Stupid Black Stupid Friday Stupid

• kills Dumbledore

@PJH said:

Nope. They've renamed it again. "Vehicle Tax."

Damnit, I can't keep up with these pointless changes. Did this come in at the same time as they scrapped tax discs?

• @chubertdev said:

then I remembered that I only live once.

What's the difference? Even if you left something for when you came back, how could you claim it?

• @redwizard said:

What's the difference? Even if you left something for when you came back, how could you claim it?

shotgun

• GAU-8

Body is invalid; try to be a little more destructive

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Jaloopa said:

Did this come in at the same time as they scrapped tax discs?

No idea - I just looked it up on a hunch when I saw your post....

• If we're talking about hard to get jet-propelled futuristic vehicles, I'm still waiting for this:

@da_Doctah said:

Are you trying to tell me R2D2 has to pay a tax but C3PO gets off scot free?)

Artoo can take off those wheels and hover or something.

• Alongside 'haz cool mountainz' and animating computer generated faces, jet packs are indeed something NZ is good at. Weird place.

• @Magus said:

animating computer generated faces

For some reason, my brain keeps trying to interpret that as "computer generated fæces".

@Magus said:

something NZ is good at. Weird place.
    Sheep. Don't forget the sheep.

Filed under: Won't somebody think of the sheep?

• @RaceProUK said:

Can always trust Cards Against Humanity to do something so wrong, it's right:http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/11/cards-against-humanity-calls-bull-on-black-friday-sells-cow-feces/

And the last year they raised the price for black friday. Needless to say, they sold a lot too.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

Fucking hell, I've been getting these emails too and they're absolutely insufferable. It's marketing buzzword bullshit at it's worse. It's literally fucking morons blindly regurgitating a word they think people like, and idiots blindly swallowing that re-digested curd thinking they're getting a deal.

The concept is simple: in AMERICA, the Friday after Thanksgiving (which occurs on Thursday, so Friday is a holiday), people go shopping a lot. So stores had sales to encourage this behavior. It (supposedly) pushed store's yearly sales above the red (into black ink). Hence, Black Friday. To compete, stores started having bigger and bigger sales.

But all of that is tied into the culture, holiday schedule and economy of one country.

So marketers came up with the brillant idea of slapping the word "Black" onto every fucking sale like a bunch of cargo cultists drinking cocaine-laced Koolaide. And you get a mix of:

Missing the point of the special sale
    we're going to have a sale this week anyways let's jump on the bandwagon and call it a BLACK SALE OMG!!!

Missing the point of the timing
    BLACK THURSDAY!! BLACK EQUINOX CELEBRATION! BLACK MONDAY!!!!!!

Missing the point of what a day is
    It's our Black Friday Sale, all week long

Further missing the point of timing
    Coming soon, our pre-Black Friday sale event!!!

Not understanding the culture
    We have a Thanksgiving-like celebration, right? Some sort of Fall Harvest. That's why they have the sale, right? BLACK FALL HARVEST SALE!

Not understanding basic accounting terminology
    We're a Canadian store. Canadians identify with the color red. So instead of Black, let's call it Red. Red Friday-- (uhh, doesn't that mean the day when we make so little money our books go into the negatives and we declare bankruptcy?)

Just plain fucking bullshit
    Celebrate Valentines with our Black Friday in February pre-sale week!

• Garbage Person

Best part of Black Friday is that the retailers have figured out that they don't actually need to reduce prices at all. I have tidbits to share in lounge on this topic.

• FoxDev

@Weng said:

the retailers have figured out that they don't actually need to reduce prices at all.

in fact they've figured out that with enough hype they can actually raise prices and get away with it.

@Lorne_Kates said:

We're a Canadian store. Canadians identify with the color red. So instead of Black, let's call it Red. Red Friday

Make the whole month be a sale! Call it Red October…

• I read / heard somewhere that the sales on a "Black Friday" are used to "calculate" the sales over the Holidays (or something). That calculated figure affects certain Stocks and Shares values. So, it would not take a brain scientist very long to figure out somebody, somewhere is thinking "....Hey, if we inflate this, we can buy / sell that low / high..."

• I think we should be encouraging that.

Maybe it will teach people to trust "sales" a little bit less.

I think there should be a government branch dedicated to exploiting irrational behavior in ways that help kill it. For example, selling fake copies of luxury clothes. Conspicuous consumption, not even once.

• BINNED

@anonymous234 said:

I think there should be a government branch dedicated to exploiting irrational behavior in ways that help kill it.

Great, now all we have to do is define irrational behavior. If you think that will be easy, you haven't spent any time in the transphobia thread. 🛂

• FoxDev

@antiquarian said:

you haven't spent any time in the transphobia thread

No i haven't.

I muted it at about 20 posts and added a stylish rule to hide it completely at about 80 posts.

What is it up to now, two hundred posts?

• @accalia said:

Shay is it up to now, two hundred posts?

😆

• BINNED

@accalia said:

What is it up to now, two hundred posts?

It will soon be :over9000.pdf:

@accalia said:

two hundred posts

I think there was a point where the hourly rate was higher than that. I got bored of it and muted it when it became clear it wasn't going anywhere and wasn't going to amuse me enough.

• FoxDev

@antiquarian said:

It will soon be :over9000.pdf:

.... discourse, how long are you going to be stuck at uploading 100%?

seriously?

Uploading...

.... i'm not even going to ask.......

:headdesk:

@dkf said:

I think there was a point where the hourly rate was higher than that.
    what the actual...... i mean goddess bless.... but....

DO NOT WANT!

• Let's see... 5902 posts.

I have no idea what's going on there. I don't think there's any way for an actual discussion to extend beyond something like 500 posts. You could probably discuss every scientific paper on gender identity ever made in that space.

• @Lorne_Kates said:

So marketers came up with the brillant idea of slapping the word "Black" onto every fucking sale like a bunch of cargo cultists drinking cocaine-laced Koolaide. And you get a mix of:

You forgot:

Missing the point of why it's Black Friday.
    The whole "Black Friday" phrase originates from the salespeople, for whom the day after Thanksgiving was purest misery due to the crowds of shoppers. But nope, let's pretend it's really a positive thing and market that.

@loose said:

I read / heard somewhere that the sales on a "Black Friday" are used to "calculate" the sales over the Holidays (or something). That calculated figure affects certain Stocks and Shares values. So, it would not take a brain scientist very long to figure out somebody, somewhere is thinking "....Hey, if we inflate this, we can buy / sell that low / high..."

What amused me most about this was the "early openings": 6 AM on Friday, then 4 AM on Friday, then midnight Friday morning; all trying to get the jump on competitors of course. But a store can't win at that, because if they advertise an opening at 4 AM, all the other stores paying attention to the ads open at 4 AM, too.

So it stalled at midnight for a while, then some brightly shining idiot said, "Really, why can't we open on Thanksgiving, at 6 PM?'" Still can't win: pretty soon it was 2PM and then noon, and now open all day Thanksgiving. The shoppers all go shopping on Thanksgiving because all the high demand low supply items are gone by Friday if you don't shop on Thanksgiving. Not only that but, now, some of the sales are ending midnight Thanksgiving to boot--as noted above, no sales or pretend sales on Black Friday.

So, like you said, they used Black Friday as a reference; now guess what? Everybody shops on Thanksgiving and all the sales end on Thursday, and Black Friday shopping sucks big time. So last year we had stores complaining about Black Friday sales being poor, even as they overall had one of the best seasons ever because of all the Thanksgiving purchases.

Dumb and dumber, from almost every angle.

• BINNED

@anonymous234 said:

I don't think there's any way for an actual discussion to extend beyond something like 500 posts.

It's not an actual discussion. It's two sides talking past each other, with some of the bystanders taking potshots because we have nothing better to do. Also, Poe's Law.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@CoyneTheDup said:

Missing the point of why it's Black Friday.

+9001 likes

• @Maciejasjmj said:

One of the reasons I never got a driver's licence - there's barely any feedback when you go fast, and I was afraid I'll be breaking speed limits every time I take my eye off the speedometer.

Did you try one with manual shifting? It's hard to lose track of your speed on them

• 🚽 Regular

@fbmac said:

Did you try one with manual shifting? It's hard to lose track of your speed on them

Unless you get one like mine with a sportsinsane gearbox. Second covers roughly 10 to 75 MPH for some bizarre reason.

Mine's not far off that but doing 60mph in 2nd is audibly different from 10mph which makes it obvious.
    100mph however is audibly no different from 40mph in 5th.

• @Cursorkeys said:

Unless you get one like mine with a insane gearbox. Second covers roughly 10 to 75 MPH for some bizarre reason.

I can go 104mph in first gear. Sixth is geared to about 215, but it runs out of power short of redline at about 205.

I use the fast idle lever as a cruise control. Sixth gear at high idle is 60mph.

• 🚽 Regular

@Jaime said:

I can go 104mph in first gear. Sixth is geared to about 215, but it runs out of power short of redline at about 205.

I use the fast idle lever as a cruise control. Sixth gear at high idle is 60mph.

What vehicle is that? That sounds very difficult to set off in if the gearing on first is so long, but I guess with those kind of speeds it has bags of torque?

Mine is just an [ST170][1], it's a complete chav-wagon but I love it. For all the odd gearing it will only get to 130 MPH.

Edit: It's a bike? Should have thought more about 'fast idle lever' 😄 [1]: http://www.fordst170.co.uk/

• @Jaime said:

I can go 104mph in first gear.

I can go 104mph in neutral. All I have to do is drive off a bridge.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@da_Doctah said:

I can go 104mph in neutral. All I have to do is drive off a bridge.

On what planet? On Earth, a 4,000lb car would top out at something like 90 mp/h at terminal velocity, nose-down to cut down on air resistance.

@Yamikuronue said:

On Earth, a 4,000lb car would top out at something like 90 mp/h at terminal velocity, nose-down to cut down on air resistance.

A couple of JATO units'll get you right up to 104mph, and then right on past it, until very shortly after you hit the ground.

• What's the terminal velocity of a 4000lb car with a 4000lb explosive tied to the top?

• You should try driving whilst listening to inspirational Classical Music at high volume.

[spoiler] Pro Tip: Try not to conduct with your hands. There are lots of reasons for this but the most important one is to consider what you may look like from the outside. Of all the the things an observer may think, conducting classical music is way down the list - if it is on it at all.

Tech Tip: Having restricted yourself in visible movement (head bobbing is not as bad as arm waving, but it still creates the wrong impression with observers) you are restricted to, essentially, foot tapping. Tapping with your left foot is not going to get you very far very quickly, tapping with your right foot will. But there is the risk of serious delay - and that is what makes it fun in a Russian roulette type of way. [/spoiler]

• @loose said:

Tapping with your left foot is not going to get you very far very quickly,

?

I guess you drive a stick and have a clutch?

• @blakeyrat said:

I guess you drive a stick and have a clutch?

Or he is a strong proponent of left-foot braking ...

• I don't know what you drive (probably an early Ford) but the left foot is going to control the Clutch operating that control will impede any movement of the vehicle.

• @loose said:

I don't know what you drive (probably an early Ford) but the left foot is either going to control the Clutch or the Brake or both.

You use your left foot on the brake? That's the WTF.

OH HEY LOOK while I was typing this you realized how dumb you are and edited your posts, but I hit the quote button first, I win.

• Yeah well, somebody has to feed you

• For the record, there are occasions when I brake with the left foot (in an automatic), especially if I don't want to stall. It's a bit more difficult with a manual, but I play it by ear and even then it's a bit touch and go.

Stalling an automatic is definitely Doing It Wrong™.

• @loose said:

For the record, there are occasions when I brake with the left foot (in an automatic),

Who the fuck taught you how to drive?

@loose said:

especially if I don't want to stall.

I can't even imagine a scenario where braking with the left foot can avoid a stall...

I'm having trouble even imagining a way of stalling an automatic, unless you were actively trying to. And even then...

@loose said:

It's a bit more difficult with a manual, but I play it by ear and even then it's a bit touch and go.

You could need a brake in a manual if you're starting uphill, but the handbrake is traditionally used, because human beings do not have three feet. And even then you don't need the brake, it just helps to avoid some wear-and-tear on the clutch. I usually didn't use it and just resigned myself to a clutch replacement every 80k miles or so.

• Here's the thing: ... Nope... CBA to even begin to explain anything to you. As it is quite clear that you have little capacity to think before, during or after typing (or even understand the concept of self criticism / editing) . But just to give you a flavour: I have driven (and do drive) with my left foot controlling the accelerator - for similar reasons I practise writing with my sinister hand, along with other tasks. Mind you, now cruise control is more common, I only have to ensure I stay between the (right) white lines. As a bonus, I can image I'm playing a video game rather than enduring reality.

The last Road Traffic Accident I was involved in was over ten years ago and that was when somebody rear-ended me. I have narrowly avoided several accidents because I retained control of the vehicle after rapid deceleration. On the three occasions when I have had an accident, no amount of braking or control would have avoided it. One was when somebody thought they could cross the road (a major urban limit dual carriageway) ahead of me - and would have done that but they were driving an automatic and it stalled before they cleared my side of the road. I was already breaking heavily at the time. The other two were the result of somebody (a HGV and a car) deciding to change lanes as I was passing them. The HGV was fun: he caught my rear end and flipped my car across the font of his truck. I was then pushed along the motorway sideways for several hundred yards. I was lucky my car did not roll with the truck driving over me.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@fbmac said:

One of the reasons I never got a driver's licence - there's barely any feedback when you go fast, and I was afraid I'll be breaking speed limits every time I take my eye off the speedometer.

Yeah, if you can't judge roughly how fast you're going by visual cues alone (let alone responsive feedback from the wheel, or haptic feedback from vibrations), you shouldn't be driving.

@ben_lubar said:

What's the terminal velocity of a 4000lb car with a 4000lb explosive tied to the top?

Surely it depends on a number of factors including the atmospheric pressure, the aerodynamicity of the vehicle, and whether or not there are any accelerators on the car (e.g., JATO unit).

@blakeyrat said:

OH HEY LOOK while I was typing this you realized how dumb you are and edited your posts, but I hit the quote button first, I win.

So let me get this straight, you object to the gamification of forumpointzzzz, but you love the gamification of collecting assholepointzzzz?

@blakeyrat said:

I can't even imagine a scenario where braking with the left foot can avoid a stall.

It's not a normal scenario, but I used to have a car with something wrong with a sensor or something, that had a tendency to stall at idle. Until I got it fixed I had to press the gas pedal a little bit at red lights to keep the engine above idle speed, which meant I needed my left foot for the brake.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@FrostCat said:

assholepointzzzz

DICKSXXX!