Game Deals Thread

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Well, sure, but we're talking about different games.

I'm branching out into more complex gameplay than that typically afforded by Hunters, which are rightly called Easy Mode. It takes more practice and skill, though.

@blakeyrat said:

There's a third option

I knew you'd find an obnoxious third option, because that's what you are.

• @accalia said:

to be more specific it's the games portrayal of extreme capitalism.
    [...]
    (and a scary one at that in the case of Cerberus (in particular what they do in ME3))

Huh? Have I missed half the story or something? Or maybe you did 😛

Cerberus weren't a company, they were a independent paramilitary organisation for the advancement and defense of humanity at any cost. They didn't fix Joker because doing so would not have helped humanity (collectively, would have been nice for Joker though!) They did HAVE some companies, but only to provide funding for their armies, agents and tech (spending a bajillion credits on Shepard and the Normandy 2 wasn't a very good way to make money for example!)

Their overall plans were about the power and glory of the human race, they weren't trying to line their own pockets.

• @FrostCat said:

so the DPS guys don't have to worry about that

usually this is not true. The DPS often have contributions to make to tanking, healing or both. some DPS can throw out free heals now and again, some can remove damaging debuffs, some can boost tank threat.

The most important contribution however is minimizing taking damage. Every raid boss does significant damage to people who mess up in some way. from standing in the fire to not running away from the boss at the right time or failing to run through that god damn maze properly.

The only dps who don't care about taking damage are dungeons/raid finder dps.

I cancelled my subscription after beating garrosh on normal (now heroic) difficulty, and trying heroic (now mythic I think? obv with different raid size) and deciding it really wasn't for me (bosses too similar to normal mode, extra challenge was frustrating rather than enjoyable). Haven't come back, but been a little tempted.

Hearthstone is just better, a much more fun game. That and I got pokeymans to play.

• chuckles at the term "Easy Mode" applied to a specific WoW class

So, does that mean you only get a cookie once every other level, instead of twice a level, then?

snerk

(P.S. should I call what I deal with in Eve "Nintendo Hard Mode"? I have seen the aftermath of a bungled capital escalation, and the term for it is OMGWTFBBQ because 28 Sleepless Guardians will do that to you, no matter who you are or what you're flying.)

• I can't tell you. I've never carrier ratted.

Dem incursions though

https://i.imgur.com/nitBT.png

These were simple unless Logi fell asleep, which was quite possible. I know, I was one of them :3

• @JazzyJosh said:

These were simple unless Logi fell asleep, which was quite possible. I know, I was one of them :3

Yeah -- capital escalations in W-space seem simple at first, until you warp one too many dreads in and wind up with twenty Sleepless Guardians on the field at once. Then it gets exciting for your carrier pilot, or at least exciting enough for him to drop into triage mode and turn into a pure healbot while you tag and bag Sleepers in a crazy scramble to get the DPS and energy neuting down to a manageable level. At that point, you're hoping that your carrier has all the attention, because twenty Sleepless Guardians can make life rather hard for a sieged dreadnaught, or for your Lokis for that matter -- you know your capacitor is hosed when your Damage Control complains about not having enough juice to run on.

EDIT: Heaven help you if you run with Huginns or Rapiers instead of Lokis -- I wonder how many Sleepless Guardians it takes to alpha a recon off the field...

• @tarunik said:

you know your capacitor is hosed when your Damage Control complains about not having enough juice to run on.

Dear God Man.

• [quote=GodMan]
    You rang?
    [/quote]

Post cannot be empty...

• @Magus said:

Post cannot be empty...
    #

• Java Dev

Actually, healers in WoW usually use mouseover targeting on the raid frames (mouse over injured party member, hit a button to cast heal).

This can be combined with macros that target the primary or focus targets. Personally I DPS the target, CC the focus, and maybe I should set up a mouseover macro for my battle rez.

I also use nameplates (and click targeting. To hell with tab.) with DoT effect display for multi-target fights.

• @algorythmics said:

Hearthstone is just better, a much more fun game.

It was fun until they released an update that locked-up every Windows 8.1 computer when the game exited. Fuck that noise. Blizzard obviously adopted the "Atwood QA Method" at some point, and I'm not letting their shit fuck with my computer ever again.

• @blakeyrat said:

Hearthstone is just better, a much more fun game.

I know that the whole point of Hearthstone is that you can't interrupt actions, but it really annoys me that you can't interrupt actions.

Also apparently Blakeyrat is now algorythmics. Thanks @discoursebot

• @JazzyJosh - Days Since Last Discourse Bug: 0

• @JazzyJosh said:

I know that the whole point of Hearthstone is that you can't interrupt actions, but it really annoys me that you can't interrupt actions.

So it's a "wait until you draw to the combo, then massacre the other guy, unless he does that first" game?

@tarunik said:

chuckles at the term "Easy Mode" applied to a specific WoW class

So, does that mean you only get a cookie once every other level, instead of twice a level, then?

No, it means Hunters have a simpler attack rotation, basically. Before the WoD changes, my 90 had one main basic attack that had about a 3 second cast and did something like 100-150K damage, meaning it was a one-shot kill to most non-bosses. It uses up enough energy that you can only cast it about twice in a row before waiting for the cooldown. There's other attacks in the moveset, obviously, but that one meets most of your needs

Contrast that with a Warrior, who needs to run in, probably dodge more, and has a larger number of weaker attacks, so you need to remember 6 or whatever, manage cooldowns, wait for procs from regular attacks so you can use specials, and so on.

@PleegWat said:

click targeting. To hell with tab.)

Maybe it's me but sometimes I have a hard time picking the right mob when trying to click target if my pet's in the middle of a 4-mob melee.

• I haven't played much so I can't refute that statement but this is ridiculous.

He plays a card that gives all other minions that turn haste, two cards that gain +1 damage each time any minion takes damage. followed by a card or two that deals 1 damage to all minions.

BTW, you can't leave the game during the animation of that either. You can't open the menu. Even if you Alt + F4 when you open it back up it makes you wait for the animation to finish before it will let you do anything.

EDIT: Ok, Discourse can't even figure out that that's a VOD not a channel, so here's a Youtube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt4dnEFZoA8

• So -- you have your choice of what's under your mouse pointer, the group primary, the group focus, or the last thing you clicked on...still seems pretty lame to me. Then again, when flying logistics in Eve...you have your up and your down capacitor chain partners locked all the time, as well as anything important or hard-to-keep-track-of enough to merit a permalock (such as your FC, a squishy ship such as an ECM boat, something like a neuting Legion that will be wanting boatloads of capacitor thrown his way, or even an alt you're dualboxing so you don't leave your alt hanging out to dry). Then you have a set of target locks that you cycle in and out for getting reps and cap to the rest of your fleet on an as-needed basis, and finally, there's one or two lock slots you might reserve for putting drones on something -- either a DPS primary, a pesky tackler frigate, or some annoying hostile drones buzzing around.

Of course, you have to balance this with lock times and how much incoming ECM pressure you're getting -- having to scramble to get a bunch of relocks in place every 30s or so is not good for your effectiveness as a logistics pilot or your blood pressure, for that matter. In that case, you have your up, your down, and one or two things you hope to get a rep cycle off on! (And a mobile depot deployed so you can swap your propmod for that extra ECCM you've been carrying with you, right?)

EDIT: and oh, I forgot about having to make sure that you're still in the right place so you don't wind up

1. out of range of a capacitor partner -- good way to be very dead as you won't get repair support from them that way, either
    2. too far away from your fleet to repair who you're supposed to be repairing -- there's enough going on that forgetting the obvious is possible, or
    3. too close to the enemy, where you can have scramblers, webifiers, energy neuts, and close-range DPS brought to bear on you -- although this is rather unavoidable in some circumstances. Thankfully, the Guardian-class was built to take a beating -- there are times when you and your partners will have to be in the center of the action, using your small signature, high resistances, and mutual repair abilities to soak up the savagery the enemy fleet is inflicting upon you.

Filed under: hard to beat having ten things targeted at once

• Advanced Targeting Logistics V best V lolno Logistics V best V

• @Maciejasjmj said:

So it's a "wait until you draw to the combo, then massacre the other guy, unless he does that first" game?

The game is very carefully made so that it isnt like this, there isn't a combo or plan of attack that can ignore the board state like exist in many other games. Sometimes (very rarely, if you make an otherwise shitty deck to give you the ability to do this, and even then not if your opponent generates armor or something while you set up) you can from an empty board play a minion and buff it up enough to kill your opponent. If you have the right 6 or so cards, and your opponent doesn't have a taunt minion, and your opponent doesnt have any secrets or other triggers that can get in your way.

hearthstone as a game cannot function without playing and interacting with minions. This is completely different from magic the gathering, where perfectly viable decks exist which can often have literally 0-1 creatures in them. I have played magic as well for the last 5 years or so. I totally agree that interacting with your opponent during their turn really adds a lot of depth that can be great fun, but it also adds an insane amount of complexity, and that complexity REALLY doesn't lend itself to a digital game. MTGO is fucking trash, and part of that is because the game is fundamentally incompatible with a simple clean digital user interface. Face to face is another matter though.

When I play magic, I play pretty much exclusively non-creature decks. My legacy deck of choice is ad nauseam tendrils (without creatures in the board) with which I have had decent finishes (but the UK doesn't have tournaments on the same scale as SCG). My point being I thoroughly enjoy the creatureless decks as a concept in magic the gathering, and am well versed with it. It doesn't, and will never work in hearthstone. The moment you rely on creatures, you increase the level of required interaction in your own turn by several orders of magnitude.

@JazzyJosh said:

BTW, you can't leave the game during the animation of that either. You can't open the menu. Even if you Alt + F4 when you open it back up it makes you wait for the animation to finish before it will let you do anything.

Sort of true sort of not. You concession will be queued until your game has caught up with all the actions your opponent performed before your concession was registered with the server. Your client runs a couple of seconds behind your opponent's, and your opponent can complete actions before their animations complete. In order to prevent simultaneous concedes wreaking havoc, they let all of that queue of actions complete before it happens. You can tell it's coming sometimes from the other side because if in the middle of your chain of actions to kill the opponent it will tell you "It's not your turn" and prevent the actions from being completed, that's because your opponent conceded but you have to catch up to that point.

I agree it would be nice if they could tweak that a little though, but that's why it happens.

• Java Dev

@FrostCat said:

Maybe it's me but sometimes I have a hard time picking the right mob when trying to click target if my pet's in the middle of a 4-mob melee.

Just click targeting is quite independent. In options you can turn on nameplates, which is a clickable health bar + name above each mob. Those are more reliable, unless the mobs are running around your pet a lot, in which case you're screwed. Still try the settings.

• Java Dev

Yeah, eve sounds way more complicated than wow. I think I knew that already.

I never played it though.

@PleegWat said:

In options you can turn on nameplates, which is a clickable health bar + name above each mob. Those are more reliable, unless the mobs are running around your pet a lot, in which case you're screwed. Still try the settings.

Nameplates is what I meant, sorry. The very first thing I do with a new character is hit V to turn 'em on. I can't imagine why that's not the default.

• Java Dev

I've unbound the hotkey so I don't accidentally turn it off.

Clever, although I haven't done that enough for it to be a bother. Like I said, I wish it was on by default.

• Since when were we comparing WoW to EVE?

• kills Dumbledore

@JazzyJosh said:

Since when were we comparing WoW to EVE?

Since nerds took over this conversation about video gaming

• Implying you weren't expecting nerds to show up when you start talking about games.

• > Not escaping your >s

Also, that topic is likely not the source of the nerds, but rather this website in general. That is, I believe, the point?

• @FrostCat said:

I despise that the word "mob" now means "one enemy".... a mob is a group/horde!

• Back when I was a complete noob at programming, I tried using this game creation software called BYOND. It's standard movable thing was called a 'mob' or 'mobile object' - I think this may not be limited to only this scope.

• @Magus said:

Back when I was a complete noob at programming, I tried using this game creation software called BYOND. It's standard movable thing was called a 'mob' or 'mobile object' - I think this may not be limited to only this scope.

This is probably the source of it. I think it came into common usage with non-programmers with Minecraft, since the update notes referred to critters and enemies as mobs.

@KillaCoder said:

I despise that the word "mob" now means "one enemy"

Yeah, but I think the etymology here comes from "mobile".

Edit: hanzo'ed

@hungrier said:

I think it came into common usage with non-programmers with Minecraf

Oh, long before that. I think players were already using that term back in 2000 when I was playing UO.

• FoxDev

i think we can blame blizard. iirc they first started using it in patch notes to refer to NPC species. then players genealize it to indovidual members of same species....

damn WoW....

• Actually thought it was Minecraft's fault too. Good to know they are carrying on a long legacy of silly... I guess...

• Implying that wasn't intentional

Implying implications

• It's apparently older than everyone thought.

• blizard, genealize, indovidual

Typing with your tails again?

• Interesting! I'm going to continue to call them enemies or monsters though. Like a sane human :)

• FoxDev

naw. was standing and using on screen keyboard on the surface3.

that means thanks to the docked edit window i can't see what i'm typing.

though i love that expressions. i'll have to remember it in teh future.

• Maybe they'll adapt the current phone keyboard, so that that comes out:

Blow-hard, genesis, introspective

I actually think that keyboard is good, but sometimes...

• FoxDev

maybe discourse will eventually let me undock the edit window so i can move it where i can see it when using the OSK.

;-)

• Do you have more faith in Microsoft, or Jeff?

• FoxDev

@Magus said:

Do you have more faith in Microsoft, or Jeff?

between the two?

the geometric mean of the two?

• Well, you have a Surface, right? Do you like it better than Discourse?

• FoxDev

@Magus said:

Well, you have a Surface, right?

yeeeeeeeeeeees?

@Magus said:

Do you like it better than Discourse?

I like many things better than discourse.

I like many things more than Tali'Zorah vas Surface3.

• What about Sam?

• Emergency Capacitive Resistance Screen