FreeRADIUS is TRWTF

• FoxDev

BSON has it's advantages, it's easier to manipulate if you're already dealing with binary data streams and it's a bit more resilient to things like code page chages than JSON is (that unicode BOM is evil!)

• FoxDev

@Gaska said:

Sounds like kind of very poor ZIP implementation without space nor time efficiency in mind. Definitely not easier to parse than JSON (not counting having numbers as numbers, not text, because one atoi() call less isn't significant enough improvement).

Obviously you missed the part where it supports some datatypes JSON doesn't...

• Java Dev

Why would you define a format where some, but not all, variable-length items have a dedicated length field?

• FoxDev

I wouldn't, but now that it's been defined... well i can laugh at it, no?

• Banned

@accalia said:

BSON has it's advantages, it's easier to manipulate if you're already dealing with binary data streams and it's a bit more resilient to things like code page chages than JSON is (that unicode BOM is evil!)

And how does it compare to non-textual formats? Because it's obvious obviousness that binary format is better than textual format in absolutely every way except when you want to manually read/write data.

@RaceProUK said:

Obviously you missed the part where it supports some datatypes JSON doesn't...

I actually checked what types it supports. They are: integer, date, and binary data (byte array). First two can be stored in JSON Number. The last can be either stored as object (by splitting the binary blob into meaningful fields) or as string (Base64 and such). There's nothing you can do in BSON that you can't do in JSON. It's more efficient, yes, but isn't more powerful. Kinda like C# and Brainfuck.

BSON doesn't seem to be useful in any field for me - by which I mean, for every use case there are better alternatives. BSON's main selling point (except "being JSON but better") is arbitrary structure. It's not very useful when dealing with binary data, and introduces performance overhead which you could have avoided if you just defined your data format (for example, by using Protocol Buffer).

• @FrostCat said:

Yamikuronue:
    Gherkin means.

It means it's got such a stupid and obviously-mockable name nobody should use it.

I'm just surprised that nobody has removed the 'i' and turned it into some kind of social media / pickled cucumber 3.0 service.

• FoxDev

@DCRoss said:

I'm just surprised that nobody has removed the 'i' and turned it into some kind of social media / pickled cucumber 3.0 service.

Probably because people would pronounce the resultant word as 'gherkun'

• You're not thinking Enterprisey enough.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16" standalone="yes"?>
    <bson>
      <bson-content>
        <![CDATA[
    /9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQEAYABgAAD/2wBDAAgGBgcGBQgHBwcJCQgKDBQNDAsLDBkSEw8UHRofHh0aHBwgJC4nICIsIxwcKDcpLDAxNDQ0Hyc5PTgyPC4zNDL/2wBDAQkJCQwLDBgNDRgyIRwhMjIyMjIyMjIyMjIyMjIyMjIyMjIyMjIyMjIyMjIyMjIyMjIyMjIyMjIyMjIyMjIyMjL/wAARCABwAMgDASIAAhEBAxEB/8QAGwAAAQUBAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAABAACAwUGAQf/xABDEAABAwIDBAQJCgUEAwAAAAABAAIDBBEFEiEGMUFREyJhsRQycXOBkaHB0SMlMzVCQ1JicrIVFiQ04VNUY5OCosL/xAAaAQACAwEBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQIDBQQG/8QAJBEAAgIBAwQDAQEAAAAAAAAAAAECEQMEITESIkFRExQyBSP/2gAMAwEAAhEDEQA/AMLhn1VR+YZ+0Iu6Cw0/NdJ5ln7QiwV3JbGTL9MeCnZimLt0qIkmZOB7VDcLt0UFEjmMkZle1rhycLoKXBsPlljDocge8Alhtb3IsO5pSHqW4/Z8vBVzVxZZibjNAc2xsJF4Kt7Ox7Q7usq2q2fr8OYZW1MWQcRJk77LYtc8vaC4B1hdo1A+CxW01DWwVrp5XySwOPUedzezsWfDJO6s3suOCjdEDanEYm3v0jeYAcPWFNDjRa61RDcfkOU+26lwbYrHMbwyTEqGJnRR3ylz8rnkbw1VbcSq4CY58s4BsWTtDrdlzqF0rLNHJUfJooMXwWT6Z1ZF/wCDXD2FWcNXsu8DNiMzT+ZpH/ygaLCMMxOCObwfo2vZe8Tzv4ixvZPfsdSu1jqpW/qAd8Evt+yz60mrRfU0WzkovHWRSfqmt8EU6fAqHQCAutcBozn1rGy7HStF46yM/rYR7ygnbMV7SbGFzeDs+h9isWrj7IvTz9G5k2mhZdtPTEtG65A9gQUm0la89QRsHY2/esl/L2LN0Yxrv0Sj4pv8Cxr/AEJP+0fFT+zAj8E/RpJcZrHC8lW5o7CGqvnxmMfSVb3nkHEqr/lvFnC5pT6ZG/FL+WsW/wBr/wC7fiovUxGsMvRJJjtieiY6/MuQ0mM1ryLTFhG4tJuPSiG7L4ofuG/9gTm7K4pfWOIeWQKuWaMluyccUlukFUG2WI0tm1BbUx8cws71j3rW4btLh2J5Wsk6KU/dyaH0cCslHsfVut0lRCwdlyio9jW/eVjj+mO3vXDlw4J7rZnXiyZYmxr4opKYh7GvJIDb8ydElW4bTuw8MjlqZ5YWG7S83ym1vUkuF9cHSbOxdMt2jL4b9V0nmWftCKB1QeGn5spPMs/aEWvUrhHkJcseHWXbqNOugjQ9JNBXbpAOVvhNAJGirmG/6NpHDmqunjbPVQwu3PeAfJvK17WhrbAaBcWqyV2o09BgUu9jHRgNOVjLnmEI+k6SIhwD2nQtLbD1I+/BcdG1/jX03WNlwGuC0VRWYRSup6KZ1PTm5yBoLWk7yLjRZZmxlJWVpkNRUOaHZpS63WJ4blr3sjhaZMt3Ddc3JPLVOpwBHYODidXEHeVJTkvJB44PlDKWip6KBsNPCyOMcGhDzNaJnZQNd9kVPJkbpvKCJvqVBssSI+iBdmd1jwvuCTHlw6wAPJTMbmcBzThTNe8tddrx4rggZldosakoWiGKlAe8X6SRujfRzWVpqzFJqlkVLUVT5pHWayNxJceQAXrIYyePwepja5wGocLgjmELSYNTYXikeJUMEcdRHfKQNNRbduVsJxSpo5smOUnaZgqnEdpcEnENd4RDJa4ZUR7x6VPBtrVtPy9NFIObSWn3rSbdnFtpXUuSmgDKdp0a6znE7zrw7LrDu2excH+xk9Fj71avjkU/6x2NthePU2JxF7WOiLTZwdrb0q1Guo3LC4LQ4xhVe2Y0ErondWRumo9a2+dsbQMhaLaAdyoyJJ7HTjlKS7uSSy6oxPHexOUncHC1/WpFAsGpLtkkElZicOPzbSeZZ+0IoOKEw76spfMs7giVvLhHl5Ldjsy7dMSugjRIHJ4cCobrocgdBlC+2JUp/wCS3rBC2AWFZIY5Y5ACS17XWHGxW3jBcBIQRcaA8Fm6xd6Zsfz32ND7Lp0Ca97Y25nmwQlQyoq4XsYOjaRpc2JXIaBJEBVXlc7My5DAN3K6kFO1urSW+QqjjxKbDpHU88RaA45eViiHY4HDSNyBBtWXBwsBuQgM1iS1vkuhP4zE95Frn9QujIahk7btPlHJRZIfTSiVwLQbgi4VmWNcQSNQqalBa1sjD1mOd6Rc6K4ilbNGHtOncmJikibIBe4INwRvCaHSRiz2l4/E33hSpIERiWF29zb8naH2prhTDUlg9KnS3cEADWhLm2YCxw0cDx5Jk9K0tJABHFpCLDQCSABfeuoHuVDYQzjdhHiHVPupJmZH24JlkhpDQ9pe5l+s3eEkPKMmJQPH22OafRYj3pJjMfhzrYbSi33LO4IjOULh/wBXUvmmdwRC3U9jy8uWOzJXTUrp2JIffRdBUdyu3slZJIu8BofCJ/CH/RxnQc3LSl3WLWakb+xB0FP4JhcTG6PIBP6ip5p2UjALFziRoN5JNtVkZpuc7N3T41jgkEb96co2S9QF+VruQddPDg7cQfIqqLrRDVUkVXEWSMB5FZ52Fuif0cbg5vady0skhjynKS3iRwQvgxkndI24bawzCyRJFP8AwrM2znNtysnwYdJA+4nsN3VbqrfwR/MJCkeTqRZAweKLKwMYDopOimhd0jAQeI3go2ONsYsB6U9FCbIGVcbnBj/k3ng7j5Cp010bJG2e1rgeBCi8HMTfkHlvJrjdv+PQmInSXGlxaC4WPEXXUgEkoaipipY88rw0cLneqyXHIzpG17h+UW70DsOqSHOACgeWtaXOIAG8lVpxGeS/RQWPN13LopamrcDUPIYNbf4QMdE81deHtHycY0JSRsULIGZWCw70kgowNA4jDqbzTe4IgFC0J+b6bzTe4Ke4W4uDzcluSXSzJgKSYqJMwsiKCIVFfBEdzni/k3oRW2zjA/F2kjxWOPu96ryy6YNl2GPVkSNjkBaAeBukXRxSRyyMzMbIwvFr9UEXT1zMMwaTqdwWQnubjVqjdQUlJGM0NPC2/FjALp1Rh9LVtyzQMdyNrEelYWOaSM/JSvZw6jyO5FRYpXw2yVcptwec3euhZo+Ucr08vDLmXZZhfeCrcxv4XszW9Nwo3bLS/ZrW37Yv8qGHaarZpNDFKPy3afej4dpaZw+ViljPYMw9ia+JifzRKmowKvguQ1krebND6lWE5XljgWvG9rhYrc0+J0dW4NhqGOP4b2PqOqlqKKlrIyyeFkg7Qh4Yv8iWeUdpIwSSv6zZd7LvoZgRwil9zvjdVEtBWU4PT0sjLcbZh6wqZY5I6YZYy8g6S7bfa9+VlAZzHOIZo3tLgC12U5Tfd5FCmWdSZNuBKQIcARqCuhRxdUvj4NOnkSAgq2NLmlzQT2hCtbGdzRp2I2qF2tKAp3X6QfheQkyVEySSSQCSSSQB5zRH5vpvNN7gp7oai/sKfzTe4Ke63VwedfI/MuhyZddQCQ66utmSBiTyTa0R7wqWNj5ZGsjaXPdoABqVtMGwRtA3ppjnncNeTexc+pmlCjq0uNufV6LgKOZjHxkSGw53tb0qRLes016KCRuIQzkw1XSDh1m6+W6mjxKuYbS0zZP0HX2XVyuOY1+jmgjtCAoAZjFNulD4ncnNRcVXTz26OZjjyB1TZqWJ7LZdOVrj1KtmwqB/0fUPNvvHBAqLkgO3gHyouDEq2mAEVTIAODjmHqKx5fiNAOrK7JwPjtKsqDFm1ADJ8sclt99D5E02uBOKfKNnTbTytsKqAO/NEbew/FWsOO4dKBeoEZPCQZe/RYsWXC5oNswvyVizSXJTLBF8GwxDHKanhPg8kc0x8UNdcDtKyUznVD3PmcXPc7M4niU1JRnNyJY8Sgcc7K0mxNuATY2kAud4ztSpFxQLSCp8VoVXSu/qalp4PVhUOu8DkFV0h/r6ntKiSD0kkkgEkkkgDzei/sKfzTe5ToejP9DT+ab3BT30ut1cHnmtzq6Lk2AJJ3AImlw2srGh0MJyH7bjYK5w/AJIK6nlnljNnXyNudwvvTnGSg5VwTxxUpKJa4JhTcOpellANQ8XcbeKOSshI9zuWl7cgpS0ObY7kg0Akjed6xpycnbNqMVFUhNdmaCOK6kkok0JJJJA7OqCeHMMzd4U4SSArgS0ki1zv7fKmCgoqokmMxv4gHREVEeV1xxQ4NjodQlYBUOHU0AsxrvS89yJDQ0WaAB2ISOqLRZwuiWTMeND607FQ9JcuOYXC9rd7gEwoco5ZRG3tTH1LWg5ASUDLUOdd3RyOdyASsdDaupEMLnnVx0A7UPhkZDHyO3u4pgpZ6qUPqOq0bmgqwYxsbA1osBuSAckuOF0gLIoCOpf0dLK4HUMNklDiJtQy9ot7UkAf//Z]]>
      </bson-content>
    </bson>

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@flabdablet said:

I am completely convinced that only a designer who has never once in their entire miserable existence enjoyed dealing with a well-designed, well-documented config file could ever choose to force a user to hand-edit XML.

Remember, I'm dealing with something rather more complicated than Make, so some genuine complexity is to be expected. I suppose it would have been possible to use JSON or YAML for things, but that's not really that much simpler.

• JSON is streets ahead of XML for comprehensibility, though, and allows for a sane and unobtrusive way to insert comments.

@flabdablet said:

JSON is streets ahead of XML for comprehensibility

Not really sure I agree. I've seen my colleagues' JSON… (and yes, they do write JSON-LD and JSON Schema.)

• Okay. Now contemplate XML equivalents written by the same people.

Doesn't bear thinking about, does it?

• FoxDev

@dkf said:

Not really sure I agree. I've seen my colleagues' JSON… (and yes, they do write JSON-LD and JSON Schema.)

Write JSON‽ 😆

@flabdablet said:

Okay. Now contemplate XML equivalents <em>written by the same people.</em>

Doesn't bear thinking about, does it?

I don't need to. I've seen it too. (I usually just think about the model-tree that the document encodes; XML isn't that bad after all, as it isn't ASN.1…)

@RaceProUK said:

Write JSON‽

Yes. Why is this so odd? It's a text format, so you can write it with a text editor. 😛

• FoxDev

@dkf said:

@RaceProUK said:
    Write JSON‽

Yes. Why is this so odd? It's a text format, so you can write it with a text editor. 😛

No-one should be handwriting JSON; just call $.serialize() (or equivalent) on the object 😛

@RaceProUK said:

No-one should be handwriting JSON; just call $.serialize() (or equivalent) on the object 😛

But then I'd have to write JS…

• FoxDev

@dkf said:

But then I'd have to write JS…

I did say 'or equivalent'; I'm sure, no matter what language you use, someone's written a JSON serialiser 😛
    I know for a fact there's one in .NET; I've used it myself.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Of course, the craziness is that all this discussion about text file formats kinda misses the BIG POINT...

Why in the eff are we still configuring software with user edited text files in 2014?!?! IMO, It should be considered a WTF of biggest severity to expect your users to manually edit a text file of any format for configuration. Store the options in a flat file if you need to, but for the love of $diety, give the user a GUI or a step-through TUI to configure the options.

@izzion said:

IMO, It should be considered a WTF of biggest severity to expect your users to manually edit a text file of any format for configuration.

If the users are programmers, we're going to require them to do everything through some GUI tool? Are you sure you're not Blakey with a fake Groucho moustache on? (I was talking about configuring a build system, not a recipe organiser.)

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

If it's a build script or something like that, I can see the text config files (though, being a Windows WeenieTM I'm still of the opinion that graphical installers are better).

But my complaint is with text configuration files (Redmine & most other Rails apps i've seen, MediaWiki, FreeRADIUS, etc) for things that are already installed. Especially for the ones like Redmine & MediaWiki that have web page front ends for the end users anyway!

@izzion said:

If it's a build script or something like that, I can see the text config files (though, being a Windows WeenieTM I'm still of the opinion that graphical installers are better).

Actually, one of the structured text files is the config for the tool that builds the graphical installers. The real end-users don't need to read text files; they're given a GUI (that's what one of our products is) but the config of our build system has to live on disk somewhere in some format, and there's little point in using a GUI for something like that. (There are GUIs for some Maven config files, but they suck as they don't cope with just how complicated things get for real. Editing XML is easier than bludgeoning the GUI tool into submission.)

The more complex the configuration, the harder it is to write a GUI for and the fewer people are likely to want to get involved. You quite quickly reach the point where the GUI is a net loss once you're working with software not for the mass market; the cost to produce the GUI tool exceeds the effort that the tool saves over a reasonable period (e.g., 10 years).

• I know I'm late to the game, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut:

The Apache HTTP Server Project is an effort to develop and maintain an
    open-source HTTP server for modern operating systems including UNIX and
    Windows NT. The goal of this project is to provide a secure, efficient and
    extensible server that provides HTTP services in sync with the current HTTP
    standards.

BUT WHAT IS HTTP!? HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW?!

For comparison, RADIUS has been around as long as HTTP. /cue blakeyrant about Apache...

• I use httpd for my Windows laptop "server" at home. I thought that it uses Voodoo, so I assume that the "H" stands for Haiti.

• @flabdablet said:

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it stop whinnying "what the fuck is WATER!!?!eleven"

Apparently you haven't tried a running hose and lots of duct tape...even makes him drink too!

Is that a server like at the bar? Will she bring some more pretzels?

• ♿ (Parody)

@VaelynPhi said:

BUT WHAT IS HTTP!? HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW?!

+ᐬ

@VaelynPhi said:

/cue blakeyrant about Apache...

Damnit, didn't we do enough to them in the 19th century‽

• @boomzilla said:

Damnit, didn't we do enough to them in the 19th century‽

Reminds me of when "Run To The Hills" came on in the car this previous Thursday.......had to laugh at the irony.