The Annual Leave Tool

• It's an Excel spreadsheet implementing a (single-concurrent-user) username/password/access level system for something fairly inconsequential - booking days off - for internal use only, but still...

Known Issues:

1. If a user has set the windows parameter so that the file extensions are visible for known filetypes, then the Annual Leave Tool will fail. To turn rectify this: go into Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, tab(view):’Hide extensions for known filetypes’ should be turned ON

Yes, there is no number 2.

• Oh yeah, I remember that option...

Also know as the "please hide all viruses so they can pretend to be harmless text files" option. 

• [quote user="bobday"]

1. If
    a user has set the windows parameter so that the file extensions are visible
    for known filetypes, then the Annual Leave Tool will fail. To turn rectify
    this: go into Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, tab(view):’Hide
    extensions for known filetypes’ should be turned ON

[/quote]

I give up.  How did they implement that bug?

• [quote user="bobday"]

It's an Excel spreadsheet implementing a (single-concurrent-user) username/password/access level system for something fairly inconsequential - booking days off - for internal use only, but still...

Known Issues:

1. If a user has set the windows parameter so that the file extensions are visible for known filetypes, then the Annual Leave Tool will fail. To turn rectify this: go into Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, tab(view):’Hide extensions for known filetypes’ should be turned ON

Yes, there is no number 2.

[/quote]

Oh... my...   I know that's the default, but it's the first thing I change when I get a new ms box.  Gigantic security, well, not hole exactly, but issue for the unwary.  And how in the world do they make that cause failure?  That's just nurtz.

• [quote user="Carnildo"][quote user="bobday"]

1. If

[/quote]

I give up.  How did they implement that bug?

[/quote]

The only way I can imagine that possibly working is if they're somehow graphically using explorer.

Or, the guy who wrote the known issues list was wrong about the source of the issue...

• [quote user="bobday"]

1. If

[/quote]

I know there are some Excel formulas that take filenames as inputs, but displayed filenames as inputs?  That's just disgusting.

• I actually ran into this type of issue with file names and extensions.  I can't remember exactly how to duplicate it but it has to do with Visual Basic and the FileSystemObject.  The FileSystemObject actually uses the explorer settings to format some of it's return values, so it isn't really a VB issue but more of a FSO WTF.  Add this to the fact that most office "development" used VBScript and would therefore use the FSO instead of its low level file IO and I can see how this can happen.