Stupid Black Stupid Friday Stupid



  • I live in the UK. Why is every company bombarding me with emails about Black Friday now? I've had emails from:

    Fitocracy
    Gourmet Society
    Nectar
    Amazon
    Argos
    Musicroom Card
    IKEA

    and two different software companies.

    I can somewhat understand Amazon introducing it as they're so multinational, but why does every company in the UK feel the need to copy them?


  • sockdevs

    @Keith said:

    I can somewhat understand Amazon introducing it as they're so multinational, but why does every company in the UK feel the need to copy them?

    because in 'Murica Black friday is traditionally a very big day for Xmas shopping and they want to have proper brits splash a crap tonne of cash, so they chose to emulate the 'Murican holiday as an excuse to try to entrice you to spend money because OMG! Santa is coming soon!



  • Police had to be called to seven branches of Tesco because of Black-Friday-crazed morons. Someone had to be taken to hospital, it got that violent. And that was just in Greater Manchester.

    I heard this on the radio news at 9am.

    If only there was a place where one could bag all the Black Friday bargains they want from the safety and comfort of their own home...



  • When has America ever done something that we don't eventually copy on this side of the pond?


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    You can probably configure discourse to do that somehow. Might have to disable the bugtracker for it to work probably.

    Filed under : Okay okay, I'll stop with that joke, sorry



  • @accalia said:

    because in 'Murica Black friday is traditionally a very big day for Xmas shopping and they want to have proper brits splash a crap tonne of cash, so they chose to emulate the 'Murican holiday as an excuse to try to entrice you to spend money because OMG! Santa is coming soon!

    https://twitter.com/RaceProUK/status/538240991107768320



  • Oh good, I'm glad other people find it annoying too.



  • In Spain is pretty much the same, with the added difficulty that most Spaniards have no idea of what the words "Friday" nor "black" means nor why it's "Black Friday" since we don't celebrate Thanksgiving.

    BTW, today is teachers day.



  • I wonder how many poor souls will get trampled to death this year. Security guards and employees should receive hazard pay.



  • There's a Southpark episode which depicts this quite well. Mix it with George R.R. Martins love for cocks, and it's a pretty funny episode.

    Season 18 Episode 1 or 2.



  • @CarrieVS said:

    When has America ever done something that we don't eventually copy on this side of the pond?

    Put a right to bear arms in its Constitution?



  • @flabdablet said:

    Put a right to bear arms in its Constitution?

    There aren't enough bears in this country to make it worthwhile.



  • Because your culturally bankrupt nation has nothing left except ripping-off the US at every opportunity?



  • @CarrieVS said:

    When has America ever done something that we don't eventually copy on this side of the pond?

    I believe 'American Football' is one.

    And no, the NFL potentially expanding into Britain does not count. That's the original coming over, not a copy being made. :stuck_out_tongue:



  • @CarrieVS said:

    When has America ever done something that we don't eventually copy on this side of the pond?

    Ban Kinder Surprise™ eggs and treat people like drug smugglers for bringing one in your bag?



  • @flabdablet said:

    Put a right to bear arms in its Constitution?

    We'd need a Constitution first...
    @blakeyrat said:
    Because your culturally bankrupt nation has nothing left except ripping-off the US at every opportunity?

    Remind me, what is the tune to 'My Country 'Tis Of Thee'?



  • It's

    day!



  • @RaceProUK said:

    Remind me, what is the tune to 'My Country 'Tis Of Thee'?

    Right; 300 fucking years ago, or whenever that shit was penned, your country was not culturally bankrupt. Now it is. See how that works?



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Right; 300 fucking years ago, or whenever that shit was penned, your country was not culturally bankrupt. Now it is. See how that works?

    From a resident of a country where people cheer when a guy drives a truck over a small pile of dirt...



  • @RaceProUK said:

    From a resident of a country where people cheer when a guy drives a truck over a small pile of dirt...

    I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.



  • Very off-topic but as your handle is RaceProUK and your Twitter is full of motorsports (and that I'm a nosy bastard) are you involved with motorsports for your day job?
    I only ask because I help with jet-powered drag things, good way to put electronics and firmware to use!



  • @Cursorkeys said:

    Very off-topic but as your handle is RaceProUK and your Twitter is full of motorsports (and that I'm a nosy bastard) are you involved with motorsports for your day job?

    Sadly no; I work on accountancy software for a living.

    But I do watch a fair amount of motorsport, and play plenty of racing games.



  • @RaceProUK said:

    Sadly no; I work on accountancy software for a living.

    I design consumer electronics for a living. If there was any way I could swap without doing another degree I'd switch over like a flash.
    Speed is seriously addicting, especially if you're unsure if the engine you're nearly hugging is going to behave itself.



  • @Cursorkeys said:

    Speed is seriously addicting, especially if you're unsure if the engine you're nearly hugging is going to behave itself.

    And that is why I'll never ride a motorcycle...I'd lose track of my speed too easily.



  • @chubertdev said:

    motorcycle

    I really wanted one until a colleague at work killed himself shortly after finishing his masters and then about a year later my father nearly killed himself and had a serious hospital stay. Drag is good fun though, you have a full impact cage and just have to keep going in a straight line :smile:



  • I drive a BMW, I don't like straight lines...



  • @chubertdev said:

    And that is why I'll never ride a motorcycle...I'd lose track of my speed too easily.

    For me, it's exactly the oposite.

    I could hardly call my motorcycle a motorcycle - it was a 50cc Simson bike - but while it only did 60kph downhill, you did feel that 60kph all over you (more so because it was a two-stroke, and even more so because it was really wonky).

    I drove a car once, doing 90kph on a narrow dirt road and was like "meh, I guess it's fast?". One of the reasons I never got a driver's licence - there's barely any feedback when you go fast, and I was afraid I'll be breaking speed limits every time I take my eye off the speedometer.



  • I sold mine after hitting a car that didn't stop in a STOP!

    And yes, once you make it to 300kmh in an autobahn, everything feels slow.



  • Yeah, I had a Hyundai Sonata, then upgraded to a BMW. Had issues where I'd look down at the speedo in the bimmer, and I'd be doing 100mph without even feeling it. Then I'd switch back to the Sonata, and it felt like I was going warp speed at 50.



  • The worst Black Friday was in Gotham



  • @accalia said:

    because in 'Murica Black friday is traditionally a very big day for Xmas shopping and they want to have proper brits splash a crap tonne of cash, so they chose to emulate the 'Murican holiday as an excuse to try to entrice you to spend money because OMG! Santa is coming soon!

    Typically a lot of people do their Christmas shopping quite late these days, while part of it is emulating things that happen on the wrong other side of the pond, it also is a handy way for shops to get peoples money from them sooner then they would otherwise.
    I just don't get why people are willing to go so crazy to save a few quid off the price of a TV which was probably subject to a price increase recently just so it could be reduced. Hell - in this (see video) type of madness do you really have time to even pay consideration to what you're buying?
    Black friday Kick off in Tesco Baguley – 00:48
    — Lord Smish

    No. You buy it just because it's cheaper than it might have been once. And that's fucking crazy.

    Or even here (specifically chosen because I've been in this shopping centre at least once every day this week) where they're joining a massive queue at some silly hour to buy a shitty cheap TV which is both shitty and cheap the rest of the year.
    Black Friday madness at Dudley's Merry Hill shopping centre – 00:40
    — ExpressandStarNews


  • sockdevs

    @loopback0 said:

    And that's fucking crazy.

    why do you think i spent doday playing Mass Effect (the first one. i'm trying to get a save where i save kaiden; hopefully i remember that wehn i get to virmire.)



  • I haven't ever bought anything on Black Friday except for food/drinks and hockey tickets.



  • @Maciejasjmj said:

    I drove a car once, doing 90kph on a narrow dirt road and was like "meh, I guess it's fast?". One of the reasons I never got a driver's licence - there's barely any feedback when you go fast, and I was afraid I'll be breaking speed limits every time I take my eye off the speedometer.

    Reminds me of this:

    My first everyday car was a Ford Tempo (now I know where "Fix Or Repair Daily" comes from). Got used to the feel of that car at various speeds. So imagine my surprise on the day I traded it in for a new Nissan Sentra, I found myself going 60 in a 40 - so naturally, I braked to slow down. Too late - suburban cop had already clocked me and pulled me over. Female cop to boot. When I tried to explain the "still getting used to the new car" thing, she looked at me and said sternly: "and that's why you hit the brakes right when I pulled out after you?"

    Some days there's no winning, even when it is the truth. :-(



  • Don't forget "Found On Road Dead" and the other hundreds :laughing:



  • @loopback0 said:

    I just don't get why people are willing to go so crazy to save a few quid off the price of a TV which was probably subject to a price increase recently just so it could be reduced. Hell - in this (see video) type of madness do you really have time to even pay consideration to what you're buying?

    ...and this is why I avoid shopping centers like The Plague on Black Friday. The other sheep lemmings can trample each other all they want, I want no part of it.

    Sad thing is, I have to work today! :-(

    @chubertdev said:

    hockey tickets.

    +1



  • It's across the road from the office I was in so ended up going there to get lunch. Wasn't as busy as I expected but it was lunch time so assume the nutters had already been and fucked off.



  • @redwizard said:

    +1

    Back when I lived on the east coast, I'd go to the Boston Bruins matinee game on Black Friday at noon, then drive down to their AHL affiliate, the Providence Bruins, for a game at 7pm. It was Black and Gold Friday for me. :grinning:



  • @redwizard said:

    ...and this is why I avoid shopping centers like The Plague on Black Friday.

    "The Plague" isn't a very appealing name for a shopping center.



  • @chubertdev said:

    Don't forget "Found On Road Dead" and the other hundreds

    Ford is nice in that they draw an oval around all the problems.



  • Apparently someone (or some people) is/are keeping track of fatalities:


  • mod

    @accalia said:

    Santa is coming soon!

    Oh yeah! I still need to put steel shutters on my windows!




  • sockdevs

    @Groaner said:

    Apparently someone (or some people) is/are keeping track of fatalities:

    Not affiliated with a certain site, with a strikingly similar layout, touting Cyber Monday death counts. Spoiler: there aren't any!

    :laughing: that's funny!



  • @abarker said:

    Oh yeah! I still need to put steel shutters on my windows!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mMaRmMthWQ

    Edit: Why do people who make these videos never use a fucking spellchecker? Or even a spellchecker that isn't fucking?





  • @Keith said:

    I can somewhat understand Amazon introducing it as they're so multinational, but why does every company in the UK feel the need to copy them?

    The funny part is that Black Friday is almost dead here in the US. It has never been the busiest shopping day of the year, that's usually the last Saturday before Christmas. The early morning sales and "big event"-ness of it are being diluted by Internet shopping and store opening hours moving to Thursday. You guys are welcome to have it.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

    Surely you're used to that by now?



  • @Cursorkeys said:

    Drag is good fun though, you have a full impact cage and just have to keep going in a straight line

    Still goes wrong occasionally.



  • I did 70mph on a driving lesson down the dual carriage way and I was bloody bricking it, but it was a 1.3 diesel corsa.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.