Haproxy, get original IP address for layer 4 (TCP)

• I'm messing with TCP-based stuff. I just realized my service will be behind haproxy on production machines and therein lies the problem. How do I get the original ip address for connection? Since the traffic is being redirected, all I can get is "127.0.0.1" or wherever haproxy will be.

It's easy with http, just stick it in the header. But what about pure TCP?

The canonical answer is: use a special kernel patch and custom compile haproxy to use it. HA! On the crappy crippled VPS-es I'm given, I can hardly get firewall to work. No go.

The things I've tried so far:

• Since I control communication on the receiving side, how about haproxy should just stick the IP in the data flow and I'll parse it on other side? Answer: No option in haproxy

• Ok, so how about I send some custom command, like haproxy sourceip and it sends me the data I want? Answer: No option

• Ok, how about I hook up my custom script that gets called for each connection, that gets passed connection info, and I merge the data through that? Answer: no option.

• Another option I missed: send-proxy command, that is a part of "PROXY" protocol. Answer: haproxy 1.5 minimum, see you in a few years (all I get are 1.3 and 1.4-s)

Right now, I'm considering parsing the haproxy logs and extracting the ip-s from there. Or just giving up.

Before that, any haproxy/linux guru here had a similar problem? Anything I'm missing?

• This post is deleted!

• Yeah, that shit doesn't fly with pure TCP, that's the issue.

• Ok, I got it. send-proxy option is the solution. It's exactly what I need. It's pain in the ass that I'd have to recompile all my haproxies to 1.5+, but it's better than having a daemon digging through logs (ugh).

For those interested, here's a quick rundown:

• Need haproxy 1.5+

• In your configuration, add send-proxy option

backend bk_cartman
        mode tcp
        timeout server 1m
        timeout connect 5s
        server srv_cartman 127.0.0.1:12345 send-proxy

• On the receiving end, as soon as connection is formed, you get something like this:
    proxy TCP4 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.2 52137 1034

That's IP version, source/destination IP, source/destination port. Couldn't be simpler. I like it.