Missing reply indicators



  • Here's a pair of posts, one replying to the other. Notice no [x] replies indicator on the top one.

    Clicking on the :arrow_upper_right: :arrow_heading_up: :arrow_right_hook: @tarunik thing shows the grey post, as expected.

    Clicking it again hides the post, and now you can see 2 Replies.


  • :belt_onion:

    I think it's intentional: if there's only one reply, and that reply is directly below the post, there is no counter. It should appear if another reply is made, or there is a post in between them. I seem to recall discussing this with Discodevs in the early Days Of Discord.

    So yeah, intentional Discoursistency. I think. CBA to try and search for it though.



  • The posts I screenshotted weren't the first time I saw it happen in that thread. I saw it happen before on older posts, so I was ready to take the before screenshot with this set, and I think I saw the same behaviour with only one reply to the post, whether it was right after or not.

    And besides, the second reply was an hour old by the time I was reading both; it was right below the first reply in my screenshots, with stuff after it.

    Edit: also this


  • :belt_onion:

    Well, poo.

    I know there was something like this that was intentional, but it might be something else. Or changed. But yeah, genuine bug then.

    TIL: Defending Discodevs is always wrong. Even if the defence is just saying that it's broken by design, not in code.



  • @Onyx said:

    I think it's intentional: if there's only one reply, and that reply is directly below the post, there is no counter. It should appear if another reply is made, or there is a post in between them. I seem to recall discussing this with Discodevs in the early Days Of Discord.

    Whether the reply to indicator stuff shows for a post directly below the one it's replying to or not is an admin config option.



  • @hungrier said:

    Clicking it again hides the post, and now you can see 2 Replies.

    I think that's a consequence of the replies to the post being streamed in? Maybe?


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @loopback0 said:

    Whether the reply to indicator stuff shows for a post directly below the one it's replying to or not is an admin config option.

    This is all I have (which was added in May after we got Borged and complained.)



  • Yeah - badly phrased but that's what I was getting at.

    Whatever happened in the OP still a bug then.


  • Banned

    Those settings were not added in May.

    I think @riking has the correct diagnosis.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.