Missing reply indicators

• Here's a pair of posts, one replying to the other. Notice no [x] replies indicator on the top one.

Clicking on the ↗ ⤴ ↪ @tarunik thing shows the grey post, as expected.

Clicking it again hides the post, and now you can see 2 Replies.

• BINNED

I think it's intentional: if there's only one reply, and that reply is directly below the post, there is no counter. It should appear if another reply is made, or there is a post in between them. I seem to recall discussing this with Discodevs in the early Days Of Discord.

So yeah, intentional Discoursistency. I think. CBA to try and search for it though.

• The posts I screenshotted weren't the first time I saw it happen in that thread. I saw it happen before on older posts, so I was ready to take the before screenshot with this set, and I think I saw the same behaviour with only one reply to the post, whether it was right after or not.

And besides, the second reply was an hour old by the time I was reading both; it was right below the first reply in my screenshots, with stuff after it.

Edit: also this

• BINNED

Well, poo.

I know there was something like this that was intentional, but it might be something else. Or changed. But yeah, genuine bug then.

TIL: Defending Discodevs is always wrong. Even if the defence is just saying that it's broken by design, not in code.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Onyx said:

I think it's intentional: if there's only one reply, and that reply is directly below the post, there is no counter. It should appear if another reply is made, or there is a post in between them. I seem to recall discussing this with Discodevs in the early Days Of Discord.

Whether the reply to indicator stuff shows for a post directly below the one it's replying to or not is an admin config option.

• @hungrier said:

Clicking it again hides the post, and now you can see 2 Replies.

I think that's a consequence of the replies to the post being streamed in? Maybe?

@loopback0 said:

Whether the reply to indicator stuff shows for a post directly below the one it's replying to or not is an admin config option.

This is all I have (which was added in May after we got Borged and complained.)

Yeah - badly phrased but that's what I was getting at.

Whatever happened in the OP still a bug then.

• Banned

Those settings were not added in May.

I think @riking has the correct diagnosis.