heavily to violence. They are part of a pattern. Friendly jokes become unfriendly jokes (the target of the joke may not see the difference), then rude comments, bullying, then it's all downhill to socially accepted beatings and murders.

There are many levels of racism, yes, and there's a world of difference between making KFC jokes and burning crosses. I would draw the line at bullying, and would suggest that it's probably not a slippery slope because of the frequency at one end of the spectrum compared to the frequency at the other.

@another_sam said:

History disagrees with you. Lynch mobs are far rarer today than they were fifty years ago because it's no longer seen as acceptable to treat people like that even if they have darker coloured skin. Lynching has been illegal for a very long time, yet it continued to happen until social pressure (mostly) stopped it. All-white juries routinely acquitted whites charged with murdering blacks. These days it's a lot less common.

I'm not disputing history. I may be evaluating actions outside of their historical context (by calling violent racism unacceptable), but murder is still murder. If crimes will not be prosecuted and justice will not be served because those responsible for prosecution are racist, what can you do? I don't have any solution to these problems, but I would think any solution is going to require the rule of law.

@another_sam said:

Ignorance is, to varying degrees, present in everyone. Sometimes ignorance leads to embarrassing situations. We should try to improve that situation instead of wallowing in it. You can improve yourself without self-flaggellation.

There's not much I personally can do to address mass ignorance and hate, but I'm doing what I can, namely:

• Not participating in lynch mobs or vigilante "justice"
    • Evaluating people based on the content of their character

Which brings me to my next point...

@another_sam said:

Racism born of malice instead of ignorance is a different matter and much harder to deal with.

My opinion is that there have always been a handful of truly malicious people, and crowd psychology amplifies their intentions. Focusing on the most extreme - the instigators - seems to be the most efficient means of attacking this problem, rather than a blanket campaign that targets even moderates unsympathetic to the extremist cause.

@Intercourse said:

He certainly seems to be a sensitive little fellow.

There's a certain similarity or perhaps congruence with Blakeyrat in that you think you're having a rational conversation and then he says stuff around the bend. Perhaps I'm being slow on the uptake here but I'm beginning to suspect that either I'm being trolled or he really is a diehard SJW.

I mean, he asked about white people being killed by black cops, and I found an example in a matter of seconds with a trivially obvious search, but that's apparently not good enough somehow in a way I can't be bothered to care about, but anyone who thinks that a white cop can kill a black man with impunity but the reverse isn't true is a liar or an idiot or both.

We're dealing with someone who's apparently bought the lie that western civilization is a horrible thing. I wonder if his worldview could handle being confronted by the horror that was Soviet Russia or a modern-day Islamic state (and I don't mean IS[IS/L], but Saudia Arabia or Pakistan.)

@FrostCat said:

but that's apparently not good enough somehow in a way I can't be bothered to care about

Well, any event that someone writes a thinly veiled article about is immediately dismissed from the conversation. That is the Tumblr way.

@FrostCat said:

he really is a diehard SJW

There ya go. That is where I would put my money at.

@Intercourse said:

Well, any event that someone writes a thinly veiled article about is immediately dismissed from the conversation.

If you're going to dismiss the evidence people provide out of hand then you shouldn't even bother asking for it.

@Intercourse said:

There ya go. That is where I would put my money at

I've suspected for a while.

@FrostCat said:

If you're going to dismiss the evidence people provide out of hand then you shouldn't even bother asking for it.

You just asked a SJW to be considerate and to do things that make sense. You may as well ask a tiger to become a vegetarian.

@Intercourse said:

You just asked a SJW to be considerate and to do things that make sense.

Oh, I wasn't actually doing that.

• @another_sam said:

Are you fucking serious?

Look, if you try hard enough, you're gonna find examples for everyone. You know why? Because if someone finds you weak, they'll bully you anyway, regardless of your social group.

Also, what @Magus said.

@Magus said:

We get downright brutal treatment, but we don't spend all our time shouting 'we're being repressed!' We know we don't have to, and that we can succeed and be happy anyway

(except I don't agree that much with "brutal treatment" - yep, there's a stereotype all right, but that hardly matters when you cash in ten times your peers' paycheck).

@Groaner said:

You mean you've never gotten wedgies and swirlies from the jocks who now bag your groceries or mix your drinks?

Whoops, forgot the TRIGGER WARNING.

Umm, no.

Look, I was a weird kid. To the point that if someone tried to bully me, I wouldn't even notice. And then, over time, I developed social skills of a thermonuclear device but still, made some friends, and generally became a fairly normal person.

Some people just don't get past the weird kid phase. Instead, they prefer to blame the world.

http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Dave/bulliesbullyingbullies1.png

• Speaking of the title.

• @boomzilla said:

Sure, but it's not that simple, because you're unlikely to get an entire group to agree. Some probably find the card hilarious and feel marginalized because a card about them got taken out. It's a judgment call and a business decision.

GLAAD recommends not using the word ‘transvestite’ unless a person specifically describes themself that way. AIUI, this typically means that more people have been called that by someone who doesn't like them than the amount of people who call themselves that.

@boomzilla said:

Oh, man, we could go back and forth with this all week!

I know! It's great isn't it?

Much of this thread seems to have been about what the so-called social justice warriors should or shouldn't do, which I suppose is ironic.

• ♿ (Parody)

@another_sam said:

Ugh, that article... Trash. Thinly-veiled racist hatred. I feel dirty having read it.

Huh? It's possible the guy is racist (I have only this article to go on), but I don't see that anything he said there is.

@another_sam said:

Or I could say drugs were involved so it may have been justified, much as Ferguson may have been.

I think you totally missed the point of the article.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Buddy said:

GLAAD recommends not using the word ‘transvestite’ unless a person specifically describes themself that way.

Well, since we're talking about people who don't exist, I think we can safely add the assumption that they describe themselves that way.

@Buddy said:

Much of this thread seems to have been about what the so-called social justice warriors should or shouldn't do, which I suppose is ironic.

I guess. When you become a nuisance, people want you to stop.

• kills Dumbledore

@boomzilla said:

people who don't exist

Are you saying passable transvestites don't exist? With your avatar ⁉