Badge Idea: 2^n badge for topics


  • SockDev

    Paging @PJH

    Idea for badges.

    a 2^n series of badges for topics that are not excluded by that UUID

    basically it's awarding for MAX(posts in non excluded topics where user is OP)



  • Like the Nice Topic series, except Big Topic.


  • SockDev

    exactly my thought!

    and of course restricted and UUID ignored topics are not considered for the badge.



  • I win all the prizes.

    And yet I do not care for prizes.

    Does this rankle you!? Does my use of the word rankle rankle you? Rankle!


  • SockDev

    @boomzilla said:

    Big Topic.

    hmm.... yeah...

    maybe we could have names for the some of the badges.

    Tiny Topic 2^0
    Small Topic 2^4
    Medium Topic 2^6
    Big Topic 2^8
    Bigger Topic 2^10
    Bigest Topic 2^12
    Mega Topic 2^14
    Ultra Topic 2^16
    MegaZord Topic 2^18
    Godzilla Topic 2^19
    Optimus Topicus 2^20



  • Because we don't already have enough unattainable badges.


  • SockDev

    @chubertdev said:

    Because we don't already have enough unattainable badges.

    well theoretically all badges we have are atainable with enough work... altough you can't have all of the % badges at the same time...



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Does this rankle you!?

    Just the opposite, in fact. Well, maybe not exactly opposite, but I would definitely enjoy it a little bit. I might even go on to post in your topics just to award more badges to you.



  • @accalia said:

    and of course restricted and UUID ignored topics are not considered for the badge.

    I think we'd want to expand the restricted versions. The IDEAS / kerbal topics are not there to encourage posting for posting's sake, but they're supposed to prevent a zillion little topics and never die. So we'd want to exclude those from this badge series in addition to the other normal stuff.

    And we might not want to exclude topics in restricted categories, either.



  • I can tell the rankle is there.


  • SockDev

    @boomzilla said:

    The IDEAS / kerbal topics

    well i'd be okay with them being eligable for badges because that would encourage the creation of onw popular thread over a million tiny threads that just die.

    @boomzilla said:

    And we might not want to exclude topics in restricted categories, either.

    hmm.. well yes, but if so it might be a good idea to not show what post the badge is awarded for... otherwise restricted category topic titles would leak...



  • I would enjoy having another reason to sort topics by posts to talk about on meta.d.



  • @boomzilla said:

    kerbal topics

    Hey the Kerbal thread's mine, fuck you.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Hey the Kerbal thread's mine, fuck you.

    And it's a fine topic. But it's the sort of topic that's meant for people to keep posting to, like the IDEAS threads.

    But more importantly, where's the rankle now?



  • You fuck with my topics, I'm gonna rankle the shit out of you.



  • When does my rankle get here?


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @accalia said:

    Tiny Topic 2^0

    There's going to be an awful lot of those...


  • SockDev

    @PJH said:

    There's going to be an awful lot of those...

    there's a lot of 2^0 posters too.

    but actually i was thinking of doing it as not per topic, but agregate.

    MAX(# posts in non excluded topic where user is OP)

    so only your most cuccessful topic is considered for the badges.


  • SockDev

    @boomzilla said:

    When does my rankle get here?

    did you send it via courier or royal mail?


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @blakeyrat said:

    You fuck with my topics, I'm gonna rankle the shit out of you.

    @boomzilla, looks like you rustled his jimmies.



  • @FrostCat said:

    @boomzilla, looks like you rustled his jimmies.

    Where do you figure that rates on the rankleometer?


  • mod

    @boomzilla said:

    I think we'd want to expand the restricted versions. The IDEAS / kerbal topics are not there to encourage posting for posting's sake, but they're supposed to prevent a zillion little topics and never die. So we'd want to exclude those from this badge series in addition to the other normal stuff.

    I don't follow the logic here. The point of these badges would be to reward the OP for coming up with a long lasting or popular topic which doesn't exist primarily for gamifying Discourse. under those guidelines, It makes sense to continue restricting the Likes topic, the status topic, and so forth. But the Kerbal thread would actually be the kind of thread you'd want to give these badges to.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @boomzilla said:

    Where do you figure that rates on the rankleometer?

    Two "shits" and a "fuck". Possibly a "fuck you" as well; that would count as a second "fuck." Probably depends at least partly on whether the welfare office gives him one of those EBT cards where you can buy beer at a strip club, though.



  • @abarker said:

    The point of these badges would be to reward the OP for coming up with a long lasting or popular topic which doesn't exist primarily for gamifying Discourse.

    I'm assuming it also is designed to foster actual conversations, which those "theme" topics don't really do. They're basically long running topics to combine little topics.

    Sure, we divert and so forth, but eventually a particular thread dies down. Maybe these badges would just encourage flamebait or something, but I think the badge would be more meaningful if it excluded those theme topics.


  • mod

    @boomzilla said:

    Sure, we divert and so forth, but eventually a particular thread dies down. Maybe these badges would just encourage flamebait or something, but I think the badge would be more meaningful if it excluded those theme topics.

    Exclude the "idea" topics? I'm ok with that. They don't really have a structured topic anyway.



  • @abarker said:

    Exclude the "idea" topics? I'm ok with that. They don't really have a structured topic anyway.

    Exactly. To my mind, the "share your kerbal crap" is similar, but I'll admit it's more open to debate than the IDEAS threads.


  • SockDev

    @abarker said:

    But the Kerbal thread would actually be the kind of thread you'd want to give these badges to.

    Exactly!

    @abarker said:

    Exclude the "idea" topics? I'm ok with that. They don't really have a structured topic anyway.

    true. but rewarding a topic like Kerbal for being and staying what it weas started to be (a topic to share what we do with KSP) is exactly why i suggested the badges (the fact that Blakey started that thread is just icing on the cake)



  • @accalia said:

    (the fact that Blakey started that thread is just icing on the cake)

    This is perhaps the strongest argument in favor of its inclusion, to my mind.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @accalia said:

    is exactly why i suggested the badges (the fact that Blakey started that thread is just icing on the cake)

    Next up, nonconsensual likes!


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @FrostCat said:

    Next up, nonconsensual likes!

    "You'll like posts, and you'll like it!"

    Insert yo dawg we herd meme here.



  • @FrostCat said:

    nonconsensual likes

    So the Discourse "engine" starts randomly liking posts in whatever thread you happen to be reading if you haven't given out any likes for a sufficiently long period of time?


  • SockDev

    @smallshellscript said:

    So the Discourse "engine" starts randomly liking posts in whatever thread you happen to be reading if you haven't given out any likes for a sufficiently long period of time?

    if it did that blakey would flip his lid.

    I would too come to that!


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @accalia said:

    if it did that blakey would flip his lid.

    I would too come to that!

    No, I think I was originally riffing off of the ideas upthread. I think my idea was that any topic you started, your first post automatically gets liked. Of course that wouldn't actually work because you can't like your own posts--although I thought we could when I first joined, but maybe I'm misremembering.

    Maybe Discourse auto-likes all replies to your posts in topics you start. That would tend to force you into TL3 over time. Although it's not really gamification at that point so Blakeyrat would have to find another objection, or leave the current one as unreasonable, or both, or something else.



  • @accalia said:

    if it did that blakey would flip his lid.

    I would too come to that!

    Of course but by not liking often enough, you're not participating the gamification WTF Discourse, don't you have that in your dictionary yet and thus doing it wrong TM and need to be shown the way.


  • SockDev

    @smallshellscript said:

    WTF Discourse, don't you have that in your dictionary yet

    well the dictionary is your browser dictionary.... so it's not discurses WTF.



  • Ah, so I am TRWTF. Not too surprised. Hang on a sec...

    gamification

    There, added, better. Those little red squiggles under things I know are actually words piss me off way more than they should.


  • SockDev

    should i misqoute Doctor Strangelove here?

    nah. i'll let my spectacular spellar skiils speak for themselfs.

    ... damn that was painful to deliberately type that bad.



  • @accalia said:

    should i misqoute Doctor Strangelove here?

    nah. i'll let my spectacular spellar skiils speak for themselfs.

    ... damn that was painful to deliberately type that bad.

    I thought that it came naturally to you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:


  • SockDev

    oh it does. but it's not healthy to force it. ;-)



  • @accalia said:

    oh it does. but it's not healthy to force it. ;-)

    Very much what she said.


  • SockDev

    @chubertdev said:

    Very much what she said.

    :snap: :snap: and don't you forget it! :snap:



  • @boomzilla said:

    Where do you figure that rates on the rankleometer?

    You haven't even hit "vexed" yet. You're a mile away from registering on the rankleometer.




Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.