5-year-old british kid passes LSD exam

• @Intercourse said:

Next on the list was the stupid high taxes on booze. I needed a bottle of Jack Daniel's so I went to the liquor store closest to my hotel. No prices on anything, I go to the counter with a fifth of JD and it was $47. I told the clerk I could buy a 1750ml for that much back home. His reply: "Welcome to Taxachusetts son."

I-95 Northbound, Between Exits 1 and 2
    Hampton, New Hampshire 03842

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@chubertdev said:

I-95 Northbound, Between Exits 1 and 2Hampton, New Hampshire 03842

Huh?

• Tax-free liquor store, just across the border in NH. 😃

Google Maps shows that as 1h6m from Boston. It would cost me more in fuel and a hell of a lot more in opportunity cost. ;)

Another thing I found odd about Massachusetts, Cape Cod is a fucking dump. It smells of rotten shellfish (because the beaches are covered in them) and a lot of the houses for rent there do not have a/c.

• I usually made it in less than 30 mins 😊

Also, you should have gone to Point Judith

@chubertdev said:

Also, you should have gone to Point Judith

I will keep that in mind for the future. Our vacation to Cape Cod was a disaster. If my wife and I were not good travelers, there might have been a divorce. Lesser married couples would have lost their collective feces.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Intercourse said:

is that there are billboards for major brands written in the Bostonian accent.

Like what? I'm just curious, I don't recall anything like that. You mean something like a billboard for "Hertz Rent-a-cah"?

@Intercourse said:

Next on the list was the stupid high taxes on booze. [...] "Welcome to Taxachusetts son."

Yep. Lots of Northeast states have bullshit like that, including Pennsylvania, which seems to think that if you could buy booze in grocery stores instead of State Liquor stores, society would come crashing down.

BTW, the usual thing to do is gin up an excuse[1] to drive up I-95 and stop at the NH State Liquor store 500 feet or whatever over the border and get your booze there. While you're up there, buy a refrigerator or something and skip out on the MA state sales tax.

[1] heh.

@Intercourse said:

a lot of the houses for rent there do not have a/c.

That's true of the entire state! In large swaths of it, you don't NEED it for enough of the year to be worth it. I grew up in the Berkshires, and we just kept the windows open with fans in them for the week or two it was too hot. We didn't even have a single window A/C unit.

@FrostCat said:

Like what? I'm just curious, I don't recall anything like that. You mean something like a billboard for "Hertz Rent-a-cah"?

It was so bad that I cannot even remember what the hell it said, also I could not even read it. It was that bad. Had I not been driving through downtown Boston, I would have taken a picture of it. Google Images failed me in trying to find an example. I do remember that one was for an Infiniti dealership as I was thinking of buying an FX45 or FX50 at the time.

@FrostCat said:

In large swaths of it, you don't NEED it for enough of the year to be worth it.

Well, I must have planned poorly and been there for the two weeks that you did need it, because I was miserable the whole time. Luckily two of the bedrooms had window units, or I would have been a cranky bastard. I dig my a/c.

@Intercourse said:

Well, I must have planned poorly and been there for the two weeks that you did need it

That is, in fact, possible.

When I lived in Salem, we had two window A/C units, which kept most of the apartment comfortable. I don't remember how long we used them each summer; it's hotter longer in the east than in the Berkshires.

• @FrostCat said:

BTW, the usual thing to do is gin up an excuse[1] to drive up I-95 and stop at the NH State Liquor store 500 feet or whatever over the border and get your booze there. While you're up there, buy a refrigerator or something and skip out on the MA state sales tax.

Booze Hanzo'd!

@chubertdev said:

Booze Hanzo'd!

Nope, I knew "just drive up and get yer booze" wouldn't be cost-effective. That's why I suggested he get something more expensive while he was there.

Or wait for an opportunity to do same. It'd be kind of silly to buy a fridge to justify driving that far to buy your booze.

@FrostCat said:

Or wait for an opportunity to do same. It'd be kind of silly to buy a fridge to justify driving that far to buy your booze.

Or, if I lived in the area (because someone staying at a hotel and driving a rental car has little need for a refrigerator), just buy a whole carload of booze so that economies of scale and opportunity cost were on my side.

Although, considering my daily rate when I work out of town, I would need a Suburban to carry enough booze to make it cost-effective. ;)

• @FrostCat said:

Nope, I knew "just drive up and get yer booze" wouldn't be cost-effective. That's why I suggested he get something more expensive while he was there.

You did forget to mention the fireworks, though.

@chubertdev said:

You did forget to mention the fireworks, though.

Don't they check licenses and refuse to sell to Massholes, though?

@FrostCat said:

Massholes

+1

• @FrostCat said:

Don't they check licenses and refuse to sell to Massholes, though?

Not the last time that I was there. Although I'm not from MA.

@chubertdev said:

Hmmm. Maybe they stopped--I think they used to, because once you cross the state line, you become too stupid to handle anything more than a sparkler.

@chubertdev said:

You pronounce "R's", they knew you were not from MA.

• @FrostCat said:

Hmmm. Maybe they stopped--I think they used to, because once you cross the state line, you become too stupid to handle anything more than a sparkler.

This was back in the late 90s, when my family vacationed in the White Mountains every summer.

• @Intercourse said:

You pronounce "R's", they knew you were not from MA.

http://what.thedailywtf.com/t/5-year-old-british-kid-passes-lsd-exam/4925/341?u=chubertdev

• @FrostCat said:

Ohio's rule is that they will only sell the good stuff to people who aren't from Ohio and who promise to leave with the goods within 24 hours.

• @Jaime said:

Ohio's rule is that they will only sell the good stuff to people who aren't from Ohio and who promise to leave with the goods within 24 hours.

Sounds like South Carolina. My grandparents have a neighbor who drives 18-wheelers, often goes down there. It's easy to find his house on the 4th of July.

@chubertdev said:

Sounds like South Carolina. My grandparents have a neighbor who drives 18-wheelers, often goes down there. It's easy to find his house on the 4th of July.

That was me, too. Mortars, yay! And the best part was it's not so out of the ordinary that anyone called the police. (That happened to me once in Fort Lauderdale, but they only wanted me to move behind the apartment building so the smoke wouldn't go into the street as much.)

• @Intercourse said:

I needed a bottle of Jack Daniel's

Heh. I like the honesty. You didn't want one you needed one!

@FrostCat said:

That's true of the entire state! In large swaths of it, you don't NEED it for enough of the year to be worth it.

The concept of houses needing AC was really weird to me initially. AC was always in my mind as a big bulky machine that only factories and the largest offices and shops needed. We're more concerned about heating here :)

@KillaCoder said:

AC was always in my mind as a big bulky machine that only factories and the largest offices and shops needed. We're more concerned about heating here

Yeah, there's probably a connection between those two sentences. :)

By contrast, the US South didn't really take off, population-wise, until widespread cheap AC, more or less.

And for 6 months in Dallas, it's 95-110F. Most people don't want to live in that kind of heat if they can avoid it.

@KillaCoder said:

Heh. I like the honesty. You didn't want one you needed one!

No need to mince words around here. We can be honest. Plus, I had just spent an afternoon trying to nail down a final RFP from a group of people with no "R's". ;-)

• Back in the '80's I heard the S defined as "Swinging".

• @FrostCat said:

How else would we keep the place nice by sending undesirables to places like Chicago?

Well, I finally have a believable explanation as to why so many things are a WTF up here...

• @mott555 said:

I finally watched Skyfall and really wanted to strangle Q through the entire movie. Between saying idiotic things like "I'm tracing the encryption signal", plugging in software from a known hacker directly into MI6's inner network, and all the hex code scrolling on the screen with characters > F, and of course his arrogant Mac hipster douche appearance.

I guess there is no such thing as IT consultants for movie plots.

Hacking in the movies:

Hacking in real life (for n00bs):

Criminal real life social engineering hacking of not too bright users or not paying attention users:

Elite Hacking:
    FILE_NOT_FOUND (yet).

LOL--the Canadian government wants Euros? Pull the other one--it's got bells on.

• Not only do they want 100 euros, they want you to pay that 100 euros using a $250... voucher?

• FoxDev

maybe they were adjusting for conversion factor (which appears to have changed since the scam was screencapped)

Well, hell, the idea that you have to get some random e-cash instead of just putting in your credit card number is pretty suspicious, too.

• FoxDev

@FrostCat said:

Well, hell, the idea that you have to get some random e-cash instead of just putting in your credit card number is pretty suspicious, too.

TBH putting in your credit card would trip my red flag radar too.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@FrostCat said:

just putting in your credit card

No no, this is the government we're talking about. If it was legit, it'd block everything until you physically walk to city hall with three separate forms and a cheque (the forms and to-line information are helpfully provided on the website you can't access because the internet is blocked by the notice). The office is open 3 days a week from 8am to 9am and 3pm until 4pm, and they won't help people in line when they close, so you have to take a whole day off work to show up early enough to get in. Don't forget four forms of ID!

@accalia said:

TBH putting in your credit card would trip my red flag radar too.

Yeah, well, that too. If that were legit, I'd consider a redirect to a government website where you'd put in your CC to be....well, less suspicious, given that you can do things like pay traffic tickets online.

• ♿ (Parody)

Do they have Internet yet in Canada?

@Yamikuronue said:

No no, this is the government we're talking about.

If I could find it real quick, I'd post a link to an article I just read yesterday by a guy who's got some just-inked commercial contract with Kazakhstan or somewhere. He has to jump through a bunch of hoops to do it, and he wrote about how the first step, registering his company with his state, took literally a half hour from start to confirmation email, and the Federal government essentially sat on his request for two months (they sent him a pair of notices a month apart saying they were working on his request. When he finally called in, he was told that he shouldn't have gotten those notices, as there was actually a problem with the way he filled out the form. The upshot was that it took another month, taking up to about two days ago, for more or less nothing else to happen except that he got told how to fix the form and someone would eventually review it.

• FoxDev

@FrostCat said:

Yeah, well, that too. If that were legit, I'd consider a redirect to a government website where you'd put in your CC to be....well, less suspicious, given that you can do things like pay traffic tickets online.

yeah. still i'd do quite a bit more research before i pulled out my credit card.

Like actually phoning ISP/DOJ and inquiring about the notice if it managed to avoid raising red flags.

or even saying " you know they can't charge me with it unless they serve me with papers so this is 99.99999% sure to be a scammer, and if it is real then they'll probably take the settlement of "ok, tell you what i'll just pay the fine here and you file that charge away in the filing depot and we'll say no more about it"

and if they don't take that offer i can easily counter that i suspected their electronic communication was a scam and dealt with it the way i deal with all spam/scam mail. i deleted it. they still have to serve physical papers for it to be valid.

Snort. My research would consist of seeing how fast it took to call up Task Manager to kill the browser, to avoid any onunload handlers, after seeing the poor spelling.

• FoxDev

@FrostCat said:

after seeing the poor spelling.

i know people who work for DOJ as copy editors for their notices and stuff and their typing is worse than mine.

so that's not as strong a red flag for me as it might be in other states....

@accalia said:

i know people who work for DOJ as copy editors for their notices and stuff and their typing is worse than mine.

Native speakers tend to mangle sentences a different way. I'm sure you've seen stuff on failbook or even in real life with horrible barely-coherent run-on sentences. To a narrow approximation, all of this type of scammer are ESL and write things the way no native English speaker actually would, because even if you aren't capable of writing a coherent sentence, you grew up speaking English.

Also don't forget they actually do that on purpose now, to weed out non-gullible people, as those might try to do things like reverse charges or waste their time like the old 419 Eater web site.

• @FrostCat said:

Snort. My research would consist of seeing how fast it took to call up Task Manager to kill the browser, to avoid any onunload handlers, after seeing the poor spelling.

Problem is, most of these "notices" have been involved in ransomware schemes. You can't bring up task manager, because your entire computer is locked.

• FoxDev

@abarker said:

Problem is, most of these "notices" have been involved in ransomware schemes. You can't bring up task manager, because your entire computer is locked.

in that case it's pull the plug on the internet shut everything down, boot one at a time witnout internet using RescueDD (a known good linux based recovery distro) and scan the computer. recover irreplaceable files to a newly wiped HDD an ensure they are clean (if they cannot be guaranteed clean then delete and restore from last good backup later)

then nuke the machine with the best virus remover known to man. DBAN

ain't no ransomeware surviving that!

after all machines are cleaned/reimaged restore internet and recover lost files from backups.

of course that strategy requires you have a solid backup strategy.

@abarker said:

Hm. Could be--I've only ever seen the initial vector as a web page crafted to look like an antivirus dialog popup. The great thing is it always had Windows XP or 7 styling when I was on 7 or 8, so it was instantly obviously a fake.

• My aunt once had a randomware fake antivirus. It also closed the task manager. I found the executable, because they made a shortcut, and was entertained by how weird the location was. I used admin privileges to rename the executable and rebooted, so that it could no longer launch on startup, and deleted it.

It was fairly entertaining, really.

• It's not like you see screenshots this time of year about people "raping presents"

• My sister installed one of those on my mom's work laptop last year.

My sister is a high school student.