I'm gonna play Skyrim!

• @algorythmics said:

Skyrim is a first person game.

Keyboard and mouse are infinitely better at controlling that sort of game.

No; if the game was designed with controllers in mind, you're better off using an controller.

The only possibly reason for keyboard + mouse being "better" is for competitive games. But 1) that assertion is entirely untested, and 2) Skyrim is single-player.

• Generally speaking, when I see someone play a first-person game using a gamepad, I rarely see them aim the camera much while moving. They'll do some, snapping to a new position occasionally. Having tried it myself, I can see why this happens. In third-person games, the camera can adjust a bit based on your movement, which helps considerably.

Then there's the fact that almost all first-person games that use a gamepad force some kind of aim-assist. Overall, I have a hard time taking anyone seriously who thinks a gamepad is on par with mouse and keyboard for first person gaming.

Now, if you have entered a War§ow tournament with a gamepad and been capable of doing anything, I might be able to accept that 'untested' is meaningful in this case. But no one would do that. They don't need to test it. It's stupid.

But as for Skyrim, it might be fine with a gamepad. It wouldn't surprise me at all. As you said, it's single-player.

• @blakeyrat said:

The only possibly reason for keyboard + mouse being "better" is for competitive games. But 1) that assertion is entirely untested

Actually, it's not untested. The company that tested it was this completely unknown company named "Microsoft."

• If speed and accuracy are very important to the game design (as in competitive FPS games) you need a mouse.

Otherwise pads are fine. Playing Far Cry 4 with a pad, aim assist off, and it's perfect (for me anyway).

• The best part is, there are plenty of people who play something like CoD on console and think they know what competitive FPS is like.

But, for the sake of science, I think I'm going to try playing Warsow with my gamepad, just to see if i can make it at all playable.

Of course, I have heard of someone playing it with a steering wheel. Probably a race map, though. And I can imagine proper strafejumping with a wheel, but getting the right angles with a gamepad seems much harder.

• @Magus said:

Generally speaking, when I see someone play a first-person game using a gamepad, I rarely see them aim the camera much while moving.

Ok? So your friends are bad at games.

@Magus said:

Then there's the fact that almost all first-person games that use a gamepad force some kind of aim-assist.

Then a blatant lie. (Well, maybe not blatant, maybe you're just utterly ignorant.)

@KillaCoder said:

Otherwise pads are fine. Playing Far Cry 4 with a pad, aim assist off, and it's perfect (for me anyway).

No! You can't turn aim-assist off! ALL CONTROLLER GAMES HAVE AIM-ASSIST! MAGUS HIMSELF SAID SO!

@Magus said:

But, for the sake of science, I think I'm going to try playing Warsow with my gamepad, just to see if i can make it at all playable.

Yeah but... you're an idiot, so that really wouldn't convince me of anything. Powerlord's link is better, but he started his post with "actually," so I ignored it.

• Look, if you can hit someone in Warsow at 900+ ups while they're below you or behind you, even if they're a bot, you may have a case for gamepads being a sane choice for FPS.

It might work while sniping in CoD, but being good for boring things in boring games doesn't make a gamepad 'good for FPS'.

• @Magus said:

Look, if you can hit someone in Warsow at 900+ ups while they're below you or behind you, even if they're a bot, you may have a case for gamepads being a sane choice for FPS.

I don't even know what the fuck Warsow (or War§ow, you've spelled it two different ways here) is, nor do I give a shit. Now do I know the significance of "900+ ups". (And, again: do not give a shit.)

ALL I'M SAYING IS: if the game is designed to be used with a mouse/keyboard, use a mouse/keyboard. If the game is designed to be used with a controller, use a controller. IT'S FUCKING SIMPLE, PEOPLE!

• Ah, so your shoulder aliens told you that I disagree with this. Alright, then.

• WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU DEBATING ME IF YOU AGREE WITH ME you fucking pi-- ugh I'm out of here, fuck this.

• Well, you could have realized that I was talking about your assertion that using a gamepad in competitive FPS was worthless because it was untested.

I mean, no sane developer pits console players against PC players. Yes, that's partly because PC players tend toward higher skill, but it's also because the gameplay changes substantially based on your input device.

You have games like Halo which are designed to work perfectly on consoles: slow, and slightly harder to die. These same things that make them work better on consoles increase the gap between gamepad and mouse+keyboard.

And that's fine. There is nothing wrong as long as the two are separate. But they really can't compete in any way resembling fair.

• @blakeyrat said:

Powerlord's link is better, but he started his post with "actually," so I ignored it.

Have you considered running for Congress?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

So your friends are bad at games.

I've watched you play CoD and you're pretty bad too, so your opinion about gamepads vs keyboard/mouse may be safely discounted.

@blakeyrat said:

gh I'm out of here, fuck this.

well, now we know how to make Civilized DiscourseTM on this forum--start right off by pissing blakeyrat off so much he abandons thread.

• I'm only bad when I'm drunk. Coincidentally, I only stream shit when I'm drunk. DO THE MATH. QED!!!

@blakeyrat said:

DO THE MATH.

You drink too much?

• Correct.

Holy shit, guys, mark the calendar.

• Was thinking about how my w§w binds would go if I try my 360 gamepad. Since it's a Quake derivative, I'd have to press jump once every 1.5 seconds on average. There isn't any button on the thing that I'd enjoy doing that with...

• kills Dumbledore

Whatever this wsw thing is, it seems to be slowly corrupting your mind as very time you mention it it's less intelligible. Is it a game form the mind of Cthulu?

@Jaloopa said:

Is it a game form the mind of Cthulu?

For some reason this makes me think of “Ringtone of Cthulhu”. I don't know why. I suppose it beats “Conference call of Cthulhu”, which is the second piece of random I have to offer…

• kills Dumbledore

• If mentioning that it is a Quake derivative does not shine the True Light upon your weak, pathetic soul, naught can be done.

• @ben_lubar said:

Word of warning: if you're conversing with an NPC on Skyrim, make sure you actually selected the option you wanted to and not some other option that you moused over for 0 seconds.

There is a simple mod that fixes this nicely, but I'm with blakey on this: use a controller. Sky-UI also works very well with a controller.

• @Magus said:

Was thinking about how my w§w binds

What the fuck is the name of this game? Or are you talking about three distinct games?

@Magus said:

Since it's a Quake derivative, I'd have to press jump once every 1.5 seconds on average.

Ah yes, the pinnacle of all competitive FPS games: jumping around like a spazzy idiot. There's a reason nobody plays Quake anymore, can you guess what it is? Correct! They are avoiding you personally. (Also spaz-jumping makes everybody nauseous.)

@Magus said:

There isn't any button on the thing that I'd enjoy doing that with...

It's almost as if... jumping like a spaz isn't enjoyable gameplay, no matter what style of controller you use!

• @blakeyrat said:

no matter what style of controller you use!

Not a problem on a keyboard, though I've heard of people using mouse2 for it.

Besides, jumping around like a spaz is the foundation of some of the most successful franchises in history: Mario, Megaman, Kirby (double the spaz), Sonic...

• @Magus said:

Not a problem on a keyboard, though I've heard of people using mouse2 for it.

I'm not saying it's difficult to do, I'm saying its irritating and not at all fun.

@Magus said:

Besides, jumping around like a spaz is the foundation of some of the most successful franchises in history: Mario, Megaman, Kirby (double the spaz), Sonic...

Ok, first of all: Nintendo games are shit

Secondly, Sonic is not a spaz. TAKE IT BACK!

• Capcom and HAL want a word with you.

• I don't think I'd qualify Kirby as a spazzy jumper so much as a slow floater.

• When you fall, sure. But when you want to go up? JUMPJUMPJUMPJUMPJUMP.

• ... how is it possible the same person plays both Kirby and a ripoff of Quake III? Isn't Kirby for like 6-year-olds? Like a "my first video game"-type presentation? WTF man.

• @blakeyrat said:

ripoff of Quake III

Oh wow. The best part is, the truth would probably make you more angry. I'll spare you.

@blakeyrat said:

Isn't Kirby for like 6-year-olds?

What does that have to do with being successful? Next you're going to say that Pokemon isn't a successful game because it's marketed at children, or that WoW isn't a successful game because it's only targeted at people who like MMOs.

• @Magus said:

Oh wow. The best part is, the truth would probably make you more angry. I'll spare you.

Ooo, ooo, what is the truth?! Magus is an idiot? Because I already knew that, and I'm not angry.

@Magus said:

What does that have to do with being successful?

Nothing? Who said it did? Certainly not me.

If you're not replying to something I said, I'd appreciate it if you didn't quote my text and make one of those little blue numbers appear at the top of the screen. You idiot.

• Ah, so you say things that mean nothing. I listed things that are successful, and you said it was for 6yos. Totally irrelevant statement.

And, because you asked:
    Warsow started as a Q2 mod.
    Then became standalone when the source was opened.
    ...And now contains no more Id code (really, it's far beyond any of the Quake engines as far as features go).
    ...And is *gasp, the horror!* Open Source.

• @Magus said:

I listed things that are successful, and you said it was for 6yos.

No; I asked why you played it if it's for 6-year-olds. You're the ONLY one in this thread implying that "for 6-year-olds" and "successful" are somehow mutually-exclusive. Apparently that idea is so strong in your mind that you assume it's in mine as well.

@Magus said:

And, because you asked:Warsow started as a Q2 mod.

Ok, now what about War§ow or w§w? Were those also Q2 mods?

@Magus said:

...And now contains no more Id code (really, it's far beyond any of the Quake engines as far as features go).

There is no way this is a true statement.

Quake 4's on idTech4. There's no fucking way, man. You're living in a cloud of delusion.

@Magus said:

...And is gasp, the horror! Open Source.

Which part of this was the horrible secret? Because it all sounds like tedium to me. "Oh hey some open source idiots ripped-off a commercial game instead of making their own!" Such a rare story, you only hear that exact narrative about 47 times a year.

• @blakeyrat said:

No; I asked why you played it if it's for 6-year-olds. You're the ONLY one in this thread implying that "for 6-year-olds" and "successful" are somehow mutually-exclusive. Apparently that idea is so strong in your mind that you assume it's in mine as well.

Aren't you the one who hates assumptions? Pinning things on people falsely? How do you know what games I play? What gives you the right to tell me my thoughts?

@blakeyrat said:

Ok, now what about War§ow or w§w? Were those also Q2 mods?

The logo uses the § symbol. Abbreviations are things that exist.

@blakeyrat said:

Quake 4's on idTech4. There's no fucking way, man. You're living in a cloud of delusion.

Yes, an old game no one likes is on an old engine no one likes. If they released a Quake on idTech5, you might have a point.

@blakeyrat said:

Which part of this was the horrible secret?

Well, the impression you seem to be trying to give off is a general hatred for open source. Didn't think that needed explaining, but I'll remember to use small words in the future.

• @Magus said:

Aren't you the one who hates assumptions? Pinning things on people falsely?

Right; I do hate that. Remember? You JUST DID IT TO ME like 4 posts back.

@Magus said:

How do you know what games I play? What gives you the right to tell me my thoughts?

Since the reason we're talking about this is you first told me my thoughts... do you not see the hypocrisy? Did you really just type that with zero self-awareness?

I'm going to take this little baby-whine as a sign that I am exactly on-target here.

@Magus said:

Well, the impression you seem to be trying to give off is a general hatred for open source.

And that makes the game a terrible secret because...? I am not connecting idea 1 with idea 2 here, buddy.

Oh wait let me guess, this is another case of you "telling me my thoughts" and you're conflating (somehow?) "hate" with "deny the existence of"? That's the best guess I got here.

• ♿ (Parody)

Those don't look like Happy Trees.

• @blakeyrat said:

you first told me my thoughts

Yeah, that was the time that I said... Oh wait, no, the first one was when you decided what games I play. Lets try this again.

I haven't played a kirby game in a few years, and don't quite agree with your assertion. But I'm certainly not a rabid kirby fan, so if someone analyzes it in a way I don't, all good.

@blakeyrat said:

And that makes the game a terrible secret because...? I am not connecting idea 1 with idea 2 here, buddy.

Oh wait let me guess, this is another case of you "telling me my thoughts" and you're conflating (somehow?) "hate" with "deny the existence of"? That's the best guess I got here.

1. Blakey hates open source.
    2. Warsow is open source.
    3. Blakey would likely be annoyed to hear 2, because 1.
    4. I won't mention it unless he asks, because 3.

• GODDAMMIT why can't I post files that match the regex ^72850_screenshots_[0-9]{4}(-[0-9]{2}){2}_[0-9]{5}\.jpg$ in peace?

• No! I refuse to buy an Oculus Rift before it's done! Noooooo!

• The distant stuff is pretty shitty unless you get a mod that increases the polygon count of the skybox drastically. Look at the colors of those trees in the front compared to the forest, for example.

• Skyrim doesn't even work on Oculus, or am I missing something?

• There are several companies working on getting games that aren't developed for it to work. It wouldn't surprise me if they add support officially at some point, but I'm not betting on it. Either way, I don't feel like trusting beta hardware, so I'll wait for the release.

• @Magus said:

It wouldn't surprise me if they add support officially at some point, but I'm not betting on it.

It wouldn't? Bethesda washed its hand of it like a year ago. They even did a press release that was like, "yo, we done with Skyrim, yo."

• @ben_lubar said:

GODDAMMIT why can't I post files that match the regex ^72850_screenshots_[0-9]{4}(-[0-9]{2}){2}_[0-9]{5}\.jpg$ in peace?

Are those male or female screenshots?

• Oh? Alright then. Modders love the game? Maybe? If no workable solution exists after the release, I'll play the game properly.